PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Coaches Mt Rushmore?

100%duncan
12-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Who you got?
NBA FB page has: Pop, Phil, Red, Riley,

honorable mentions? Jim Carrey, Larry Brown, Spoelstra (or Lebron?), how do college legends fare in this

JoeTait75
12-04-2015, 10:27 AM
honorable mentions?

Jack Ramsey, Chuck Daly, Dick Motta, Bill Fitch.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-04-2015, 10:34 AM
Welp you nailed it with the top 4

Killakobe81
12-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Tough to argue with top 4.

Red was the pioneer
Phil was the master at mind games
Pop the best strategist
Riles the best motivator

RsxPiimp
12-04-2015, 10:53 AM
Riley, Pop, Phil and maybe Rudy T

spursistan
12-04-2015, 02:21 PM
Probably the most consensual all time list in Basketball debates..

Other than Kundla early 1950s Minneapolis titles, no other coach has won more than 2 Championships in league history..

Cry Havoc
12-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Who you got?
NBA FB page has: Pop, Phil, Red, Riley,

honorable mentions? Jim Carrey, Larry Brown, Spoelstra (or Lebron?), how do college legends fare in this

Wooden, Krzyzewski, Smith, Rupp

Knight would be up there but probably too controversial. Calhoun also honorable mention.

ambchang
12-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Daly was great, and very influential. His defense first concepts, along with ability to manage egos and personalities put him as a top flight level coach.

The following guys were influential, just not that great that will put them in the conversation.

Rudy Tomjonavich was influential, but wasn't very good (that idea of using a 3 as the ultimate weapon was a first from him).

D'antoni was influential in getting that European influence, but he wasn't very good at the actual coaching. His systems were deeply flawed, but his influence shouldn't be questioned.

Jack Ramsey with his insistence on conditioning.

Killakobe81
12-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Wooden, Krzyzewski, Smith, Rupp

Knight would be up there but probably too controversial. Calhoun also honorable mention.

Good list. I hate Coach K but no doubt he is legit

Cry Havoc
12-04-2015, 03:10 PM
Good list. I hate Coach K but no doubt he is legit

I mean, level with me here Killa. Are there any of the top 50 coaches in NCAA history that haven't done some really dastardly shit to recruit blue chips?

Killakobe81
12-04-2015, 03:15 PM
I mean, level with me here Killa. Are there any of the top 50 coaches in NCAA history that haven't done some really dastardly shit to recruit blue chips?

Probably not ...Even wooden who had the highest morale fiber of any coach i ever read about .I dont believe he did any dirt himself but there was a Bruin booster that helped recruit Kareem.
My issue with Coach K is just a few years ago he was speaking out against one and dones and Calipari.
So I thought wow, Coach K can win and recruit good players without one and dones.
Then his sanctimonious hypocritical ass has turned in to coach Cal South.
But the media sucks him off like he is some untouchable figure ...

Cry Havoc
12-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Probably not ...Even wooden who had the highest morale fiber of any coach i ever read about .I dont believe he did any dirt himself but there was a Bruin booster that helped recruit Kareem.
My issue with Coach K is just a few years ago he was speaking out against one and dones and Calipari.
So I thought wow, Coach K can win and recruit good players without one and dones.
Then his sanctimonious hypocritical ass has turned in to coach Cal South.
But the media sucks him off like he is some untouchable figure ...

The worst part about sports is that we conflate coaching or playing ability with character off the court. They are not related in any way, shape, or form. Particularly in college when "recruiting" is so closely tied to the success of a program.

BatManu20
12-04-2015, 03:47 PM

Killakobe81
12-04-2015, 03:54 PM
The worst part about sports is that we conflate coaching or playing ability with character off the court. They are not related in any way, shape, or form. Particularly in college when "recruiting" is so closely tied to the success of a program.

Normally I dont care about off-court shit heck, I defend Kobe. My point is dont act like you are holier than though when you got dirt under your finger nails.