PDA

View Full Version : As bad as the offense "looks," it is still ranked

midnightpulp
11-24-2015, 09:04 AM
7th overall in Offensive Rating, ranked number 2 in raw FG%, 6th in TS%, and the TO% is at the league average.

"So why does it "look" so bad?" It really doesn't. I think many here still expect too much after 2014's Finals perfection. The offense is still generating a lot of open looks from 3 (Danny just isn't hitting right now, aside from last night, and even then, the team is still shooting 37% from 3, which is 7th best in the league), Parker has much more spacing to operate with and looks the best he's had in 3 years, and Kawhi is getting any mid-range shot he wants. And if you think we're giving up a lot of 2nd chance points, the Spurs rank 5th in offensive boards allowed.

"Our defense is great, so why aren't we blowing teams out more consistently if the offense isn't a problem?"

The Spurs have the 2nd highest margin of victory in the league (the soft schedule has something to do with that, as well), but I agree that they let teams back in all too often and make it harder on themselves. The reason is: Freethrows. The Spurs rank dead last in in FTA (luckily their FT% is good and they've only been outscored at the line by 1 point this season. Interestingly, Golden State has been outscored by 33 points at the line this season and over 200 points last season, but you can throw out the book when you evaluate that team since their 3 point shooting is historically ridiculous). OKC, Lebron-era Miami, Cleveland, the Clippers (when they're good), all shot/shoot a lot more FTs than their opponents over a course of season.

Silver lining here is that the 2014 Spurs only shot 1 more FT than their opponent over the season, but that team shot .27 higher from 3. More silver lining is that once Kawhi starts getting star respect, he'll go to the line much more. Kobe has made a living getting touch fouls in the post and fouled on jumpers. Kawhi will be getting those whistles soon. LMA will get his calls (he's near career FTA average already), and if Parker stays healthy and spry and continues to penetrate, he'll get calls.

And once Danny emerges from his slump, this offense could be very deadly.

The offense is fine, it's just not refined yet.

SpursFan86
11-24-2015, 09:20 AM
To be fair, the offense is 13th when adjusted for strength of opponents' defense. Also, I think most of the complaints about the offense have to do with the starting lineup...the Parker/Green/Kawhi/LMA/Duncan lineup has an ORTG of 100.3, which would be nearly dead last in the league.

Regardless, I agree with the sentiment that we're in good shape at this point. Like you said, there are a lot of good looks being generated, Green and Aldridge have just had trouble hitting early on. It'd be foolish to expect the team to be hitting on all cylinders this early in the season. Despite the struggles, we've still managed to look like the clear 2nd best team in the league...hard to complain about that.

MultiTroll
11-24-2015, 09:20 AM
You really think Kwa will come anywhere near approaching Kobme levels of receiving calls?
50% of Kobmes career foul calls were and still are bogus.

Green i think it's like Duncan said. Other teams are playing him against the trey, forcing him to put ball on the floor. He needs to adjust and learn how to score or pass off the dribble.

Fireball
11-24-2015, 09:31 AM
yeah, the point really is the weak schedule (Spurs, Warriors, Mavs had the weakest schedules so far) and just watching Danny Green clanking so many three pointers

100%duncan
11-24-2015, 09:41 AM
Good points. Best things from this are:

1. When danny hits, we're golden
2. Parker is looking good

I think you also forgot to mention that Patty is "back", iirc he had a bad regular season last year.

HarlemHeat37
11-24-2015, 09:43 AM
Parker's offense probably isn't sustainable, realistically, but Green's 3-point shot has returned to form the past 5-6 games, should balance each other out, a little..

Still need Aldridge to be integrated, it's far more important than anything else..

NameLess Scrub
11-24-2015, 09:45 AM
Green i think it's like Duncan said. Other teams are playing him against the trey, forcing him to put ball on the floor. He needs to adjust and learn how to score or pass off the dribble.

I wonder why didn't this happen more after the '13 finals..

Hope he gets better spacing with the SL. He can make the occasional drive, but needing to consistently counter with dribble penetration won't be easy for him.

Last night he was great. That should help.

100%duncan
11-24-2015, 09:46 AM
Parker's offense probably isn't sustainable, realistically, but Green's 3-point shot has returned to form the past 5-6 games, should balance each other out, a little..

Still need Aldridge to be integrated, it's far more important than anything else..
I think it is. Unlike last year, when he looked good early. Most of it was because of his skewed best 3pt fg% in the league which literally translated to nothing. And besides he didn't have the luxury of Aldridge and West, both good midrange shooters that defenders need to respect. Basically, with how bad the 1st part of the RS last year, esp the lack of Patty Mills, Parker couldn't do much. Of course part of it is that he's declining but he's looking good.

Mel_13
11-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Danny has been getting better from beyond the arc .

1st 7 games: 22% on 32 attempts.

2nd 7 games: 39% on 38 attempts.

HarlemHeat37
11-24-2015, 09:52 AM
I think it is. Unlike last year, when he looked good early. Most of it was because of his skewed best 3pt fg% in the league which literally translated to nothing. And besides he didn't have the luxury of Aldridge and West, both good midrange shooters that defenders need to respect. Basically, with how bad the 1st part of the RS last year, esp the lack of Patty Mills, Parker couldn't do much. Of course part of it is that he's declining but he's looking good.

Parker looked better last November, even without the 3s, against a much more difficult schedule than what the Spurs have currently faced(3rd easiest schedule in the NBA, so far)..he was easily getting to the rim and making his jump shots..

Ginobili looked like a star last December, too, then fell off, although I suppose you could argue that the Spurs ran him into the ground with all the injuries..

I'm not getting my hopes up with hot starts, especially regarding ancient players..hopefully they are both able to have something left in the tank when the games matter, but you have to prepare yourself for the worst IMO..

midnightpulp
11-24-2015, 09:53 AM
To be fair, the offense is 13th when adjusted for strength of opponents' defense. Also, I think most of the complaints about the offense have to do with the starting lineup...the Parker/Green/Kawhi/LMA/Duncan lineup has an ORTG of 100.3, which would be nearly dead last in the league.

Regardless, I agree with the sentiment that we're in good shape at this point. Like you said, there are a lot of good looks being generated, Green and Aldridge have just had trouble hitting early on. It'd be foolish to expect the team to be hitting on all cylinders this early in the season. Despite the struggles, we've still managed to look like the clear 2nd best team in the league...hard to complain about that.

Indeed, but even then, two of Spur 5-man units are featured among the top 15 best 5 man units (in ORTG) in the league. Both units include Tony Parker and LMA, interestingly enough.

http://stats.nba.com/league/lineups/#!/advanced/?sort=OFF_RATING&dir=1

That Manu-for-Green unit could be deadly. The unit with Anderson-for-Kawhi has potential, as well. You keep an elite perimeter defender on the floor in Green (as Kawhi was kept on the floor in the former unit) while adding a passer in SloMo, like Manu was added to the former unit.

HarlemHeat37
11-24-2015, 09:56 AM
Aldridge's jump shot has been uncharacteristically bad, too..it should positively regress, eventually..

midnightpulp
11-24-2015, 10:06 AM

I think it's going well. The eyes may be deceiving us since the offense doesn't seem to "flow" when LMA is on the floor, but all of our best units with regard to ORTG/DRTG spread feature him in the lineup.

http://stats.nba.com/league/lineups/#!/advanced/?sort=TEAM_ABBREVIATION&dir=1

That small ball lineup with him at C, alongside Boris, Kawhi, Manu, and Mills could be scary.

r0drig0lac
11-24-2015, 10:33 AM

great news

UZER
11-24-2015, 11:45 AM
Tony really needs to take the midrange this year like he did last night. This years team isn't creating the same spacing and it's the consistent open shot for him. Hes not quick enough to beat defenses even when they collapse like he used to, and they're really playing the kick out too.

wildbill2u
11-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Looks like the team is having an adjustment period from the 'beautiful game' to a 'front line centric' mid-range game with lots more ISOs by LMA and Kwahi into the paint area for short jumpers. Who knows, Pop may have started a new fad that the league will try to copy if we win another championship with it.

FromWayDowntown
11-24-2015, 12:22 PM
For all of the stuff that hasn't looked so great so far, if the Spurs beat Dallas on Wednesday to go to 12-3, there will only have been 2 better 15 game starts in franchise history -- 2010-11 and 2013-14 (both 13-2).

Mr. Body
11-24-2015, 01:44 PM
Aldridge needs to hit his shots. Seems he's still thinking too much. Hopefully the break helps him take a breather and relax.

spursistan
11-24-2015, 01:54 PM
And also for all ISO-centric offense talk, we are 4th in league in % of assisted field goals made 63.4 :lol..trailing only Warriors (69.7), Hawks (67.7), Cavs (64.4)..

This team ceiling is scary if the offense catches up to D..

sasaint
11-24-2015, 03:02 PM

Good to see. Kinda meets the eyeball test, but he is still missing what seems like an unusual number of open looks. Thanks for posting.

sasaint
11-24-2015, 03:07 PM
I think it's going well. The eyes may be deceiving us since the offense doesn't seem to "flow" when LMA is on the floor, but all of our best units with regard to ORTG/DRTG spread feature him in the lineup.

http://stats.nba.com/league/lineups/#!/advanced/?sort=TEAM_ABBREVIATION&dir=1

That small ball lineup with him at C, alongside Boris, Kawhi, Manu, and Mills could be scary.

The ORTG kinda conflicts with the eye test, but the DRTG confirms what we've seen: LMA's D is a very pleasant surprise. Also, he is our best offensive rebounder in some time.

ceperez
11-24-2015, 05:39 PM
7th overall in Offensive Rating, ranked number 2 in raw FG%, 6th in TS%, and the TO% is at the league average.

"So why does it "look" so bad?" It really doesn't. I think many here still expect too much after 2014's Finals perfection. The offense is still generating a lot of open looks from 3 (Danny just isn't hitting right now, aside from last night, and even then, the team is still shooting 37% from 3, which is 7th best in the league), Parker has much more spacing to operate with and looks the best he's had in 3 years, and Kawhi is getting any mid-range shot he wants. And if you think we're giving up a lot of 2nd chance points, the Spurs rank 5th in offensive boards allowed.

"Our defense is great, so why aren't we blowing teams out more consistently if the offense isn't a problem?"

The Spurs have the 2nd highest margin of victory in the league (the soft schedule has something to do with that, as well), but I agree that they let teams back in all too often and make it harder on themselves. The reason is: Freethrows. The Spurs rank dead last in in FTA (luckily their FT% is good and they've only been outscored at the line by 1 point this season. Interestingly, Golden State has been outscored by 33 points at the line this season and over 200 points last season, but you can throw out the book when you evaluate that team since their 3 point shooting is historically ridiculous). OKC, Lebron-era Miami, Cleveland, the Clippers (when they're good), all shot/shoot a lot more FTs than their opponents over a course of season.

Silver lining here is that the 2014 Spurs only shot 1 more FT than their opponent over the season, but that team shot .27 higher from 3. More silver lining is that once Kawhi starts getting star respect, he'll go to the line much more. Kobe has made a living getting touch fouls in the post and fouled on jumpers. Kawhi will be getting those whistles soon. LMA will get his calls (he's near career FTA average already), and if Parker stays healthy and spry and continues to penetrate, he'll get calls.

And once Danny emerges from his slump, this offense could be very deadly.

The offense is fine, it's just not refined yet.

I guess you only get free throw if you aren't taking open shots. Too many open shot opportunities.

TD 21
11-24-2015, 06:29 PM
The offense is still efficient, but it's not explosive and it's doubtful as to whether that's going to change, since it's now been a season plus of this and seven of the top eight have been intact throughout.

The three-point percentage is fine right now, but they're 22nd/23rd in makes and attempts. Combined that with being dead last in free throw rate and playing at a slow pace and you've got a limited offense.

It's abundantly clear that they're going to have to upgrade fourth wing at some point. They essentially need a Neal/Belinelli type (I brought up Ellington a few weeks ago; he's having a terrible season, but I still like the fit). Someone who can hit threes in bunches and do so off the dribble/screens.

Since this team is struggling mightily to blow teams out and can't afford to waste many meaningful minutes on Anderson/Butler, they're having to resort to playing Leonard high 30's every game and a Parker/Mills back court for stretches, which can only work in certain match-ups.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-24-2015, 07:10 PM
I think it looks bad because the Spurs are struggling against crap teams and allowing the opponents back into games rather than shutting the door on folks. Our 3 point shooting has been suspect and unreliable. It will all improve though.

SAGirl
11-24-2015, 07:50 PM
The offense is still efficient, but it's not explosive and it's doubtful as to whether that's going to change, since it's now been a season plus of this and seven of the top eight have been intact throughout.

The three-point percentage is fine right now, but they're 22nd/23rd in makes and attempts. Combined that with being dead last in free throw rate and playing at a slow pace and you've got a limited offense.

It's abundantly clear that they're going to have to upgrade fourth wing at some point. They essentially need a Neal/Belinelli type (I brought up Ellington a few weeks ago; he's having a terrible season, but I still like the fit). Someone who can hit threes in bunches and do so off the dribble/screens.

Since this team is struggling mightily to blow teams out and can't afford to waste many meaningful minutes on Anderson/Butler, they're having to resort to playing Leonard high 30's every game and a Parker/Mills back court for stretches, which can only work in certain match-ups.

What you state here has more to do with Danny being in a shooting slump (that has been trending on the positive side by the way), than with Rasual or Anderson.

I do think Rasual has been off, but he's also played irregular minutes and shooters need to keep shooting to break through. He may catch a rhythm yet. His defense has been solid and he's been giving the Spurs quality minutes.

We already knew Anderson was not a 3 pt threat except from the corners and he is not a prolific shooter anyway. His best feature is passing and he is not exactly the best fit in the bench which already has many players who can pass the ball at an elite level and his skillset becomes more redundant.

I think the most significant with Anderson is that he's been at his best in the SL, which has lacked ball movement and playmaking, and the past couple of games he has provided solid play with them, both defensively and offensively.

He's a project for the future sure, but contending teams already have very solid rosters, and can afford to have 1 or 2 young players to develop in order to refresh and renew talent. Last year those two project players were terrible (Ayres and Daye), so to have Anderson, Simmons and Boban to develop at the end of the bench is a huge improvement.

What the team really needs is for Danny and Lamarcus to play better offensively.

TD 21
11-24-2015, 09:06 PM
What you state here has more to do with Danny being in a shooting slump (that has been trending on the positive side by the way), than with Rasual or Anderson.

I do think Rasual has been off, but he's also played irregular minutes and shooters need to keep shooting to break through. He may catch a rhythm yet. His defense has been solid and he's been giving the Spurs quality minutes.

We already knew Anderson was not a 3 pt threat except from the corners and he is not a prolific shooter anyway. His best feature is passing and he is not exactly the best fit in the bench which already has many players who can pass the ball at an elite level and his skillset becomes more redundant.

I think the most significant with Anderson is that he's been at his best in the SL, which has lacked ball movement and playmaking, and the past couple of games he has provided solid play with them, both defensively and offensively.

He's a project for the future sure, but contending teams already have very solid rosters, and can afford to have 1 or 2 young players to develop in order to refresh and renew talent. Last year those two project players were terrible (Ayres and Daye), so to have Anderson, Simmons and Boban to develop at the end of the bench is a huge improvement.

What the team really needs is for Danny and Lamarcus to play better offensively.

No, it doesn't. It has to do with the lack of a quality fourth wing, why is why Pop is desperately trying to avoid playing a fourth. Besides, even though Green is due to progress to the mean (and is in the process of doing so), Leonard, Ginobili and to a lesser extent Mills, are all due to regress to the mean.

Butler has "been off" since sometime around mid season last season. At his age, it's possible he's just done, despite the surprising athleticism. Even if he's not, they need a more versatile shooter anyway.

Funny how so many now concede that Anderson is a poor fit for the bench, yet when I said it in the summer, the general consensus was otherwise.

I'm all for having intriguing projects to develop . . . on the third unit/in the D-League. In the present, this team needs someone good enough to be a fourth wing on a contender.

SAGirl
11-24-2015, 09:18 PM
No, it doesn't. It has to do with the lack of a quality fourth wing, why is why Pop is desperately trying to avoid playing a fourth. Besides, even though Green is due to progress to the mean (and is in the process of doing so), Leonard, Ginobili and to a lesser extent Mills, are all due to regress to the mean.

Butler has "been off" since sometime around mid season last season. At his age, it's possible he's just done, despite the surprising athleticism. Even if he's not, they need a more versatile shooter anyway.

Funny how so many now concede that Anderson is a poor fit for the bench, yet when I said it in the summer, the general consensus was otherwise.

I'm all for having intriguing projects to develop . . . on the third unit/in the D-League. In the present, this team needs someone good enough to be a fourth wing on a contender.

I am not conceding, I am being a realist in that the bench already has terrific passing, so what Anderson adds to the bench they already have a lot of. Its like bringing a guy who is an elite rebounder to a team that already has some of the best rebounders in the game. It makes the guy you brought become redundant, since there are only so many rebounds to grab in a game. It's a simplistic way of putting it, but Anderson's playmaking (his best asset at this early stage, together with his defense and rebounding) is not needed in the bench, therefore, it becomes redundant there. Our bench is already elite and doing well, so I don't know why you keep harping on the 4th wing.

Anderson's contribution has really come alive with the starters, because they at times get stagnant, and do lack playmaking, off the ball movement and tend to iso and hero ball a whole lot. Therefore, whenever you have Anderson there at anything from the 2-4 spot he's helped that lineup improve. Pop is not going to bench anyone in our starting lineup on account of this, Anderson has just highlighted how much more ball movement, and off the ball movement they need.

You are too premature to proclaim Butler done. Like I said, his playtime has been irregular and Pop's reasons for the lineups he's used may have absolutely nothing to do with Butler being done.

For the minutes they play, and the usage they get, Lamarcus and Danny increasing their level of play is more significant.

By the way, on another team, Anderson may already be playing regular minutes. 10-15 minutes is not out of the realm of possibility for him. Heck a guy like Ray who was averaging more than that last season is playing even less than Anderson. At this point, Anderson is not a dleaguer, neither is Ray.

Kawhitstorm
11-24-2015, 09:36 PM
Aldridge's jump shot has been uncharacteristically bad, too..it should positively regress, eventually..

Don't forget Danny:lol

TD 21
11-24-2015, 09:52 PM
I am not conceding, I am being a realist in that the bench already has terrific passing, so what Anderson adds to the bench they already have a lot of. Its like bringing a guy who is an elite rebounder to a team that already has some of the best rebounders in the game. It makes the guy you brought become redundant, since there are only so many rebounds to grab in a game. It's a simplistic way of putting it, but Anderson's playmaking (his best asset at this early stage, together with his defense and rebounding) is not needed in the bench, therefore, it becomes redundant there. Our bench is already elite and doing well, so I don't know why you keep harping on the 4th wing.

Anderson's contribution has really come alive with the starters, because they at times get stagnant, and do lack playmaking, off the ball movement and tend to iso and hero ball a whole lot. Therefore, whenever you have Anderson there at anything from the 2-4 spot he's helped that lineup improve. Pop is not going to bench anyone in our starting lineup on account of this, Anderson has just highlighted how much more ball movement, and off the ball movement they need.

You are too premature to proclaim Butler done. Like I said, his playtime has been irregular and Pop's reasons for the lineups he's used may have absolutely nothing to do with Butler being done.

For the minutes they play, and the usage they get, Lamarcus and Danny increasing their level of play is more significant.

By the way, on another team, Anderson may already be playing regular minutes. 10-15 minutes is not out of the realm of possibility for him. Heck a guy like Ray who was averaging more than that last season is playing even less than Anderson. At this point, Anderson is not a dleaguer, neither is Ray.

Everything in bold is made up/misinterpreted.

:lol That would be conceding. And to think you had the audacity to claim that I can't admit when I'm wrong. You could have at least given me the "give it more time" line.

Fourth wing is absolutely an issue, which is why Pop, who loves to balance out the minutes as much as possible, has resorted to playing Leonard high 30's minutes regularly and playing Parker and Mills together.

When Ginobili and/or Leonard get their inevitable 2-4 week injury (unfortunately, Green is long overdue one of these), it'll be even more of an issue.

SAGirl
11-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Everything in bold is made up/misinterpreted.

:lol That would be conceding. And to think you had the audacity to claim that I can't admit when I'm wrong. You could have at least given me the "give it more time" line.

Fourth wing is absolutely an issue, which is why Pop, who loves to balance out the minutes as much as possible, has resorted to playing Leonard high 30's minutes regularly and playing Parker and Mills together.

When Ginobili and/or Leonard get their inevitable 2-4 week injury (unfortunately, Green is long overdue one of these), it'll be even more of an issue.
See you have to get all personal and offended, and that is by far not my style.
I merely disagree with you, and I have no interest in getting all argumentative and arrogant. When the injured guys are some of your best players, yes their loss will be felt, but since we have a winning record, and Kawhi already sat 1 game, Manu two, and Lamarcus two so far, excuse me if I don't share your pessimistic view.

midnightpulp
11-25-2015, 02:23 AM

Despite our bickering, I generally agree with you on your takes, and the lack of not only a scoring wing (this wouldn't be a problem if Manu wasn't 100 and could play a consistent 25-30 minutes per game, every game) but a 3-and-D SF to back up Kawhi is a slight problem. Golden State took that next leap when they got Iggy. Their SRS went from 1.13 to over 5 from '13 to '14, and that was with Mark Jackson coaching. If we had someone like that off the bench, it's GG NBA. I'm not sold on Anderson yet, although when he comes in for Kawhi, it's proven dominant (small 17 min sample size though).

I think the offense will become less limited once the chemistry sets in. This team can score from a variety of post-positions and mid range spots, more than any other team by far, that will invariably open up the 3 point shot even more. We lack elite penetration, though, and there's just no around that right now (although Kawhi is becoming more aggressive).

YGWHI
11-25-2015, 10:29 AM
Looks like the team is having an adjustment period from the 'beautiful game' to a 'front line centric' mid-range game with lots more ISOs by LMA and Kwahi into the paint area for short jumpers. Who knows, Pop may have started a new fad that the league will try to copy if we win another championship with it.

Well...it seems ST narrative, but I wouldn't say a lot of ISOs. At least, not Kawhi's isos.

Kawhi's having 3.5 more possessions than last season, but only one of those is self-created (iso, post-up), he's getting more possessions within the flow of the offense.

2014: Self-created:5.5 Team-created:6.5

2015 Self-created:6.5 Team-created:8.8

TD 21
11-25-2015, 05:54 PM
See you have to get all personal and offended, and that is by far not my style.
I merely disagree with you, and I have no interest in getting all argumentative and arrogant. When the injured guys are some of your best players, yes their loss will be felt, but since we have a winning record, and Kawhi already sat 1 game, Manu two, and Lamarcus two so far, excuse me if I don't share your pessimistic view.

How did I get personal? You're clearly the one who got offended, because you took my comments as a slight on Anderson.

The Spurs' record is primarily a reflection of the competition or lack thereof; not their level of play. Having a key player sit out a game here or there is not exactly being decimated by injury either.

Despite our bickering, I generally agree with you on your takes, and the lack of not only a scoring wing (this wouldn't be a problem if Manu wasn't 100 and could play a consistent 25-30 minutes per game, every game) but a 3-and-D SF to back up Kawhi is a slight problem. Golden State took that next leap when they got Iggy. Their SRS went from 1.13 to over 5 from '13 to '14, and that was with Mark Jackson coaching. If we had someone like that off the bench, it's GG NBA. I'm not sold on Anderson yet, although when he comes in for Kawhi, it's proven dominant (small 17 min sample size though).

I think the offense will become less limited once the chemistry sets in. This team can score from a variety of post-positions and mid range spots, more than any other team by far, that will invariably open up the 3 point shot even more. We lack elite penetration, though, and there's just no around that right now (although Kawhi is becoming more aggressive).

It's a luxury to have two 3 and D wings as is; having three is something only the Warriors possess. As nice of a get as Iguodala was, he's down the list of reasons for their leap. I maintain that a shooting/scoring, secondary ball handling wing, is a greater need.

I'm not down on Anderson long term, but he's probably not ready to be a rotation player for a contender and even if he was, he's a poor fit. Reminds me of Joseph back in '13.

Unfortunately, the limited offense probably has more to do with personnel than chemistry. They're not built to be uptempo and they lack volume three-point shooters and players that get to the line at a high rate.

SAGirl
11-25-2015, 06:10 PM
How did I get personal? You're clearly the one who got offended, because you took my comments as a slight on Anderson.

The Spurs' record is primarily a reflection of the competition or lack thereof; not their level of play. Having a key player sit out a game here or there is not exactly being decimated by injury either.

I am not offended. Truly to be on this site you can't get offended by shyt.
Like I said I merely disagree with you, and I have no problem considering differing opinions. I actually like to read what others think concerning basketball, as long as its not trolling and I would not call you a troll. You talking about conceding and audacity is maybe taking it too far. It seems like you are the one who can't consider differing opinions without blowing a gasket. lol
:lmao

TD 21
11-25-2015, 06:46 PM
I am not offended. Truly to be on this site you can't get offended by shyt.
Like I said I merely disagree with you, and I have no problem considering differing opinions. I actually like to read what others think concerning basketball, as long as its not trolling and I would not call you a troll. You talking about conceding and audacity is maybe taking it too far. It seems like you are the one who can't consider differing opinions without blowing a gasket. lol
:lmao

I was obviously being sarcastic when I said conceding and audacity. I thought that went without saying.

Should I have also prefaced everything with "I think" or "tbh" or can it just be presumed that if I wrote it, I think it and that I'm being honest, since there's no reason not to be?

SAGirl
11-25-2015, 06:59 PM
I was obviously being sarcastic when I said conceding and audacity. I thought that went without saying.

Should I have also prefaced everything with "I think" or "tbh" or can it just be presumed that if I wrote it, I think it and that I'm being honest, since there's no reason not to be?
Its hard to tell sarcasm unless you blue font it, if its not a joke, specially because the tone of your posts don't make it seem like you like to crack jokes, or have a witty sense of humor. But its really hard to tell in print, don't you think? I can detect you are wanting to be sarcastic asking me about this.

But with that cleared up, I think neither of us care too much about this.

You have a valid point if Manu breaks down on us. If he's healthy our bench is elite. If he's out, it could be trouble. You are assuming there will be trouble, and it could be trouble.

I love Kyle but I don't think he's ready for a big role yet, he has to develop and build into that role, if he's ever going to get there. You can only get him there eventually, through some playtime, development and work in the gym. Even then, Manu is a HOF type player and once in a generation. It will take a team effort to replace what he provides if he's out, and maybe tweaking personnel when he retires.

For now, Pop has gone to Patty a whole lot for his scoring and I think with the rest of the guys in the bench, they should be able to do well enough, if Danny and Lamarcus getting out of their offensive doldrum. You should not need your bench to rescue your SL every time. If that wasn't happening almost every game, the Manu situation would not be as signficiant as it is. That is why I say the problem to me resides more with Danny/Lamarcus.

spursistan
11-26-2015, 11:43 AM
Pop is pretty aware of this reality....he acknowledged after the Mavs the team being carried mostly by the D..

“Our offense overall is a little bit rickety,” said coach Gregg Popovich, whose team gave up no more than 84 points on the three-game homestand. “It’s not very rhythmic or consistent. But we’re playing pretty hard on defense and that’s what’s keeping us in games.”

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Leonard-Spurs-hold-off-Mavs-6658287.php

TD 21
11-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Its hard to tell sarcasm unless you blue font it, if its not a joke, specially because the tone of your posts don't make it seem like you like to crack jokes, or have a witty sense of humor. But its really hard to tell in print, don't you think? I can detect you are wanting to be sarcastic asking me about this.

But with that cleared up, I think neither of us care too much about this.

You have a valid point if Manu breaks down on us. If he's healthy our bench is elite. If he's out, it could be trouble. You are assuming there will be trouble, and it could be trouble.

I love Kyle but I don't think he's ready for a big role yet, he has to develop and build into that role, if he's ever going to get there. You can only get him there eventually, through some playtime, development and work in the gym. Even then, Manu is a HOF type player and once in a generation. It will take a team effort to replace what he provides if he's out, and maybe tweaking personnel when he retires.

For now, Pop has gone to Patty a whole lot for his scoring and I think with the rest of the guys in the bench, they should be able to do well enough, if Danny and Lamarcus getting out of their offensive doldrum. You should not need your bench to rescue your SL every time. If that wasn't happening almost every game, the Manu situation would not be as signficiant as it is. That is why I say the problem to me resides more with Danny/Lamarcus.

Another issue with fourth wing is Pop's current reluctance to utilize Diaw as a small ball PF. This is leading to too much small ball, for a team no longer built for it, as I explained in the latest Warriors thread.

The minutes of the majority of the five perimeter rotation players isn't a big issue given the recent schedule, but it will be if it continues. They've got to get a fourth wing, in the mold of Neal/Belinelli, to eat up minutes.

SAGirl
11-26-2015, 07:02 PM
Another issue with fourth wing is Pop's current reluctance to utilize Diaw as a small ball PF. This is leading to too much small ball, for a team no longer built for it, as I explained in the latest Warriors thread.

The minutes of the majority of the five perimeter rotation players isn't a big issue given the recent schedule, but it will be if it continues. They've got to get a fourth wing, in the mold of Neal/Belinelli, to eat up minutes.

I am sure Pop misses Belinelli a whole lot. Butler is not his equivalent. I am not sure what the answer is for Pop. I don't think its sustainable the rate at which we are going with the wing rotation. Danny is underperforming. With his age and his skill, he could theoretically give you 34-36 minutes of play, but he's not. Not only is he shooting icy/hot more on the icy, but he's not making good decisions with the ball. He's capable of giving you the 18 pts. he gave you in the Suns game and then come up with complete stinkers. He's always been like that, but add to that all the off-the-dribble plays and bad 2 pt looks he's taking and he's not been good enough. That might be the elephant in the room.

Not sure what is up with Diaw. Kyle has done better in true small/ball. Diaw has looked out of sorts against true perimeter units, and is also falling back to a passive state.

spursistan
12-08-2015, 12:52 AM
We just padded that OFFENSIVE Rating in the Sixers blowout :lol Spurs are third in the league..

http://stats.nba.com/league/team/#!/advanced/?sort=OFF_RATING&dir=1

Mr Bones
12-08-2015, 01:34 AM
The anticipation of Spurs vs Warriors is shaping up to be a classic statistical match up... The Warriors have the highest rated offense by a large margin and the Spurs have the highest rated defense by a large margin. But it's actually more complex than that: The Warriors are currently 5th in defense and the Spurs are 3rd in offense.

AFMadison
12-08-2015, 01:49 AM
The anticipation of Spurs vs Warriors is shaping up to be a classic statistical match up... The Warriors have the highest rated offense by a large margin and the Spurs have the highest rated defense by a large margin. But it's actually more complex than that: The Warriors are currently 5th in defense and the Spurs are 3rd in offense.
http://cdn.makeagif.com/save/SBVnHu

TD 21
12-08-2015, 06:45 PM
The offense may be looking slightly more refined, but it's still not explosive and that's not going to change until Green starts looking like himself and they acquire a Neal/Belinelli type fourth wing. It would also be nice if Aldridge started shooting more threes, but that's not as vital.

spursistan
12-16-2015, 04:40 PM
http://www.si.com/sites/default/files/2015/12/16/spurs-offense-efficiency.jpeg

ceperez
12-16-2015, 04:59 PM
The offense may be looking slightly more refined, but it's still not explosive and that's not going to change until Green starts looking like himself and they acquire a Neal/Belinelli type fourth wing. It would also be nice if Aldridge started shooting more threes, but that's not as vital.

Spurs don't want to peak too early. Pop doesn't want to show all his cards. What the Spurs are showing is just a glimpse of what they are capable of. They are barely struggling and most of the loses they looked like they just gave away.

I'm not even sure if any of the regular season games against the Warriors will reveal much. Spurs will try to size up their opponent and GSW will do likewise.

DMC
12-16-2015, 04:59 PM
Pop will rest his starters like he did in GS before. We still won.

DMC
12-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Spurs don't want to peak too early. Pop doesn't want to show all his cards. What the Spurs are showing is just a glimpse of what they are capable of. They are barely struggling and most of the loses they looked like they just gave away.

I'm not even sure if any of the regular season games against the Warriors will reveal much. Spurs will try to size up their opponent and GSW will do likewise.
You want other teams to worry about you, to plan for you. That causes them to work harder. You want teams working harder.

Steve Kerr isn't in the least bit fooled by any early season Spurs offensive woes. He sees the defense and that's what worries him, because defense isn't a fluke. Steve isn't going to let his guys relax for a second.

Mel_13
12-16-2015, 05:04 PM
http://www.si.com/sites/default/files/2015/12/16/spurs-offense-efficiency.jpeg

Even better than the chart are the words that went along with it:

The pleasant surprise—and it really shouldn’t be a surprise after so many seasons of consistent greatness—is how machine-like San Antonio’s offensive improvement has been. Here’s a simple look at San Antonio’s offensive rating so far this season, at the two-week mark, the four-week mark, the six-week mark and through Monday’s game. The improvement is so steady that it’s a bit haunting, as if it’s going to continue refining itself forever like a deadly, mutating virus.

While the Warriors’ offense has been a non-stop fireworks show this season, the Spurs’ attack has been a thunderstorm gradually gaining momentum and force. Importantly, it shows no signs of easing up. On the contrary, there’s still untapped potential here, as Aldridge finds his bearings and Danny Green pulls out of an uncharacteristically shaky shooting start.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/12/16/san-antonio-spurs-kawhi-leonard-tim-duncan-lamarcus-aldridge

Brazil
12-16-2015, 05:20 PM
^good read

thanks Mel

DPG21920
12-16-2015, 05:31 PM
I think everyone could see the potential oozing from this team since game 1. There are still big question marks (Danny shooting, TP sustaining & Manu as well). But with Kawhi still developing, LMA finding his groove and the defense answering all the questions/concerns with Tiago gone, it's all there.

Cry Havoc
12-16-2015, 05:38 PM
To this point, LMA, West, Green, and Diaw have been underutilized or have underperformed on offense. The only overperformer on the team so far is probably Manu -- I don't expect him to hold pace.

If even two of the first four mentioned get their head on straight and play consistently, we are going to be loaded with weapons on offense. Green is they key for the starting unit though, we really need him to spread the floor.

aal04
12-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Our offense stats and point differential are skewered by blowouts. Dont take anything from them.

Eye test tells me we have a lot to improve on

TrainOfThought5
12-16-2015, 05:43 PM

I think this could actually be huge for our offense if integrated well.

TrainOfThought5
12-16-2015, 05:46 PM
Our offense stats and point differential are skewered by blowouts. Dont take anything from them.

Eye test tells me we have a lot to improve on

This... we're beating up on bad teams, teams with injuries, and teams coming off backtobacks. I think the defense is real though. I think the offense is a mirage so far.

SAGirl
12-16-2015, 05:51 PM
If even two of the first four mentioned get their head on straight and play consistently, we are going to be loaded with weapons on offense. Green is they key for the starting unit though, we really need him to spread the floor.

That is what I have been saying concerning the Green vs. Simmons debate. No one else in the current team can do exactly what Danny does. J.Simms is similar in size to Danny but nowhere near the experienced defender that Danny is and still too foul-prone to actually be a better defensive option. Offensively, he can do some damage, specially in transition, but his game doesn't spread the floor, and actually duplicates some of what Tony does (in a less skilled fashion), and maybe some of what Kawhi does (also in a less skilled fashion)... while he's not known as a jumpshooter and certainly not the volume 3 pt shooter that Danny is.

We have been ok so far, but for the long run, we need Danny (3-D Danny, not driving Danny) back.

spursistan
12-17-2015, 12:38 PM
Lamarcus Aldridge watch:

SPLITS
GP
MPG
FG%
RPG
APG
BLKPG
STPG
PFPG
PPG

Last 10 Games

spursistan
12-17-2015, 12:41 PM
^ we are only in December.. if he is 19/9 in the playoffs on that kind of efficiency..NBA= f:lolcked

DAF86
12-17-2015, 12:52 PM
To this point, LMA, West, Green, and Diaw have been underutilized or have underperformed on offense. The only overperformer on the team so far is probably Manu -- I don't expect him to hold pace.

Why the fuck not? :lol

He's averaging 11 ppg on pretty normal shooting % for him (47 FG%, 35 3PT%, 77 FT%). As long as he doesn't get injured I don't see why he couldn't keep this going.

The ones that may regress a little are Kawhi (50 % from 3's :lol) and Tony (56% from the field).

Cry Havoc
12-17-2015, 01:07 PM
Why the fuck not? :lol

He's averaging 11 ppg on pretty normal shooting % for him (47 FG%, 35 3PT%, 77 FT%). As long as he doesn't get injured I don't see why he couldn't keep this going.

The ones that may regress a little are Kawhi (50 % from 3's :lol) and Tony (56% from the field).

Mostly because I don't expect him to stay 100% the entire season. Nothing against his abilities to be productive.

Raven
12-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Anything under 40 points + 20 assist per game is not overperforming for manu. He is basketball.

DAF86
12-17-2015, 01:55 PM
Mostly because I don't expect him to stay 100% the entire season. Nothing against his abilities to be productive.

So basically what you're predicting is him getting injured?

Nobody stays 100% during the entire season but I don't see why he couldn't stay relatively healthy. He hasn't had a serious injury in years.

*He will now, of course, get a season ending injury next game.

Cry Havoc
12-17-2015, 02:38 PM
So basically what you're predicting is him getting injured?

Nobody stays 100% during the entire season but I don't see why he couldn't stay relatively healthy. He hasn't had a serious injury in years.

*He will now, of course, get a season ending injury next game.

Not seriously injured. I don't mean that. But enough to take some of the edge off. He is always riding a fine line between one of the best playmakers in NBA history and having a multi-turnover game.

I don't mean he won't be effective, either. I think he will be this season for us. But I can't get my hopes up that we'll even have a 90% Manu come post-season.