PDA

View Full Version : Timmy and Manu to miss Denver game

TXstbobcat
11-26-2015, 09:53 PM
Timmy and Manu didn't travel to Denver for the game tomorow. Looks like just for rest.

BatManu20
11-26-2015, 09:55 PM

MultiTroll
11-26-2015, 10:01 PM
:clap :pop:

Keepin' it real
11-26-2015, 10:04 PM
They will be Black Friday shopping.

100%duncan
11-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Should win but expect another close one.

Mel_13
11-26-2015, 10:07 PM
Predictable.

loveforthegame
11-26-2015, 10:22 PM
Not surprising. Let those guys rest and be ready for Atlanta.

NASpurs
11-26-2015, 10:23 PM
It evens out:

ElNono
11-26-2015, 10:25 PM
No reason to watch the game #playerfan

BillMc
11-26-2015, 10:26 PM
Good move, tbh.

sasaint
11-26-2015, 10:29 PM
I think we all expected Manu to get the day off, but I'm a little surprised Tim isn't going to Denver, especially after as little burn as he got against the Mavs. Hope we don't drop one in Denver. Nuggets are a little improved this year.

ajh18
11-26-2015, 10:33 PM
Good call. Tim looked a bit lethargic yesterday and both of them likely want to spend extra holiday time with their family. Not a bad call when that could be a main factor in retirement decisions too.

SAGirl
11-26-2015, 10:33 PM
I think we all expected Manu to get the day off, but I'm a little surprised Tim isn't going to Denver, especially after as little burn as he got against the Mavs. Hope we don't drop one in Denver. Nuggets are a little improved this year.
Jokic was balling the other time. He got all sorts of looks at the rim.

I hope we see Boban!
the rest of the bench too.
:clap

BillMc
11-26-2015, 10:37 PM
Two older guys who considered retiring to spend more time with their families, don't have to travel on Thanksgiving and get to spend more time with them.

:toast

Mr. Body
11-26-2015, 11:00 PM
Good idea. With Aldridge having a chance to watch from the bench for a couple games, let him operate on the first squad without Duncan for a game or two.

sasaint
11-26-2015, 11:10 PM
Good idea. With Aldridge having a chance to watch from the bench for a couple games, let him operate on the first squad without Duncan for a game or two.

Good point. Good thing for Spurs fans to focus on.

Silver&Black
11-26-2015, 11:11 PM

:lol Good one...

Sorry for your loss.

Spurs 4 The Win
11-26-2015, 11:30 PM
Good call. Tim looked a bit lethargic yesterday and both of them likely want to spend extra holiday time with their family. Not a bad call when that could be a main factor in retirement decisions too.

This cannot be emphasized enough, Tim and Manu are family men, they want to spend time with them, if we let them take some games off around the major holidays, that may entice them to stay another season. Plus, now we get to see what Aldridge can do with Duncan out. Should still win anyways.

Uriel
11-27-2015, 07:39 AM
It's only a good call if the Spurs win, tbh. With how stacked the West is this year, we can't really afford to give away too many regular season games.

exstatic
11-27-2015, 07:45 AM
It's only a good call if the Spurs win, tbh. With how stacked the West is this year, we can't really afford to give away too many regular season games.

Better to rest our seniors and MAYBE drop a game or two than to have them go into the playoffs dragging ass. Fail.

exstatic
11-27-2015, 07:51 AM

It's the first of a B2B, and his load was NOT light on Wednesday. He played 28 minutes, which is normal.

Eventually (and very soon), we will be permanently without these two guys, so the Spurs need to know how to do that.

Canyonero
11-27-2015, 09:03 AM

:depressed

Mel_13
11-27-2015, 09:47 AM
It's only a good call if the Spurs win, tbh.

They're two of the five oldest players in the NBA. Neither one is playing 82 games. You can plan their off days in ways to maximize the beneficial effects of the rest, or you can wait until their bodies break down and they miss games without warning.

Boogie Munster
11-27-2015, 09:53 AM
They're two of the five oldest players in the NBA. Neither one is playing 82 games. You can plan their off days in ways to maximize the beneficial effects of the rest, or you can wait until their bodies break down and they miss games without warning.

Are they really in the top 5 oldest? And the level of basketball they are playing at their ages ??? Legends, tbh.

Mel_13
11-27-2015, 09:55 AM
Are they really in the top 5 oldest? And the level of basketball they are playing at their ages ??? Legends, tbh.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2016&year_max=2016&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&shoot_hand=&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&birth_state=&college_id=&draft_year=&is_active=&debut_yr_nba_start=&debut_yr_nba_end=&debut_yr_aba_start=&debut_yr_aba_end=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&award=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=age

Warlord23
11-27-2015, 10:18 AM
Good opportunity for West, Boban, Anderson, Simmons, Butler etc to get into a rhythm. We need our bench to become a well-oiled unit that can eat up more regular season minutes and save our older starters' legs

spursistan
11-27-2015, 10:39 AM
We need Diaw to pick up the slack with bench..he has been completely non-factor since the Blazers game..I don't think he even scored the past two..

ThaBigFundamental21
11-27-2015, 10:56 AM
Bummer! We spent $250 on two tickets for the game. We love seeing Timmy and Manu. It will still be fun, but not special. I'm glad the kids are staying home for this one.

Spurs 4 The Win
11-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Bummer! We spent $250 on two tickets for the game. We love seeing Timmy and Manu. It will still be fun, but not special. I'm glad the kids are staying home for this one.

They probably heard you were coming and decided to bail lol

ThaBigFundamental21
11-27-2015, 11:06 AM
They probably heard you were coming and decided to bail lol

With my luck lol

TXstbobcat
11-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Have a great time at the game tonight!

I just purchased tickets this morning during he 40% off black friday sale for the 2 spurs games up here in Minneapolis. Yesterday I also bought tickets for the spurs game in Milwaukee in January.

spursistan
11-27-2015, 11:58 AM
sorry about that..but you can still get LMA and Kawhi..this is not a total punt game by Pop :lol

spurraider21
11-27-2015, 12:37 PM
Just a ploy to force LMA to be assertive

kaji157
11-27-2015, 01:03 PM
Timmy and Manu didn't travel to Denver for the game tomorow. Looks like just for rest.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/1b/1b338818e097f664b83a31fd2d507cdbe6d96a50090dbb7a11 1a116c646b6aa0.jpg

sasaint
11-27-2015, 01:25 PM
It's the first of a B2B, and his load was NOT light on Wednesday. He played 28 minutes, which is normal.

Eventually (and very soon), we will be permanently without these two guys, so the Spurs need to know how to do that.

I didn't check the box score, and I did not realize Tim put in 28. I hardly noticed him. Thought he played more like 18.

Personally, I expect that this will be Manu's last season, but I would not be surprised to see Tim play one more, and I hope he might be able to stretch it to 2 more seasons. Not that he is on the same legendary Spurs level, but Boris will also be gone very soon - probably this season. Consequently, I hope DWest will be around for another year or two beyond Boris. We do need to learn to play without Manu and Tim at some point, but it really only benefits us if the guys getting court time in their absence are guys who will be contributors once the legends move on. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that a few of our current young guys develop sufficiently to work themselves into rotation minutes. Despite the addition of LMA, I suspect fans will find the coming transition more emotionally jarring than the post-Admiral transition. The Denver game will be interesting to watch. I agree that we will see more of these type games without Manu and Tim before they retire. :flag:

kaji157
11-27-2015, 01:34 PM
I didn't check the box score, and I did not realize Tim put in 28. I hardly noticed him. Thought he played more like 18.

Personally, I expect that this will be Manu's last season, but I would not be surprised to see Tim play one more, and I hope he might be able to stretch it to 2 more seasons. Not that he is on the same legendary Spurs level, but Boris will also be gone very soon - probably this season. Consequently, I hope DWest will be around for another year or two beyond Boris. We do need to learn to play without Manu and Tim at some point, but it really only benefits us if the guys getting court time in their absence are guys who will be contributors once the legends move on. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that a few of our current young guys develop sufficiently to work themselves into rotation minutes. Despite the addition of LMA, I suspect fans will find the coming transition more emotionally jarring than the post-Admiral transition. The Denver game will be interesting to watch. I agree that we will see more of these type games without Manu and Tim before they retire. :flag:

Considering what happened this offseason and how openly Tim and Manu talked about having each other to play with i would think that both will play one more season.

Unless:

A) We win the championship and either of them wants to retire (or both).

B) Manu wants to play at RIO Olympics with Argentina so the Spurs ask him not to come back after that.

C) Manu wants to retire for good at RIO Olympics.

Spurs 4 The Win
11-27-2015, 01:36 PM

Why would Boris be gone?

SAGirl
11-27-2015, 02:18 PM
I have come to not assume anything about our old legends, even when we know any season now could be the last. I think if either hits a long stretch where they just don't have it (on Kobe levels), whenever that happens will be it. It could be supremely jarring, since Tim said he'll play and if at some point he hits a low point like that and he can't play anymore, he'll retire and that will be it. :depressedThey enjoy playing for each other, but once your game is fully gone, it's gone.

On a thanksgiving note, lets be thankful neither of them looks done, and enjoy the new look Spurs.

I am not sure about Boris. His mentoring of Anderson could be valuable, hence keeping him at a discount past this season would be nice. I won't assume he's gone, but his role might change, and knowing Boris, he probably doesn't care at all to be the featured guy in the bench.

sasaint
11-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Why would Boris be gone?

To my eyes Boris is slipping (maybe just slumping) plus he is "an elder statesman", too. Just seems likely to me - this season or next.

Spurs 4 The Win
11-27-2015, 02:22 PM
To my eyes Boris is slipping (maybe just slumping) plus he is "an elder statesman", too. Just seems likely to me - this season or next.

Eh, I think he still has at least one more good season left in him after this. He always starts the year slow and he hasnt really been that bad this year, his passing makes our bench go.

ElNono
11-27-2015, 02:23 PM
some German poster called in last game's game thread, tbh

sasaint
11-27-2015, 02:29 PM
Considering what happened this offseason and how openly Tim and Manu talked about having each other to play with i would think that both will play one more season.

Unless:

A) We win the championship and either of them wants to retire (or both).

B) Manu wants to play at RIO Olympics with Argentina so the Spurs ask him not to come back after that.

C) Manu wants to retire for good at RIO Olympics.

Good points, but even with the sentiments they expressed last summer, I believe that Timmy was "In", but Manu has expressed the sentiment that he really had to be convinced that the team needed him. Hey, Manu's game continues to be more high-energy than Tim's. I, of course, am just speculating, but I could see Tim's game enabling him to play a year or two more than Manu's will permit. Physical demands aside, it probably depends more on Tim's desire, which only Tim will know. Either way whenever one or the other retires, it will be the end of an era. When they are both gone it will be the end of an epoch.

SAGirl
11-27-2015, 02:35 PM
Watch Boris and Anderson at the end of this:

http://www.gfycat.com/IllfatedReflectingAnteater

(Thanks for the gif Anteater)

:bobo Boris what a cool cat!

sasaint
11-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Eh, I think he still has at least one more good season left in him after this. He always starts the year slow and he hasnt really been that bad this year, his passing makes our bench go.

Heck, he may want to play as long as Tony plays. In the Top 5 thread, I listed him among my favorite Spurs and called him the Swiss Army Knife of the team. He finds ways to contribute that nobody else can. I wish he would regain his confidence and his stroke from the 3, but even without that I love his game, I just see some decline and wonder. Plus, how much does Pop want him beyond this season? I don't know. I think he does have one more year on his current contract, so we probably will have him through next season unless he decides to hang it up.

sasaint
11-27-2015, 02:40 PM

Interesting interaction. Passing the torch?

SAGirl
11-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Boris is just such a cool guy.

If Anderson turns out a career like him, we can only wish. Boris is not a star by NBA levels, but he has a complete game and makes any lineup come alive. I really think Boris will be valuable if the Spurs remain vested in Anderson's development.

Heck we still have Bonner in the bench lol

sasaint
11-27-2015, 03:01 PM
Boris is just such a cool guy.

If Anderson turns out a career like him, we can only wish. Boris is not a star by NBA levels, but he has a complete game and makes any lineup come alive. I really think Boris will be valuable if the Spurs remain vested in Anderson's development.

Heck we still have Bonner in the bench lol

Most of us fans have no clue about the individual interactions of team members. That personalized hug/back slap between Boris and Kyle seems to provide a rare glimpse. Perhaps Boris does mentor Kyle more than we suspect. For that matter, I don't know how much individual mentoring between players actually goes on. I assume some, but I don't know how much. I hope that Manu is also mentoring Simmons. But getting back to the clip, it does seem to show a level of personal involvement between Boris and Kyle that we just would not otherwise see.

ceperez
11-27-2015, 03:38 PM
Two older guys who considered retiring to spend more time with their families, don't have to travel on Thanksgiving and get to spend more time with them.

:toast

I guess those are benefits you get when you take a massive pay cut! West must be wondering why he didn't get the same perk.

TD 21
11-27-2015, 04:07 PM
Probably should just sit Parker, too.

Normally, they'd do this on the second night of a back to back, but because this is a road-home set and the start of five in seven, I'm not surprised.

Speaking of which, the fifth game at the end of this stretch is on TNT. I know they have a flex schedule this season, but still; they never learn.

Games like this are where the lack of a shooting/scoring wing off the bench will be felt most (next to an injury to one of the top three, of course). Given the Nuggets' lack of size at SG, McCallum should play backup SG.

Mr Bones
11-27-2015, 04:13 PM
Good call, Pop, giving the old guys some rest.

Kawhitstorm
11-27-2015, 05:15 PM
Nostradamus: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254568&page=28&p=8289223#post8289223

Ron Swanson
11-27-2015, 05:44 PM
DNP: Old

SAGirl
11-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Most of us fans have no clue about the individual interactions of team members. That personalized hug/back slap between Boris and Kyle seems to provide a rare glimpse. Perhaps Boris does mentor Kyle more than we suspect. For that matter, I don't know how much individual mentoring between players actually goes on. I assume some, but I don't know how much. I hope that Manu is also mentoring Simmons. But getting back to the clip, it does seem to show a level of personal involvement between Boris and Kyle that we just would not otherwise see.

I would not personally know of course, but there is always this narrative about young players needing veterans in the locker room to show them how to win. I think from NCAA to NBA there is a huge level of adjustment, and many young players obviously don't make the leap, but those that do (roleplayers, not talking about the top draft/supremely talented guys) need to learn a new game, adapt their games, in Kyle's case learning a new position. It's a whole lot for young players, once you get to the NBA it is a different game. Many or most find whatever they were doing before won't work in exactly the same way.

To have someone there who plays a similar game to the game you have and was successful doing that is inspirational to a young player. For everyone that tells you, you are too slow or what not, there is Boris there doing his thing at 33 and doughy. :lol

There is probably more to that, I remember reading Pop took Kawhi to meet Scottie Pippen in his second year in the league, when they played Chicago. It seems to me that young players need a mentor. Pop has always mentioned how he wanted Kidd to allegedly mentor Tony. For whatever reason, the mentoring thing between vets and young players always comes up.

Boris at Kyle's first game with the dleague last season:
https://www.instagram.com/p/vwl64FDI9D/

sasaint
11-27-2015, 06:17 PM
I would not personally know of course, but there is always this narrative about young players needing veterans in the locker room to show them how to win. I think from NCAA to NBA there is a huge level of adjustment, and many young players obviously don't make the leap, but those that do (roleplayers, not talking about the top draft/supremely talented guys) need to learn a new game, adapt their games, in Kyle's case learning a new position. It's a whole lot for young players, once you get to the NBA it is a different game. Many or most find whatever they were doing before won't work in exactly the same way.

To have someone there who plays a similar game to the game you have and was successful doing that is inspirational to a young player. For everyone that tells you, you are too slow or what not, there is Boris there doing his thing at 33 and doughy. :lol

There is probably more to that, I remember reading Pop took Kawhi to meet Scottie Pippen in his second year in the league, when they played Chicago. It seems to me that young players need a mentor. Pop has always mentioned how he wanted Kidd to allegedly mentor Tony. For whatever reason, the mentoring thing between vets and young players always comes up.

Boris at Kyle's first game with the dleague last season:
https://www.instagram.com/p/vwl64FDI9D/

Thanks for the very cool pic. You obviously have a great deal more knowledge of personal aspects of Spurs' relationships than I. All that you said is kind of what I expect is the case, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

hater
11-27-2015, 06:18 PM
Should win but expect another close one.

And they will be both injured in a brawl

Uriel
11-28-2015, 09:29 AM
Better to rest our seniors and MAYBE drop a game or two than to have them go into the playoffs dragging ass. Fail.
Of course that's true. But last season, one game was the difference between the 2 seed and a potential trip to the WCF, and a 6 seed and a first round exit to the Clippers. I'm not saying we shouldn't rest our seniors (it obviously worked out for us today); I'm merely calling attention to the fact that these games matter in the long run.

exstatic
11-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Of course that's true. But last season, one game was the difference between the 2 seed and a potential trip to the WCF, and a 6 seed and a first round exit to the Clippers. I'm not saying we shouldn't rest our seniors (it obviously worked out for us today); I'm merely calling attention to the fact that these games matter in the long run.

The NBA has closed that loophole. If the exact same scenario unfolds this year, we could never drop to 6th again. We also were not healthy. Splitter was an animated corpse in the LAC series.

Kikoluna
11-28-2015, 10:24 AM
Lol. I hope kyle is waived by March tbh

BillMc
11-28-2015, 10:35 AM

Boris is definitely one of the coolest.

I like Timmy with the humorously over-formal handshake with Patty in that gif.

exstatic
11-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Lol. I hope kyle is waived by March tbh

They've already picked up his guaranteed option for next season, so I'm elated to report that your hopes have been cruelly dashed. :lol

spursistan
11-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Even guys who played didn't log too many mins..Kawhi put up the near 5*5 in 32 mins, Parker 25 mins, and LMA just 18..We should be fine against Atlanta who played last night..

I would rest both Manu/Duncan at home vs the slumping Bucks next Wed and play them @Grizzlies the day after or split it....

sasaint
11-28-2015, 12:30 PM
Even guys who played didn't log too many mins..Kawhi put up the near 5*5 in 32 mins, Parker 25 mins, and LMA just 18..We should be fine against Atlanta who played last night..

I would rest both Manu/Duncan at home vs the slumping Bucks next Wed and play them @Grizzlies the day after or split it....

Yep, the Denver game was surprisingly easy. Very glad the big guns we took didn't have to play extended minutes, and also very glad some of the young guns did get more time, which they really maximized. Great outing.

Your Bucks/Grizz scenario makes good sense.

ThaBigFundamental21
11-28-2015, 04:37 PM
Have a great time at the game tonight!

I just purchased tickets this morning during he 40% off black friday sale for the 2 spurs games up here in Minneapolis. Yesterday I also bought tickets for the spurs game in Milwaukee in January.

Thank you! And same to you during your upcoming games. Last night was a blast. Every year more and more Spurs fans are invading the Pepsi Center. It must suck to be a Nuggets fan right now. The game was pretty full too, outside of the upper levels.

Drom John
11-29-2015, 12:33 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=totals&per_minute_base=36&per_poss_base=100&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2016&year_max=2016&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&shoot_hand=&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&birth_state=&college_id=&draft_year=&is_active=&debut_yr_nba_start=&debut_yr_nba_end=&debut_yr_aba_start=&debut_yr_aba_end=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&award=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=age

An unimportant correction since B-R is putting players with same year age in alphabetical order.
Duncan is still second oldest, but Andre Miller is the oldest by a month.
Ginobili drops to 6th oldest behind Pablo Prigioni.