PDA

View Full Version : Report in Serbia says Divac plans to retire

Horry For 3!
09-19-2005, 03:21 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aqwyz0bn4OddYZLCeWzEFYy8vLYF?slug=ap-lakers-divac-retirement&prov=ap&type=lgns

BELGRADE, Serbia-Montenegro (AP) -- Los Angeles Lakers center Vlade Divac plans to retire as a player but will remain with the team as an assistant coach and scout, a Serbian newspaper reported Friday.

``It is enough,'' Divac told the Blic daily. ``No, I won't play the next season. I'll work for the Lakers as an assistant coach and an international scout.''

The 37-year-old Divac, who returned to the Lakers last season, underwent back surgery in January and played in only 15 games, averaging 2.3 points and 2.1 rebounds. He averaged 11.9 points and 8.3 rebounds in 15 previous NBA seasons -- six with the Lakers, two with Charlotte and seven with Sacramento.

``The injury has only helped my decision to retire,'' Divac said. ``I always gave 100 percent to the sport, and after so many years of playing, I can no longer do that. I'm ending my professional career as a player, but I will remain in basketball.''

The Lakers and Divac had previously agreed to postpone a decision on his contract status.

Los Angeles had the choice of picking up a one-year, $5.4 million option or paying a $2 million buyout.

``I can't confirm that Vlade has retired. Right now, it's premature and we have not been notified of that,'' Lakers spokesman John Black said.

ShoogarBear
09-20-2005, 05:16 PM
And so the balance of power changes in the West. There's no stopping the Lakers now!

Sense
09-20-2005, 08:08 PM
This is old news.

Kori Ellis
09-20-2005, 08:13 PM
The part that he is retiring is old news (2 months ago) but the part about him becoming an assistant coach for the Lakers came out 3 days ago.

Sense
09-20-2005, 08:57 PM
The part that he is retiring is old news (2 months ago) but the part about him becoming an assistant coach for the Lakers came out 3 days ago.

oops, missed that part.

What is up with old Laker players wanting to coach?

Horry For 3!
09-21-2005, 01:01 AM
I just got it from Yahoo Sports, it was new on there. I guess because of the assistant coach?

ShoogarBear
09-21-2005, 04:03 PM
This story could be subtitled: "Kwame learns to flop (and smoke)"