PDA

View Full Version : Does LeMarcus Aldridge fancy himself a HOF'er? Do you think LMA is a future HOF'er?

Spurtacular
12-03-2015, 06:26 AM
I was about to make some analysis based upon my belief that LMA fancies himself a future HOF'er. Then, I realized this is probably a new thread worthy topic. As well, this begs the question of whether ST'ers think LMA is a future HOF'er?

Drom John
12-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Yes WS has flaws. But WS's grouping of players meets my eyeball test.

After nine years Aldridge is most like Terry Cummings. I saw Cummings, and this is rational.
Three of Aldridge's top 10 comps are HoFers: Jack Twyman, Dennis Rodman and Jamaal Wilkes.
Twyman gets old-timer credit, Wilkes gets UCLA credit.
Buck Williams would be a rational HoFer.
Rasheed Wallace has an outside chance of getting in, better without all the technical fouls.
David Lee is still playing but won't be a HoFer.

Aldridge is very good and should be worthy of future HoF conversation, but I think his chance is <50%. A ring might bump that over.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-03-2015, 10:44 AM
He has to win

will_spurs
12-03-2015, 10:53 AM
With current resume he surely won't make it. He's just another decent big man. Right now he needs more of: MVP shares, and rings. I don't think there are many MVP shares in his future. A couple of rings would probably do it.

cd98
12-03-2015, 11:49 AM
The next few years will define his career.

Spurtacular
12-03-2015, 06:21 PM
LMA is a lot like Bosh when he moved from Toronto to Miami; something of a perennial number one option and all-star on something of HOF pace numbers-wise. I think he sees himself as having those credentials and does not want to take a huge hit on his numbers.

ChumpDumper
12-03-2015, 06:23 PM
Not yet.

Is Jimmer Fredette HoF material?

Nathan89
12-03-2015, 06:25 PM
He'll need a ring for me to even consider it.

SpursFan86
12-03-2015, 06:29 PM
I'm not going to act like I know whether LMA thinks he's a HoFer or not :lol

As for whether I think he deserves to be one: not yet. If he shows he can thrive in a lesser role and wins a title doing so, then he could certainly make it.

BillMc
12-03-2015, 06:32 PM
He was on the "guy who scores a lot but never wins" train to the HOF. If he kept churning out 20+ seasons for another six to 8 years, he'd be a marginal HOF like Mitch Richmond or someone like that. You know, a guy who gets in in a slow year 6 to 10 years after he's first eligible. Melo is on that train too, but he may get in quicker because of the gold medals, college championship and NY media.

Now LMA is on a team that is going to hurt his stats. Now he's got to win to be a HOF'er. At least one title, maybe two. Hopefully he realizes that. He's been far less of a diva that I thought after this summer, and his d and rebounding show me he's giving the effort when the shot isn't falling. Much respect to LMA. I just hope he doesn't get frustrated in the new equation.

TheDoctor
12-03-2015, 07:57 PM
He will be a HoF. The NBA's weak in that regard compared to other sports.

tholdren
12-03-2015, 08:53 PM
no but SA paid him like he's one.

Richie
12-03-2015, 09:14 PM
LMA is a lot like Bosh when he moved from Toronto to Miami; something of a perennial number one option and all-star on something of HOF pace numbers-wise. I think he sees himself as having those credentials and does not want to take a huge hit on his numbers.

Bosh is a Hall of Famer because of his key role in two titles and 4 finals runs. Aldridge needs to win rings to make the Hall

ChumpDumper
12-03-2015, 09:17 PM
He will be a HoF. The NBA's weak in that regard compared to other sports.It's not the NBA Hall of Fame.

Spurtacular
12-04-2015, 02:51 AM
Bosh is a Hall of Famer because of his key role in two titles and 4 finals runs. Aldridge needs to win rings to make the Hall

There's a misperception on ST that rings are of such great importance in making a HOF. Yes, it makes some would-be border players more of locks. In other cases, great amounts of winning bodes well for a player like Ginobili who wasn't putting up such great numbers. But had Bosh stayed in Toronto and put up 22 and 11, he would still be positioned well to make the HOF.

Russo21
12-04-2015, 08:36 AM
Good question but probably not at this stage. It's hard to tell. You have awesome players with great numbers like Dominique, Ewing, Mourning, Miller, Stockton to Malone, etc, all have no rings but are in the hall of fame. I don't think LMA would make the hall of fame unless he wins a championship though. He's kinda like the opposite of Manu and Tony in that regard, they don't have mind boggling career stats but they have 4 rings to do the talking for them and are locks for the HOF. I hope LMA thrives in SA, if he helps us to a chip or 2 and along with Kawhi keeps us relevant post TD he'd at least get his Jersey hanging in he rafters in San Antonio, but no championship = no jersey retirement for him as he wouldn't have been here that long. Hopefully yes to HOF and Jersey retirement :toast

100%duncan
12-04-2015, 08:37 AM
No. I hope we can all say yes in the future.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-04-2015, 08:47 AM
I don't think LMA gives a fuck at this point.

Like Reggie was saying during the game last night and it just confirmed what I thought was going through LMA mind, he is just focusing on his Defense right now and working with Pop directly to become an Elite defender. He told Reggie, his offense is natural to him and will come around. But right now he is focus on becoming a better defender as defense is the only way the Spurs are going to beat GSW.

It's awesome to here him say that. Maybe his attitude rubbed off on Parker, that is being a guy who is focusing on doing what needs to be done to win as oppose to just stat padding.

will_spurs
12-04-2015, 08:48 AM
There's a misperception on ST that rings are of such great importance in making a HOF. Yes, it makes some would-be border players more of locks.

That's the whole point, though, because LMA is currently borderline.

There are 5 tiers of HoFer:
0. Generational / legendary / transcendent players (a.k.a. the GOATs)
1. MVP (automatic)
2. perennial All-Star/stats leader
3. regular All-Star + rings/FMVP
4. international / college / coaching

Take that to LaMarcus case and you have:
0. Clearly not.
1. Not a MVP and won't ever be
2. Not a perennial All-Star (took him 6 years to get his first selection) and his career averages are decent but nothing extraordinary
3. He's a regular All-Star/All-NBA (several selections), so what he needs is rings.
4. (obviously his career will be appraised only based on his NBA career.

will_spurs
12-04-2015, 08:50 AM
Maybe his attitude rubbed off on Parker, that is being a guy who is focusing on doing what needs to be done to win as oppose to just stat padding.

More probably the other way around, given Duncan, Manu and Tony's unselfishness.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-04-2015, 08:55 AM
More probably the other way around, given Duncan, Manu and Tony's unselfishness.

I think Duncan's and Manu (especially taking much lower salaries than their worth) effected LMA directly. But I am saying Parker and LMA have a lot of shared tendencies. So Parker seeing LMA, who is like him in a lot of ways, willing to give up things, I think he just has made Parker's transition this season easier for him. Because with Parker, it has all been a psychological struggle for him up to this point. Duncan and Manu easily transitioned their roles. Parker was struggling transitioning with his.

Buddy Mignon
12-04-2015, 09:58 AM
His career numbers just about match Jim's... why not?

Russo21
12-04-2015, 10:04 AM
His career numbers just about match Jim's... why not?
Exactly why a 'chip or two would guarantee a spot in the HOF and a Jersey hanging from the rafters :)

NameLess Scrub
12-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Remember Manu also has international credentials to go with his NBA career.
I hope he and TD get in the same year so I can try to go to the ceremony

About LMA, I agree he'll probably need titles in order to make it.

NameLess Scrub
12-04-2015, 12:13 PM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally posted by Cowboys_Wear_Spurs (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8305288#post8305212)

Like Reggie was saying during the game last night and it just confirmed what I thought was going through LMA mind, he is just focusing on his Defense right now and working with Pop directly to become an Elite defender. He told Reggie, his offense is natural to him and will come around. But right now he is focus on becoming a better defender as defense is the only way the Spurs are going to beat GSW.

It's awesome to here him say that. Maybe his attitude rubbed off on Parker, that is being a guy who is focusing on doing what needs to be done to win as oppose to just stat padding.

Didn't LMA say in his interview during the game last night that defense was just who he is and he needed to work on the Spurs offense?

Mr Bones
12-04-2015, 12:19 PM
He's still only 30 years old, so there's probably at least 5 more years of basketball left in his career. Joining this Spurs team will help, especially if they continue to win at their current clip, but what will really stand out for HOF voters will be how the Spurs play after Timmy retires. If an Aldridge/Kawhi led team continues to be an NBA powerhouse, he'll be known as the guy who helped continue the dynasty. It helps too that he's now being seen as a guy who has helped the Spurs be the best defensive team in the NBA-- something he's wasn't especially known for before.

Canyonero
12-04-2015, 05:20 PM
No and not yet

Blake
12-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Aldridge currently sits at about a 5% probability according to basketball reference

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html

Interestingly enough, Manu sits only at 20%. I'm guessing it's going solely on NBA careers...

:cry Parker in the 90s...:cry