PDA

View Full Version : Scott Weiland Dead

Spurminator
12-04-2015, 12:36 AM
http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/12/report-scott-weiland-stone-temple-pilots-frontman-has-died/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Spurminator
12-04-2015, 12:36 AM
Feeling Layne Staley deja vu.

Basically surprised it took this long.

SpursforSix
12-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Shit. That sucks. Great voice. RIP.

SpursforSix
12-04-2015, 12:40 AM
Layne Staley
Shannon Hoon
Bradley Nowell
Andrew Wood

spurraider21
12-04-2015, 12:48 AM
Ted Cruz's thoughts and prayers are with him and his family

HI-FI
12-04-2015, 01:04 AM
Shouldn't be shocked but it still sucks. Great frontman when he was on. Rest in Peace.

Thebesteva
12-04-2015, 01:26 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iNVyUxmWi0

JMarkJohns
12-04-2015, 01:43 AM
I'm fucking wrecked... I've expected it forever, but it still doesn't prepare you.

Dude was a vocal chameleon.

http://youtu.be/ibQMdYqK2k4

Sounds like Bowie meets Neil Diamond here. Unreal talent and I loved that he was I afraid to take chances and adapt his sound. Even his vocals from album to album never sounded similar.

JMarkJohns
12-04-2015, 01:44 AM
Feeling Layne Staley deja vu.

Basically surprised it took this long.

Layne
Scott
Cornell

If Chris goes, I may very well jump off a bridge.

JMarkJohns
12-04-2015, 01:45 AM
Shouldn't be shocked but it still sucks. Great frontman when he was on. Rest in Peace.

At his peak, his stage aura was this generations Mick Jagger.

I did three tour stops on their 4 Tour. Goddamn what a time.

DMC
12-04-2015, 01:54 AM
Too bad he didn't do it before the album.

hehateme
12-04-2015, 01:55 AM
I was hopeful he would get back with STP again for a final tour after they parted with Chester...sucks to hear this.

Floyd Pacquiao
12-04-2015, 01:57 AM
https://youtu.be/EIQf_3Cw6Q4

Chris
12-04-2015, 03:27 AM
damn man RIP they say he died in his sleep ; not a bad way to go but 48 is so young. That album Core I think I bought 3 times. Purple was a pretty good follow up and was around the time Cobain died. It played on repeat to drown my grief

Koolaid_Man
12-04-2015, 07:22 AM
So who's Scott Weiland.. Someone help me out..you know us Nigerians and us black folk don't know who these people be....

benefactor
12-04-2015, 07:27 AM
det heroin

RIP

redzero
12-04-2015, 08:08 AM
Sad to hear. Ten was a great album. :depressed

redzero
12-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Wow, Jim Norton called it: https://youtu.be/x_WE6LQrCfE?t=1353

JoeTait75
12-04-2015, 08:41 AM
Great, underrated frontman. Considering what he did to his body it's surprising he lasted this long. Purple was one of the best albums of the '90s, with great tracks up and down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U473czCKdKs

JMarkJohns
12-04-2015, 09:26 AM
His lyrics always told a story and I loved that he wasn't afraid to take chances. His solo tracks are damn good in a ecclectic Jazz meets blues pop turned Glam Rock sort of way.

Xevious
12-04-2015, 09:45 AM
Alice in Chains and STP were two of my favorites.

Sucks, but not unexpected.

mrsmaalox
12-04-2015, 10:03 AM
So sad. I drove from Olympia, Washington to Augusta, Georgia in my brand new 1997 Chevy Astro Van with my 3 toddlers strapped in their carseats listening to STP the whole way. The kids requested it over and over and over lol. Many happy memories, it was a rough trip but wonderful as well. RIP Mr Weiland.

RsxPiimp
12-04-2015, 11:16 AM
So who's Scott Weiland.. Someone help me out..you know us Nigerians and us black folk don't know who these people be....

He was the main vocal for Radiohead. Remember that song creep?

Big Empty
12-04-2015, 11:28 AM
damn... im still in shock. Big STP fan here since Core. Playing nothing but STP tonight when I go out.

Duncanforthree
12-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Yeah,this one sucks.

Really wish I hadn't missed their reunion show at AT&T a few years back.

Trill Clinton
12-04-2015, 12:20 PM
who

Darius McCrary
12-04-2015, 12:36 PM
Great, underrated frontman. Considering what he did to his body it's surprising he lasted this long. Purple was one of the best albums of the '90s, with great tracks up and down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U473czCKdKs

Core >>> Purple

Weiland deserves props for making it this long tbh.

Cornell takes care of himself, and his drug of choice is narcissism lol, he'll be around a long time.

So will Vedder.

Darius McCrary
12-04-2015, 12:36 PM
The band I saw last night stopped everything and started playing STP tunes the rest of the night. Was pretty cool.

RGMCSE
12-04-2015, 04:37 PM
He was the main vocal for Radiohead. Remember that song creep?

Rafiohead is another band with another singer that happens to also have a popular song called creep. They're different.

Kim Jong-il
12-04-2015, 05:57 PM
Sad to hear. Ten was a great album. :depressed
:lol

JMarkJohns
12-04-2015, 06:47 PM
Core >>> Purple

Weiland deserves props for making it this long tbh.

Cornell takes care of himself, and his drug of choice is narcissism lol, he'll be around a long time.

So will Vedder.

Both Core and Purple were unique albums, both equally great for the different styles and approaches. If I had to pick, I'd probably go Purple, but it's not an easy choice, and not one is ever want to make. Weiland just had more diversity in the vocals on Purple, and the complexity of lyrics were more substantive.

The Gemini Method
12-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Grew up listening to them, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Nirvana as an alternative to my heavy hip-hop filled soundtrack. So many of the loses from that era were tremendous. Creep (STP) is one of my favorite tunes to try and play. R.I.P. Scott. May your demons be gone.

DMC
12-04-2015, 08:17 PM
So sad. I drove from Olympia, Washington to Augusta, Georgia in my brand new 1997 Chevy Astro Van with my 3 toddlers strapped in their carseats listening to STP the whole way. The kids requested it over and over and over lol. Many happy memories, it was a rough trip but wonderful as well. RIP Mr Weiland.
3 toddlers? Jesus Christ lady, that's a vagina not a clown car.

tlongII
12-04-2015, 09:10 PM
And Keith Richards outlives another one! :lol

Koolaid_Man
12-04-2015, 09:13 PM
Fuck off bitch

mrsmaalox
12-04-2015, 09:28 PM

:lol I had 4 babies in 5 years! One natural and 3 c-sections, so actually my vagina looks a lot better than my scarred abdomen.

Koolaid_Man
12-04-2015, 09:32 PM
:lol I had 4 babies in 5 years! One natural and 3 c-sections, so actually my vagina looks a lot better than my scarred abdomen.

Yes we did..and yes it does...still yummy too

SpursforSix
12-04-2015, 09:43 PM

Pics please. Nothing hotter than a scarred abdomen. When I was little, I thought babies came out of the butt. That would be pretty awful.

jeebus
12-04-2015, 10:00 PM
:cry RIP. Get out your lighters, people :cry

http://i.imgur.com/uXNvlaZ.jpg

Drachen
12-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Who will be his judge and which one does he trust?

leemajors
12-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Both Core and Purple were unique albums, both equally great for the different styles and approaches. If I had to pick, I'd probably go Purple, but it's not an easy choice, and not one is ever want to make. Weiland just had more diversity in the vocals on Purple, and the complexity of lyrics were more substantive.

The question is, did you buy Talk Show?

JMarkJohns
12-05-2015, 10:03 PM
The question is, did you buy Talk Show?

I bought Tiny Music, 4, Thank You.

Didn't get Shangriladida.

Don't remember a Talk Show.

I own his two solo albums.

leemajors
12-05-2015, 10:49 PM
I bought Tiny Music, 4, Thank You.

Didn't get Shangriladida.

Don't remember a Talk Show.

I own his two solo albums.

I'm stupid, talk show was STP w/o weiland essentially

JMarkJohns
12-05-2015, 11:12 PM
I hate Chester Bennington, so, no.

SpursforSix
12-06-2015, 12:56 AM
I'm stupid, talk show was STP w/o weiland essentially

I like Talk Show ok. Missed Weiland but the Deleos write good tunes.

Darius McCrary
12-06-2015, 08:08 PM

Fair enough, but nothing beats "Piece of Pie" and "Crackerman" for badassery.

SpursforSix
12-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Fair enough, but nothing beats "Piece of Pie" and "Crackerman" for badassery.

word. I'd like to say I'd pick Purple because it is more developed and had a pretty diverse sound. Even though it got played out for a while, Interstate Love Song is a great song. But there are some songs I still skip if I've got the CD going.
I'll listen to Core from fist track to last.

Darth_Pelican
11-15-2017, 02:21 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/music/stone-temple-pilots-announce-x-factor-veteran-jeff-gutt-new-singer-064759402.html

LaMarcus Bryant
11-15-2017, 07:04 PM
they should pick Corey Feldman

benefactor
11-15-2017, 11:03 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/music/stone-temple-pilots-announce-x-factor-veteran-jeff-gutt-new-singer-064759402.html
Not a bad choice at all. I remember Jeff from the XFactor days. I didn't watch the show much but I caught some press about him and started following some of his stuff on youtube. He actually naturally sounds a lot like Scott. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

SpursforSix
11-16-2017, 03:24 PM
they should pick Corey Feldman

LOL.

SpursforSix
11-16-2017, 03:25 PM
And I could have sworn they just announced a new singer a month or two ago.

SpursforSix
11-16-2017, 03:26 PM
oh shit...that was 2016

Big Empty
11-16-2017, 04:05 PM
Dude nails the Early Core Stuff. Sounds JUST like Weiland. Good choice.

SpursforSix
11-16-2017, 04:23 PM
Dude nails the Early Core Stuff. Sounds JUST like Weiland. Good choice.

Yeah...I just listened to one of the songs. He does sound like him. Which is fine. But I guess it always bothers me a little when a cool band has a "unique" sounding singer. And then someone comes in and duplicates it.
But glad they're still doing their thing.

Sort of changing subjects...but with the internet and all of the damn talent shows, it kind of hammers home that great singers aren't that rare. And if anyone becomes particularly successful, it's probably more a matter of their connections or look than their talent. Or maybe what they were willing to do to get there.

Spurminator
11-16-2017, 05:34 PM
I mean basically the choice for a band like STP is:

- Hire a new singer that has a unique voice, put out new material that will only sell a few dozen copies, and tour with a greatest hits setlist where the songs don't sound like the Weiland versions.

or

- Hire a new singer that sounds like Weiland, put out new material that will only sell a few dozen copies, and tour with a greatest hits setlist where the songs sound like the Weiland versions.

If I was in their position, I'd opt for #2 every time. If I found a unique singer I really liked, I'd start a new band and call it something else.

Big Empty
11-16-2017, 06:46 PM
And I could have sworn they just announced a new singer a month or two ago.

There was a news article that it was John Borja, but the author was wrong. I posted it in here a while back.

Big Empty
11-16-2017, 06:50 PM
I mean basically the choice for a band like STP is:

- Hire a new singer that has a unique voice, put out new material that will only sell a few dozen copies, and tour with a greatest hits setlist where the songs don't sound like the Weiland versions.

or

- Hire a new singer that sounds like Weiland, put out new material that will only sell a few dozen copies, and tour with a greatest hits setlist where the songs sound like the Weiland versions.

If I was in their position, I'd opt for #2 every time. If I found a unique singer I really liked, I'd start a new band and call it something else. There are a lot of bands that kept the original band name who went on when the singer died. Weiland and his drug problems derailed a lot of tours over the years. I cant blame the rest of the band for keeping STP going and squeezing every cent out of it.

Spurtacular
11-03-2019, 12:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUwvhn7OFzY

FrostKing
11-04-2019, 02:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUwvhn7OFzY
Alimony forced him to work, the substances allowed him to cope with life on the road. He died from a lethal mix.

Spurtacular
11-04-2019, 07:15 PM
Alimony forced him to work, the substances allowed him to cope with life on the road. He died from a lethal mix.

Forced to work to "maintain his lifestyle". He was well enough off. He was just f'ing irresponsible and it cost him his life. This much I'll say though, substance addiction is real though.

FrostKing
11-04-2019, 09:13 PM
Forced to work to "maintain his lifestyle". He was well enough off. He was just f'ing irresponsible and it cost him his life. This much I'll say though, substance addiction is real though.
True. My general takeaway is he should have walked away for a bit after his brothers death and then when his parents got sick. But hey he's an artist. During difficult times they dive deeper into their work and with that comes drugs/booze

Also the video argues fans enabled him

He was on/he took so many variations of pills. That and the alcohol must have made using the bathroom hell

Spurtacular
11-04-2019, 09:16 PM
True. My general takeaway is he should have walked away for a bit after his brothers death and then when his parents got sick. But hey he's an artist. During difficult times they dive deeper into their work and with that comes drugs

Also the video argues fans enabled him

He was on/he took so many variations of pills. That and the alcohol must have made using the bathroom hell

The fans did. So did his shitty backing band, who no doubt wanted that lifestyle over working the drive-thru. There needed to be an intervention; but perhaps the guy had about a dozen of those in the past with many not taking. Sometimes the blame can only be spread so thick.

monosylab1k
01-10-2020, 09:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsJMnnKgNjg