PDA

View Full Version : ITT: post as if you're a ST user at this same time of season in December... 2002

UNT Eagles 2016
12-04-2015, 08:06 PM
Don't think ST forums existed back then, but could you imagine the cliff jumping?

I'll start:

- Damn, another loss last night... Yao is going to be a wrecking force in this league for many years to come.

- Nobody is going to catch the Mavs, but this Sunday's game against Sacramento is going to hopefully allow us to gain some ground for the 2nd seed. Hope we don't lay another egg at home... after that we play the Mavs so that's a sure loss right there.

- Tim just doesn't have that killer instinct that the all-time greats do. This is what will ultimately separate him from the very good and all-time best players when it's all said and done. Can't believe he's letting David go out a loser like this. What an abomination. It's really a damn shame we can't take advantage of the Lakers' struggles, because we all know they're going to come together later in the year and be a very tough out in the playoffs, they're the three-time defending champions after all.

- Mavs are truly on another level of elite this season. Barring collapse or serious injuries, they're going to be impossible to beat going forward.

- Avril Lavigne is truly on another level of hot! Way more attractive than that overrated whore Britney Spears. :p:

KenMcCoy
12-04-2015, 08:14 PM
- Ginobili - 10 mins (0-1, 0 pts, 1 reb, 0 ast, 2 tov) This guy is horrible. Time to cut our losses, he'll never amount to anything.

daslicer
12-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Don't think ST forums existed back then, but could you imagine the cliff jumping?

I'll start:

- Damn, another loss last night... Yao is going to be a wrecking force in this league for many years to come.

- Nobody is going to catch the Mavs, but this Sunday's game against Sacramento is going to hopefully allow us to gain some ground for the 2nd seed. Hope we don't lay another egg at home... after that we play the Mavs so that's a sure loss right there.

- Tim just doesn't have that killer instinct that the all-time greats do. This is what will ultimately separate him from the very good and all-time best players when it's all said and done. Can't believe he's letting David go out a loser like this. What an abomination. It's really a damn shame we can't take advantage of the Lakers' struggles, because we all know they're going to come together later in the year and be a very tough out in the playoffs, they're the three-time defending champions after all.

- Mavs are truly on another level of elite this season. Barring collapse or serious injuries, they're going to be impossible to beat going forward.

- Avril Lavigne is truly on another level of hot! Way more attractive than that overrated whore Britney Spears. :p:

ST didn't exist back then but Spurs Report did. You didn't really have cliff jumpers back then but more so everybody was united with their hatred for the Lakers. I remember everybody feeling with the additions of Ginobili,Jax, and the improvement of Parker that the spurs would finally take out the Lakers.

benefactor
12-04-2015, 08:23 PM
I think I was still posting on the ESPN boards back then.

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
12-04-2015, 08:26 PM
When the fuck is Malone, Stockton and Hornacek gonna retire?
MJ is back, bet he drops 50 a game
That Matt Bonner kid won the slam dunk contest.. the next white chocolate?

GSH
12-04-2015, 08:26 PM
If you could be any kind of fruit or vegetable, what kind would it be and why? Post as if you are that fruit, and describe what it's like to be you.

Stop this kind of shit... just stop it.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-04-2015, 08:42 PM
ST didn't exist back then but Spurs Report did. You didn't really have cliff jumpers back then but more so everybody was united with their hatred for the Lakers. I remember everybody feeling with the additions of Ginobili,Jax, and the improvement of Parker that the spurs would finally take out the Lakers.

But Ginobili and Jax are just new versions of Antonio Daniels and Terry Porter, correct?

SpursFanInAustin
12-04-2015, 08:49 PM
I remember being at SR.com at the time (I didn't join ST.com until March 2003, when SA began to play well and get hot). I don't remember anyone saying anything bad about Timmy. In fact, most of the negativity was toward the supporting cast. No one trusted a 20 yr old Parker to come up big in the playoffs (he kinda didn't). Manu, who Spurs fans were high on due to the reports from the Italian league and from an Argentine poster, had resprained his ankle and could never get into a rhythm until around January '03 onward. Stephen Jackson showed flashes, but way too inconsistent and turned the ball over way too much. Steve Smith was still the starting 2-guard and was like "the RJ of 2002-03" and nicknamed "Herpes in the @$$" by one particular poster. We all complained about his 9 million dollar salary to average 9 ppg and being a matador on defense. Kevin Willis was getting minutes over Malik Rose at the time, and we were all frustrated to see Pop going with a 40 yr old veteran over a younger Malik who had just been given a 7 yr contract by SA earlier that summer. Speedy had torn his labrum and had surgery and was out 12 weeks and didn't return until the AS-break. Steve Kerr was getting the backup PG minutes.

Basically, I remember Spurs fans were upset that Pop was playing guys like Kerr, Willis, Smitty, and Ferry big minutes early in the season, and waiting for the younger guys (Parker, Manu, Jackson) to develop. I remember we struggled somewhat against playoff caliber teams like the Kings and Blazers but beat the Lakers sans Shaq. I remember the Mavs played really well early on but they too struggled against the elite teams out West head to head. I remember them blowing a 27 pt 4th qtr lead to the Lakers in late November that year and most of us thought the Mavs were overrated and overhyped after that game.

I remember that season very well like it was yesterday. We were all waiting for a spark, whether it'd be a trade for a Latrell Sprewell or for Pop to turn to either Jackson or Ginobili to replace Smitty in the lineup who was ineffective and way past his prime to be a starter. We were also worried about David suffering another late season back injury like he had been through the previous 2 seasons and not be healthy when it mattered in the playoffs. Remember Pop back then was hesitant to play rookies and younger players. He was very attached to his veteran players despite their lack of athleticism to compete with most other wing players on the other contending teams.

Mr. Body
12-04-2015, 09:05 PM
ST was around then. Spurs Report was still a thing.

A lot of talk that year about a TP(x2) backcourt, wasn't there? Terry Porter and Parker was TP2.

SpursFanInAustin
12-04-2015, 10:09 PM

A lot of talk that year about a TP(x2) backcourt, wasn't there? Terry Porter and Parker was TP2.

That was 2001-02...Terry Porter last played in May 2002.

Parker was only a 19 year old rookie, and Terry Porter was twice his age in his final season.

Porter also used to finish a lot of 4th quarter games that season and hit some big shots early in the year to help pull out wins, which I think led to his late season calf injury in March and he never could get going again like he had earlier in the season.

SpursFanInAustin
12-04-2015, 10:26 PM
I think the main concern with Spurs fans at the time was Tim Duncan's free agency looming in the summer of 2003 and be tempted to leave the Spurs after being convinced to resign back in 2000. If the Spurs had lost to the Lakers for the third time in a row, a lot of us Spurs fans I felt that he would not return after David Robinson retired and be tempted to join Tracy McGrady in Orlando

100%duncan
12-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Cant believe a fucking 19 yr old is starting for us

Spurtacular
12-04-2015, 10:35 PM
If I'm going back then, I'm probably talking about how the Kings are gonna win the championship that was robbed from them in 02. It's not like the Spurs were the favorites in the 03 season.

spurraider21
12-04-2015, 10:52 PM
http://preview.images.memegenerator.net/Instance/Preview?imageID=6673510&generatorTypeID=&panels=&text0=If%20OP%20stopped%20making%20threads&text1=that%27d%20be%20great&text2=&text3=

daslicer
12-05-2015, 01:30 AM
But Ginobili and Jax are just new versions of Antonio Daniels and Terry Porter, correct?

Everybody thought Jax and Manu were going to be better than those guys talent wise and help the spurs get over the hump against the Lakers. Daniels and Porter were crap against the Lakers in '02 and despite that the series was close. So there was a reason to be optimistic about Jax/Manu because everybody felt there was no way they could be worse than AD and Porter. Also everybody loved Tim he never got the blame for losing against the Lakers since he always had great games against them but it was the supporting cast that was hated for not coming through.

Back then we didn't really have cliff jumpers but you did have people who were skeptical about the spurs chances to win against the Lakers. Even the skeptical bunch didn't go nuts after regular season loses like you have now. Honestly the fan base was better back then because you had real fans unlike the band wagoners of today. The spurs had only won 1 title at that time and that title was not respected by the media due to Phil Jackson's asterisk crap. Duncan was also disrespected when he won his mvp awards by the media and opposing players. When you factor that all in being a spurs fan was not considered cool; people would even look at you in a strange way when you mentioned it. So if you were a spurs fan you tended to be a real fan of game and hence why you had better discussions back then with out the crazy cliff jumpers.

steeledl
12-05-2015, 02:20 AM
Think I was on aol boards back then. Idk

Budkin
12-05-2015, 02:36 AM
That was the season I started posting on Spurs Central which became Club Spurs eventually. A couple guys over there were also posting here once it opened (ace3g being one of them) which is how I found ST.

12-05-2015, 02:51 AM
Weren't you like 6 in 2002?

UNT Eagles 2016
12-05-2015, 05:20 AM
Weren't you like 6 in 2002?

turned 9 in early 2003

But I have a pretty vivid and comprehensive photographic memory of my childhood from age 5 and up... I pretty much live in the past to be happy because my life has been shit since 2009 (start of high school).

SpursIndonesia
12-05-2015, 07:04 AM

It was Fullsportpress at the beginning, wasn't it ? I was posting a lot at SR.com as gunawanspurs, having perhaps around 60 thousands post over there. Remember Dusty, DizzG, etc. Damn how time flies by so fast, start posting in the Spurs forum at around the turn of century, 15 years later and yet still in love with this team.

UZER
12-05-2015, 07:33 AM
Even though ST didn't exist yet, Medvedenko was still posting on it.

lefty20
12-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Tony never passes to Manu and he never gives him a high-five. Trade him now.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Who is this Bill Land guy who is taking over a third of Joel's calls so far this year? He sucks. And what's worse? They almost always put him next to Sean Elliott whenever Elliott is doing Spurs games. We need to get Sean back from ESPN asap, Quinn Buckner needs to go, and Land needs to go. The Land/Elliott pairing is just awful and would never last if Joel was gone... Joel needs to return to calling almost all of the games like the last 3 years, and we need a much better 2nd option than Land.

kaji157
12-06-2015, 12:10 AM

I'll start:

Hello, i am from argentina and i am going to start following the spurs because of Emanuel Ginobili.
He is going through a rough stretch right now because of the ankle injury he suffered in the world cup but gonna love him come playoff time.
The guy is a winner and a leader.

Drachen
12-06-2015, 12:18 AM
If I'm going back then, I'm probably talking about how the Kings are gonna win the championship that was robbed from them in 02. It's not like the Spurs were the favorites in the 03 season.

There was no cliff jumping because we weren't supposed to do SHIT that year. It was branded our rebuilding year by everyone (media, the franchise, etc). Then toward the end of the season, all the stories were how the spurs were doing so well in a rebuilding year.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-06-2015, 04:55 AM
There was no cliff jumping because we weren't supposed to do SHIT that year. It was branded our rebuilding year by everyone (media, the franchise, etc). Then toward the end of the season, all the stories were how the spurs were doing so well in a rebuilding year.
Really? I thought 2004 was supposed to be the rebuilding year, considering David retired, and 8 other guys left (including several key rotation players and all the old guys except Kevin Willis). I don't think anyone expected the Spurs to not at least be in the playoff mix in 2003. In 02-03, the Spurs started out 12–9 and were 19–13 at the end of the calendar year after road losses to the lowly Knicks and then the Wizards on New Year's Eve. Most people at around that time had the Spurs in the 4-7 seed range and likely first round fodder with a second round ceiling.

bdictjames
12-06-2015, 05:00 AM
Dang, are the Lakers gonna four-peat? Nobody can ever stop Shaq and Kobe, what a force. Can two players be top 10 of all-time?

I believe Tim Duncan can carry this team. If anyone can do it, Timmy can! It may take us a couple of years, before Manu and Parker develop, but we will be a force in the West for sure! I hope the Admiral stays healthy.

Can someone remind me why we still have Steve Kerr? Lol.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-06-2015, 05:07 AM
Dang, are the Lakers gonna four-peat? Nobody can ever stop Shaq and Kobe, what a force. Can two players be top 10 of all-time?

I believe Tim Duncan can carry this team. If anyone can do it, Timmy can! It may take us a couple of years, before Manu and Parker develop, but we will be a force in the West for sure! I hope the Admiral stays healthy.

Can someone remind me why we still have Steve Kerr? Lol.
Stephen Jackson sucks. His shooting form is awful, he's a turnover machine, and he doesn't seem to fit the Spurs' character model. Keep starting Steve Smith until this Emanuel kid gets good. I'm looking forward to meeting young Emanuel Gee-noh-bee-lee at Ihop next month.

Duncanforthree
12-06-2015, 05:14 AM
This Ginobli guy is getting really good at drawing charges. I think it's all that long hair he has. Hope he never goes bald.

Hemotivo
12-06-2015, 06:47 AM
2002/2003
Manu
http://www.nba.com/media/espanol/ManuRod170web.gif
http://images.ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2003-Manu.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/81/8e/8d/818e8d966c0865de27bba59d84f60616.jpg

Drachen
12-06-2015, 12:19 PM
2002/2003
Manu
http://www.nba.com/media/espanol/ManuRod170web.gif
http://images.ftw.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/2003-Manu.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/81/8e/8d/818e8d966c0865de27bba59d84f60616.jpg

Speedy is saying "this is where your head will look like mine"

Drachen
12-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Really? I thought 2004 was supposed to be the rebuilding year, considering David retired, and 8 other guys left (including several key rotation players and all the old guys except Kevin Willis). I don't think anyone expected the Spurs to not at least be in the playoff mix in 2003. In 02-03, the Spurs started out 12–9 and were 19–13 at the end of the calendar year after road losses to the lowly Knicks and then the Wizards on New Year's Eve. Most people at around that time had the Spurs in the 4-7 seed range and likely first round fodder with a second round ceiling.

I'm not saying that anyone expected them to miss the playoffs, just that we weren't going anywhere that year (first round fodder). We were supposed to be rebuilding on the fly (toward the end of that year and definitely after the title came all of those "we don't rebuild, we reload" articles and ads)

TheGreatYacht
12-06-2015, 02:38 PM
I don't know why, but this Matt Barnes kid looks like he'll shit on us 13 years from now....

SpursFanInAustin
12-06-2015, 08:00 PM
I'm not saying that anyone expected them to miss the playoffs, just that we weren't going anywhere that year (first round fodder). We were supposed to be rebuilding on the fly (toward the end of that year and definitely after the title came all of those "we don't rebuild, we reload" articles and ads)

A lot of media and fans pretty much had Lakers and Kings penciled in for a rematch in the WCFs. I believe there might have been some cliff diving after the Spurs lost that first road game of their first ever rodeo road trip to Minnesota.

Like I said before, a lot of our concerns were things like Duncan's pending free agency in the summer of 03, and everyone's contract except for Malik Rose, Bruce Bowen along with Parker and Manu's rookie contracts. We weren't sure if Duncan was going to bolt and San Antonio would be in rebuilding stage. It wasn't until around the AS-break (right around the time Spurs began to play well) that we felt confident Duncan would stay, especially around the time of March 6, 2003 when the Nets came to town in SA and rumors were beginning to circulate that Duncan was going to stay in SA and help recruit Jason Kidd to SA.

Frank Dux
12-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Sitting at a table at the Backroom in Austin with my buddies watching games.

"There's a good chance I'll legitimately cry when D-Rob retires."
"Oh, dude. I'm definitely going to cry. Full-on tears."
"Yeah, there's no way we don't cry."

That's pretty much how every game went.

gospursgojas
12-07-2015, 01:05 AM
Just scored some 5 dollar tickets for when Shaq and Kobe come to town. Sec 305 Row 85....Anyone know how the parking is at the arena?

travis2
12-07-2015, 10:20 AM
I remember being at SR.com at the time (I didn't join ST.com until March 2003, when SA began to play well and get hot).

ST.com started in its current form around then. (I remember being one of the pre-release betas...checking out functionality, readability, things like that)

Steve Smith was still the starting 2-guard and was like "the RJ of 2002-03" and nicknamed "Herpes in the @$$" by one particular poster.

Oh, God :rollin I haven't seen the acronym HITA in years...

eric365
12-07-2015, 10:27 AM
wassuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup?

Blake
12-07-2015, 06:20 PM
"there's a red headed sharp shooter in Toronto that would be a perfect fit for the Spurs. He spaces the floor with his 3s and is awesome on his plus minus stats. Matthew Bonner, iirc"