PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Colangelo on Kobe taking an Olympics spot at expense of Kawhi/PG

spursistan
12-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Imagine if this travesty happens :lmao..Is this dude conditioning the basketball public/media for it? :(...

On sacrificing a spot for Bryant based largely on the sentimental component and the fact that a) the 12th man won’t play much and b) Team USA will be heavily favored to win gold regardless of who fills that spot …

“Let’s just put it this way: on one hand, you have what you just proposed. On the other hand, if someone is left off the team, like Kawhi Leonard or Paul George — and I’m just using names — for that purpose, then you have to weigh that fairness, to some degree. That’s all. So it’s not an easy call, and it’s one that I don’t have to make for quite some time. And I’m going to stick to that. I’ve got plenty of time. With out further ado ...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2015/12/04/kobe-bryant-2016-rio-olympics-jerry-colangelo/76794434/

FuzzyLumpkins
12-05-2015, 02:52 PM
I've hated Colangelo for his kiss the ring routine with Popovich last decade. It does not surprise me that toad would value something other than winning.

midnightpulp
12-05-2015, 02:55 PM
I'm all for Kirby replacing Kawhi. There's enough wing depth to compensate (KD, Melo, George, Harden, Lebron, etc) and I'd hate to see Kawhi get injured playing in an amateur tournament.

spursistan
12-05-2015, 02:58 PM
the whole quote sounds like "testing the waters" with the utterly ridiculous and shameful notion of including a bottom barrel washed up has heen at the expense of two top 10 players of the league in an Olympics year..Complete joke to even entertain the thought...And Kawhi isn't 12th man guy by any mean..

Mr Bones
12-05-2015, 03:07 PM
The fact that Kobe would even request a spot shows how delusional & selfish he is. He should attend as a retired player and root for the team...

hater
12-05-2015, 03:07 PM
Lol yeah Kawhi is no 12th man. He was one of the best players last time team US had training imo

SpursFan86
12-05-2015, 03:33 PM
I'm all for Kirby replacing Kawhi. There's enough wing depth to compensate (KD, Melo, George, Harden, Lebron, etc) and I'd hate to see Kawhi get injured playing in an amateur tournament.

While I agree with what you're saying, I think playing/practicing with all-world caliber players and coaches for an entire summer can really do wonders for a player's development. If I had to choose, I'd still want Kawhi to be a part of the 2016 team.

Obstructed_View
12-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Colangelo fucked Bruce Bowen out of a spot on the team. I expect him to do the same to Kawhi. Fine by me. It's more fun to root against the US in basketball.

Stand
12-05-2015, 03:52 PM
It would be beyond fucked for him to put Kobe on the team Paul George after broke his leg in half playing for a spot on the team. If that is how Colangelo is going to roll then I don't want him anywhere near Kawhi.

SpursRock20
12-05-2015, 03:55 PM
Removing an arguably top 5 in the world level player in Kawhi for a sentimental spot for Kobe (maybe top 200 player) would be ridiculous. The best of the best should play in the Olympics, let's keep it that way.

nowitzkikopf
12-05-2015, 04:02 PM
what a fucking joke- suggesting that PG or Kawhi are the 12th roster spot is ridiculous. both of those guys are top5/6 players and mvp candidates. if kobe is included for sentimental value, those should be last names to get scratched. plus doesn't Pop have a say now? that should bring some sense back into USA basketball

EVAY
12-05-2015, 04:34 PM
The fact that Kobe would even request a spot shows how delusional & selfish he is. He should attend as a retired player and root for the team...

This

8FOR!3
12-05-2015, 04:38 PM
While I agree with what you're saying, I think playing/practicing with all-world caliber players and coaches for an entire summer can really do wonders for a player's development. If I had to choose, I'd still want Kawhi to be a part of the 2016 team.

I agree, some guys have really taken their game to the next level following the Olympics.

SPURt
12-05-2015, 05:21 PM
If a legacy spot goes to anyone it should be Timmy. He would actually contribute.

SPURt
12-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Furthermore, if we are putting guys on the team because they are American legends I would bet Jordan has more in the tank now than Kobe.

letmk
12-05-2015, 05:29 PM
The whole thing is a farce to begin with. It's not like KB is no longer an elite player (yet still a top 20-30 player). He is basically among the worst players other than some roster fillers. To say he is 300th best player is a compliment nowadays. It just shows how selfish, delusional and attention-whore he is.

DJR210
12-05-2015, 05:39 PM
:lol Why would this faggot even consider leaving off his best defensive and arguably best offensive option for some has been faggot?

Parsons, Love, DeRozan, Plumlee.. At least one makes the team, and should be the first place Colangelo starts looking for a potential sympathy spot.

rasuo214
12-05-2015, 05:49 PM
PG getting screwed after breaking his leg would be really messed up. KB wanting to take a spot from someone more deserving is straight up selfish. Also why would Melo be a lock? Durant, Lebron, Kawhi, and PG are all better than him.

aal04
12-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Tim Hardaway gave up his spot for Magic back in the day... And Timbug was rewarded later down the road with a stint.

TheGreatYacht
12-05-2015, 05:52 PM
It's more fun to root against the US in basketball.
Tbh tbh

TrainOfThought5
12-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Colangelo fucked Bruce Bowen out of a spot on the team. I expect him to do the same to Kawhi. Fine by me. It's more fun to root against the US in basketball.

Sad but true

FkLA
12-05-2015, 06:22 PM
Bowen never deserved a spot on Team USA.

Sean Cagney
12-05-2015, 06:30 PM

As much as I liked Bruce Bowen I agree, he is not nearly the two way player Leonard is either. Bowen was a great defender but not a Team USA player.

loveforthegame
12-05-2015, 06:43 PM
The decision is tough enough without adding this embarrassing possibility.

A lot of guys are going to be left off who are deserving because of the limited roster spots. But to be left off to let Bryant have a last dance? That's all kinds of awful. Ugh.

Spurtacular
12-05-2015, 06:48 PM

Yea, I guess. Why risk rings for that.

Spurtacular
12-05-2015, 06:50 PM
“Let’s just put it this way: on one hand, you have what you just proposed. On the other hand, if someone is left off the team, like Kawhi Leonard or Paul George — and I’m just using names — for that purpose, then you have to weigh that fairness, to some degree. That’s all. So it’s not an easy call, and it’s one that I don’t have to make for quite some time. And I’m going to stick to that. I’ve got plenty of time. With out further ado ...

That's especially a slap in the face to Paul George for all he's sacrificed for USA basketball.

Kawhitstorm
12-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Tim Hardaway gave up his spot for Magic back in the day... And Timbug was rewarded later down the road with a stint.

Magic was still an All-Star level player, meanwhile Kirby is quite possibly the worst starter in the league.:lol

UZER
12-05-2015, 07:18 PM
CIA Pop /blue

UZER
12-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Kobe is one damn selfish dude.

SAGirl
12-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Removing an arguably top 5 in the world level player in Kawhi for a sentimental spot for Kobe (maybe top 200 player) would be ridiculous. The best of the best should play in the Olympics, let's keep it that way.
I would not consider Kobe even top 200. Let me put it this way, I'd rather take Simmons in my team than Kobe. Colangelo just opening the door for leaving Kobe out, I read it as him stating he would nit leave a Paul George or a Kawhi Leonard fir Kobe. He just didn't want to shit on Kobe publicly and maybe just opening the door for Kobe himself to bow out.

BillMc
12-05-2015, 07:33 PM
That's especially a slap in the face to Paul George for all he's sacrificed for USA basketball.

+100000

There is, I suppose, precedent for this. Larry Bird was definitely washed up by the time of the original Dream Team, and Magic was out of the league because of HIV (at that time considered worse than today). Yet, they made the team over Isiah Thomas and Dominique Wilkins to name a few. Everybody wanted the Bird-Magic "goodbye" tour. Looks like Kobe is lobbying for that memorable ending, rather than just playing out the string shooting 30% on a horrible Lakers team. Looks like JC may give it to him.

Kawhitstorm
12-05-2015, 07:53 PM
I would not consider Kobe even top 200. Let me put it this way, I'd rather take Simmons in my team than Kobe. Colangelo just opening the door for leaving Kobe out, I read it as him stating he would nit leave a Paul George or a Kawhi Leonard fir Kobe. He just didn't want to shit on Kobe publicly and maybe just opening the door for Kobe himself to bow out.

It would be funny ass hell if Kobe got invited to camp but got cut by Pop. I would like to see the expression on Pop's face when reports ask him why Kawhi/George made the team over Kobe.

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/gregg-popovich-shakes-his-head.gif

Kawhitstorm
12-05-2015, 07:55 PM
+100000

There is, I suppose, precedent for this. Larry Bird was definitely washed up by the time of the original Dream Team, and Magic was out of the league because of HIV (at that time considered worse than today). Yet, they made the team over Isiah Thomas and Dominique Wilkins to name a few. Everybody wanted the Bird-Magic "goodbye" tour. Looks like Kobe is lobbying for that memorable ending, rather than just playing out the string shooting 30% on a horrible Lakers team. Looks like JC may give it to him.

Those were under different circumstance. That was the original Dream Team & the mission was to assemble a team of legends from present & past. Kobe has already played in the Olympics & he was actually doing a whole lot of nothing in 2012, tbh.

Bynumite
12-05-2015, 08:00 PM

Jim losing to "amateurs" and bronze medal withstanding :toast

Tuddy
12-05-2015, 09:14 PM
LOL top 5 player in the league v one having the worst season in nba history

cjw
12-05-2015, 09:33 PM
And Kawhi isn't 12th man guy by any mean..

This - Jerry mentioned Kawhi and George because both certainly will be on the team. He didn't want to throw a borderline guy out there.

SnakeBoy
12-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm for anything that keeps Kawhi in the gym adding more and more to his game.

Spurtacular
12-05-2015, 10:19 PM
+100000

1. Some might argue Bird/Magic over Nique/Thomas were the better picks even then.
2. Bird/Magic hadn't been on previous Olympic teams; and their was symbolism to them finally being on a team.
3. The team was to be the most legendary team of all-time; don't know how you do that without Bird/Magic.
4. What does USA basketball owe Kobe? Nothing really. This is a decision about money. One could argue the Bird/Magic thing was about money as well.

Aztecfan03
12-05-2015, 11:25 PM
what a fucking joke- suggesting that PG or Kawhi are the 12th roster spot is ridiculous. both of those guys are top5/6 players and mvp candidates. if kobe is included for sentimental value, those should be last names to get scratched. plus doesn't Pop have a say now? that should bring some sense back into USA basketball
when you consider durant and lebron at the same position, one of kawhi/pg has to at least be on the bubble.

apalisoc_9
12-05-2015, 11:29 PM
Paul George and Kawhi has played better than Durant.

Goerge for example has bigger offensive.responsibility than Durant himself.:lol

spursistan
12-05-2015, 11:37 PM
Kobe is going to start at Allstar Game andd take an Olympics spot :lmao

kaji157
12-05-2015, 11:40 PM

i concur

apalisoc_9
12-05-2015, 11:42 PM
Its a smart move by colangelo though. He basically said hes not going to pick kobe. Kawhi and George have both played like a top 5 player in the last 21 games so no one would have a problem with kobe not making it.

DMC
12-06-2015, 12:07 AM
The league is making a killing off of Bryant, else they'd shed themselves of him. The NBA being tied in with the Olympics is a joke to begin with, because now the Mens Basketball team is a bunch of multi-millionaires. The entire Olympics has been made a marketing campaign for the NBA since the Dream Team.

But before that, which voted in All Star will take a seat so Kobe can start or will Kobe be voted in for old time's sake?

If Kobe is in the AS game, I'll never watch another.

Othyus Lalanne
12-06-2015, 06:55 AM

I would love to see him destroyed out there or be benched because he is a liability.

james evans
12-06-2015, 07:47 PM
my thought's exactly. I know it sounds selfish, but I"m sure Leonard isn't worried about it and I don't want to lose him for the year if he gets injured in some bullshit olympics

james evans
12-06-2015, 07:51 PM
+100000

I had no problem with Bird and magic going because they had never been to the olympics. That was a lifetime achievement. Stockton and Mullin took Wilkins and Thomas' spot. Laettnar took Shaq's spot and pippen took Worthy's. Not saying the 1992 team wasn't great, because they were, but stockton, pippen, mullin, and lateenar did not belond on that team. Pippen was there strictly because of Jordan. We know the Thomas story. Mullin had did good things with GS at the time, but he was no Wilkins and Laettnar was just a product of a system and shitty college officiating.

Mr Bones
12-06-2015, 08:22 PM
I had no problem with Bird and magic going because they had never been to the olympics. That was a lifetime achievement. Stockton and Mullin took Wilkins and Thomas' spot. Laettnar took Shaq's spot and pippen took Worthy's. Not saying the 1992 team wasn't great, because they were, but stockton, pippen, mullin, and lateenar did not belond on that team. Pippen was there strictly because of Jordan. We know the Thomas story. Mullin had did good things with GS at the time, but he was no Wilkins and Laettnar was just a product of a system and shitty college officiating.

I think you're selling Pippen short here. The season before the Olympics he finished averaging 21 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 7 apg, 2.1 spg, & 1.1 bpg.

Worthy that year averaged 19.9 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 4.7 apg, 1.4 spg, & 0.4 bpg. Pippen's FG% was 50.9% compared to Worthy's 44.7%. Pippen also had a higher 3pt% and was a better defender.

I like Worthy, but it's hard to agree that Pippen "stole" his spot.

ajh18
12-06-2015, 08:41 PM
I think you're selling Pippen short here. The season before the Olympics he finished averaging 21 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 7 apg, 2.1 spg, & 1.1 bpg.

Worthy that year averaged 19.9 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 4.7 apg, 1.4 spg, & 0.4 bpg. Pippen's FG% was 50.9% compared to Worthy's 44.7%. Pippen also had a higher 3pt% and was a better defender.

Pippen also dominated the advanced stats in that comparison. PER (21.5 vs 16.7), VORP (6.8 vs 1.5), WS/48 (.192 vs .070) all with a slightly lower usage% (24.6 vs 25.4).

Kawhitstorm
12-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Pippen also dominated the advanced stats in that comparison. PER (21.5 vs 16.7), VORP (6.8 vs 1.5), WS/48 (.192 vs .070) all with a slightly lower usage% (24.6 vs 25.4).

He must have also forgotten about the 91 finals where Pippen outplayed Worthy & locked up Magic. The two people that were robbed were Isiah/Shaq by Stockton/Laettner:lol

TheSullyMonster
12-06-2015, 11:13 PM
Laettner/Shaq, okay. Stockton/Thomas? I dunno. Stockton wasn't exactly a scrub.

Venti Quattro
12-06-2015, 11:57 PM
If it's between Kobe and Kawhi and Paul George, Kawhi and Paul George should get the nod so America can beat the shit out of the rest of the world once more

SouthernFried
12-07-2015, 12:07 AM
I don't want Kawhi playing in this. But, he should be at least picked for it, unquestionably.

Then he could give it to Kobe as a sympathy gesture. Best of both worlds...lol

cjw
12-07-2015, 12:13 AM
Would be way more fun if you could enter multiple teams into the basketball tournament like you can in many once-in-four-year sports (like bobsledding).

Would help even the playing field and how fun would it be to have USA vs. USA in the gold medal game? A real All Star game.

Obstructed_View
12-07-2015, 12:06 PM
Laettner/Shaq, okay. Stockton/Thomas? I dunno. Stockton wasn't exactly a scrub.

Agreed.

I'd love to have seen Zeke on that team, but he made his fucking bed. Even Magic couldn't come to Isiah's defense when the time came.

Also, anyone who ever equates Stockton's position on that team with Laettner's shouldn't be allowed to call themselves a basketball fan.

But really, fuck Shaq. He hadn't done anything at LSU to deserve to be on that team. Putting him on the 50 greatest list was a travesty at the time too.

Obstructed_View
12-07-2015, 12:07 PM
The league is making a killing off of Bryant, else they'd shed themselves of him. The NBA being tied in with the Olympics is a joke to begin with, because now the Mens Basketball team is a bunch of multi-millionaires. The entire Olympics has been made a marketing campaign for the NBA since the Dream Team.

All they see is the number of Kobe jerseys sold. Somebody's losing a spot tbh.

Obstructed_View
12-07-2015, 12:16 PM

Colangelo and Kryzewski fucking called him, dude. They asked him to come out. They said they needed him. They made statements about how they were going to build a TEAM instead of a group of superstars and they needed a glue guy to play defense and fit in his role and help the TEAM because they were struggling and they used his name, specifically. Then after Bowen came out, worked his ass off and did everything right, they made all their public statements, and they cut him three days before the worlds started.

I really don't think deserve is the right word.

travis2
12-07-2015, 02:08 PM
If a legacy spot goes to anyone it should be Timmy. He would actually contribute.

Tim wouldn't take it. After getting butt-f**ked by FIBA refs/rules many years ago, he vowed never to play international ball again.

SPURt
12-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Tim wouldn't take it. After getting butt-f**ked by FIBA refs/rules many years ago, he vowed never to play international ball again.
I think Tim might consider it, especially if Kawhi is going.

KL2
12-07-2015, 07:03 PM
That'd be retarded, I'm not sure how much longer pp had on the NBA I remember hearing his health was declining, him and and Leonard need a medal togethe . He extended his contact but you never know

Buddy Mignon
12-07-2015, 07:13 PM
http://static4.depositphotos.com/1015060/446/i/950/depositphotos_4467140-Salt-spilled-from-shaker.jpg

Buddy Mignon
12-07-2015, 07:26 PM
It would be funny ass hell if Kobe got invited to camp but got cut by Pop. I would like to see the expression on Pop's face when reports ask him why Kawhi/George made the team over Kobe.

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/gregg-popovich-shakes-his-head.gif

Pop doesn't have the balls.

james evans
12-07-2015, 08:50 PM

If magic and bird can get in for lifetime achievements, then how does pippen, who had played only 4 years up to that point, get in over wilkins? And you're mistaken. The team was picked BEFORE THE 91-92 season started. Wilkins wasn't even picked. He was injured in January of that season afterwards tearing his achilles. Stacey Augmon had to replace him in the slam dunk contest that year. There is nothing anyone can post to convince the world that pippen after his 4th season deserved to be on that olympic team over Wilkins or Worthy up to that poiint in his career. But since you brought up the averages, the 90-91 season, wilkins afveraged 26 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 assists to Pippen's 17, 7, and 6.

james evans
12-07-2015, 08:55 PM
He must have also forgotten about the 91 finals where Pippen outplayed Worthy & locked up Magic. The two people that were robbed were Isiah/Shaq by Stockton/Laettner:lol
First of all worthy was hurt. He and scott both. Years and years of finals and playoffs caught up with them. 2nd, no one "locked up" Magic. He just held him better than Jordan. The bulls won 4-1, but still 2 of those wins were very close with one of them going into OT in which pippen fouled out. I watched the same finals back then that you did hahaha. cmon now, let's not rewrite history. There is no way up to 1991 you can say pippne had a better career or ANY season better than wilkins. :lol . That's nonsense. Bottom line, he got in because of jordan. simple as that. And I love pippen. I patterned my game after his game. but pippen after 4 years isn't the great pippen we all know after his career was over. he got better

Kawhitstorm
12-07-2015, 09:59 PM
First of all worthy was hurt. He and scott both. Years and years of finals and playoffs caught up with them. 2nd, no one "locked up" Magic. He just held him better than Jordan. The bulls won 4-1, but still 2 of those wins were very close with one of them going into OT in which pippen fouled out. I watched the same finals back then that you did hahaha. cmon now, let's not rewrite history. There is no way up to 1991 you can say pippne had a better career or ANY season better than wilkins. :lol . That's nonsense. Bottom line, he got in because of jordan. simple as that. And I love pippen. I patterned my game after his game. but pippen after 4 years isn't the great pippen we all know after his career was over. he got better

Bruh, they selected Pippen b/c he was on the rise & Worthy was on a decline along w/ Worthy not being able to defend on the perimeter. Nique didn't get selected b/c he was a gunner which is something the team didn't need. Only Bird got a spot based on his legacy, Magic was still in his prime. Pippen is a richman's Iggy who also played for Team USA b/c of his intangible/all-around game.

james evans
12-07-2015, 10:42 PM
Bruh, they selected Pippen b/c he was on the rise & Worthy was on a decline along w/ Worthy not being able to defend on the perimeter. Nique didn't get selected b/c he was a gunner which is something the team didn't need. Only Bird got a spot based on his legacy, Magic was still in his prime. Pippen is a richman's Iggy who also played for Team USA b/c of his intangible/all-around game.
Bird was selected for legacy, i agree with it, MAGIC WAS NOT IN HIS PRIME IN 91 . cmon man. u can't be serious. There was talk of him retiring after game 5 of the 91 finals in his interview with Ahmad Rashad on the court right after the game. This was months before the HIV announcement. He had a lot of years left, but he wasn't in his prime. As for wilkins being a gunner, I'm not saying he wasn't, but he only took 2 more shots per game than Chris Mullin, who I felt was a gunner also Don Nelson's run and gun system. How was Wilkins a gunner and Mullin wasn't? Exactly what was there to defend on the perimiter? They coasted on all of those games. The team was still great without worthy, wilkins, thomas, and shaq, but Thomas and Shaq weren't the only ones robbed. People just overlook pippen being on the team for what he became, but back then, Pippen wasn't even a perinial all star. He had only made 1 team and no all nba teams. Seriously though, how old do you think I am? Do you think I wasn't around during this era?

Buddy Mignon
12-07-2015, 10:48 PM
If magic and bird can get in for lifetime achievements, then how does pippen, who had played only 4 years up to that point, get in over wilkins? And you're mistaken. The team was picked BEFORE THE 91-92 season started. Wilkins wasn't even picked. He was injured in January of that season afterwards tearing his achilles. Stacey Augmon had to replace him in the slam dunk contest that year. There is nothing anyone can post to convince the world that pippen after his 4th season deserved to be on that olympic team over Wilkins or Worthy up to that poiint in his career. But since you brought up the averages, the 90-91 season, wilkins afveraged 26 points, 9 rebounds, and 3 assists to Pippen's 17, 7, and 6.

And Pippen didn't even make the all-star team that year. Wilkins and Zeke should have been on that team no matter what.

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-07-2015, 10:50 PM

This

Buddy Mignon
12-07-2015, 10:51 PM

Only time they've lost is when two Spurs led the team.

bic50
12-07-2015, 11:13 PM
What a joke. Keep kobe off. Let the players that actually deserve to be there keep their spot.

Kawhitstorm
12-08-2015, 01:07 AM
Bird was selected for legacy, i agree with it, MAGIC WAS NOT IN HIS PRIME IN 91 . cmon man. u can't be serious. There was talk of him retiring after game 5 of the 91 finals in his interview with Ahmad Rashad on the court right after the game. This was months before the HIV announcement. He had a lot of years left, but he wasn't in his prime. As for wilkins being a gunner, I'm not saying he wasn't, but he only took 2 more shots per game than Chris Mullin, who I felt was a gunner also Don Nelson's run and gun system. How was Wilkins a gunner and Mullin wasn't? Exactly what was there to defend on the perimiter? They coasted on all of those games. The team was still great without worthy, wilkins, thomas, and shaq, but Thomas and Shaq weren't the only ones robbed. People just overlook pippen being on the team for what he became, but back then, Pippen wasn't even a perinial all star. He had only made 1 team and no all nba teams. Seriously though, how old do you think I am? Do you think I wasn't around during this era?

How in the hell is Magic not in his prime in 91 when he finished 2nd in MVP voting only behind Jordan & had won the MVP the season before.:lmao

Pippen in 91 was the equivalent of Kawhi last season (instead of winning FMVP he made the All-Star team the season before in 89-90). Kawhi didn't make the All-Star team or All-NBA team last season but made the All-NBA defense team & was the best young wing player just like Pippen in 90-91.

As far as Nique/Mullins, the only pure shooter outside of broken down Bird was Mullins. It was Bird that stole Nique's spot.

james evans
12-08-2015, 01:27 AM
How in the hell is Magic not in his prime in 91 when he finished 2nd in MVP voting only behind Jordan & had won the MVP the season before.:lmao

Pippen in 91 was the equivalent of Kawhi last season (instead of winning FMVP he made the All-Star team the season before in 89-90). Kawhi didn't make the All-Star team or All-NBA team last season but made the All-NBA defense team & was the best young wing player just like Pippen in 90-91.

As far as Nique/Mullins, the only pure shooter outside of broken down Bird was Mullins. It was Bird that stole Nique's spot.
Jordan won mvp of the league in 98 at 35 years old. Please don't tell me you believe jordan in 98 was in his prime..

Mr Bones
12-08-2015, 03:31 AM
Still, any talk of Pippen, Worthy, 'Nique, & Mullins is a plausible basketball conversation. Kobe is statistically one of the worst players in the NBA this year, and he was pretty awful last season too. No realistic argument can even be made for him going to the Olympics over an average player, let alone a top 15 player in the league.

apalisoc_9
12-08-2015, 03:42 AM
Any spurs fan who thinks kawhi is top 15 is not a true spursfan..when you have sean ellipt tying his hardest to prove he is top 5 and you still have idiots who call him top 15, the same idiots who said alrdige was going to be better. Kawhi and George are both playing top 4 level.basketball

Oh God please rid those forum of mainstream average PPG fans...Vanilla fans, please rid of them.

dabom
12-08-2015, 03:43 AM
Any spurs fan who thinks kawhi is top 15 is not a true spursfan..when you have sean ellipt tying his hardest to prove he is top 5 and you still have idiots who call him top 15, the same idiots who said alrdige was going to be better. Kawhi and George are both playing top 4 level.basketball

Oh God please rid those forum of mainstream average PPG fans...Vanilla fans, please rid of them.

apalisoc_9
12-08-2015, 03:44 AM
dabom, theyre the same idiots who said aldridge was going to be the better player. :lol

Zero scouting talent :lol

dabom
12-08-2015, 03:57 AM
dabom (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=47543), theyre the same idiots who said aldridge was going to be the better player. :lol

Zero scouting talent :lol

Some people just don't understand basketball like us.

Feels good to be on top. :lol

Kawhitstorm
12-08-2015, 05:08 AM
Jordan won mvp of the league in 98 at 35 years old. Please don't tell me you believe jordan in 98 was in his prime..

He was in his prime just not at the peak of his prime. Is there a rule that states one's prime can't last longer than 10 yrs? Usually it's injury that slows them down: (see Bird). Age ain't nothing but a number until your body gives out which is something that didn't happen to Jordan in a Bulls uniform.

travis2
12-08-2015, 06:39 AM
I think Tim might consider it, especially if Kawhi is going.

International ball means nothing to him. He won't play.

z0sa
12-08-2015, 07:04 AM
Colangelo's a douche, so I'm assuming douchebaggery will be afoot.

GSH
12-08-2015, 11:32 AM
Someone should ask Colangelo if he would rather have Kobe or Kawhi on the Sixers right about now. I'm sure his priorities are the same there.

james evans
12-08-2015, 06:42 PM
He was in his prime just not at the peak of his prime. Is there a rule that states one's prime can't last longer than 10 yrs? Usually it's injury that slows them down: (see Bird). Age ain't nothing but a number until your body gives out which is something that didn't happen to Jordan in a Bulls uniform.
jordan was past it in 98. Just so happens he was playing with the best rebounder and defensive pf in the league(rodman), one of the top 6th men(kukok) one of the top 3 point shooters(kerr), top SF(pippen) and the refs gave him every fucking call. Jordan didnt play any defense the whole season. Especially in the finals that year against Utah(both years really) Stop rewriting history. Jordan in 98 was not the same jordan of 92 . He was exhausted during the Pacers series when he actually had to play both sides of the ball.

Kawhitstorm
12-08-2015, 07:01 PM
jordan was past it in 98. Just so happens he was playing with the best rebounder and defensive pf in the league(rodman), one of the top 6th men(kukok) one of the top 3 point shooters(kerr), top SF(pippen) and the refs gave him every fucking call. Jordan didnt play any defense the whole season. Especially in the finals that year against Utah(both years really) Stop rewriting history. Jordan in 98 was not the same jordan of 92 . He was exhausted during the Pacers series when he actually had to play both sides of the ball.

You mean he played like Lebron did since 2013-14? He was tired from winning 60 games & appearing in 3 straight Finals thus had to conserve energy on defense. It was actually Pippen that was breaking down that season (ala Wade) since he didn't have a break b/w the 3peat runs.

LoL @ claiming Jordan in 98 wasn't like 92, DUH! 92 Jordan was PEAK prime MJ, 98 is basically tailed end of prime MJ. LeBron isn't reaching 12-13 level again, he's on a decline but it doesn't mean he isn't in his prime b/c he isn't at his PEAK.

Past prime is post '08 Tim or post 81 Kareem.

james evans
12-08-2015, 08:47 PM
You mean he played like Lebron did since 2013-14? He was tired from winning 60 games & appearing in 3 straight Finals thus had to conserve energy on defense. It was actually Pippen that was breaking down that season (ala Wade) since he didn't have a break b/w the 3peat runs.

LoL @ claiming Jordan in 98 wasn't like 92, DUH! 92 Jordan was PEAK prime MJ, 98 is basically tailed end of prime MJ. LeBron isn't reaching 12-13 level again, he's on a decline but it doesn't mean he isn't in his prime b/c he isn't at his PEAK.

Past prime is post '08 Tim or post 81 Kareem.
jordan was past his prime dog. All he had to do was score baskets and go up the court. You obviously never watched any bulls games and are sold on highlights and espn hype. The east was garbage and they had a guaranteed run to the finals every year. And since you brought up Kareem, he won finals mvp in 85 at the age of 38. How could he be past his prime winning finals mvp?(*sarcasm*). See how that works?

TheSullyMonster
12-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Is there a rule that states one's prime can't last longer than 10 yrs?

Physiology? Skills can make up for lost youth. So can leeway from the refs. Look at track and field, or other purely objective sports. With the possible exception of endurance events, the old folks just aren't as fast. It's like the shitty country song. "I'm not as good as I once was-but I'm as good, once, as I ever was.". At 35 you can't bring it every night. Or even every night in a playoff series. Not at 38 minutes per game.

jordan was past his prime dog. All he had to do was score baskets and go up the court. You obviously never watched any bulls games and are sold on highlights and espn hype. The east was garbage and they had a guaranteed run to the finals every year. And since you brought up Kareem, he won finals mvp in 85 at the age of 38. How could he be past his prime winning finals mvp?(*sarcasm*). See how that works?

Skill, size and matchups are all great things. Long-time respect certainly helps for a subjective award, too. Also, wasn't/isn't Kareem renown for taking care of himself much better than everyone else?

Kawhitstorm
12-09-2015, 07:41 PM
And since you brought up Kareem, he won finals mvp in 85 at the age of 38. How could he be past his prime winning finals mvp?(*sarcasm*). See how that works?

LoL @ Finals MVP being equivalent to regular season MVP. You are reaching, sir.

spursistan
01-17-2016, 01:29 PM

that would be self-dignity, for once, from Kobe..

Kawhitstorm
06-23-2016, 05:34 PM
Kobe begging for a spot while Kawhi snubs the team for the second time in a row. One man's trash is another man's treasure.:lol

rasuo214
06-23-2016, 05:53 PM
At the rate guys are dropping out Kobe might get a shot.

cutewizard
06-24-2016, 02:58 AM
KOBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE