PDA

View Full Version : Chip Kelly, HC Miami Hurricanes - Book it

sasaint
11-26-2015, 02:10 PM
Like many successful college head coaches before him, Chip Kelly has proved he is no NFL head coach. Of the numerous colleges jobs now (or soon to be) open, Miami seems like the place for Chip. Bet he ends up there and elevates them to national prominence once again. Can possibly see him in Baton Rouge...

Silver&Black
11-26-2015, 02:38 PM
I think LSU is more likely than Miami.

Kids in Florida just don't see Miami as the go-to school anymore. They're going to Florida and Florida St. now. LSU still lands top level recruiting classes.

BTW...I don't think Les Miles should be fired/replaced. They just need a new offensive coordinator who isn't a complete fuckin moron...and can develop a QB.

UNT Eagles 2016
11-26-2015, 02:53 PM
If the Eagles come back and win the division, all will be forgiven. They'll have to beat New England at Gillette Stadium to do so, however.

HarlemHeat37
11-26-2015, 02:55 PM
I don't think he's a bad coach, at all, tbh, but he really fucked himself by trying to be the GM, as well..absolutely horrendous job, obviously..

The trades have been widely discussed, but I still don't know why he signed Demarco Murray to that contract:lol..

UNT Eagles 2016
11-26-2015, 03:00 PM
I don't think he's a bad coach, at all, tbh, but he really fucked himself by trying to be the GM, as well..absolutely horrendous job, obviously..

The trades have been widely discussed, but I still don't know why he signed Demarco Murray to that contract:lol..
He wanted a fairy tale touchy feely thing with college buddies/roommates/teammates Bradford and Murray reuniting to form a memorable NFL contender and dynasty.

Secondly, he wanted to spite the Cowboys and not have to play against him twice per year.

Murray is best built for a slower-tempo offense though like the ground and pound Cowboys from a year ago. Still think Murray has some left in the tank but not in that system.

sasaint
11-26-2015, 03:12 PM
If the Eagles come back and win the division, all will be forgiven. They'll have to beat New England at Gillette Stadium to do so, however.

Win the division?! Seen them today against Detroit? But not just today...

UNT Eagles 2016
11-26-2015, 03:16 PM
Win the division?! Seen them today against Detroit? But not just today...

They need to win out + see the Giants lose 1 more game to win the division... since the Eagles play the Redskins again and the Giants in week 17.

Giants have kind of a tough schedule going forward, but they have ELIte Manning.

sasaint
11-26-2015, 03:16 PM
He wanted a fairy tale touchy feely thing with college buddies/roommates/teammates Bradford and Murray reuniting to form a memorable NFL contender and dynasty.

Secondly, he wanted to spite the Cowboys and not have to play against him twice per year.

Murray is best built for a slower-tempo offense though like the ground and pound Cowboys from a year ago. Still think Murray has some left in the tank but not in that system.

As a non-fan of the Cowboys, I thought the decision to keep Dez and let DeMarco walk was a very poor move. Dez kills them with drops a lot more than he helps them with anything "elite".

UNT Eagles 2016
11-26-2015, 03:17 PM
As a non-fan of the Cowboys, I thought the decision to keep Dez and let DeMarco walk was a very poor move. Dez kills them with drops a lot more than he helps them with anything "elite".

Let Dez go, and who's your #1 WR? Dez drops a lot of easy balls but makes up for it by catching some of the most difficult ones in the NFL.

sasaint
11-26-2015, 03:17 PM
They need to win out + see the Giants lose 1 more game to win the division... since the Eagles play the Redskins again and the Giants in week 17.

Giants have kind of a tough schedule going forward, but they have ELIte Manning.

Don't see the team I am watching today winning out. Kelly is gone.

sasaint
11-26-2015, 03:21 PM
Let Dez go, and who's your #1 WR? Dez drops a lot of easy balls but makes up for it by catching some of the most difficult ones in the NFL.

I obviously come down on the other side of the line. His "great" plays are fewer and don't come at make or break moments like most of his drops. Killed them against the Bucs.

sasaint
11-26-2015, 03:25 PM

Kids in Florida just don't see Miami as the go-to school anymore. They're going to Florida and Florida St. now. LSU still lands top level recruiting classes.

BTW...I don't think Les Miles should be fired/replaced. They just need a new offensive coordinator who isn't a complete fuckin moron...and can develop a QB.

Not a big Les Miles fan, but I agree; I'm not sure he should get canned. I expect he will be, though. But Florida kids will go to south Florida again if it offers a good chance to win. Winning cures all ills.

Chris
11-26-2015, 03:36 PM
That would be hilarious considering he came in and absolutely gutted that team :lol

Raven
11-26-2015, 03:41 PM

giants are a terrible team. They could lose every match as they could win some.

Darth_Pelican
11-26-2015, 03:42 PM

Les Miles is a terrible coach. Top 5 recruiting class every year, former LSU players all over the NFL, and he still loses to inferior opponents and finishes the season ranked much lower than what he starts the season. Take it from someone who watches every LSU game: He is terrible. His only crystal ball was with Saban's players and he lucked into the game because Pitt beat WVU.

sasaint
11-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Les Miles is a terrible coach. Top 5 recruiting class every year, former LSU players all over the NFL, and he still loses to inferior opponents and finishes the season ranked much lower than what he starts the season. Take it from someone who watches every LSU game: He is terrible. His only crystal ball was with Saban's players and he lucked into the game because Pitt beat WVU.

This is the absolute truth; it is still a stronger statement about the state of college football than it is about Les when a coach with a winning record gets canned. I am also not sure that he couldn't win (despite himself) with a good OC who could develop a QB. As my name implies, I have south Louisiana connections. I am afraid our pro team is headed for a long, ugly rebuild.

sasaint
11-26-2015, 04:21 PM
giants are a terrible team. They could lose every match as they could win some.

True. But who isn't terrible in the NFC Least?

HemisfairArena
11-26-2015, 06:08 PM
USC would be the logical choice,,,back to the Pac 12 and for a big time university. It worked for Pete Carroll's career after he failed the first time in the pro's.

HemisfairArena
11-26-2015, 06:15 PM

You put to much stock in receivers,,,I've seen the Steelers let Burress walk and draft Holmes, then trade Holmes and draft Brown and then draft another stud in Martavis Bryant,,,receivers are a dime a dozen.

Silver&Black
11-26-2015, 07:27 PM

I wouldn't go as far as calling him a "terrible coach". But, I'll respect your opinion on it.

My biggest problem with Les is his clock management and his use of timeouts. A lot of times I've wondered WTF is he doing in close game situations with his clock management, but it always seemed like it never hurt them. They would always still find a way to win the game.

sasaint
11-26-2015, 07:30 PM
USC would be the logical choice,,,back to the Pac 12 and for a big time university. It worked for Pete Carroll's career after he failed the first time in the pro's.

Oops, I forgot about USCheat. Good possibility. There will be a ton of job openings in college football this year.

HemisfairArena
11-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Oops, I forgot about USCheat. Good possibility. There will be a ton of job openings in college football this year.

USC would be the favorite to land him and can you imagine Oregon fan reaction if that happens,,,

sasaint
11-26-2015, 07:53 PM
USC would be the favorite to land him and can you imagine Oregon fan reaction if that happens,,,

:(:ihit:downspin: Something like UK fans' reaction to Pitino's going to Louisville after his failed stint in the NBA! Or LSU's fans' reaction to Saban going to Bama.

spurtech09
11-26-2015, 07:57 PM
Chip is welcome to come to the Cowboys....Just to get rid of Jason Garrett....

sasaint
11-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Chip is welcome to come to the Cowboys....Just to get rid of Jason Garrett....

Pretty sure Jerry is not going to hire a guy who is both HC and GM, and I'm pretty sure Chip isn't going to go from that level of control to become Jerry's latest puppet - even if he is fired!

Pelicans78
11-27-2015, 08:34 AM
I wouldn't go as far as calling him a "terrible coach". But, I'll respect your opinion on it.

My biggest problem with Les is his clock management and his use of timeouts. A lot of times I've wondered WTF is he doing in close game situations with his clock management, but it always seemed like it never hurt them. They would always still find a way to win the game.

Another big problem is his tight control of the offense. No matter what coordinator is there, the offense is really predictable and limited. QBs never develop and the passing game sucks despite all the NFL-caliber WRs who pass thru.

Avante
11-27-2015, 09:02 AM
Kelly is 24-20 as an NFL head coach, that tells us he needs at least another season in the NFL if he wants it. And if he doesn't then yep the place to go would be Miami. He'd be in speed heaven, tons of players to recruit that fit his style of play.

sasaint
11-27-2015, 03:41 PM
Kelly is 24-20 as an NFL head coach, that tells us he needs at least another season in the NFL if he wants it. And if he doesn't then yep the place to go would be Miami. He'd be in speed heaven, tons of players to recruit that fit his style of play.

You may think he needs another season, but I'm not sure the folks in Philly do. This is season 3, and the team does not seem to be progressing. He is gone unless the Iggles miraculously get to the playoffs and win at least one and probably two playoff games.

BatManu20
11-27-2015, 04:18 PM
He's def going to be the hot name for any vacant coaching position once he's let go in Philly. Starting to think Jerry Jones paid him to destroy that organization from within tbh. He's been horrendous and gutted that team of all their talent.

Hoops Czar
11-27-2015, 06:08 PM
LSU, currently number 1 in recruiting could be a prime destination for Chip Kelly. It looks like Les will be out the door following the A&M game.

Silver&Black
11-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Another big problem is his tight control of the offense. No matter what coordinator is there, the offense is really predictable and limited. QBs never develop and the passing game sucks despite all the NFL-caliber WRs who pass thru.

Tru dat.

Predictable offense to say the least. I said this in another thread:

1st down - Run
2nd down - Run
3rd down - Pass

That's LSU's offense right now.

JMarkJohns
11-28-2015, 02:11 PM
Jimbo to LSU
Kelly to Florida State
Richt to Miami

Pelicans78
11-28-2015, 02:31 PM
Jimbo to LSU
Kelly to Florida State
Richt to Miami

Richt won't ever leave Georgia unless he's fired.

JMarkJohns
11-28-2015, 03:45 PM

I have heard rumblings he should start looking for a new gig. He's a U alum. He recruits that region well.

Kelly to Florida State makes sense on field. Not sure off.

Jimbo coached at LSU.

With Virginia Tech now filled, I think the South Carolina and Marylands of the world follow suit.

The rumblings on USC are all over the place. Heard they are making a play for Gruden.

Georgia, once available, would be interesting. I've heard Miles as well.

Where do you go after firing a 10-2 coach? Les Miles?

hehateme
11-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Bimbo would never leave an easy path with FSU to go to the SEC and try to win over the hardest conference in Div 1

JMarkJohns
11-28-2015, 07:48 PM
Jimbo had a falling out with the Athletic Department.

Heard it's basically devolved to where he's willing to walk.

sasaint
11-28-2015, 11:41 PM
I will be surprised if Mike London survives at Virginia.

sasaint
11-28-2015, 11:43 PM
On the pro side, where do the Iggles turn, assuming Chip is gone?

JMarkJohns
11-29-2015, 12:35 PM
Richt to Miami

My rumblings are seldom wrong. Curious to see Fisher play out since his falling out with ups. Southern Cal, maybe? He could own the PAC like he owns the ACC.

Pelicans78
11-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Richt has a closer connection to Florida State than with Miami since he was a longtime offensive coordinator under Bobby Bowden for many years including national championship teams.

But if Richt had to chose between Miami and Georgia, he would pick Georgia. Much better facilities and less-recruiting battles in-state. He wouldn't win anymore at Miami than Georgia.

Pelicans78
11-29-2015, 01:16 PM
Nevermind. Richt was just fired.

Pelicans78
11-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Check that, he resigned and will stay as assistant AD.

JMarkJohns
11-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Yes, all that may be true, but Florida State isn't open at the moment, and Richt is a U alum, so he seems like a solid bet to be atop their list.

I could see Smart going to Goergia and Richt taking the South Carolina gig as a potential FU to Georgia. But I've heard for weeks Miami has been waiting for this. If they make a competitive offer, I'm not sure why Rickt says no. Move from SEC to ACC, stay in region, and coach your alma mater.

Pelicans78
11-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Smart would be a terrible hire for Georgia.

JMarkJohns
11-29-2015, 01:23 PM
Smart would be a terrible hire for Georgia.

He's a Georgia Alum and stealing him hurts both Alabama and South Carolina (unless Richt takes that job).

Pelicans78
11-29-2015, 01:24 PM
He's a Georgia Alum and stealing him hurts both Alabama and South Carolina (unless Richt takes that job).

But he's no different than Muschamp who had no prior head coaching experience. And he coached under Saban's defense which doesn't make it too impressive.

JMarkJohns
11-29-2015, 01:34 PM
I get it. I think firing Richt (or pushing him to resign) is a moronic move.

But who does Georgia think it's getting?

Smart? Rich Rodriguez?

Shoulda kept Richt.

Pelicans78
11-29-2015, 01:40 PM
I get it. I think firing Richt (or pushing him to resign) is a moronic move.

But who does Georgia think it's getting?

Smart? Rich Rodriguez?

Shoulda kept Richt.

The names of candidates are Smart, Mullens from Mississippi St, Hermann from Houston, and then Jimbo and Chip Kelly :lol

JMarkJohns
11-29-2015, 02:47 PM
Mullens is interesting. He should make that move to the weaker division, but stay in same recruiting region.

I'm hearing Hermann is the name to watch.

South Carolina should absolutely go all in on Richt. I still think he ends up at Miami.

sasaint
11-29-2015, 05:55 PM
The names of candidates are Smart, Mullens from Mississippi St, Hermann from Houston, and then Jimbo and Chip Kelly :lol

Mullens to Georgia would be pretty scary for everybody not named Saban in the SEC, IMHO.

Pelicans78
11-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Mullens to Georgia would be pretty scary for everybody not named Saban in the SEC, IMHO.

Yeah I would go with Mullins.

Avante
11-30-2015, 08:48 PM
Chip Kely has made it very clear he doesn't wanna deal with boosters/alumni, reruiting anymore, he's staying in the NFL.

JMarkJohns
12-01-2015, 11:49 PM
Smart to Georgia, as I said initially, with Muschamp likely to South Carolina, and Richt to Miami.

Killakobe81
12-02-2015, 09:19 AM

This. he also would get to mold those read option QB's from inner city FL that go elsewhere. they wont out recruit FL or FSU but if they get close CHJip's system wil level the playing field.

JMarkJohns
12-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Ive heard the Job is Richt's if he wants it.

Remember, it was just last offseason where multiple former eagles openly opined if Chip was a racist. Of course that's absurd, but I can't foresee the dozens of outspoken "U" NFLers will just sit back and see him run their ship.

Richt has sent 70-something players to the Pros. His system has done well in a tough SEC. Give him the weaker ACC and I bet he wins a Conference Title or two, if not more over the next 5 or so years.

JMarkJohns
12-02-2015, 05:22 PM
Miami and Richt are a match made in heaven.

They understand and appreciate each other.

Each's strength plays into the others.

I don't know how it will end, but I'd been told since before Richt was even fired this was something he had eyes on.

Not sure if it's final, but word is Richt is expected to be named head coach of Miami.

I still maintain had Les Miles been fired my initial post above would have happened.

Pelicans78
12-02-2015, 06:36 PM
JMark, you do have sources. Good stuff. Win for Miami. He's a hell of a recruiter.

Pelicans78
12-02-2015, 06:39 PM
JMark, you think Jimbo would have taken the LSU job?

sasaint
12-02-2015, 11:42 PM
Miami and Richt are a match made in heaven.

They understand and appreciate each other.

Each's strength plays into the others.

I don't know how it will end, but I'd been told since before Richt was even fired this was something he had eyes on.

Not sure if it's final, but word is Richt is expected to be named head coach of Miami.

I still maintain had Les Miles been fired my initial post above would have happened.

I missed my call. Richt to Miami, it is.

JMarkJohns
12-03-2015, 12:56 AM
JMark, you think Jimbo would have taken the LSU job?

I heard had LSU fired Miles that they were full on for Jimbo who has issues with current FSU AD and them sorts. He's also already climbed that mountain and may see LSU as a new challenge. Either way I was effectively told Fisher would have strongly considered leaving for LSU.

But I was told stuff on Richt a few weeks back. I know word is he "resigned" but it was mutual. Georgia had eyes for greener grass and dumb or not, they had eyes for Smart.

Richt to Miami was a guarantee as soon as Miami expressed interest and paid competitive. There's been interest there on Richt's part for years, but last opening he was like one year removed from an SEC Title game loss. So he wasn't leaving.

I do indeed have sources. I don't throw em around as much as I used to, and they certainly have been wrong, but normally it's because something came out of left field.

Like Helton to USC. I'd heard that maybe if he won the PAC-12 title game, but before? Just odd. Must not have heard good things from their name candidates.

Normally my specialty is Arizona, but I have contacts that work at Virginia Tech and a Georgia newspaper. So I'm tuned in to the East Coast a bit. The Jimbo and Kelly talk I referenced game from my Georgia source. The Miami talk was speculation based on logic and hearsay, but it made a ton of sense.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-03-2015, 03:54 PM
If you have a good running game you don't pass on 1st down (except for maybe a short pass). Incomplete and you're up against it at 2nd & 10, which means you pretty much have to pass to try and avoid the dreaded 3rd & long.

Blake
12-03-2015, 07:39 PM
If you have a good running game you don't pass on 1st down (except for maybe a short pass). Incomplete and you're up against it at 2nd & 10, which means you pretty much have to pass to try and avoid the dreaded 3rd & long.

Well if you run on first down and get stuffed, you're pretty much in the same boat.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Well if you run on first down and get stuffed, you're pretty much in the same boat.
Even worse if you try to get cute with the play action stuff on 1st and the defense reads it like a book, mauls your QB, and sets you up to face at best a 2nd & 17.

JMarkJohns
12-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Spurrier supported Muschamp. But there's enough of a disconnect twixt Muschamp and the AD that it now sounds like Rich Rodriguez is gaining considerable traction. Arizona sources all said if it goes into Saturday without a name, Rodriguez was a strong candidate. Further, now everything has been shuttered. Nobody is saying anything.

Starting to feel like maybe:

Rodriguez to USC
Mullen or Dykes to Arizona
Dykes or Muschamp to Mississippi State

Not sure who Cal is looking at.

Mullen wants out at MSU, and Byrne, current Arizona and former MSU AD, hired Mullen, at Mississippi State. Dykes was OC under Stoops at Arizona a few years back.

JMarkJohns
12-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Supposedly Tanner will announce coach tomorrow for South Carolina.

Lots of USC folks saying Muschamp still has all the real support, but Tanner likes Rodriguez.

Guess we'll know tomorrow.

Pelicans78
12-05-2015, 04:53 PM
Supposedly Tanner will announce coach tomorrow for South Carolina.

Lots of USC folks saying Muschamp still has all the real support, but Tanner likes Rodriguez.

Guess we'll know tomorrow.

The SEC East could even get worse with the addition of Smart and Muschamp.

JMarkJohns
12-05-2015, 11:21 PM
Rich turned down a subpar offer that failed to meet his demands to become Aouth Carolina head coach.

But he was gone with a legit offer.

I'll be honest, my sources got me all jazzed up about Mullen, so I'm a bit disappointed. Mostly because we now keep his shitty defense.

Chris
12-31-2015, 03:08 PM
That would be hilarious considering he came in and absolutely gutted that team :lol

:lol

Props to the OP

JMarkJohns
12-31-2015, 04:46 PM
Sumlin needs to start prepping his résumé.

sasaint
12-31-2015, 10:55 PM
Sumlin needs to start prepping his résumé.

Not to make room for Chip Kelly. He is head to the Titans.

JMarkJohns
12-31-2015, 11:03 PM
Maybe. Maybe not.

Let's see the scratch being thrown around first.

Plus, I've heard A&M is looking to part ways and even if they miss on Kelly, firing Sumlin now in the name of luring Kelly could be seen as a net gain even without Kelly.

Gonna get interesting.

HemisfairArena
12-31-2015, 11:53 PM
USC kicking themselves in the ass not waiting for Chip Kelly. He would have been perfect for them in the Pac 12,,,,

JMarkJohns
01-01-2016, 12:34 AM
I actually think Kelly will be a better fit at A&M. Smaller media market, and while SEC, the spotlight shines brightest on Alabama, LSU, Florida, so it'd be a lot like Oregon.

Plus A&M prints its own money through oil boosters like Oregon and Nike.

USC has a few quirks. Huge media market + Kelly's attitude and you get a bunch of hands-on boosters, etc. who get pissed off and blabber all over.

But Titans make a ton of sense too.

HemisfairArena
01-01-2016, 12:41 AM
Kelly with the Titans does make a lot of sense if he stays in the pro's,,,,just like the Colts should back the money truck up to Jim Harbaugh's house and offer him whatever he wants to be the new Colts head coach and pair back up with Andrew Luck. Look how great that guy has done everywhere he has gone,,,,he even got a scrub QB in Kapernick to the Super Bowl. Colts would become immediate Super Bowl favorites if they can land Harbaugh,,,

Avante
01-01-2016, 12:39 PM

This is why I preach the importance of the running game. Plus it gobbles up clock and gives your D a good rest, and helps protect a lead.

Avante
01-01-2016, 12:41 PM
We're going to find out Chip Kely really isn't all that.

JMarkJohns
01-01-2016, 03:13 PM
Kelly is a good coach, great mind, and terrible person.

Very seldom is the stay long for know-it-all asshole who isn't competing for titles every few years. They burn everyone out too fast to sustain.

JMarkJohns
01-01-2016, 03:14 PM
That said, I honest to God have no idea what he was doing this offseason.