PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan - Great Teammate Yet Again

BillMc
12-04-2015, 11:54 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/san-antonio-spurs/post/_/id/201/lamarcus-aldridge-overcomes-slow-start-credits-tim-duncan

LaMarcus Aldridge overcomes slow start, credits Tim Duncan

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- LaMarcus Aldridge (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2983/lamarcus-aldridge) missed his first seven shots in the San Antonio Spurs (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs)' 103-83 win Thursday night over the Memphis Grizzlies (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/mem/memphis-grizzlies), but rebounded to hit 7-of-8 down the stretch.

But throughout Aldridge’s early struggles, veteran forward Tim Duncan (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/215/tim-duncan) remained an uplifting force.“He was in my ear the whole first half, just saying, ‘Just stay with it. Don’t start getting passive. Just be patient with your shot. Keep looking for it,’” Aldridge said.
Aldridge heeded that advice, and it paid dividends as he finished with 18 points and three blocked shots.
“I thought LaMarcus did a great job of using variety,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “He got jumpers. He got down in the post and played. He ran the floor and sealed. He did a really good job of using variety in different offensive situations. He also played his ass off on defense, which nobody pays attention to. He was trying to block shots, was moving his feet and doing a good job.”
While the team’s implementation of Aldridge hasn’t gone quite as smoothly as expected, the power forward isn’t worried about missing out on personal accolades. Aldridge matched his season-low scoring output Wednesday during the club’s win over the Milwaukee Bucks (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/mil/milwaukee-bucks), contributing just six points on 3-of-10 shooting and his scoring average (14.8) is down from last season (23.4).
“It doesn’t really matter. It’s not about me,” Aldridge said. “It’s about the team, and the team’s been winning. So that’s all that matters, really.
Despite Aldridge’s early struggles, Popovich said “he’s everything we anticipated.”
Aldridge flashed glimpses of that in the second half to overcome a slow start. Once Aldridge caught fire in the second half, he cracked a smile after hitting a bucket off a Tony Parker (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1015/tony-parker) assist.
“[Tim Duncan] kept staying in my ear, and I wouldn’t smile,” Aldridge explained. “So he was getting frustrated with me. I made a shot. I gave him a smile, and that’s when he got kind of hype. But he’s been nothing but positive for me this whole process. He’s always been in my ear trying to tell me to be myself, be positive and it’s gonna come; just be patient. So tonight, it was evident in the game that he tried to keep me positive. Then when things turned, I think he was more happy that I started playing better than I was.”

Mr Bones
12-04-2015, 12:04 PM
Awesome

DarrinS
12-04-2015, 12:38 PM
The anti-Kobe

BatManu20
12-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Best Super Star teammate of all-time.

BatManu20
The anti-Kobe

Proxy
beautiful

Mnky
12-04-2015, 12:42 PM
GOAT :cry

silverblackfan
12-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Damn onions.

Old School 44
12-04-2015, 01:09 PM
That's why Pop and TD are so great. They know how to relate to people and they are so genuine about it!
Makes you want to play with them and for them.
:bobo

Nathan89
12-04-2015, 01:15 PM
"He ran the floor and sealed."

More of this please.

Fireball
12-04-2015, 01:18 PM
Sounding like a broken record, but despite his offensive struggles through stretches LMA works his off on defense ... and his presence on offense is a reason that TP somhow still gets to the basket ...

and Timmy ... GOAT

Nathan89
12-04-2015, 01:24 PM
When I went to the Phx game Tim was rebounding for the team but more so for Danny before the game. Danny also took time to rebound for Tim after awhile. Seemed like he was trying to get him going.

TDomination
12-04-2015, 01:32 PM
I have no more words to express how much i love having Duncan on this team. I am really going to miss him when he's gone.

"He ran the floor and sealed."

More of this please.

Yes please. Just like he did on the last second layup for parker to finish the 1st half. That was a beautiful seal.

Horse
12-04-2015, 01:34 PM
When speaking of GOAT I think being a great teammate should be considered. Timmy just keeps climbing that list. The media may never appreciate him like they should but by the time he's done he may be the GOAT.

TheDoctor
12-04-2015, 01:38 PM
That's why Pop and TD are so great. They know how to relate to people and they are so genuine about it!
Makes you want to play with them and for them.
:bobo

Their empathy tbh. It goes a long way.

sasaint
12-04-2015, 01:42 PM
Unfortunately, "teammate" and "leadership" are not stats, so the national media will never recognize or acknowledge the monumental greatness of Tim Duncan.

spursistan
12-04-2015, 02:00 PM
There will definitely come a moment deep in the playoffs when LMA freezes and go soft per par; at least we know he will have Timmy nearby to prod him and not Dame fucking Lillard..

SnakeBoy
12-04-2015, 02:05 PM
“It doesn’t really matter. It’s not about me,” Aldridge said. “It’s about the team, and the team’s been winning. So that’s all that matters, really.

freakin DIVA

Nathan89
12-04-2015, 02:14 PM
freakin DIVA

:lol Spurstalk shortbus is always complaining about something.

Dex
12-04-2015, 02:18 PM
Something to consider...now that LMA isn't expected to carry the load on offense and put up 20+ points a night in order for his team to have a chance to win...that gives him a lot more energy to expend on the defensive side of the floor. This may be the reason that we are seeing this new side of Aldridge, who coming in, was considered somewhat of a defensive liability, and instead has shown up as a defensive stalwart.

BillMc
12-04-2015, 02:25 PM
Something to consider...now that LMA isn't expected to carry the load on offense and put up 20+ points a night in order for his team to have a chance to win...that gives him a lot more energy to expend on the defensive side of the floor. This may be the reason that we are seeing this new side of Aldridge, who coming in, was considered somewhat of a defensive liability, and instead has shown up as a defensive stalwart.

Good point. This also applies to Timmy. With his shot attempts down Duncan's defense has gotten even better. Which is terrifying given he was 2nd Team All-Defense last year.

TDfan2007
12-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Good point. This also applies to Timmy. With his shot attempts down Duncan's defense has gotten even better. Which is terrifying given he was 2nd Team All-Defense last year.

This is a really good point. I haven't seen Timmy play defense like this since 2012-2013, when he could have easily won DPOY. It's been incredible to watch.

As for how he is with Aldridge, this should surprise nobody. He's arguably the greatest teammate of all time. Stephen Jackson, Antonio Daniels, Malik Rose, Brent Barry, Fab, David, Sean. All of those ex-players raved about Timmy.

Spur|n|Austin
12-04-2015, 03:02 PM
That article made me smile. Truly the GOAT.

Arcadian
12-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Meanwhile...
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--musyqn8R--/c_fit,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ykuwteohnwmec5ugugft.gif

tmtcsc
12-04-2015, 03:51 PM
Unfortunately, "teammate" and "leadership" are not stats, so the national media will never recognize or acknowledge the monumental greatness of Tim Duncan.

I think they are coming around. Tim is generally acknowledged as the Greatest PF of all time by the press. He even won an award for being the best teammate. I'm not sure it gets any better than that. The media attention he doesn't get is the type the fans and he don't want (trouble related). Our city has been extremely fortunate to have him as a representative.

When was the last time you heard him boast about being the best or wanting to be the best? When have we heard a story about him abusing teammates in practice and saying things like this: "You mother fuckers are soft as Charmin" or "is this the type of shit going on in these practices" ? He's been heard telling his teammates to "Get the fuck out of the way" during games when he wants to shoot.

EVAY
12-04-2015, 04:36 PM
Sounding like a broken record, but despite his offensive struggles through stretches LMA works his off on defense ... and his presence on offense is a reason that TP somhow still gets to the basket ...

and Timmy ... GOAT

Couldn't agree more...very well said. That seal function is HUGE for Tony's ability to finish at the rim, and it just wasn't there last year. Besides Parker being injured most of the season, the fact that Duncan moved more to the elbow to limit the extent to which he would get beat up down low meant that Tony was getting killed inside when he would try to go to the rim. Aldridge's presence in the post this year when Tony is driving is a monster plus for Tony's game.

Really good of Aldridge to credit Duncan too. Things are beginning to look up all around, for sure.

Thomas82
12-04-2015, 05:26 PM
TD is the best teammate ever....hands down!!

LoneStarState'sPride
12-04-2015, 08:32 PM
Meanwhile...
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--musyqn8R--/c_fit,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ykuwteohnwmec5ugugft.gif

Jesus :lmao

Silver&Black
12-04-2015, 08:44 PM
Damn onions.

I know right....:cry

I told you bastards to stop cutting onions in here.

Texas_Ranger
12-04-2015, 08:50 PM
Meanwhile...

He just shot this kind of retarded shot against the Hawks... he did hit the rim tho.

skulls138
12-04-2015, 09:12 PM
Damn onions.:lol

SAGirl
12-04-2015, 10:29 PM
There will definitely come a moment deep in the playoffs when LMA freezes and go soft per par; at least we know he will have Timmy nearby to prod him and not Dame fucking Lillard..
It is really significant how stuff like that can make a difference under pressure. Instead of having someone there wanting the spotlight and the highlight shots you will have there someone who keeps prodding you to not give up, keep fighting and will be truly happy when you break through.
:flag:

What an example.

100%duncan
12-04-2015, 10:38 PM
Cant imagine the spurs wothout tim