PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Can we debunk the Shaq was untouchable in his prime narative

Kawhitstorm
12-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Shaq feasted on the rest of the competition but that narrative wasn't true when he faced Tim:

-Duncan outplayed him in: '99, '02, '03 & neutralized him in '01.
-2004 was basically Tim vs. Malone w/ double teams (Payton/George/Fisher/Kobe) & Shaq camping in the paint as Rasho/Hedo/Tony(after Gm 4) were trash.
-Tim also sonned Shaq in 2008 when he was still capable of playing at a high level (was an all-star in 2009).

RsxPiimp
12-01-2015, 05:37 PM
Shaq wasn't the problem, Kobe was. You guys literally had no answer for him.

MultiTroll
12-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Shaq feasted on the rest of the competition but that narrative wasn't true when he faced Tim:

-Duncan outplayed him in: '99, '02, '03 & neutralized him in '01.
-2004 was basically Tim vs. Malone w/ double teams (Payton/George/Fisher/Kobe) & Shaq camping in the paint as Rasho/Hedo/Tony(after Gm 4) were trash.
-Tim also sonned Shaq in 2008 when he was still capable of playing at a high level (was an all-star in 2009).
True that.

Additionally, the Blazers infamous game 7 where the rape of 90% ft shooter Steve Smith got the Stern Lakers no call. Hardly *dominance* by Shaq.

Ditto Vlade all up in Shaqs head in the Kings 2002 Championship year.

JohnnyMax
12-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Shaq without a prime Kobe has been swept in majority of his playoff ending series.

He's basically Lebron of big men, he needs a clutch scorer to finish games for him.

Kawhitstorm
12-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Shaq wasn't the problem, Kobe was. You guys literally had no answer for him.

Who was guarding him again?

Kawhitstorm
12-01-2015, 06:00 PM
Shaq without a prime Kobe has been swept in majority of his playoff ending series.

He's basically Lebron of big men, he needs a clutch scorer to finish games for him.

I guess he could have matched Bill Russell if he had Ray Allen instead of Kobe.:toast

Arcadian
12-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Yep, Duncan arguably had the better peak than Shaq. He was a more complete player, and did more to help his team win.

FkLA
12-01-2015, 06:10 PM

And Kirby post-MDE, pre-MVPau, post-MVPau accomplished what exactly?

Prime Shaq was the focus of every opponent. Kirby, being the GOAT sidekick that he is, took full advantage of that and raped teams like the Spurs on a consistent basis.

Bynumite
12-01-2015, 06:14 PM
This thread sounds like spurfan group therapy. Spurfan is finally making progress. Congrats :toast

It's good to see spurfan finally admit who their daddy is, even if it took them over 10 years :lol

That's the 1st step towards leaving the state of constant butthurt you guys are in when someone brings up Kobe.

tonight...you
12-01-2015, 06:20 PM
This thread sounds like spurfan group therapy. Spurfan is finally making progress. Congrats :toast

It's good to see spurfan finally admit who their daddy is, even if it took them over 10 years :lol

That's the 1st step towards leaving the state of constant butthurt you guys are in when someone brings up Kobe.
Kobe is the only player, other than MJ, that made me hold my breath whenever the ball was in his hands when he was at the top of his game.
Straight up fear.

No shame in admitting that.

Now it's probably Curry and Westbrook that comes close to instilling that fear. Not the same... Curry is about there tbh, but Koby, MJ and Hakeem (those few magical years) made me hiccup when that ball hit their hands.

FkLA
12-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Kobe is the only player, other than MJ, that made me hold my breath whenever the ball was in his hands when he was at the top of his game.
Straight up fear.

No shame in admitting that.

Now it's probably Curry and Westbrook that comes close to instilling that fear. Not the same... Curry is about there tbh, but Koby, MJ and Hakeem (those few magical years) made me hiccup when that ball hit their hands.

Maybe against the Spurs during the playoffs...but in general, his percentages suggest that your fear was unwarranted. You were brainwashed, like many others, into thinking he was efficient and clutch.

tonight...you
12-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Maybe against the Spurs during the playoffs...but in general, his percentages suggest that your fear was unwarranted. You were brainwashed, like many others, into thinking he was efficient and clutch.
Maybe the Playoffs was when I feared. Maybe I didn't care so much in the RS.
Maybe you've already brainwashed yourself.

da_suns_fan
12-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Duncan wasnt even remotely as dominant as Shaq was in his prime.

Sorry Spurs fan. Shaq was probably the most dominant player of all time.

nowitzkikopf
12-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Duncan wasnt even remotely as dominant as Shaq was in his prime.

Sorry Spurs fan. Shaq was probably the most dominant player of all time.

define dominant