PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Is the 'dream' of a Clippers championship dead?

Spurtacular
12-03-2015, 07:07 AM
There were those in the media and fan circles who thought a Clippers championship was a strong possibility. Some (maybe not most) would have argued that was not so.

SpursIndonesia
12-03-2015, 07:15 AM
In 2009-2010, people said that Nowitzki championship window has closed, we know how it came up in the end. Both CP3 and Griffin are legit superstar and still in their prime, if stars align rightfully for them, they still have a shot in the next few years. A long shot perhaps, but it's there none the less.

Ball Buster
12-03-2015, 07:31 AM
They look like hot garbage so far this season.

Raven
12-03-2015, 07:40 AM
they need some luck with the draft and get a 3d guy. until then, they have no chance.

midnightpulp
12-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Dead right now. You can't win a title with Jamal Crawford getting major minutes.

Killakobe81
12-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Let's be honest here. Both Paul and Blake are elite level players arguably the best PF and 2nd best PG in the NBA right now. But Blake seems to thrive as a play-maker when Paul sits and CP3 loves the ball in his own hands ... both would probably best served in a #2 role with a better player if they want to win a title. Paul would be perfect back in NOLA with Davis. And Blake would benefit from a less dominant PG like a Conley where he couls develop in to a true #1 with more play-making responsibilities.

I put the Clips as my darkhorse contender 3 years running and they have flamed out each time. I dont trust them at all. And when Dirk broke through he RC as coach not doc. I used to defense Doc here because his inbounds plays were so good and he seemed like the best of the black coaches. No longer.

Clipper Nation
12-03-2015, 11:53 AM
It was dead when the choke artist got that $107 million contract.

midnightpulp
12-03-2015, 12:06 PM
It was dead when the choke artist got that $107 million contract.

I know I lost my cred re: CP3, but I'm telling you, man, it's Crawful! He throws the team out of whack, and late in the 4th (where the Clips typically blow leads) when Griffin is getting fronted and denied post passes, CP3 is really the only other player who can create his own shot and actually score. Crawful closes games along with CP3 because (in theory) he was supposed to be that extra perimeter threat who can create his own shot as well. But he massively sucks to such a degree that the Clippers become very easy to defend late. Opposing teams just collapse on Blake, stay home on JJ, and let CP3 try to beat them by himself, because they know DeMonkey won't get the ball (can't shoot FTs) and if Crawful gets it, it'll just miss :lol

Mitch
12-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Yeah, it's safe to say the Clippers will be fishing with us soon unless something big happens for them.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Josh smith does not fit their system and Pierce is done at this point. Those were to two big FA acquisitions that were suppose to take them over the hump. It did, but just on the downward end.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Damn, 20 mil a year for a guy that can't create his own shot, can't shot FTs and basically is just good for rebounding. Mavs dodged a bullet there.

http://www.nba.com/games/20151202/INDLAC/gameinfo.html?ls=iref:nba:scoreboard

spursistan
12-03-2015, 01:02 PM
They played a home-heavy schedule (13 out 19) but are only 10-9...Looks like CP3 is going to be hobbled all year along (4th missed game already after playing 82 in '14-'15). Their acquisitions were overrated to begin with, and i'm not surprised that they haven't moved needle just yet..

They are going to be 4th/5th seed, and at best will get smoked by the Warriors in R2....I think it is legitimate to start thinking about blowing up the core (all assets on table but Griffin) after another post-season disappointment..All that begging for Deandre :lol..

spursistan
12-03-2015, 02:49 PM
Trade imminent?

Sources close to the situation continue to say the Clippers are being opportunistic – saying if a solid player becomes available they’d do a deal – however, league sources say the Clippers may be more desperate than they’ll admit, sensing that a major change is needed.
The Clippers have the Pacers and Magic at home this week before heading out on five-game east coast trip next week.
The Clippers should know a lot more about themselves after the trip, which happens to line up with the December 15 trade restriction deadline being lifted for most of the players signed this past summer.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-almost-trade-season-in-the-nba-2/

TheCultOfPersonality
12-03-2015, 06:39 PM
They have only 3 above average players on their roster (Griffin, Reddick, Paul), 1 mediocre at best player on their roster (Jordan) and everyone else are just garbage time players masquerading as rotation players. Unless the Clippers can get better players on their roster they're screwed.

~O~
12-03-2015, 07:06 PM
Honestly, they're done. They hit their stride for the couple of years but its over. I see this makeup eventually blowing up through trades to try and further success. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up completely back to the Clippers we all knew in 00-10 decade. The Jazz and Minnesota have waited their turn. Sacramento just needs competent management.

ambchang
12-03-2015, 07:36 PM
Cp3 is like the Barkley of point guards, ball dominant on offense and not that great on defense.

The issue with them is that they have the ball in their hands for such a long time in a possession that it stops the momentum of the team and also makes them easier to game plan in the playoffs.

Paul needs a pick and roll partner (griffin is a perfect player for that), a help defender on defense to erase Paul's mistakes (Jordan), and a bunch of shooters who can play d to both cover Paul on defense and also shoot wide open shots as a variation of the Paul Blake pick and rolls. They have the shooters, but those guys can't play d and as a result the opposition just exploit them. Also, they put a big guy on Paul and just cuts off his penetration and passing lanes. The clippers have to transition more of the offense to Blake to confuse the defense, especially during crunch time.

dbreiden83080
12-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Dead and buried.. No chance..

dbreiden83080
12-03-2015, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=spursistan;8302961]Trade imminent?

[URL]http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba

Now how do you go through all that off season drama and not stand pat at least till the trade deadline? Doc Rivers is supposed to be this great coach right??

100%duncan
12-04-2015, 08:39 AM
Trade imminent?

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-almost-trade-season-in-the-nba-2/

CP3 for Kyle?

Mark Celibate
12-04-2015, 06:54 PM
they have a squad that seems rather stacked but still overshadowed by the warriors imho, not to mention the Spurs who're set to make one or two last championship runs with a gang of veterans. I think the Clippers, with what they've got, would've probably rang without much difficulty in a weak year (like 2013), but not a stacked year with so much competition imho. Again, though, they need to get through the 2nd round barrier before any serious championship talk.

Jacob1983
12-05-2015, 03:29 AM
If the Spurs and Warriors go on strike, then the dream ain't dead. The Clippers definitely have a chance at a championship if those two teams go on strike.

Venti Quattro
12-05-2015, 07:30 AM
It was slightly ajar but that's it

UZER
12-05-2015, 07:48 AM
Lance Stevenson and Josh Smith were absolutely horrible pickups. The combined bball IQ is less than a box of rocks. They don't understand the game and how to play within a game. The Clipps deserve to struggle for thinking those guys would help.

I understand the PP signing, but like a boxer dropping off from one fight to the next, he is just done. Playing in the western conference is shining a brighter light on it.

Venti Quattro
12-05-2015, 08:38 AM
Lance Stevenson and Josh Smith were absolutely horrible pickups. The combined bball IQ is less than a box of rocks. They don't understand the game and how to play within a game.

You can understand gambling on Josh Smith after his fluke playoff run, but signing Lance Stevenson is an absolutely terrible mistake.

Fabbs
12-05-2015, 09:29 AM
With the current cast, yes done.

New CBA in 2016 may attract some star free agents to L.A.

spursistan
12-22-2015, 02:51 PM
To me, they look like more ready for an epic implosion than playing themselves back to contention...Their offseason is officially overrated; they may in fact be worse team than last year's (Josh Smith/Pierce are getting DNP CDs :lol)..

the comparison between them and Mavericks couldn't be more off the mark..Dallas had far more successful track record before their 2011 run, and that year they did benefit from a very weak top competition in the West in 2011: Lakers spent after 3 deep runs and with smouldering lockeroom issues; Spurs being fools gold; Thunder not ready yet, in addition to Lebron shitting the bed in finals..

Even with a trade to upgrade their massive wing hole--something that is hard to see given their cap flexibility and market landsape-- this Clipper team will still have two juggernaut team to overcome from a low seed position--one of which, Warriors, is here to stay for the forseeable future-- not to mention a hungry Thunder team that has had their number in recent years...In a year time, it will dawn on them that will probably need to move away from this current core including the head coaching part.. ..

Cry Havoc
12-22-2015, 04:12 PM
It's closed right now. Meaning this group of players will never win a title.

They need A) More shooters than just CP3 and Redick B) more versatile defenders and C) a bench that isn't absolutely terrible on defense.

Tough to see them finding that.

It would be hilarious (and potentially brilliant) if after all the Dallas drama, the Clippers were to deal Deandre for a couple of much needed pieces. That would probably hurt their interior D, but it could improve the team overall. Jordan's stock is NEVER going to go up from here, the dude won't learn to shoot free throws and doesn't have any kind of touch more than 5 feet from the rim, but even the Mavs were going after him in the off-season. Teams would give up a lot for Jordan... but only in the near future. As soon as his athleticism falters, he's going to be a homeless man's ZBo.

If they want to stay as pseudo-contenders, this team can do that. If they want to win a ring, they need to move some guys.

Agree with the sentiment that Smith and Lance were absolutely abysmal pickups. They possibly signed the two worst players for their system.

RsxPiimp
12-22-2015, 05:00 PM
They shuffled that roster too many times with little to no result. They need to overhaul it, starting with the coach. Deandre needs to go, CP3 too, sell both while they still have value. They can still salvage Griffins career IMO...

HarlemHeat37
12-22-2015, 05:10 PM
Chris Paul is the 3rd best PG of all-time IMO, but his style of play will never win a championship..a ball-dominant, pass-first PG at 6-feet tall is not a recipe for a championship..with that being said, the roster is obviously terrible..

Outside of Paul/Griffin/Redick, the only other above average player is Jordan, and he's extremely overrated..Crawford and Rivers are horrible, Stephenson/Smith are unreliable, Mbah a Moute and Johnson are irrelevant players, Pierce and Prigioni are too old, etc..

Rivers has done quite the job as GM:lol..

whitemamba
12-22-2015, 06:50 PM
Its as alive as MLK tbh.

Buddy Mignon
12-22-2015, 08:21 PM
Chris Paul is the 3rd best PG of all-time IMO, but his style of play will never win a championship..a ball-dominant, pass-first PG at 6-feet tall is not a recipe for a championship..with that being said, the roster is obviously terrible..

Outside of Paul/Griffin/Redick, the only other above average player is Jordan, and he's extremely overrated..Crawford and Rivers are horrible, Stephenson/Smith are unreliable, Mbah a Moute and Johnson are irrelevant players, Pierce and Prigioni are too old, etc..

Rivers has done quite the job as GM:lol..

I got Magic, Thomas, Penny, Hardaway, Stockton, GP, Kidd, and KJ above Paul.

HarlemHeat37
12-22-2015, 08:24 PM
I got Magic, Thomas, Penny, Hardaway, Stockton, GP, Kidd, and KJ above Paul.

That's cool, bro..you also had the Lakers as the 6 seed, though, my nigga:lol..

Buddy Mignon
12-22-2015, 08:28 PM
It was just a dream.

SAGirl
12-23-2015, 02:27 AM
they need some luck with the draft and get a 3d guy. until then, they have no chance.
This. ^^
I don't think they are done per se, but their supporting cast is weak.
If they had a third banana better than Jamal Crawful (who has aged) or Austin Rivers for their bench, and had better perimeter players, I could see them getting there, but it's unlikely.

Joseph Kony
12-23-2015, 02:46 AM
When your top 3 players are a crying, flopping faggot, a soft ginger, and a gorilla who can only dunk and block shots, along with Tom Rivers, the most overrated coach in NBA history, your window was never really open to begin with

hater
12-23-2015, 09:47 AM
They lost MVPBarnes tbqh

pgardn
12-23-2015, 10:39 AM
It was just a dream.

As is your supposedly enormous third leg ya pitiful little Asian.

pgardn
12-23-2015, 10:47 AM
When your top 3 players are a crying, flopping faggot, a soft ginger, and a gorilla who can only dunk and block shots, along with Tom Rivers, the most overrated coach in NBA history, your window was never really open to begin with

Pretty much.

They beat the Spurs in 7 and were mentally drained.
This will not change with a guy like Rivers and players who don't understand the goal is bigger than their personal egos during individual games. It's so simple to just get in Griffins head, he can't help himself. Practically every player of importance can be baited so easily.

100%duncan
12-23-2015, 10:48 AM
They need to overhaul. Keep Griffin and Redick though. Griffin is a legit alpha.

pgardn
12-23-2015, 10:59 AM
They need to overhaul. Keep Griffin and Redick though. Griffin is a legit alpha.

Legit bonehead.

100%duncan
12-23-2015, 11:21 AM
Legit bonehead.

?