PDA

View Full Version : Spurs can't seem to close games anymore...

TDfan2007
11-30-2015, 10:33 PM
This is a trend that started last season, but our guys have been making way too many mental mistakes in guts of close games. Not sure what the deal is. The Spurs used to be one of the best 4th quarter/clutch teams from 2012-2014.

Darius Bieber
11-30-2015, 10:33 PM
No surprise. Spurs have always seemed to choke game.

cd98
11-30-2015, 10:34 PM
Sky is falling.

benefactor
11-30-2015, 10:35 PM
These early season meltdowns are always a good time.

Amuseddaysleeper
Spurs are looking worse and worse in clutch moments. I don't know if they were out of timeouts of what but Kawhi should've called one with Butler draped all over him.

Pop is very frustrating at times.

aal04
We grind against EVERY team.

Then we go god mode for about 3 minutes every game for like a 15-3 run.

Sometimes we dont go god mode.

benefactor
Sky is falling.
Trade everyone tbh.

UNT Eagles 2016
11-30-2015, 10:36 PM
David Worst is a career playoff choker, that's all

cd98
11-30-2015, 10:40 PM
Really just a dumb foul by Manu late. It was there for the taking, but just that mental error. Gotta make Chicago score from the field.

ElNono
11-30-2015, 10:41 PM
People bitch that we win but we don't blow teams out (which automatically means we won close games). Then we lose a close game, and now we can't close anymore?

Cloud786
11-30-2015, 10:44 PM
We haven't been able to close games for awhile now. It's like every time the game is close, I know we are going to do some boneheaded thing to fuck it up. The bulls did not score a fucking field goal in the final 6:31 of the game and we still lost. This offense is pathetic right now. At this point, if the defense isn't playing at an all-time level, we will lose cuz our offense is beyond pathetic. Too much pressure on our defense to carry us every game.

sasaint
11-30-2015, 10:45 PM
This is a trend that started last season, but our guys have been making way too many mental mistakes in guts of close games. Not sure what the deal is. The Spurs used to be one of the best 4th quarter/clutch teams from 2012-2014.

I take it back to the Detroit finals in '05.

siraulo23
11-30-2015, 10:46 PM
duncan summed it up in one of the post game interview he had a week or two ago, this team doesnt have enough experience to close a game down the stretch

obviously its gonna get better further into the season, right now they just need more experience

DeRozan m8
11-30-2015, 10:47 PM
ummm....they closed one out in the clutch literally less than a week ago.

midnightpulp
11-30-2015, 10:48 PM
We're only averaging 24 points in the 4th, a mark that has been boosted by putting up big quarters on shitty teams. Our losses all seem to have the same narrative of losing the 4th by 8-10 points. Note: We take the least amount of FTs in the 4th in the NBA. Our clutch stats are better than average, though.

Might be a rotation thing or just an age thing, since 3 of our top 5 main rotation players are senior citizens or have a lot of miles (Parker). But I think my sometimes enemy TD21 has it right in that we need that additional SG who can drive, penetrate, etc. Hopefully Simmons comes along.

loveforthegame
11-30-2015, 10:49 PM
It's the mental errors that are frustrating. Not surprising this early in the season. I see no reason it won't turn around.

sasaint
11-30-2015, 10:49 PM
We haven't been able to close games for awhile now. It's like every time the game is close, I know we are going to do some boneheaded thing to fuck it up. The bulls did not score a fucking field goal in the final 6:31 of the game and we still lost. This offense is pathetic right now. At this point, if the defense isn't playing at an all-time level, we will lose cuz our offense is beyond pathetic. Too much pressure on our defense to carry us every game.

Yeah horrendous final 6. But our 3-point woes ALL game were what beat us. Even Kawhi missed a WIDE open trey in the first quarter.

11-30-2015, 10:50 PM
ummm....they closed one out in the clutch literally less than a week ago.This is Spurstalk, we have short memories

spurtech09
11-30-2015, 10:50 PM
what to do?

tholdren
11-30-2015, 10:51 PM
When was the last time spurs were a close out team?

TDfan2007
11-30-2015, 11:33 PM
We're only averaging 24 points in the 4th, a mark that has been boosted by putting up big quarters on shitty teams. Our losses all seem to have the same narrative of losing the 4th by 8-10 points. Note: We take the least amount of FTs in the 4th in the NBA. Our clutch stats are better than average, though.

Might be a rotation thing or just an age thing, since 3 of our top 5 main rotation players are senior citizens or have a lot of miles (Parker). But I think my sometimes enemy TD21 has it right in that we need that additional SG who can drive, penetrate, etc. Hopefully Simmons comes along.

Yeah, the problem has definitely been consistent late-game playmaking. Manu and Tony used to be our horses for that, but they can't do it consistently anymore.

TDfan2007
11-30-2015, 11:34 PM
These early season meltdowns are always a good time.

Not a meltdown, just pointing out a disturbing trend. I obviously don't expect us to win every game...

TD 21
12-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Not a meltdown, just pointing out a disturbing trend. I obviously don't expect us to win every game...

This board is filled with overly sensitive apologists, who have an affinity for group think and lack reading comprehension.

I've been harping on your point for a while now. This is especially true offensively, against any half decent team, on the road.

SupremeGuy
12-01-2015, 07:33 PM
Is this 2014 or what?

cjw
12-01-2015, 08:39 PM
Another way to look at it is:

- 13 of 14 wins by at least 8 points (Dallas game was only one that was a toss-up, and only the Boston game and maybe the Philly game had any doubt down the stretch)

- 3 of 4 losses (all losses on road) where the Spurs had a chance to tie or win game in waning moments. Only game that wasn't close was the New Orleans game, and that one was within 5 points until mid-fourth + Ryan Anderson played like Larry Bird.

- Had things bounced differently, the Spurs would be no worse than 13-5 but could be as lucky as 17-1.

The Warriors' games against these teams could have gone either way:
- Toronto - within one inside of a minute
- Brooklyn - Brook Lopez miss; overtime
- Utah last night
- Clippers (x2) - in particular the second one

Outside of game Spurs outright lost to the Pels, both teams have had the same number of games that came down to the final stretches. It sure is nice to have Steph Curry to lean on vs. the brain freeze that engulfs the Spurs in closing moments.

100%duncan
12-01-2015, 09:16 PM
We just seemed too dumb last game

1. Pop with that play
2. Manu with the foul
3. Timmy forcing shit up
4. Kawhi forcing that shit up
5. The team for not giving it to kawhi most of the 4th

Too many mental mistakes

Horry Hipcheck
12-01-2015, 09:39 PM

Having watched the Spurs consistently since Duncan was drafted, I can say this isn't a new trend. 2012-2014 was a span in which they were regularly dominating regular season opponents, but for most of the last two decades they've been a team that struggles in close games down the stretch. They've almost never had a go-to scorer that can handle pressure or a lock down defender that can make clutch plays. The Spurs win their games in the first 3 quarters or they struggle.

Solid D
12-01-2015, 10:59 PM
'Surprised the Spurs win any games, tbh.

Yuixafun
12-01-2015, 11:04 PM
It's not that they can't...

It's just they don't know how to do it with this team yet.

They have more versatility in the closing than they did last year though.

TheGreatYacht
12-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Pop's shit play calling. It's not always the players' fault. That KawhISO Pop drew up against Chicago was awful. At least a screen would've gotten him a little bit more space.

Solid D
12-01-2015, 11:13 PM
:spam:

Spurs Peak After March

kjhip1
12-01-2015, 11:14 PM
I hate how the Spurs lose, don't deserve to be 1st in southwest division, 2nd in west, or 2nd in the nba standings. Smh

SpursforSix
12-01-2015, 11:17 PM

Spurs Peak After March

For real though. One of the best records in the NBA and they're not even close to playing to potential. Aldridge will continue to improve and get in the flow. As long as they stay healthy, they'll be a force by the end of the season.

TDfan2007
12-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Having watched the Spurs consistently since Duncan was drafted, I can say this isn't a new trend. 2012-2014 was a span in which they were regularly dominating regular season opponents, but for most of the last two decades they've been a team that struggles in close games down the stretch. They've almost never had a go-to scorer that can handle pressure or a lock down defender that can make clutch plays. The Spurs win their games in the first 3 quarters or they struggle.

Timmy was our closer until 05, then Manu took over, then Tony. Yes, the spurs choked games away in the past, but they won plenty of close ones too.

The Spurs overcame Tony's decline in 2014 with great execution, but what we'very seen since last season has been poor execution and mental mistakes in the clutch that are not characteristic of a veteran team.

BillMc
12-01-2015, 11:50 PM
People bitch that we win but we don't blow teams out (which automatically means we won close games). Then we lose a close game, and now we can't close anymore?

ElNono with the truth.

TrainOfThought5
12-01-2015, 11:53 PM

Spurs Peak After March

They didnt peak last year.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-02-2015, 03:12 AM

Pretty sure stats say the Spurs have had the best record in the NBA in close games over the 2011/14 span.

Last season they were average. Perhaps transitioning from Manu handling the ball to someone else isn't going that well, but I don't think you can draw the conclusion the Spurs don't win in the 4th. Spurs won 2 close games on the road against the Clippers in the playoffs.

weeks
12-02-2015, 04:40 AM
really? it feels like we've been closing out pretty well this season.

i love blowouts, but experience in tight games benefits this group. they'll stumble here and there, but i still expect them to make it happen every time.

GSH
12-02-2015, 08:40 AM
Spurs can't seem to close games anymore....

No surprise. Spurs have always seemed to choke game.

The Spurs have had some pretty fucking good teams over the years, wouldn't you agree? I mean, they have the best record of ANY team in ANY major sport over the last 15 years. This year they are off to their second best start in franchise history! (You fucking twits.)

The best record of any team in any major sport over a fifteen year span, and you're saying they can't finish games, and that they have a history of being chokers. So Who... the fuck... has been piling up all the wins for them all these years, when they've been choking? You're all pissing yourselves because Golden State is having a record start. But I guess you'll say that if the Spurs weren't such chokers, they would start 19-0 every season.

After taking a minute to think about it, don't you feel just a little bit stupid for that? You should feel a lot stupid, but I'll settle for a little bit.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Please, the Spurs are playing playoff caliber teams in Okc, Wiz, and Bulls. NO has been the Spurs Portland (late 00's and early 10's) of late, so no surprise they beat the Spurs. Remember, ALL THESE LOSES HAPPENED ON THE ROAD.

It was when the Spurs were losing games at Home last year that was difficult to swallow, against scrub teams no less. As I said, that game when the Spurs were up 7 with 50 seconds to go at home and lost to the Pistons in OT, I still remember that game. Difference between the 6th seed to a 2nd seed.

TheDoctor
12-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Another way to look at it is:

- 13 of 14 wins by at least 8 points (Dallas game was only one that was a toss-up, and only the Boston game and maybe the Philly game had any doubt down the stretch)

- 3 of 4 losses (all losses on road) where the Spurs had a chance to tie or win game in waning moments. Only game that wasn't close was the New Orleans game, and that one was within 5 points until mid-fourth + Ryan Anderson played like Larry Bird.

- Had things bounced differently, the Spurs would be no worse than 13-5 but could be as lucky as 17-1.

The Warriors' games against these teams could have gone either way:
- Toronto - within one inside of a minute
- Brooklyn - Brook Lopez miss; overtime
- Utah last night
- Clippers (x2) - in particular the second one

Outside of game Spurs outright lost to the Pels, both teams have had the same number of games that came down to the final stretches. It sure is nice to have Steph Curry to lean on vs. the brain freeze that engulfs the Spurs in closing moments.

Excellent reasoning :toast

Russ
12-02-2015, 09:05 AM
If you're 14-4 and you're losing the close games, you're really good.

TheDoctor
12-02-2015, 09:11 AM

They did peak after the Rodeo Road Trip. They got Kawhi back, everybody was more or less "healthy" and started to dominate, to crush teams, GSW included. For a stretch (Feb-March) they had the best Record (post All-Star break), best OffRtg and were number two in DeffRtg (or vice-versa). But then Tiago broke down (again), the team lost some its rhythm and NOLA happened.

NameLess Scrub
12-02-2015, 09:19 AM
We just seemed too dumb last game

1. Pop with that play
2. Manu with the foul
3. Timmy forcing shit up
4. Kawhi forcing that shit up
5. The team for not giving it to kawhi most of the 4th

Too many mental mistakes

Well this.. Maybe Aldridge needs to be added to #5

Keepin' it real
12-02-2015, 09:19 AM

Really? Go back and review their record (after February, not March). Spurs peaked going 19-4 in March and April to close out the regular season.

GSH
12-02-2015, 09:41 AM

They did peak after the Rodeo Road Trip. They got Kawhi back, everybody was more or less "healthy" and started to dominate, to crush teams, GSW included. For a stretch (Feb-March) they had the best Record (post All-Star break), best OffRtg and were number two in DeffRtg (or vice-versa). But then Tiago broke down (again), the team lost some its rhythm and NOLA happened.

Yeah, they peaked. They peaked at the right time. They had an 11 game winning streak at the end of the season. Then they lost a game. Spurfans were pissed because of what that did to the playoff seeding - I get it. But one game is not exactly a decline after a peak. (BTW - that 11 game losing streak to (almost) close the season? I think they won those games by an average margin of 18 points. Does that sound like a team that was out of rhythm?)

Anthony Davis had a good game. Guess what? He's good. Spurs took 13 FT's, Pelicans took 25. The Spurs shot .570 in that game, with Manu and Kawhi shooting a combined .333. What was missing from that game was defense. Every time the Spurs tried to defend, they drew a whistle. So they tried to make it a scoring contest, and they lost. They lost A game. That's basketball.

YGWHI
12-02-2015, 10:59 AM

But the good thing about the Warriors is they didn't seal the win with Curry's game-winning shots in all closing moments, they required great plays from other players not named Curry to close the games, like Iguodala desperation 3 pointer sot vs Nets, 116-115 vs Clippers and Dray made a layup...

We need those "other" guys, Green and our bench have to step up and do a good job.

Johnny RIngo
12-02-2015, 02:28 PM
SA's historic best two closers are near 40(TD and Manu). Parker and Aldridge are inefficient, choke artists in the post-season. Spurs only hope is Leonard but he's still very new at this first option gig. One of the reasons I'm not a fan of this new style offense since it depends heavily on the production of two guys(TP, LMA) who have made a career out of choking in the playoffs.

hooperflash
12-05-2015, 10:56 PM
Clutch FTs coming up.

DMC
12-05-2015, 11:01 PM
No team can close games. Teams go on runs and you hope you're the last one to have the biggest one at the end of regulation.

A win is a win.

ElNono
12-05-2015, 11:02 PM
so now we're back to the "Spurs can't blow out teams anymore" schtick? :lol

midnightpulp
12-05-2015, 11:03 PM
The 2nd half of the 4th quarter glitch strikes again.

I'm thinking it's a rotation thing. Pop seems to bring the starters into the game too late and they just look flat.

TDfan2007
12-05-2015, 11:26 PM
The 2nd half of the 4th quarter glitch strikes again.

I'm thinking it's a rotation thing. Pop seems to bring the starters into the game too late and they just look flat.

Agreed. He waited way too long to bring Timmy back tonight. I lover the offensive execution down the stretch though. We got great looks at the basket. The D w was atrocious though...