Blue Duck
11-28-2015, 10:37 PM
Great pickup. .......more minutes please

ducks
11-28-2015, 10:47 PM
He will replace Manu when he retires

steeledl
11-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Dude has huge potential. He is going to have bad games here and there..... but his potential makes him worth the growing pains. I hope he continues to grow and works on his shot with chip. He is dynamic.

spursparker9
11-28-2015, 10:57 PM
He can pass and get to the rim easily tbh

bic50
11-28-2015, 10:57 PM
Simmons is going to get better with more minutes.

SpursFan86
11-28-2015, 10:59 PM
Been nice to see him show some of that potential we saw in the SL...hopefully he continues to make use of the limited PT he gets this year, and then becomes a legitimate rotation player next year :tu

SAGirl
11-28-2015, 11:02 PM
Been nice to see him show some of that potential we saw in the SL...hopefully he continues to make use of the limited PT he gets this year, and then becomes a legitimate rotation player next year :tu
This is very likely to happen. Also glad that he can really help in times of need this year, if someone is out resting or God Forbid injuries.
Very nice.

cjw
11-28-2015, 11:04 PM
Sean made the point tonight it's important to build 20+ point leads with 7-8 to go in the fourth, which lets Pop give the starters lots of rest and the third unit guys serious burn. That's the only way to give Simmons time to develop (as well as Ray and Boban) and keeps Butler fresh. Anderson has more rotation minutes already carved out.

That drive and kick by Simmons was a thing of beauty. The mistakes will work themselves out with more game time.

I know this isn't about Anderson, but loved his effort on D and communication. Got burned a couple of times - it's the NBA, so it happens - but has active hands.

steeledl
11-28-2015, 11:08 PM

It is early but and Pop doesn't like to play rookies but due to Andersons many limitations I could see Pops hand being forced here and him taking Andersons minutes by the end of the year.

SAGirl
11-28-2015, 11:19 PM
Sean made the point tonight it's important to build 20+ point leads with 7-8 to go in the fourth, which lets Pop give the starters lots of rest and the third unit guys serious burn. That's the only way to give Simmons time to develop (as well as Ray and Boban) and keeps Butler fresh. Anderson has more rotation minutes already carved out.

That drive and kick by Simmons was a thing of beauty. The mistakes will work themselves out with more game time.

I know this isn't about Anderson, but loved his effort on D and communication. Got burned a couple of times - it's the NBA, so it happens - but has active hands.

Anderson is very much a team player. I liked how in the garbage time he kept giving the ball to Simmons and motivating him. Since Simmons' opportunities are more limited than his own, he wasn't calling his own number or shit like that.

SAGirl
11-28-2015, 11:21 PM
It is early but and Pop doesn't like to play rookies but due to Andersons many limitations I could see Pops hand being forced here and him taking Andersons minutes by the end of the year.
They don't really play the same position sport!

Seventyniner
11-28-2015, 11:29 PM
Simmons is a high variance player like Manu. His ceiling is pretty high so it's easy to be excited about his future, but he can go through some destructive (in a bad way) lows.

TMTTRIO
11-28-2015, 11:56 PM
Wouldn't mind giving him a lot of Manu's minutes this year and sitting Manu out a lot.

spurtech09
11-29-2015, 12:17 AM
Simmons starting to get his mojo.....

BackHome
11-29-2015, 02:01 AM
Nice to see Anderson and Simmons bringing what they showed in the D League to the NBA. So far have liked both though Simmons has more potential I think Anderson is starting to carve out some playing time it will be interesting to see how they both develop.

ceperez
11-29-2015, 02:56 AM
Simmons needs to absolutely develop this year. Spurs will need a team that plays small ball well.

Spurtacular
11-29-2015, 05:49 AM
Dude has huge potential. He is going to have bad games here and there..... but his potential makes him worth the growing pains. I hope he continues to grow and works on his shot with chip. He is dynamic.

My prediction of his demise may have been premature. Still, I can't think ST is generally over optimistic about this guy. I mean, we have people saying he'll replace Manu and stuff like that. :lol

Othyus Lalanne
11-29-2015, 04:51 PM
My prediction of his demise may have been premature. Still, I can't think ST is generally over optimistic about this guy. I mean, we have people saying he'll replace Manu and stuff like that. :lol

His last notable preseason defensive play where he went after the dribbler behind him was thing of beauty. I was so angry it was a foul.

RayTdropout
11-29-2015, 05:55 PM
This guy has been a bum and needs to step up his game

ceperez
11-29-2015, 05:59 PM

Dude, Manu is retiring. Spurs will need a replacement and that's what most posters are implying. Nobody is saying he'll be as good as Manu. What people are saying that he's one of the better slashers in the team.

steeledl
11-29-2015, 06:01 PM
This guy has been a bum and needs to step up his game

lmfao shit post

HarlemHeat37
11-29-2015, 06:03 PM
He's way too undisciplined and erratic to get minutes in real games, this year, but hopefully he gets enough experience that could make him a rotation player for next year, tbh..

skulls138
11-29-2015, 06:09 PM
He's way too undisciplined and erratic to get minutes in real games, this year, but hopefully he gets enough experience that could make him a rotation player for next year, tbh..Hes erratic because hes desperate to show what hes got in the few minutes hes given. He'll have to deal with that because thats all hes getting this year but just saying that that is a major reason I think for any erratic play not necessarily who he is. I think thats true for any player.

ElNono
11-29-2015, 06:52 PM
He's at the tail end of the bench, and that's fine... Pop will make sure he gets over himself. Eventually, when Manu rests, he'll get time with quality players around him and hopefully he can show his game.

He'll likely also get some minutes when the team either wins or loses big, but it's difficult to get a good look playing with other third teamers...

adonis827
11-29-2015, 11:47 PM
Simmons is 25 and Kyle 21. Someone here mentioned Simmons having more potential than Kyle?

steeledl
11-29-2015, 11:52 PM
Simmons is 25 and Kyle 21. Someone here mentioned Simmons having more potential than Kyle?

Yes... he has talent. By default, he has more potential.

Nathan89
11-30-2015, 12:08 AM
Yes... he has talent. By default, he has more potential.

And athleticism. Quick! Think of all the non-athletic players in the league you want the spurs to acquire.

DMC
11-30-2015, 12:11 AM
He's a scrub. You fuckers always go ga ga over scrubs when they put on a Spurs jersey.

Othyus Lalanne
11-30-2015, 02:29 AM
He's a scrub. You fuckers always go ga ga over scrubs when they put on a Spurs jersey.

They would not be Spurs scrubs unless they would have porential.

T Park
11-30-2015, 03:54 AM
And athleticism. Quick! Think of all the non-athletic players in the league you want the spurs to acquire.

I wouldn't turn away Brook Lopez

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-30-2015, 09:25 AM
Simmons is the most athletic player on the team. He has a lot of potential. He just wasn't use to the speed of the game in the NBA and it showed in the preseason. Even on Friday he had a lot of Turnovers. But those should go down once he learns to pass off his penetration when teams collapse on him.

Honestly, he can beat pretty much almost any player in the NBA off the dribble, that is how quick, strong and athletic he is. Problem is, in the NBA, the help defense is much quicker than the D league and SL. He is just needs to learn to locate the open man earlier on his drives.

He will definitely replace Manu as the Spurs 6th man. But like I said, he just didn't have the same experience as Manu when he first came to the Spurs. So Simmons is more of a WIP at this point and needs the experience. Saw a vast improvement on Firday, despite the TOs.

ceperez
11-30-2015, 09:31 AM
Simmons is the most athletic player on the team. He has a lot of potential. He just wasn't use to the speed of the game in the NBA and it showed in the preseason. Even on Friday he had a lot of Turnovers. But those should go down once he learns to pass off his penetration when teams collapse on him.

Honestly, he can beat pretty much almost any player in the NBA off the dribble, that is how quick, strong and athletic he is. Problem is, in the NBA, the help defense is much quicker than the D league and SL. He is just needs to learn to locate the open man earlier on his drives.

He will definitely replace Manu as the Spurs 6th man. But like I said, he just didn't have the same experience as Manu when he first came to the Spurs. So Simmons is more of a WIP at this point and needs the experience. Saw a vast improvement on Firday, despite the TOs.

I agree that he has the speed and athleticism that'll be any other NBA in an individual situation. That is the key though. In the last game he was able to score when someone like Leonard got doubled team. In short, if there's just one player defending him, he can finish with a high percentage. He can make a good living just cutting to the basket and receiving a pass in the process. What won't work for him is the kind of plays in D-league where he just beats his man off the dribble. That's kind of play is where his turnovers are coming from. He just isn't used to the quickness and skill of NBA players.

DMC
11-30-2015, 12:27 PM
They would not be Spurs scrubs unless they would have porential.

They come and go just like on every other team.

GSH
11-30-2015, 12:31 PM
He is showing some signs of why the Spurs kept him around, after playing like total dog shit in the preseason. Reading more than that into what he's done is just silly.

In other words, he's like every other player in the D-League. And that's why most of them never spend a minute in the NBA. Definitely replace Manu? If he did, your head would explode, and you would be one of the first to call for Pop to be fired.

BTW - nobody gave that experience to Manu, before he came to the Spurs. He got that experience because he was better at 18 years old than Simmons is right now. That's just a fact.

bic50
11-30-2015, 12:36 PM
I really hope he can continue to play more. His athleticism is something the spurs lack, he just plays out of control sometimes. It might sound crazy but I can also see him doing a decent job defensively on westbrook.

ChumpDumper
11-30-2015, 12:38 PM
I really hope he can continue to play more. His athleticism is something the spurs lack, he just plays out of control sometimes. It might sound crazy but I can also see him doing a decent job defensively on westbrook.His best defensive play in preseason was completely denying Harden the ball for a huge chunk of the shot clock. I think he was kept on almost solely for that sequence.

TrainOfThought5
11-30-2015, 12:45 PM
I love Simmons. But to think he'll replace Manu??? Wow. Thats some serious optimism.

ChumpDumper
11-30-2015, 12:47 PM
I love Simmons. But to think he'll replace Manu??? Wow. Thats some serious optimism.

More Manu's role than Manu himself.

GSH
11-30-2015, 01:00 PM
More Manu's role than Manu himself.

I'm kind of surprised to hear that from you. Manu's role is a first-off-the bench kind of guy, and a finisher. I figured Simmons was being looked at as sort of a safety-valve. Someone they could afford to keep and develop in case of an injury.

So you really think Simmons has the juice to play a Manu kind of role in the future? I know you see a lot more of these guys. I haven't seen much in him other than what I see in a lot of D-League guys. But I trust your take, if serious.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
11-30-2015, 01:03 PM
He is showing some signs of why the Spurs kept him around, after playing like total dog shit in the preseason. Reading more than that into what he's done is just silly.

In other words, he's like every other player in the D-League. And that's why most of them never spend a minute in the NBA. Definitely replace Manu? If he did, your head would explode, and you would be one of the first to call for Pop to be fired.

BTW - nobody gave that experience to Manu, before he came to the Spurs. He got that experience because he was better at 18 years old than Simmons is right now. That's just a fact.

Nobody will ever replace Manu. Spurs would be hard press to have another Manu on this team ever again at SG. Manu will be in the Basketball HOF. Not saying Simmons will ever be Manu. But Simmons should fit the bill as a traditional 6th man, a player that can come in a provide a spark with his speed and athleticism. Manu is going to retire someday. And Simmons at least showed flashes of his potential as Manu's future replacement at the guard position coming off the bench.

His defensive rotations were better. His passing was better. His finishing at the rim was better. He was noticeably better than the horrendous preseason performance he put together. Still had mistakes, but those will be fewer hopefully as he progresses.

ChumpDumper
11-30-2015, 01:08 PM
I'm kind of surprised to hear that from you. Manu's role is a first-off-the bench kind of guy, and a finisher. I figured Simmons was being looked at as sort of a safety-valve. Someone they could afford to keep and develop in case of an injury.

So you really think Simmons has the juice to play a Manu kind of role in the future? I know you see a lot more of these guys. I haven't seen much in him other than what I see in a lot of D-League guys. But I trust your take, if serious.This is the hope, however faint. No one is saying it's a lock, but no one else's game really resembles Manu's on this team. Having a guy with some potential who is and has been willing to put up with the development process for peanuts is all the Spurs can realistically hope for. We can wish he was younger but he's here now. The Spurs have to expect Manu to retire after this season. I'm sure they will try to mitigate the loss through free agency, but they want to do something in the meantime, too.

Othyus Lalanne
11-30-2015, 01:21 PM
They come and go just like on every other team.

Potential does not man it will be realized.

SnakeBoy
11-30-2015, 01:27 PM
Spurs development staff will turn Simmons into a marginal NBA player.

ceperez
11-30-2015, 01:32 PM

So you really think Simmons has the juice to play a Manu kind of role in the future? I know you see a lot more of these guys. I haven't seen much in him other than what I see in a lot of D-League guys. But I trust your take, if serious.

He's athletically better than Manu. He's got some good passing instincts but not likely he'll be anything like Manu. He can finish with either hand, that's better than almost every other player in the Spurs roster. He also knows how to slash using different angles. Most other players can't see the angles and only do so in a way they are comfortable with. In summary, his athleticism and natural feel for the game gives him a lot of potential. The downside is that he's 26 years old and likely hasn't received a lot of good basketball instruction. His basketball IQ isn't also at the level of Manu or Boris. I would say that its slightly above Danny Green.

Simmons will prove extremely valuable in guarding many of the quickest guards in the league. He isn't as long as Green, but at above 6'4" he has decent size.

GSH
11-30-2015, 01:35 PM
Damn I love it when a basketball discussion breaks out.

We should all do this again sometime.

bic50
11-30-2015, 01:48 PM
His best defensive play in preseason was completely denying Harden the ball for a huge chunk of the shot clock. I think he was kept on almost solely for that sequence.

True. He's the only one I see on the roster that doesn't have significant disadvantages against a player like westbrook. Doesn't give up size or athleticism.

GSH
11-30-2015, 02:14 PM
The last time I remember getting excited about one of these deep-bench project guys was Garrett Temple. The prospect of a 6'6" PG was just too much to resist. And he showed "flashes" of being good. I let myself see what I wanted him to be more than what he really was.

Quin Snyder liked him enough I Austin to talk about bringing him to Utah. He's gotten a bunch of D-League call ups. And he got what? a 2-year contract from the Wizards? I wish I was that good. But Temple isn't changing the fortunes of the Wizards in any noticeable way. And that was sort of my assessment of what to expect from Simmons. But if he does turn into much more than that, it will be yet another example of the Spurs' knack for recognizing and developing diamonds in the rough. Hopefully I will be the one to come back and say, "Holy shit, I really missed that one."

I will say this: Spurs' fans are spoiled, and have really high expectations. So far, this kid is all about potential - not the kind of optimism and certainty I'm hearing. If he fails to turn into Manu II, some of you will be the first ones to turn on him, and question why he's even on the floor. Right now a lot of you are basing your optimism on improvement over how he was playing, and not on how good he is playing. Been there, done that with Temple.

ceperez
11-30-2015, 02:26 PM
The last time I remember getting excited about one of these deep-bench project guys was Garrett Temple. The prospect of a 6'6" PG was just too much to resist. And he showed "flashes" of being good. I let myself see what I wanted him to be more than what he really was.

Quin Snyder liked him enough I Austin to talk about bringing him to Utah. He's gotten a bunch of D-League call ups. And he got what? a 2-year contract from the Wizards? I wish I was that good. But Temple isn't changing the fortunes of the Wizards in any noticeable way. And that was sort of my assessment of what to expect from Simmons. But if he does turn into much more than that, it will be yet another example of the Spurs' knack for recognizing and developing diamonds in the rough. Hopefully I will be the one to come back and say, "Holy shit, I really missed that one."

I will say this: Spurs' fans are spoiled, and have really high expectations. So far, this kid is all about potential - not the kind of optimism and certainty I'm hearing. If he fails to turn into Manu II, some of you will be the first ones to turn on him, and question why he's even on the floor. Right now a lot of you are basing your optimism on improvement over how he was playing, and not on how good he is playing. Been there, done that with Temple.

I remember Temple, he always played under control. He obviously was a decent role player, and that is exactly what he has become with the Wizards. However, Temple never had elite athleticism or elite anything. Was he the type of player that would make a difference come playoff time. I never saw that in him.

Now as for Simmons, I think he may be able to contribute come playoff time. Who other than Green or Leonard can keep up with the elite guards in the league? Simmons is big enough and quick enough to cover someone like Chris Paul and give him fits. If he works on just denying Paul the ball, the few seconds lost will be enough to derail the Clippers offense.

still.focused
11-30-2015, 02:43 PM
He needs to work on the left hand dribble
He doesnt even use the left hand dribble to setup the right hand drive
He just tries harder to go right

Good pickup none the less

ceperez
11-30-2015, 04:01 PM
Recent Spurs games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw3MKVru_II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9TiHdRuIkI

Seems to know how to finish in traffic.

bic50
11-30-2015, 05:00 PM
Recent Spurs games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9TiHdRuIkI

Seems to know how to finish in traffic.

At :30 even pop gives simmons that fist pump. He doesn't really do that often, must really see something in simmons.

DJR210
11-30-2015, 05:36 PM
Recent Spurs games:

Needs to start going to that spin move every game and see if it's working.. the separation he was able to create was :wow

SpursFan86
11-30-2015, 06:02 PM
Reminds me a bit of Lance Stephenson (2013/2014 Stephenson, not absolute garbage current Stephenson)

ceperez
11-30-2015, 06:19 PM
At :30 even pop gives simmons that fist pump. He doesn't really do that often, must really see something in simmons.

Hmmm... a reaction from Pop... that's means a lot!

SAGirl
11-30-2015, 06:38 PM
He has enough potential with the athleticism, explosiveness, and quickness to get excited about. That is all this is. Whether he puts it together with solid play can't be predicted at this point because he is older. He could be a late bloomer, or he could not. His dribble could be as good as its ever going to get or it could improve. His shooting could get better, or he could get to the point where his drives are stopped bc everyone sags off him. It's unknown.

What he more realistically can be is a solid role player who can play off others really well (all of his baskets in the Denver game were assisted, its not like he was there being a Manu clone, or getting his own shots with ease, lets be real). He has actually struggled when he has to improvise and create, that would be a role he would have to develop into, he's not there right now and because of his age, I have a lower ceiling for him.

IMO, when Manu retires, what he provided will not be replaced by a single player, it will require a team effort, and your 6th man may not necessarily be a SG.

I actually see more potential long term in Anderson, for different reasons. More skill, size and length to play as a stretch 4, changes the dynamic in the SL when he plays at that spot, provides playmaking from an unexpected spot, can create his own shot under duress, has elite ball handling and passing for someone of his size, has solid decision making already for a player that young and inexperienced, he is unlikely to play in a reckless way or make silly mistakes, and he has very good defensive instincts using his length and his size. He's the more unique prospect overall, but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that Simmons is super athletic and provides a dimension to the team that it has lacked so far.

SnakeBoy
11-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Yeah KA has a much higher ceiling.

I just don't see Simmons developing into much more than he is. He doesn't look to have a very good bb iq to me. I hope I'm wrong though, would love to see him become all that his fans think he will be.

DMC
11-30-2015, 09:48 PM

I liked Temple as well, but Pop thought he was immature for some reason. I saw him as a Danny Green type before Danny arrived.

TheGreatYacht
11-30-2015, 10:20 PM
Best SG at the moment.......

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-03-2015, 08:28 AM
Yeah KA has a much higher ceiling.

I just don't see Simmons developing into much more than he is. He doesn't look to have a very good bb iq to me. I hope I'm wrong though, would love to see him become all that his fans think he will be.

True. His basketball iq is not as High as Manu's or even Kawhi's, but its on par with what it takes to play the Spurs game.

Simmons has ELITE NBA athleticism, and yes I mean ELITE. He can take it to the hoop on almost anyone one-on-one. That makes up for his IQ not being as high as others. He is like Westbrook, but WB being probably THE most athletic player I have seen in the NBA over the past 15 years.

Simmons did awesome last night (and he put most of his points up against the Buck starters). 8 pts 1 rb 2 ast and ONLY 1 TURNOVER. I think as he gets more comfortable with his game, he can easily be a guy that avg. like 14-15 ppg off the bench for the Spurs. Spurs haven't had a player this athletic with a decent BB IQ until early Manu days.

Simmons has improved faster than I thought he would. I thought it would take him another month to start playing like he is. Pop must be individually going over the film with Simmons b/c you can see him noticeably not making the same mistakes from one game to the next. And his Defense rotations and closeouts have vastly improved over his preseason showing.

Simmons could be just another one of those guys that feel through the cracks like Green and SJax. Simmons/Butler is the reason Manu only had to play 11 minutes last night. Hopefully he continues his growth because he definitely is heads and shoulder above most other bench players in the NBA in terms of athleticism.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-03-2015, 08:34 AM

It seems like the coaches like him and he his a humble guy. I didn't notice Pop reaction. Like I mentioned in the above post, it really seems like Pop is working extra individually with Simmons because you can just see the improved in his game is such a short time. Screw Jimmer. I rather have Spurs develop this guy because he wants to be the best player he can be and is grateful just being on the Spurs at this point. Your typical Spurs guy.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/jonathon-simmons-scenic-route

ceperez
12-03-2015, 08:45 AM
True. His basketball iq is not as High as Manu's or even Kawhi's, but its on par with what it takes to play the Spurs game.

Simmons has ELITE NBA athleticism, and yes I mean ELITE. He can take it to the hoop on almost anyone one-on-one. That makes up for his IQ not being as high as others. He is like Westbrook, but WB being probably THE most athletic player I have seen in the NBA over the past 15 years.

Simmons did awesome last night (and he put most of his points up against the Buck starters). 8 pts 1 rb 2 ast and ONLY 1 TURNOVER. I think as he gets more comfortable with his game, he can easily be a guy that avg. like 14-15 ppg off the bench for the Spurs. Spurs haven't had a player this athletic with a decent BB IQ until early Manu days.

Simmons has improved faster than I thought he would. I thought it would take him another month to start playing like he is. Pop must be individually going over the film with Simmons b/c you can see him noticeably not making the same mistakes from one game to the next. And his Defense rotations and closeouts have vastly improved over his preseason showing.

Simmons could be just another one of those guys that feel through the cracks like Green and SJax. Simmons/Butler is the reason Manu only had to play 11 minutes last night. Hopefully he continues his growth because he definitely is heads and shoulder above most other bench players in the NBA in terms of athleticism.

I've been pretty high on Simmons because he's got three skills that go beyond just being super athletic.

(1) Finish in traffic with either hand.
(2) Make good passes in traffic.
(3) Attack the rim using different angles.

There are a lot of athletic players in the D-league, but you will find very few players with the kind of natural instinct as Simmons.

What Simmons lacks are the skills that Manu and Boris have, that is, know how to pass the ball other than in a straight line. Not many in the league have this skill set, so expecting Simmons to have it is asking too much.

http://giant.gfycat.com/RawNarrowEstuarinecrocodile.gif