PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Doc Rivers' Future in LA

DMC
11-22-2015, 07:12 PM
Could be drawing to a close. He's had an out with the Sterling ordeal, but not now. He's got a lot of expectations but a lot of talent to fill the roles. Steve Ballmer isn't a "wait and see" guy. Doc might continue as GM or whatever he is, but he probably won't be a coach much longer at this rate (everyone healthy and losing games like this).

This is the prime opportunity for the Clippers to assert themselves in the West. In a few years the Lakers will be good again and no one will want to play for the other LA team once Cancer is retired. Steve sees the GSW and how with one stroke of the pen they went from "we left it all out there on the court" to "we are the champions" by hiring a guy who believed in defense and playing ball the right way.

Thibs, welcome to LA.

KaiRMD1
11-22-2015, 07:25 PM
Would be nuts if they fire Doc if he doesn't produce results. I know once old sport is fired, little Rivers is gonna be scared shitless as to what his future will hold

Clipper Nation
11-22-2015, 07:37 PM
Time to pull a Spurs. Fire Doc, tank for Simmons, come back stronger next year.

BTW, watching those faggots Doc, Choke Paul, DeContract and Jamal get booed off the court was priceless.

Mr. Body
11-22-2015, 08:07 PM
It's hard to remove a guy who is also the GM and his son plays for him.

DMC
11-22-2015, 08:08 PM
Autism Rivers isn't doing that bad, he's not the issue. Jamal Crawford and Paul Pierce are team cancers. Crawford never saw a look he didn't like, and Paul Pierce is just too washed up to give a shit. Doc gave him a friendship contract.

If I'm Steve I tell Stymie Rivers to corral Crawford, make him a passer and restrict his shot selection or bench his ass. I can take the loss if I know why. Letting that Kenyan run wild out there with the other YMCA level guy isn't my idea of winning. Also, Blake is ok, because he's relied upon to be ok so his numbers will always be ok. He's not "the guy" though. That team doesn't have one other than Chris Paul who has a career built on choking.

If Steve is more hands off than that, then just give the ultimatum: It's ok to lose if you know why. Doing bad and don't know why? Not going to accept it. Last year wasn't "good" just because you got out of the 1st round. Raise the bar or hit the road.

InRareForm
11-22-2015, 08:09 PM

its hard to be successful/efficient when you are the GM and the son also plays on team.

DMC
11-22-2015, 08:11 PM
No it's quite easy. Austin Rivers isn't going to get stupid because Doc gets fired. He'd still want to maintain his league status and play ball. If he didn't, big fucking deal. Doc might remain GM though, just bring in a real coach.

Clipper Nation
11-22-2015, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't call Pierce a "cancer." He's just old and done and should have retired after last season.

Jamal on the other hand? Definitely a cancer, at least on the court.

spursistan
11-22-2015, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't call Pierce a "cancer." He's just old and done and should have retired after last season.

How was he given 3-year deal is beyond me..you just don't give +38 y-o guys that kind of contract length..you can't expect nothing but a random clutch shot in the playoff out of him, and that's it..He should not start and has to be eased into regular season ,ie a Robert horry role..

DMC
11-22-2015, 10:36 PM

He's a contract cancer.

~O~
11-22-2015, 10:58 PM
How was he given 3-year deal is beyond me..you just don't give +38 y-o guys that kind of contract length..you can't expect nothing but a random clutch shot in the playoff out of him, and that's it..He should not start and has to be eased into regular season ,ie a Robert horry role..

3 years?! What the fuck?

spursistan
11-22-2015, 11:19 PM
3 years?! What the fuck?
yep.. through 2018..

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-clippers/paul-pierce/

dbreiden83080
11-23-2015, 06:37 AM
6-7 after all that drama about resigning Jordan..

Killakobe81
11-23-2015, 09:02 AM
6-7 after all that drama about resigning Jordan..

Cubes is gonna be talking mad shit despite the begging he did last year ...

MaNu4Tres
11-23-2015, 10:26 AM
On twitter, I had many debates on how overrated their off-season was.

Many journalism majors who cover the NBA or "NBA experts" insisted Clippers had fixed their problems by adding Josh Smith, Stephenson, and Pierce.

As ugly as some of the warts are on Matt Barnes, he was their best perimeter defender last year -- who played a huge role in beating SA. So they replace him with old ass Pierce who can't move defensively and add redundancy w/ Stephenson -- who not only can't play defense, but on offense, he's an even worse of an inefficient chucker than Crawford. Then they add Josh Smith -- who not only can't play defense, but he's as inefficient as they come and there's a reason why he's been on 3 teams the past year.

Killakobe81
11-23-2015, 10:35 AM

Many journalism majors who cover the NBA or "NBA experts" insisted Clippers had fixed their problems by adding Josh Smith, Stephenson, and Pierce.

As ugly as some of the warts are on Matt Barnes, he was their best perimeter defender last year -- who played a huge role in beating SA. So they replace him with old ass Pierce who can't move defensively and add redundancy w/ Stephenson -- who not only can't play defense, but on offense, he's an even worse of an inefficient chucker than Crawford. Then they add Josh Smith -- who not only can't play defense, but he's as inefficient as they come and there's a reason why he's been on 3 teams the past year.

Josh Smith should have stayed in Houston. Becauise of their style of play he's chucking wasnt as disruptive as it is for LAC. his only strength is to play-make as a PF. he actually impacted Rox positively in that role. with Clips Paul dominates the ball and when he doesnt it's Crawford or Blake. Without the ball smith is useless exept at the rim but that is Deandre's role. Horrible decision by Smith and his agent.

dbreiden83080
11-23-2015, 12:12 PM
It was pretty funny to me when they signed Paul Pierce and people in the media celebrated. He is like 10 years past his prime and I never got the sense he was a great guy to have in your locker room.

TD 21
11-23-2015, 07:32 PM

It's about context. In a vacuum, I didn't love their moves, but considering the were damn near hard capped and had virtually no trade assets, they did about as well as could be expected. Their moves were always going to be boom or bust, but 13 games is too soon to draw conclusions.

The way I see it, they elevated their ceiling, without lowering their floor, so even if it is unlikely that it all comes together and results in at least a Conference Finals berth (unless injuries strike the Warriors, Spurs or Thunder, of course), it was worth it.

DMC
11-23-2015, 07:52 PM
It's about context. In a vacuum, I didn't love their moves, but considering the were damn near hard capped and had virtually no trade assets, they did about as well as could be expected. Their moves were always going to be boom or bust, but 13 games is too soon to draw conclusions.

The way I see it, they elevated their ceiling, without lowering their floor, so even if it is unlikely that it all comes together and results in at least a Conference Finals berth (unless injuries strike the Warriors, Spurs or Thunder, of course), it was worth it.
13 games is too soon to draw a conclusion, if that was the bulk of your data. For Doc, he's got a couple years of head scratchingly stupid lead losses in big games and can't get over the hump even with the high price Steve is paying for talent. Fuck or walk, Doc. That has to be the message going forward. Hell, you or I could get that team to that record. We could use the same old canned messages Doc uses:

1. It wasn't for lack of effort, the other team just brought it (buzzsaw excuse)
2. I saw some good things and some things I didn't like, we have things to discuss during film session.
3. Sometimes shots don't fall.
4. They just got hot at the right time and we couldn't match their intensity

How about "I can't fucking coach a kindergarten soccer team" or "Can you believe I actually signed my own fucking son to a playoff caliber team I coach in the fucking NBA? Am I powerful or what?"

TD 21
11-23-2015, 08:05 PM
13 games is too soon to draw a conclusion, if that was the bulk of your data. For Doc, he's got a couple years of head scratchingly stupid lead losses in big games and can't get over the hump even with the high price Steve is paying for talent. Fuck or walk, Doc. That has to be the message going forward. Hell, you or I could get that team to that record. We could use the same old canned messages Doc uses:

1. It wasn't for lack of effort, the other team just brought it (buzzsaw excuse)
2. I saw some good things and some things I didn't like, we have things to discuss during film session.
3. Sometimes shots don't fall.
4. They just got hot at the right time and we couldn't match their intensity

How about "I can't fucking coach a kindergarten soccer team" or "Can you believe I actually signed my own fucking son to a playoff caliber team I coach in the fucking NBA? Am I powerful or what?"

I was obviously referring to the moves they made.

I don't care who the coach is: 13 games, when you make that many moves, they're not hand in glove fits and you have the combination of personalities they do, is not enough to draw conclusions.

Don't get me wrong though. If everyone is fully healthy, they're probably eliminated in the 2nd round, but not because of these 13 games.

DMC
11-23-2015, 09:57 PM
I was obviously referring to the moves they made.

They didn't exactly change the face of the franchise. They got a couple bench guys.

I don't care who the coach is: 13 games, when you make that many moves, they're not hand in glove fits and you have the combination of personalities they do, is not enough to draw conclusions.

Bullshit. Ask Pop. He's got a shit ton of new faces and guess what? Exactly.

Don't get me wrong though. If everyone is fully healthy, they're probably eliminated in the 2nd round, but not because of these 13 games.

In business, you have a bad year you can show why, you show how you plan to turn it around. In year two if you have the same reasons for having another bad year, you're probably fired. If you have different reasons and you fixed the ones in the previous year, you might get a stay of execution, but someone is getting fired.

Steve is a business man. If he thinks just making the playoffs is enough, Doc will be fine. Otherwise, Doc is nervous right now.

LkrFan
11-23-2015, 11:13 PM
Cubes is gonna be talking mad shit despite the begging he did last year ...
Your sig is dope! :lmao

TD 21
11-24-2015, 06:14 PM
They didn't exactly change the face of the franchise. They got a couple bench guys.

Bullshit. Ask Pop. He's got a shit ton of new faces and guess what? Exactly.

In business, you have a bad year you can show why, you show how you plan to turn it around. In year two if you have the same reasons for having another bad year, you're probably fired. If you have different reasons and you fixed the ones in the previous year, you might get a stay of execution, but someone is getting fired.

Steve is a business man. If he thinks just making the playoffs is enough, Doc will be fine. Otherwise, Doc is nervous right now.

They changed nine players. Core players or not, that's a lot of turnover. Beyond that, like I said, a lot of the guys they brought in are high maintenance and were always going to be awkward fits.

The Spurs are better, their pieces fit together better and they've played the third easiest schedule to date.

The Clippers will be fine in the regular season. They'll win their usual 50+ and finish in the top 4. In the playoffs, it just depends on the circumstances surrounding their inevitable defeat, as to whether Rivers get's fired. I'd be surprised either way, but I wouldn't be shocked if we hear it's under consideration, pending the circumstances.

spursistan
11-24-2015, 06:52 PM
Only another meltdown in the playoffs will put his coaching seat in jeopardy, but no chance he is fired in regular season.. Clippers always go on a big run and they will finish with 54-56 wins and top 4 seed..his core is still young enough to play a lot minutes in reg season. and considering Houston/Memphis travails, Clippers will have to be get decimated by injuries to fall to 5th seed or lower..