PDA

View Full Version : Ugly game

100%duncan
11-21-2015, 10:56 PM
Thoughts:

-Parker gave some positive light on the 1st half, was off to a great start but regressed back in the 2nd half with a few dribble dribble signature moves

-Kawhi's shot is broken, still got 19 but it was an ugly 19. I wonder what his offense was like against NOP? I havent watched that game

-Manu again bailing us out but the 4th qtr he looked gassed. Coming from a rest day this seems concerning.

-KA played nice. But I think we should be rolling with butler this season.

-West seems to be fitting in. Aside from missed fts and all.

-Green has added attacking to his arsenal but Im not sure if this is better in the long run. We need his 3s more than ever.

All in all, we should have won by more considering grizz only had 1 3 pt fg. Very concerning to play this kind of pace against gsw. Theyll destroy us.

ElNono
11-21-2015, 10:58 PM
always ugly against the Grizz.... lots of physicality... Kawhi just couldn't hit anything until the very end... if he can get his shot to fall at 40% we win by 20

Calispursfan11
11-21-2015, 11:00 PM
always ugly against the Grizz.... lots of physicality... Kawhi just couldn't hit anything until the very end... if he can get his shot to fall at 40% we win by 20

Kawhi is folding under the pressure of stardom. You can see it in his eyes. He's like a deer in the headlights.

Southwest Texas Fan
11-21-2015, 11:01 PM
Kawhi didn't play well but I don't think his shot is broken.

loveforthegame
11-21-2015, 11:02 PM
I wish they'd get Leonard in the post. Especially more of that instead of looking for the ally oop. He's been so much better out of the double teams this season. That would open up the rest of his game again.

ElNono
11-21-2015, 11:03 PM
Kawhi is folding under the pressure of stardom. You can see it in his eyes. He's like a deer in the headlights.

nah, he's too young... he can only get better, which is scary for the rest of the NBA, tbh

Calispursfan11
11-21-2015, 11:03 PM
Kawhi didn't play well but I don't think his shot is broken.

He needs his shot to fall more often, otherwise, he's just the marginal maybe all-star again this year and might not even make the team come all-star break if this regression on offense continues. His handles and passing are too weak for his shot to leave him as well.

ElNono
11-21-2015, 11:05 PM
Not a fan of Kiwi shot selection, but you look at LMA, and he's made a career of that... most teams really take those shitty shots... I still think he can get "smarter" about it...

It's a process, he's now seeing double teams at times, and he has to learn to process all that...

From Downtown
11-21-2015, 11:06 PM
- I like what I've seen from him this season so far,but he needs to play like he did in the first half,get other involved and attack the rim,when he does he makes everybody so much better

- I'm not particulary concerned about it,his shot selection wasn't poor,he was just cold today

- I don't think he was gassed,the only real mistake was that layup he blew,but I believe he rushed it because the shot clock was expiring...plus it's true that when you get 5 days off you're getting rest,but in a league like the NBA you also have to kinda re-gain your rhythm

- Mmh I don't know,Kyle needs to play if we want him to improve

- Yeah West's playing better everyday,he can hit jumpers and is a great passer,so he's a great fit for our system

- Green has to stick to 3s,that's what we need and he's not good enough dribbling the ball,even if he had a few nice layups today

100%duncan
He needs his shot to fall more often, otherwise, he's just the marginal maybe all-star again this year and might not even make the team come all-star break if this regression on offense continues. His handles and passing are too weak for his shot to leave him as well.

Theyre making a kawhi a spot up shooter. His main strength if youve been following him is not the 3 :lol theyve completely went away from him I cant remember if he even had one post up play for the game, which is clearly his main strength aside from his steal dunk special.

loveforthegame
2 bad shooting nights and Leonard is folding? Seriously?

Calispursfan11
11-21-2015, 11:07 PM
Not a fan of Kiwi shot selection, but you look at LMA, and he's made a career of that... most teams really take those shitty shots... I still think he can get "smarter" about it...

It's a process, he's now seeing double teams at times, and he has to learn to process all that...

But does he have the physical gifts and fundamentals to at least approach the offensive dominance of players such as Kobe, TMAC or Carter in their primes? That's the real question - if he can add dominant scoring and fine tune his offensive game he can go down as one of the greats but that still remains largely to be seen.

100%duncan
11-21-2015, 11:08 PM

My problem is they made him either a spot up shooter or a player who they passed to with seconds left in the shotclock. Of course hes gonna shot an inefficient shot. As I said, i dont remember if they even called a single post up for him the whole game.

100%duncan
11-21-2015, 11:08 PM

How he shot last night? Wasnt able to watch sorry

Arcadian
11-21-2015, 11:09 PM
Yet we still won by 10. That's a beautiful ugly.

SpursFan86
11-21-2015, 11:09 PM
Kawhi has career highs in both 3P% and FT%...I think his shot is fine :lol He just had an off night.

Calispursfan11
11-21-2015, 11:10 PM
Kawhi has career highs in both 3P% and FT%...I think his shot is fine :lol He just had an off night.

Nice sig. Whoever she is has nice teats.

100%duncan
Yet we still won by 10. That's a beautiful ugly.

Yeah because we faced the fucking grizzlies.

ElNono
But does he have the physical gifts and fundamentals to at least approach the offensive dominance of players such as Kobe, TMAC or Carter in their primes? That's the real question - if he can add dominant scoring and fine tune his offensive game he can go down as one of the greats but that still remains largely to be seen.

None of those guys except young Kobe played defense the way he does... that said, this is the first season where he's been put out there as an integral option on offense. So let's wait a season or two before declaring success/demise, IMO.

loveforthegame
11-21-2015, 11:11 PM
How he shot last night? Wasnt able to watch sorry

He was 9-20 which isn't too bad. He chucked a bit last night though. I think he just missed tonight the shots he's been making all season long.

100%duncan

And Fg% too im aware of that but his jumper looked bad tonght and others say as well ad the other night.

100%duncan
He was 9-20 which isn't too bad. He chucked a bit last night though. I think he just missed tonight the shots he's been making all season long.

Well yeah 9-20 isnt so bad after all.

Sean Cagney
11-21-2015, 11:16 PM
Thoughts:

-Parker gave some positive light on the 1st half, was off to a great start but regressed back in the 2nd half with a few dribble dribble signature moves

-Kawhi's shot is broken, still got 19 but it was an ugly 19. I wonder what his offense was like against NOP? I havent watched that game

-Manu again bailing us out but the 4th qtr he looked gassed. Coming from a rest day this seems concerning.

Shoot man missed FT's mean he is fitting in even better with this squad :lol

sasaint
11-21-2015, 11:18 PM
Theyre making a kawhi a spot up shooter. His main strength if youve been following him is not the 3 :lol theyve completely went away from him I cant remember if he even had one post up play for the game, which is clearly his main strength aside from his steal dunk special.

Not sure you have been following him. His 3-pt percentage leads the team - over 40%. It is possible Pop has him looking for the 3-ball more because Danny is not revising that threat at the moment.

spurraider21
11-21-2015, 11:18 PM
once we got over the matt barnes hump we'll be golden

100%duncan
11-21-2015, 11:21 PM
Not sure you have been following him. His 3-pt percentage leads the team - over 40%. It is possible Pop has him looking for the 3-ball more because Danny is not revising that threat at the moment.

And? Shooting a good percentage on 3 doesnt mean thats his best game. Look at Parker last season, had a great 3pt%, still didnt translate into anything.

Relegating your best player to being a spot up shooter is not a winning formula.

DMC
11-21-2015, 11:21 PM
Manu is the most underpaid player in the game. It's not even a contest.

DMC
11-21-2015, 11:23 PM
Thoughts:

-Green has added attacking to his arsenal but Im not sure if this is better in the long run. We need his 3s more than ever.

All in all, we should have won by more considering grizz only had 1 3 pt fg. Very concerning to play this kind of pace against gsw. Theyll destroy us.

Spurs could play Miami Heat game 5 level against the GSW right now and still have their hands full.

100%duncan
11-21-2015, 11:25 PM
Spurs could play Miami Heat game 5 level against the GSW right now and still have their hands full.

How about game 3? :lol

Yeah, a lot of things must happen.

DMC
11-21-2015, 11:27 PM
How about game 3? :lol

Yeah, a lot of things must happen.

Maybe

TrainOfThought5
11-21-2015, 11:35 PM

This is the key issue so many STers dont want to talk about. Getting back to the finals will be harder than ever assuming we're performing at our MAX potential, AND firing on all cylinders. I think its the underlying cause of ST anxiety.

sasaint
11-21-2015, 11:37 PM
And? Shooting a good percentage on 3 doesnt mean thats his best game. Look at Parker last season, had a great 3pt%, still didnt translate into anything.

Relegating your best player to being a spot up shooter is not a winning formula.

The winning formula is to have all your players doing whatever is necessary. Right now with Danny heaving bricks from 3, we would have zero spacing if Kawhi weren't hitting 3s at a 40% clip. But that is certainly not all that Kawhi is being asked to do at the moment. His game is very diverse. Even so, once Danny regains his stroke and his confidence, Kawhi will probably take fewer 3s. Working LMA into the system has resulted in a lot of individual adjustments. Figuring out exactly how to use Kawhi, whose game is constantly evolving anyway, is just part of those adjustments.

100%duncan
11-21-2015, 11:37 PM
This is the key issue so many STers dont want to talk about. Getting back to the finals will be harder than ever assuming we're performing at our MAX potential, AND firing on all cylinders. I think its the underlying cause of ST anxiety.

Thankfully what we feel doesnt affect the team in anyway :lol

DMC
11-21-2015, 11:41 PM

Any team needs the chips to fall right for them. The Spurs had an easier row to hoe when Ibaka went down. They faced Memphis the previous year when Russell went down and KD was trying to do it alone. Last year GS had no tough teams but they earned that right by having the best RS record. We need to have a few things go our way. One would be that Steph injures his ankle. I don't wish for it, but I wouldn't cry about it. If that happens the team will suffer greatly because he draws so much attention right now the GSW would have to rely on Klay to step up and he's a streaky shooter. Still, they'd make the playoffs without him. We need Houston to continue to implode. We need Durant to take a season off. We need CP3 to have his annual "I'm playing injured" excuse early on. We have to be healthy, especially Manu. If Tony is 50% and not relied on, we might be better off tbh. We need all of these things, or at least the ones we will be facing in the playoffs. If that happens, I like our chances against the East. The West is so fast right now it's disturbing.

midnightpulp
11-21-2015, 11:47 PM
Leonard is a Kobe/Jordan type of offensive player who excels from the post and getting to his midrange shooting spots (he's arguably a better 3 point shooter than either, though). Unlike prime Kobe and Jordan, he's not an elite penetrator, so he's going to have a lot of nights where his offense sputters and he shoots 8-20, 7-17, etc. It's been my only concern with him, and it's not too much of concern, since he can offset below average raw shooting efficiency with his 3 point shot and getting to the line. Not to mention getting easy points on the offensive glass and breakaway dunks from steals and such.

Furthermore, given the Spurs' offensive structure, he'll rarely, if ever, have high volume/low efficiency games (10-30, 8-28, etc).

Spurs 4 The Win
11-21-2015, 11:47 PM
Any team needs the chips to fall right for them. The Spurs had an easier row to hoe when Ibaka went down. They faced Memphis the previous year when Russell went down and KD was trying to do it alone. Last year GS had no tough teams but they earned that right by having the best RS record. We need to have a few things go our way. One would be that Steph injures his ankle. I don't wish for it, but I wouldn't cry about it. If that happens the team will suffer greatly because he draws so much attention right now the GSW would have to rely on Klay to step up and he's a streaky shooter. Still, they'd make the playoffs without him. We need Houston to continue to implode. We need Durant to take a season off. We need CP3 to have his annual "I'm playing injured" excuse early on. We have to be healthy, especially Manu. If Tony is 50% and not relied on, we might be better off tbh. We need all of these things, or at least the ones we will be facing in the playoffs. If that happens, I like our chances against the East. The West is so fast right now it's disturbing.

So we need everyone to implode around us? You sound like a fucking pussy. How about we just outplay the other teams and win anyways... lol

sasaint
11-21-2015, 11:48 PM

:lol. Don't think it is "underlying" for most of us. It is certainly foremost in my mind, especially after watching a couple of Warriors' games. Plenty of comments on ST focuse on the importance of earning the highest possible seed for this very reason. Lots of concern over our early season reliance on Manu, possibly emptying his tank before the playoffs for the same reason. Yeah, we need to gel quickly, get some bench players more PT, and get Danny out of his slump. What me worry? :lol

HI-FI
11-21-2015, 11:48 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/stlogo46.png

TrainOfThought5
11-21-2015, 11:52 PM

TL:DR

I skimmed and saw KD and okc and memphis and GSW and CP3 so im assumkn its about every team needing the right path. True.

But i believe this year will be harder and tougher than ever. And that we'll have to surpass our best from 2014. Just my opinion.

DMC
11-21-2015, 11:52 PM
So we need everyone to implode around us? You sound like a fucking pussy. How about we just outplay the other teams and win anyways... lol

To win a championship, we need luck. When have we won with every team around us healthy? I'm a realist, you're a fucking clown who'll be nose down toward the rocks come May.

DMC
11-21-2015, 11:54 PM
TL:DR

I skimmed and saw KD and okc and memphis and GSW and CP3 so im assumkn its about every team needing the right path. True.

But i believe this year will be harder and tougher than ever. And that we'll have to surpass our best from 2014. Just my opinion.
It's 4 lines faggot. If you're not going to read, why respond?

100%duncan
11-22-2015, 12:02 AM
To win a championship, we need luck. When have we won with every team around us healthy? I'm a realist, you're a fucking clown who'll be nose down toward the rocks come May.

2005 and 2007 or am I missing someone?

TrainOfThought5
11-22-2015, 12:02 AM

Also this. Cowardice is useless, and the best championships are earned through the roughest hells. Which is why 05 and 14 was the best championship year ever. This could potentially be the best run of SpursTime.

DeRozan m8
11-22-2015, 12:30 AM

This

YGWHI
11-22-2015, 12:39 AM
Hopefully this game boots Kyle's confidence, he can certainly play ball, just needs to be more assertive.

SAGirl
11-22-2015, 12:50 AM
Kyle has shown promise early. As strict as Pop is with young players, and as tight as many of our games have been with everyone in the SL lacking chemistry, Pop just hasn't been able to play Kyle enough. Like everyone else (the vets helloooo), he needs to catch a rhythm of his own and chemistry with guys.

The most promising thing about him is that he can make his game work with any lineup and can sub credibly from 2-4. He can switch and guard perimeter players credibly, be they fast or post up threats. He can pass. His shot needs work from 3, but he can make the corner 3 and has a midrange game. What is not to like about this young project? That he's not a finished product??? Bah.

He needs playing time to get better, and so far, making good use of his opportunities. Lots more potential than Rasual, and already has served us well in two understaffed games: the 76ers game and this one game. The Pelicans game, Pop went away from Kyle when I thought he could have helped against Ryan Anderson.

Pop is going to have to keep giving chances to this young guy to find out what he can really do.

DMC
11-22-2015, 12:51 AM
2005 and 2007 or am I missing someone?
In 2007 the Horry hipcheck put Amare and Diaw out a game. The rest was a cakewalk. In 2005, Shaq was now in Miami, and Detroit beat them in the ECF. That kept LA out of the picture. Had Shaq still been in LA, things might have been different. Had Detroit not beaten Miami, things might have been different. We had the good fortune to be in the right place at the right time. Opportunity meet preparedness.

DMC
11-22-2015, 12:54 AM
Also this. Cowardice is useless, and the best championships are earned through the roughest hells. Which is why 05 and 14 was the best championship year ever. This could potentially be the best run of SpursTime.
Oh good lord. Who did the Spurs go through in 2014? Dallas almost beat them in the 1st round. After that it was a Portland team that felt like it won already with that Lollard 3 at the buzzer over Houston, while Ibaka was busy hurting himself and Brooks busy pretending he was out for the rest of the playoffs. The Finals were impressive, but even then Lebron James had to be carried off the court due to severe cramps when the fucking AC went out.

So yeah, warriors... and luck, mostly luck.

100%duncan
11-22-2015, 12:55 AM
In 2007 the Horry hipcheck put Amare and Diaw out a game. The rest was a cakewalk. In 2005, Shaq was now in Miami, and Detroit beat them in the ECF. That kept LA out of the picture. Had Shaq still been in LA, things might have been different. Had Detroit not beaten Miami, things might have been different. We had the good fortune to be in the right place at the right time. Opportunity meet preparedness.

You talking about injuries and there was none.

DMC
11-22-2015, 12:57 AM
You talking about injuries and there was none.

If the guy doesn't play, the effect is the same. lol

100%duncan
11-22-2015, 01:42 AM
If the guy doesn't play, the effect is the same. lol

Ok count out 2007 as you wish. 2005 still clean. If shaqwade cant get past pistons then a destroyed shaqobe relationship following a humuliating finals loss the year before is much worse.

midnightpulp
11-22-2015, 02:00 AM

'04 was the last gasp for the Lakers, and the Spurs should still kick themselves for letting that shitty team off the hook. We choked. Phil packed the paint in a desperation move to stop Parker/Manu penetration and collapse on Duncan, but our shooters couldn't hit the proverbial broadside.

That said, pretty much every title run is aided by luck. Even the dominant '01 Lakers, who were lucky the rest of the league was utter shit during that year. We were a 60 win team rolling out the corpses of Terry Porter, Danny Ferry, and Sean Elliott as our wings :lol Imagine how that team would get slaughtered today.

SnakeBoy
11-22-2015, 03:00 AM
I don't know why some of you want to just roll with Butler. I get he's a vet at the end of his career so he has experience but on the other hand, he's really not that good and he's as good as he's ever going to be.

DMC
11-22-2015, 03:01 AM
KOBE'S FAULT,BECAUSE HIS EGO
Shut your fucking whore mouth

Fireball
11-22-2015, 04:20 AM
another bad one ... empty seats galore ... some booing by the crowd will happen this season sooner rather than later

TrainOfThought5
11-22-2015, 06:09 AM
Kyle has shown promise early. As strict as Pop is with young players, and as tight as many of our games have been with everyone in the SL lacking chemistry, Pop just hasn't been able to play Kyle enough. Like everyone else (the vets helloooo), he needs to catch a rhythm of his own and chemistry with guys.

The most promising thing about him is that he can make his game work with any lineup and can sub credibly from 2-4. He can switch and guard perimeter players credibly, be they fast or post up threats. He can pass. His shot needs work from 3, but he can make the corner 3 and has a midrange game. What is not to like about this young project? That he's not a finished product??? Bah.

He needs playing time to get better, and so far, making good use of his opportunities. Lots more potential than Rasual, and already has served us well in two understaffed games: the 76ers game and this one game. The Pelicans game, Pop went away from Kyle when I thought he could have helped against Ryan Anderson.

Pop is going to have to keep giving chances to this young guy to find out what he can really do.

This. All of this.

Biernutz
11-22-2015, 06:26 AM
The game was a bit ugly but how would this game end if Zoe would have played?

tbdog
11-22-2015, 06:36 AM
'04 was the last gasp for the Lakers, and the Spurs should still kick themselves for letting that shitty team off the hook. We choked. Phil packed the paint in a desperation move to stop Parker/Manu penetration and collapse on Duncan, but our shooters couldn't hit the proverbial broadside.

That said, pretty much every title run is aided by luck. Even the dominant '01 Lakers, who were lucky the rest of the league was utter shit during that year. We were a 60 win team rolling out the corpses of Terry Porter, Danny Ferry, and Sean Elliott as our wings :lol Imagine how that team would get slaughtered today.

Manu was injured, an phil used Radman to guard him. That is how injured he was.

100%duncan
11-22-2015, 06:38 AM
I don't know why some of you want to just roll with Butler. I get he's a vet at the end of his career so he has experience but on the other hand, he's really not that good and he's as good as he's ever going to be.

Because this team is in win-now mode.

midnightpulp
11-22-2015, 06:53 AM
Manu was injured, an phil used Radman to guard him. That is how injured he was.

That was the '08 series against the Lakers. In '04, we had them down 0-2, and looked ready to sweep, and then it all fell apart.

Brazil
11-22-2015, 07:20 AM
:lol Matt Barnes effect... This scrub just likes to play well against Kawhi

100%duncan
11-22-2015, 09:47 AM
:lol Matt Barnes effect... This scrub just likes to play well against Kawhi

Did he even play well?

JeffDuncan
11-22-2015, 01:03 PM
Did he even play well?

Hey, Barnes got 10 pts, which on the Grizzlies makes him their new scoring sensation.

He had a steal, a block, 3 assists, 3 rebounds. Just mediocre.

Johnny RIngo
11-22-2015, 01:10 PM

Parker's chokejob in that series is one for the ages. Shot worse than any other Spurs yet averaged more field goal attempts than either prime Duncan or Manu.

Efficiency vs 2004 Lakers:

.594 TS% - Manu
.534 TS% - Duncan
.421 TS% - Enrique

Shot attempts vs 2004 Lakers:

19 FGA/g - Enrique
15 FGA/g - Duncan
10 FGA/g - Manu

DMC
11-22-2015, 02:21 PM

No it's not. People think the Spurs have to win it all this year, but this isn't the Heatles. They still have to build a team and Tim/Manu and maybe Tony won't be around much longer (circa 2009). The Spurs don't have a habit of throwing caution to the wind and going all in for a "right now" approach when their business has a long term need. Sure it's a competition, but this isn't a 40 yard dash for PATFO, it's a marathon. They have to do what they've done to get the results they've gotten. The LMA was a good acquisition, as was West, but I don't think the Spurs front office thinks they are in a "win now" mode when they have Pop and Manu speaking openly about "we aren't concerned with our record right now, we are trying to get better" -Manu and "He's the future of this franchise" -Pop.

DMC
11-22-2015, 02:31 PM
TELL ME WHY SHAQ LEFT THE LAKERS ???????:wakeup

O<----your whore mouth

~<----what you need to do with it

Obstructed_View
11-22-2015, 02:47 PM

Danny and cojo wouldnt get overtaken by a 36 year old in the rotation :lol

I'm trying to find a way to respond to this without insulting you, but it's really difficult. If you can't even evaluate impartially because you already declared a player useless and can't admit to the possibility that you might have been premature, it's going to be really hard for people to take your opinions seriously.

SnakeBoy
11-22-2015, 02:51 PM

No the team is in win in April mode which is why Pop continues to develop KA. It's only certain posters who care about November basketball. Butler in April will be the same as Butler in November. KA...time will tell.

spurraider21
11-22-2015, 04:10 PM
Leonard is a Kobe/Jordan type of offensive player who excels from the post and getting to his midrange shooting spots (he's arguably a better 3 point shooter than either, though). Unlike prime Kobe and Jordan, he's not an elite penetrator, so he's going to have a lot of nights where his offense sputters and he shoots 8-20, 7-17, etc. It's been my only concern with him, and it's not too much of concern, since he can offset below average raw shooting efficiency with his 3 point shot and getting to the line. Not to mention getting easy points on the offensive glass and breakaway dunks from steals and such.

Furthermore, given the Spurs' offensive structure, he'll rarely, if ever, have high volume/low efficiency games (10-30, 8-28, etc).
:lol