PDA

View Full Version : 2-14 from 3. Need to fix that

DarrinS
11-30-2015, 10:36 PM
We can't shoot Kobe-esque from 3 and expect to win.

ElNono
11-30-2015, 10:37 PM
We only have 2 natural 3 point shooters: Danny and Mills... the other two do more than that (Kawhi and Manu)...

Might end up being a weakness, tbh...

UNT Eagles 2016
11-30-2015, 10:38 PM
We only have 2 natural 3 point shooters: Danny and Mills... the other two do more than that (Kawhi and Manu)...

Might end up being a weakness, tbh...
What about Rasual? He needs to play more, tbh... wing rotation was looking winded out there. Anderson blows.

cd98
11-30-2015, 10:38 PM
Chicago D too.

Mikeanaro
11-30-2015, 10:39 PM
Our glorified Gay Ray is just a piece of shit, tbh.

ElNono
11-30-2015, 10:40 PM
What about Rasual? He needs to play more, tbh... wing rotation was looking winded out there. Anderson blows.

I like his D, but he's shooting 20% from 3 this season (small sample tho), and generally isn't known as a 3 point shooter, IMO...

Darius Bieber
11-30-2015, 10:42 PM
Spurs are 25th in 3 pointers made per game...

UNT Eagles 2016
11-30-2015, 10:43 PM
I like his D, but he's shooting 20% from 3 this season (small sample tho), and generally isn't known as a 3 point shooter, IMO...
Very small sample... and he's hit lots of 3s in his 30s. He's had seasons with 134, 140 and 145 made three pointers at a near .400 clip.

UNT Eagles 2016
11-30-2015, 10:43 PM
Spurs are 25th in 3 pointers made per game...
GSW are going to murder us

DarrinS
11-30-2015, 10:45 PM
So many passed up shots by DG, puts the ball on the floor instead, -- almost seems like he's been instructed to do this. He needs to just shoot, tbh

ElNono
11-30-2015, 10:46 PM
Very small sample... and he's hit lots of 3s in his 30s. He's had seasons with 134, 140 and 145 made three pointers at a near .400 clip.

well, he also shot 27% in Toronto in his 30s... that's the question with him, does he still has it?

UNT Eagles 2016
11-30-2015, 10:48 PM
well, he also shot 27% in Toronto in his 30s... that's the question with him, does he still has it?
I'd still rather have him than Belinelli. With Belinelli yeah he'll make shots but give back more points than he makes with his swiss cheese defense.

ElNono
11-30-2015, 10:49 PM
I'd still rather have him than Belinelli. With Belinelli yeah he'll make shots but give back more points than he makes with his swiss cheese defense.

I prefer Belli, he's also a playmaker... but he's not here anymore. The question now is Butler or KA, who gets the minutes. And I think Pop plays it by ear depending on the matchups

UNT Eagles 2016
11-30-2015, 10:51 PM
I prefer Belli, he's also a playmaker... but he's not here anymore. The question now is Butler or KA, who gets the minutes. And I think Pop plays it by ear depending on the matchups
KA is like Gavin Escobar on offense and Brandon Carr on defense. Both may hold their ground but they're not going to make plays to make you better.

apalisoc_9
11-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Heres a tip to Danny...Stop fucking passing semi open shot because you want to dribble the ball.

Seriously, Chinook probably gave him crazy ideas that he will be an allstar if he expands his game...smdh.

ceperez
11-30-2015, 10:53 PM
Scored under 90 points. That isn't going to get it done.

midnightpulp
11-30-2015, 10:56 PM
Heres a tip to Danny...Stop fucking passing semi open shot because you want to dribble the ball.

Seriously, Chinook probably gave him crazy ideas that he will be an allstar if he expands his game...smdh.

Yeah, he needs to come to terms with not being a star and just accept his Bowen 2.0 role. Green was like 4th in RPM last year among SGs, so he should be happy that he is a "star" from a hardcore bball fan perspective. He doesn't need to be a scorer.

Nathan89
11-30-2015, 10:58 PM

There was a corner three this game he could've easily shot but he wanted to showcase his ball handling.

DeRozan m8
11-30-2015, 11:01 PM
Tonight would have been one of those games Beli would have been handy

apalisoc_9
11-30-2015, 11:09 PM
Yeah, he needs to come to terms with not being a star and just accept his Bowen 2.0 role. Green was like 4th in RPM last year among SGs, so he should be happy that he is a "star" from a hardcore bball fan perspective. He doesn't need to be a scorer.

To be fair though, i dont know if pop is telling him to do it but if he isnt, he is killing his team with his desire to expand his game. The thing is, hes actually going to score more if he just take three balls.

HarlemHeat37
11-30-2015, 11:11 PM
To be fair though, i dont know if pop is telling him to do it but if he isnt, he is killing his team with his desire to expand his game. The thing is, hes actually going to score more if he just take three balls.

Ya, I think everybody would rather have Green averaging 7 3-attempts per game, rather than the ugly floaters:lol

tholdren
11-30-2015, 11:13 PM
Ya, I think everybody would rather have Green averaging 7 3-attempts per game, rather than the ugly floaters:lol

Is that Colin powell?

DarrinS
11-30-2015, 11:23 PM

Yep. Lol at his off the glass floater.

SAGirl
12-01-2015, 12:36 AM

Rasual is only shooting 20%, and apparently the bad shooting stretch goes into last year as well. He's also a less versatile player than Anderson, and has looked poor the last few appearances that he's had bc all he does is just stand at the 3 pt. line Bonner-like, unlike Anderson, who tends to be more active off the ball, looking for an advantageous position, or setting screens.

Unlike Butler, Anderson is a young kid who may improve through the season (one can hope) and he has already helped us win some games. Having one bad game against the Bulls (all 5 short minutes of it) when the rest of the bench played very poorly does not indict him. Patty who is as pure of a shooter as you have only took two 3s all game. Anderson wasn't going to be open to shoot, and Pop only gives license to shoot semi-contested 3s to Patty and Danny, who have the quickest and surest release in the team.

In reality, I might have preferred Pop calling a play for Anderson or pushing him to be more aggressive against McDermott. I would have preferred to see him more aggressive, since McDermott is a poor defender and Anderson is very crafty drawing fouls or getting a shot over McDermott.

He just wasn't open at any point unless you specifically passed it to him to make a play.

I would not have mind at all if in a game like this Pop went to Simmons either. I would have thrown anyone McDermotts way to force him to play some D. He was resting guarding Anderson.

SAGirl
12-01-2015, 12:40 AM
I do prefer Danny to shoot, and if he must pass, two dribbles and move it. All his drives attempting to go the basket end up in pure luck. Either he gets lucky it goes in (less likely than not), or he finds someone (has improved finding teammates lets be honest), but he's also just as likely to have the ball poked away, make a bad pass, etc.

I think Pop would love if Danny evolved a bit, so he doesn't need Manu to close out games, but it turns out, you still need Manu to close out games, bc you can't rely on Danny.

DMC
12-01-2015, 12:59 AM
You're not going to fix the 3pt shooting of the team. You can fix the defense and turnovers, but the offense is what it is. Teams have bad nights from the arc. Even Stephen Curry has bad shooting nights from outside. When everyone does, it makes it hard to win. Still, the game was competitive.

jiggy_55
12-01-2015, 01:30 AM
I seriously wouldn't mind a trade that acquires Gary Neal or someone like that.. We desperately need more spacing and more 3 pt shooters.. We can't shoot the 3 well when Green and Mills and supposed to be your best shooters and one of them is struggling mightily this season.. What a disappointing start from Danny Green, is he ever gonna pick it up this season?

houston spurs fan
12-01-2015, 01:50 AM
KA is like Gavin Escobar on offense and Brandon Carr on defense. Both may hold their ground but they're not going to make plays to make you better.
Who? Is that a soccer reference?

ceperez
12-01-2015, 07:29 AM
I seriously wouldn't mind a trade that acquires Gary Neal or someone like that.. We desperately need more spacing and more 3 pt shooters.. We can't shoot the 3 well when Green and Mills and supposed to be your best shooters and one of them is struggling mightily this season.. What a disappointing start from Danny Green, is he ever gonna pick it up this season?

Gary Neal was available during free agency. I agree that having only one 3 point shooter on the court at a time isn't going to get you good looks.

Spurs aren't going to win this way. LMA and West need to be looking to take a 3.

Spurs have the lane clogged with midrange shooters, plus they lost a lot with Manu and Parker not being able to penetrate like they used to.

My prescription:

(1) LMA and West need to start spreading the floor by camping at the 3pt line instead of camping midrange.
(2) Simmons needs to develop so there is an additional slasher.
(3) Trade McCallum for an athletic SF/SG.

will_spurs
12-01-2015, 07:35 AM
We've lost Beli but there's no reason why the number of *attempts* should go down that drastically. And on top of that both Green and Mills play like crap offensively this year. Green and Mills used to be able to shoot 3s, Manu and Kawhi as well, even Parker has had some success with the corner 3.

It seems like something that Pop wants rather than a roster issue.

EDIT: the team 3P% is actually stable compared to last year @ 36% or so. But the attempts have gone down by almost 3.5 3PA/game. That's a 15% decline in 3P attempts. It must be by design.

From Downtown
12-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Green needs to stop putting the ball on the floor and just shoot
Patty has been quite streaky with his shots this year,especially in away games
BoBo also needs to stop passing open 3s
Manu is as cold as ice from 3 at the moment

cd021
12-01-2015, 08:43 AM

Based on net rtg, Beli was much more of an plus than a negative.

cd021
12-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Threes +FTs are an issue. Percentages are fine but attempts are way down. Only 19 3's attempted per game (6.9 3pt FGM per game) and 17.6 FTA that's last in the league. The top 5 leading scorers are only getting to the line a combined 14.5 times per game.

NameLess Scrub
12-01-2015, 09:06 AM
Maybe Danny is just tired of missing 3s, feels defenses have figured him out, and is trying to keep the defense honest.
His handles kill him though. I think he has the athleticism to finish at the rim.

In any case, he probably needs to cut them down and start shooting semi open shots with confidence like he was shooting 50%.

With all this, last night's game was completely winnable.
Spurs executed horribly the last minutes of the game, and put on a horrible last play.

DMC
12-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Threes +FTs are an issue. Percentages are fine but attempts are way down. Only 19 3's attempted per game (6.9 3pt FGM per game) and 17.6 FTA that's last in the league. The top 5 leading scorers are only getting to the line a combined 14.5 times per game.

Teams that move the ball well shouldn't have a lot of FTA unless they reach the bonus early. It's those teams who play the iso game, or where the PG attacks the rim on every play, those guys get a lot of FTA.

DMC
12-01-2015, 09:09 AM
We've lost Beli but there's no reason why the number of *attempts* should go down that drastically. And on top of that both Green and Mills play like crap offensively this year. Green and Mills used to be able to shoot 3s, Manu and Kawhi as well, even Parker has had some success with the corner 3.

EDIT: the team 3P% is actually stable compared to last year @ 36% or so. But the attempts have gone down by almost 3.5 3PA/game. That's a 15% decline in 3P attempts. It must be by design.

Probably because we aren't going to beat the Warriors at the 3pt line. Pop wants to slow it down (again).

will_spurs
12-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Probably because we aren't going to beat the Warriors at the 3pt line. Pop wants to slow it down (again).

That was my first impression as well.

ceperez
12-01-2015, 10:19 AM

I agree that Spurs aren't looking to take 3's this year. It does reflect on the number of attempts per game. 3.5 less is a lot, let's say you are at 30% then you basically are scoring 3 points less a game. That's enough to cover 3 of the loses that Spurs have had. That on a miserable 30% shooting clip.

Who knows if this is just an adjustment process, but those midrange jumpers... despite Aldridge at one stretch at near 100% wasn't creating a lead for the team.

spursistan
12-01-2015, 11:40 AM
We should be on the lookout for an instant gunner come trade deadline or off the waiver..We are going to need someone to plug in and hit the 3 when Mills/Green are off, Butler hasn't been the Neal/Belinelli type who could get you 10-13 pts on hot night..

ceperez
12-01-2015, 12:26 PM
We should be on the lookout for an instant gunner come trade deadline or off the waiver..We are going to need someone to plug in and hit the 3 when Mills/Green are off, Butler hasn't been the Neal/Belinelli type who could get you 10-13 pts on hot night..

I think the difference this season is that for whatever reason, the Spurs aren't trigger happy to shoot the 3.

Mr Bones
12-01-2015, 12:42 PM
I'd be perfectly happy with both LMA & Parker averaging 2 three point attempts per game... That wouldn't be drastic, but it would open up the floor. LMA is already shooting regularly from one or two steps inside the 3 point line-- stepping back a couple of times a game wouldn't hurt and both of those guys have the range to consistently shoot above 35% from there...

TD 21
12-01-2015, 07:31 PM

What are you talking about? Butler is known strictly as a three-point shooter. He's not an overly good one and given that he's been a terrible one from around mid season (last season) on, he may be done as one, but that's absolutely what he's known for.

Even if he were shooting it better, he's not the type they need though. As I've discussed ad nauseam, they need a Neal/Belinelli type. It's even more glaring when Ginobili doesn't have his legs or isn't playing.

That's the unfortunate thing about the limited offense: It's personnel, not chemistry, related. They're not built to excel in transition and they don't have players who get to the line at a high rate, but they've made up for it with knockdown three-point shooting and in recent years, an increase in pace, which obviously means more possessions. Now they don't have those two things to fall back on.

ElNono
12-01-2015, 07:41 PM
What are you talking about? Butler is known strictly as a three-point shooter. He's not an overly good one and given that he's been a terrible one from around mid season (last season) on, he may be done as one, but that's absolutely what he's known for.

Even if he were shooting it better, he's not the type they need though. As I've discussed ad nauseam, they need a Neal/Belinelli type. It's even more glaring when Ginobili doesn't have his legs or isn't playing.

That's the unfortunate thing about the limited offense: It's personnel, not chemistry, related. They're not built to excel in transition and they don't have players who get to the line at a high rate, but they've made up for it with knockdown three-point shooting and in recent years, an increase in pace, which obviously means more possessions. Now they don't have those two things to fall back on.

He's not a pure shooter, IMO, more of a role player with a solid shot. He's an end of the bench guy, and nobody else really looked better in training camp, tbh...

The Spurs still have time to make a trade or two if they're not happy with what they have right now. I just think Pop will take his time, and give this group a chance before making any drastic moves.

TD 21
12-01-2015, 08:09 PM
He's not a pure shooter, IMO, more of a role player with a solid shot. He's an end of the bench guy, and nobody else really looked better in training camp, tbh...

The Spurs still have time to make a trade or two if they're not happy with what they have right now. I just think Pop will take his time, and give this group a chance before making any drastic moves.

That's different than not being known as a three-point shooter.

As usual, you're wrong. Fourth wing was a likely need coming in and it took about five minutes to confirm it. They know it too, given that the perimeter rotation has been down to five and a half (and the half is in flux) for a while and we're barely a month in.

They may not get the player they ultimately settle on for a while, but if Butler doesn't start making threes, with relative volume, at a respectable clip, I wouldn't be surprised to see him waived and them audition a few D-Leaguers/other veteran shooters currently unsigned.

This can't wait. Not only is the lack of three-point shooting a crushing blow to an offense that couldn't afford it, but the current perimeter rotation is not sustainable.

ElNono
12-01-2015, 08:28 PM
That's different than not being known as a three-point shooter.

As usual, you're wrong. Fourth wing was a likely need coming in and it took about five minutes to confirm it. They know it too, given that the perimeter rotation has been down to five and a half (and the half is in flux) for a while and we're barely a month in.

They may not get the player they ultimately settle on for a while, but if Butler doesn't start making threes, with relative volume, at a respectable clip, I wouldn't be surprised to see him waived and them audition a few D-Leaguers/other veteran shooters currently unsigned.

This can't wait. Not only is the lack of three-point shooting a crushing blow to an offense that couldn't afford it, but the current perimeter rotation is not sustainable.

lmao, wrong about what? You're the one making strident claims in November.

Just like every season, this team will take it's time to come together, and Pop will play mad scientist, like he always does. He already said he's not even coaching LMA yet, just observing.

Even if they figure it out, it doesn't guarantee a championship or anything. Maybe they won't figure it out til next season. This is obviously the biggest swing in personnel and roles they've to deal with since 2003...

diego
12-01-2015, 09:17 PM

i agree its by design, im ok with it, teams are making a point of it more to take the 3 away anyways and the personnel isnt really there, but the FTAs have to go up to compensate, kawhi and LMA need to attack the rim more to draw more fouls. it seems LMA gets very little respect from refs.

anyways i looked and for comparison the 2005 team took 25.9 per game, tim and manu lead with 6.9 and 6 per game, current team takes 17.6 per game (-8.3), lma and kawhi lead with 3.6 and 3.4. I know defenses have changed yadda yadda yadda, but I would really like it if kawhi and LMA learned to play off each other more like tim and manu did (not necessarily the exact same way obviously). Neither of them are in the top 50 of the league, both are below the league average i found of 4.06 fta/g though that might be wrong, and in any case it seems like players are shooting more freethrows now than ever- I dont see any argument to explain the low FTA other than take less jumpshots and be more physical. Its disappointing to me that though both are playing relatively well and its still early goings, they arent bullying defenses inside despite the athletic/size advantages they have over most of their opponents.

TD 21
12-02-2015, 04:55 PM
lmao, wrong about what? You're the one making strident claims in November.

Just like every season, this team will take it's time to come together, and Pop will play mad scientist, like he always does. He already said he's not even coaching LMA yet, just observing.

Even if they figure it out, it doesn't guarantee a championship or anything. Maybe they won't figure it out til next season. This is obviously the biggest swing in personnel and roles they've to deal with since 2003...

Fourth wing.

:lol You're the king of cliche, vanilla takes. No matter the phraseology, virtually every post amounts to "wait and see" and "there's no guarantee".

The concept of a message board is lost on you.

apalisoc_9
12-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Fourth wing.

:lol You're the king of cliche, vanilla takes. No matter the phraseology, virtually every post amounts to "wait and see" and "there's no guarantee".

:wow

ElNono
12-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Fourth wing.

So what was it that I was wrong about? crofl

:lol Nothing says "original thought" like calling other posters "cliche and vanilla"... never been done here...

Same with panicking in November... what an original take... not cliche and vanilla at all... :lmao

Your opinions are no better or worse than anybody elses. Hows that for understanding the "concept of message board"?

And stop deflecting to me, tell me why this end of the bench wing is going to be the difference maker.

look_at_g_shred
12-02-2015, 05:43 PM
Anyone know what the 3 point percentage has been in each of our losses? Is this some sort of trend that when we are not hitting from deep, we lose the game? But then again, hasn't that always been the case with the Spurs the last few seasons?

ElNono
12-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Anyone know what the 3 point percentage has been in each of our losses? Is this some sort of trend that when we are not hitting from deep, we lose the game? But then again, hasn't that always been the case with the Spurs the last few seasons?

We shot 52% from 3 against the Pelicans and lost anyways...

will_spurs
12-02-2015, 06:19 PM

The losses are all over the place in terms of 3PA and 3P%. But on average (given the small samples) the Spurs are taking 3 fewer 3P and shooting a bit worse in losses.

TD 21
12-02-2015, 06:31 PM
So what was it that I was wrong about? crofl

:lol Nothing says "original thought" like calling other posters "cliche and vanilla"... never been done here...

Same with panicking in November... what an original take... not cliche and vanilla at all... :lmao

Your opinions are no better or worse than anybody elses. Hows that for understanding the "concept of message board"?

And stop deflecting to me, tell me why this end of the bench wing is going to be the difference maker.

Fourth wing. It's not an "end of the bench wing" and because of the lack of durability of the third wing and Diaw being utilized less as a small ball PF, the need is exacerbated.

:lmao Always concerned with covering your bases and playing holier than thou.

:lmao Still can't tell the difference between critiquing and panicking.

I've contributed more in this thread than you have in your million posts.

ElNono
12-02-2015, 06:51 PM
Fourth wing. It's not an "end of the bench wing" and because of the lack of durability of the third wing and Diaw being utilized less as a small ball PF, the need is exacerbated.

This makes no sense. Butler and KA already have a hard time getting much playing time at all. What makes you think Pop is going to give those minutes, or any other minutes to somebody new?

Kawhi plays 35 mpg not because Pop is forced to play him that much, but because he wants to. Just like he played young Tony and Tim 36 mpg all the time.

Heck, some people here will tell you Danny Green doesn't play enough minutes.

:lmao Always concerned with covering your bases and playing holier than thou.

:lmao Still can't tell the difference between critiquing and panicking.

I've contributed more in this thread than you have in your million posts.

:lmao blowing your own horn... never seen that one before

Don't forget to bitch about posters toeing the company line in your next reply... another original crofl

TD 21
12-03-2015, 06:00 PM
This makes no sense. Butler and KA already have a hard time getting much playing time at all. What makes you think Pop is going to give those minutes, or any other minutes to somebody new?

Kawhi plays 35 mpg not because Pop is forced to play him that much, but because he wants to. Just like he played young Tony and Tim 36 mpg all the time.

Heck, some people here will tell you Danny Green doesn't play enough minutes.

:lmao blowing your own horn... never seen that one before

Don't forget to bitch about posters toeing the company line in your next reply... another original crofl

:lol Always missing the point, no matter how basic of one it is. Anderson and Butler are barely playing because they're not good enough. If they had the type of fourth wing they desperately need and hopefully will end up acquiring, they'd get consistent minutes.

Leonard's minutes were always going to be upped, but it's only to this extent because of the lack of a quality fourth wing.

Young Duncan consistently playing around 40 mpg was a sign of the times. Those days are over and the guy who was a pioneer of that just so happens to coach this team.

ElNono
12-03-2015, 06:22 PM
:lol Always missing the point, no matter how basic of one it is. Anderson and Butler are barely playing because they're not good enough. If they had the type of fourth wing they desperately need and hopefully will end up acquiring, they'd get consistent minutes.

Leonard's minutes were always going to be upped, but it's only to this extent because of the lack of a quality fourth wing.

Young Duncan consistently playing around 40 mpg was a sign of the times. Those days are over and the guy who was a pioneer of that just so happens to coach this team.

Except they both play more when minutes are available to them (ie: resting Manu last night), which really goes to show the minute allocation is what it is because Pop chooses it to be that way, not because there's some alleged lack of talent. That much we can ascertain.

Then again, it's your opinion and I'm not going to tell you you're wrong, because it's not provable. Only Pop knows the answer to your theory and as far as we know so far, he is simply working with what he has (like he does every season).

TD 21
12-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Except they both play more when minutes are available to them (ie: resting Manu last night), which really goes to show the minute allocation is what it is because Pop chooses it to be that way, not because there's some alleged lack of talent. That much we can ascertain.

Then again, it's your opinion and I'm not going to tell you you're wrong, because it's not provable. Only Pop knows the answer to your theory and as far as we know so far, he is simply working with what he has (like he does every season).

Obviously; that's by default though. Someone has to eat up minutes when Ginobili isn't playing.

The minute allocation is what it is because neither Anderson nor Butler has gotten the job done, which is why their minutes are in flux and why Simmons is now on the active roster and getting some run.

If you've been paying attention, in relatively close games, he'll generally play a fourth wing roughly the first 5 minutes of the 2nd quarter, only to go down to three (with Mills playing spot minutes at SG, if the match-ups allow) in the 2nd half.

ElNono
12-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Obviously; that's by default though. Someone has to eat up minutes when Ginobili isn't playing.

The minute allocation is what it is because neither Anderson nor Butler has gotten the job done, which is why their minutes are in flux and why Simmons is now on the active roster and getting some run.

If you've been paying attention, in relatively close games, he'll generally play a fourth wing roughly the first 5 minutes of the 2nd quarter, only to go down to three (with Mills playing spot minutes at SG, if the match-ups allow) in the 2nd half.

It could easily be Green or McCallum, which are more seasoned in the NBA and already play few or no minutes. I really think he likes KA, and that's why he has him at this point in front of Butler and Simmons in the rotation.

He's going with the kids, and it makes sense, even if they're thinking about making a move mid-season. Pop is a guy that will give them a chance to show what they have before parting ways with any of them.

And I did notice the short rotation, but that's kinda of what I expect the team to do in the playoffs anyways. This isn't the same team as the last few years, where we're going to see a deep rotation when it matters. Our "top" players (LMA/Kawhi) are young and can play a lot of minutes, so I expect the playoff rotations for this team to be much shorter than years past.

Nathan89
12-03-2015, 06:43 PM
There is definitely a lack of talent that pushes Kawhi to play more minutes. He'd probably play 32min a night if his backups weren't trash. When we get pushed he plays like 40 minutes which is fine in the playoffs but for regular season it's not. It just show that Pop can't depend on any of the replacements without almost giving away the close games.

Didn't know TD21 hated Elnono though.

ElNono
12-03-2015, 06:49 PM
There is definitely a lack of talent that pushes Kawhi to play more minutes. He'd probably play 32min a night if his backups weren't trash. When we get pushed he plays like 40 minutes which is fine in the playoffs but for regular season it's not. It just show that Pop can't depend on any of the replacements without almost giving away the close games.

Kawhi is averaging 34 mpg... and Pop could easily play Green more (28mpg right now) as Kawhi's backup. Kawhi's minutes are in-line with what young Tony used to play (34 mpg too).

Nathan89
12-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Kawhi is averaging 34 mpg... and Pop could easily play Green more (28mpg right now) as Kawhi's backup. Kawhi's minutes are in-line with what young Tony used to play (34 mpg too).

The reason he doesn't do that is because he knows the offense needs some playmaking ability.

TD 21
12-03-2015, 06:57 PM
It could easily be Green or McCallum, which are more seasoned in the NBA and already play few or no minutes. I really think he likes KA, and that's why he has him at this point in front of Butler and Simmons in the rotation.

He's going with the kids, and it makes sense, even if they're thinking about making a move mid-season. Pop is a guy that will give them a chance to show what they have before parting ways with any of them.

And I did notice the short rotation, but that's kinda of what I expect the team to do in the playoffs anyways. This isn't the same team as the last few years, where we're going to see a deep rotation when it matters. Our "top" players (LMA/Kawhi) are young and can play a lot of minutes, so I expect the playoff rotations for this team to be much shorter than years past.

What are you talking about? No matter how much Leonard/Green play, someone has to eat up backup minutes, so when Ginobili is not available, Anderson, Butler or Simmons, will get minutes by default. They don't seem to view McCallum as an SG option, even in select match-ups.

They don't need to part ways with Anderson and Simmons. They're just not a fit playing off the ball and are not ready (maybe not good enough period, but it's too soon to say) to be rotation players on a championship contender.

You're going to see how big of an issue this is this month, when there's no more than a day between games. I guarantee they lose some games and labor throughout others because Ginobili either sits, barely plays or doesn't have legs and because Leonard can't play around 40 every game. Then the lack of a Neal/Belinelli type will become even more glaring.

Didn't know TD21 hated Elnono though.

:lol I don't know him well enough to determine whether I hate him or not. Even if I did, I wouldn't hate him because we disagree about basketball frequently.

ElNono
12-03-2015, 07:19 PM
What are you talking about? No matter how much Leonard/Green play, someone has to eat up backup minutes, so when Ginobili is not available, Anderson, Butler or Simmons, will get minutes by default. They don't seem to view McCallum as an SG option, even in select match-ups.

They don't need to part ways with Anderson and Simmons. They're just not a fit playing off the ball and are not ready (maybe not good enough period, but it's too soon to say) to be rotation players on a championship contender.

You're going to see how big of an issue this is this month, when there's no more than a day between games. I guarantee they lose some games and labor throughout others because Ginobili either sits, barely plays or doesn't have legs and because Leonard can't play around 40 every game. Then the lack of a Neal/Belinelli type will become even more glaring.

I'm talking when Gino is available, this is what you'll see except when there's a blowout. I like Beli, but we couldn't afford him. When Gino isn't available, it'll probably be Green and Simmons picking up his minutes.

But, as you say, we'll see in a month. As far as McCallum is concerned, I think he'll play when Tony rests, which just hasn't happened this season yet, but will happen considering he played for France over the summer.

ElNono
12-03-2015, 07:22 PM
The reason he doesn't do that is because he knows the offense needs some playmaking ability.

He would be playing with Boris and potentially Manu... I don't think it would be a problem. Kawhi right now plays 5-6 minutes with the bench and LMA... Danny could easily take those minutes.

Obviously, we would also like Danny to get his shot straight too.

SAGirl
12-03-2015, 07:52 PM
I agree with you ElNono, while I also respect TD 21's view. The fact that in close games and against elite competition Pop is sticking to a super tight schedule lends some validity to his point,I thought. However, I have come to realize that that Kawhi is at this point so superior to any backup, that Pop would play him in close games and against elite competition as much as he could spare him regardless of who his backup is because he lives and dies by his best player, which is completely fair.

Rasual and Anderson have stepped up when we needed them, and have both helped us win games that were still on the line (not talking about garbage time). Simmons has shown he can play, and has succeded in holding onto or expanding leads, which means he may yet get a role as the season progresses. However, none of these 3 are going to be on Kawhi's level, and Pop is likely to continue to select "the flavor of the month" which is really nothing else than giving a chance to the rookie and the youngest guy in our team to develop, or going with Rasual when he wants someone who is a veteran likely to limit his mistakes.

Mouth is Bleeding
12-03-2015, 08:08 PM
Play Diaw and West a whole lot less together and start getting Kawhi some damn time at the 4.

Leonard at the 4 lineups would kill the opposition.

TD 21
12-04-2015, 06:04 PM
I'm talking when Gino is available, this is what you'll see except when there's a blowout. I like Beli, but we couldn't afford him. When Gino isn't available, it'll probably be Green and Simmons picking up his minutes.

But, as you say, we'll see in a month. As far as McCallum is concerned, I think he'll play when Tony rests, which just hasn't happened this season yet, but will happen considering he played for France over the summer.

Even when Ginobili is available, they desperately need a Neal/Belinelli type, not only to help spread the minutes around and unlock more lineup flexibility, but to blow games open every once in a while.

I realize Belinelli couldn't be afforded, but they need someone of that mold. I mentioned Jenkins in the summer and Ellington in recent weeks, as possible candidates.

ceperez
12-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Even when Ginobili is available, they desperately need a Neal/Belinelli type, not only to help spread the minutes around and unlock more lineup flexibility, but to blow games open every once in a while.

I realize Belinelli couldn't be afforded, but they need someone of that mold. I mentioned Jenkins in the summer and Ellington in recent weeks, as possible candidates.

I agree, difficult to blow out teams without taking enough 3's. Team's now are going the GSW way and playing lots of small ball. It also does show in the Eastern conference teams having better records than many Western teams.

Nathan89
12-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Play Diaw and West a whole lot less together and start getting Kawhi some damn time at the 4.

Leonard at the 4 lineups would kill the opposition.

This something we could do if our backup wings were so bad.

ElNono
12-04-2015, 07:54 PM
I actually think Beli would've been a solid piece more as a playmaker than a 3 point shooter. I think eventually Danny will get his touch back, and the rest of the shooters (Patty, Manu, Kawhi, Boris, Kyle) are not doing terribly bad. If anything, it's unnerving to see Bobo pass up wide open looks right now.