PDA

View Full Version : HUGE NEWS: NKorea Agrees to Give up Nuke Program

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-19-2005, 12:42 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,169731,00.html

TThe North "promised to drop all nuclear weapons and current nuclear programs and to get back to the (Nuclear) Nonproliferation Treaty as soon as possible and to accept inspections" by the International Atomic Energy Agency, according to the agreement by the six countries at the talks.

"All six parties emphasized that to realize the inspectable denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula is the target of the six-party talks," the statement said.

The North and United States also pledged in the agreement to respect each other's sovereignty and right to peaceful coexistence, and also to take steps to normalize relations.

Yo, Kerry, NbaDunce, et. al, guess those six party talks weren't such a bad idea after all, huh?

:spin

Damn, Bush's administration just brokered peace on the Korean Peninsula. :drunk

mouse
09-19-2005, 12:53 AM
And Ricky Williams said he will stop smoking weed,

Vashner
09-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Yea have they not agreed to this about 100 times b4?

I'm So Ronery
I'm so ronery
So ronery
So ronery and sadry arone

There's no one
Just me onry
Sitting on my rittle throne
I work very hard and make up great prans
But nobody ristens, no one understands
Seems that no one takes me serirousry

And so I'm ronery
A little ronery
Poor rittre me

There's nobody
I can rerate to
Feer rike a bird in a cage
It's kinda sihry
But not rearry
Because it's fihring my body with rage

I work rearry hard to stay nice and fit
But none of the women seem to give a shit
When I rure the world maybe they'rr notice me
But untir then I'rr just be ronery
Rittre ronery, poor rittre me
I'm so ronery
I'm so ronery

Suns Fan
09-19-2005, 01:18 AM
:lmao

Nbadan
09-19-2005, 02:13 AM
Yea have they not agreed to this about 100 times b4?

Shhh! Don't ruin A.H.'s buzz with needless details.

whottt
09-19-2005, 02:31 AM
What would make you happy Dan? Other than Usama being elected President I mean...

I mean what do you want with North Korea? Outside of a war this is as good as it gets...aren't you one of these pro-negotiation people?

What is it that you want the Government to do here?

Nbadan
09-19-2005, 03:04 AM
I would have preferred that PoppyBush kept Carter's original promise with the North Koreans to provide them with light-water reactors in exchange for their participation the in the Nuclear non-proliferation club and inspections by I.A.E.A officials.

It would seem, based on Bush's actions immediately after inauguration--within weeks, Bush ignored the agreement and cut off oil to North Korea (remember the North Korean delegation visiting Richardson in New Mexico, because he'd been Clinton's negotiator with the N. Koreans?), started with some very belligerent talk and pushed them at every opportunity, trying to get them to do something foolish, then sending Bolton in, of all people, to browbeat and threaten them, and then there was the "axis of evil" stuff.

None of that worked. What did finally work is the U.S., Japan, and S. Korea finally giving North Korea the farm, the horses, the cows, and the milk, so the WH can now turn the world's attention to Iran.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-19-2005, 08:03 AM
We know Dan. It's doomed to fail under Bush, but if Kerry would have been elected and negotiated this, you'd already be writing anyone and everyone about the Nobel Peace Prize.

IcemanCometh
09-19-2005, 08:37 AM
So does this mean they're not part of the Axis of Evil anymore?

Hook Dem
09-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Some self proclaimed idiots are never satisfied. Rave on Dan!

ChumpDumper
09-19-2005, 10:45 AM
It'll be interesting to see what NK wants in return for this when talks resume in November -- and if anything is to happen with their existing nukes.

ChumpDumper
09-19-2005, 11:36 AM
Looking at the text of the joint declaration, they are to give up their existing nukes too, though it might be possible to hide one of more, I suppose.

An interesting clause
The six parties undertook to promote economic cooperation in the fields of energy, trade and investment, bilaterally and/or multilaterally."Bilateral" is the key here. It's a departure from the US desire to have everything done within the six-party format. A good idea, as the US won't have to worry about its John Hancock being on an agreement it may feel concedes too much to the North Koreans.

Vashner
09-19-2005, 11:38 AM
This announcement means shit..
North Korea has a reputation of NOT delivering on anything...

Until there is action on the ground there it's all just stalling tactics...

ChumpDumper
09-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Agreed, but we didn't do a great job of following through last time either.

Vashner
09-19-2005, 11:58 AM
We? You mean we didn't nuke them right?...

Because when you say WE your talking about China and other nuke powers...

Not just Bush.

ChumpDumper
09-19-2005, 12:04 PM
No, I'm talking about the fuel-oil shipments and light water reactor we were to build according to the agreed framework. Both the Clinton and Bush administrations missed shipment dates and deadlines. I'm not saying it was a great idea in the first place, but it could have had some effect on whether NK would think any negotiation was worth entering anyway.

It's not going to be easy, to be sure.

Vashner
09-19-2005, 12:13 PM
The shipment dates didn't have dependencies on them? I.E. actions from NK?

spurster
09-19-2005, 12:26 PM
This is good news, and I have to congratulate BushCo on it.

But the big question is whether NK is serious. As I understand it, NK isn't stopping now, just promising to stop if they get want they want. Also, the negotations don't start again until November.

In any case, at least there's some hope for a solution.

ChumpDumper
09-20-2005, 02:37 AM
The inevitable other shoe drops....

North Korea Demands Nuke Reactor From U.S.

SEOUL, South Korea -North Korea said Tuesday it would not dismantle its nuclear weapons program until the United States first provides an atomic energy reactor, casting doubt on its commitment to a breakthrough agreement reached at international arms talks.

The North insisted during arms talks that began last week in Beijing that it be given a light-water reactor, a type less easily diverted for weapons use, in exchange for abandoning nuclear weapons....

"We will return to the NPT and sign the safeguards agreement with the IAEA and comply with it immediately upon the U.S. provision of LWRs, a basis of confidence-building to us," the North's Foreign Ministry said in the statement, carried by the North's official Korean Central News Agency.

"The U.S. should not even dream of the issue of (North Korea's) dismantlement of its nuclear deterrent before providing LWRs," the North said....

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050920/ap_on_re_as/nkorea_reactor