Awesome. Even better than expected.
8/10

spurraider21
12-06-2015, 12:41 AM
really good movie, one of cruise's best

SpursforSix
12-06-2015, 12:52 AM
really good movie, one of cruise's best

Totally agree. He's hit or miss with me. He was perfect in this. As was the the chick. Forget her name. I was actually disappointed when he lost the power. Was enjoying the replays. But solid ending anyway.

spurraider21
12-06-2015, 12:56 AM
Totally agree. He's hit or miss with me. He was perfect in this. As was the the chick. Forget her name. I was actually disappointed when he lost the power. Was enjoying the replays. But solid ending anyway.
emily blunt. she's great, liked her in Looper a lot too

and for an action movie guy, cruised has aged really well. ghost protocol and rogue nation were pretty fucking great. i was also a pretty big fan of jack reacher

SpursforSix
12-06-2015, 12:58 AM

Yeah...I like her. I still haven't seen that for some reason. Forgot about it tbh.

Reck
12-06-2015, 01:46 AM
Tom is probably my second favorite actor besides Leonardo Dicaprio.

He doesn't necesarily make great movies but he does make entertaining ones.

SpursforSix
12-06-2015, 01:58 AM
Tom is probably my second favorite actor besides Leonardo Dicaprio.

He doesn't necesarily make great movies but he does make entertaining ones.

You're right. I just scrolled through IMDB to back up my "hit or miss" comment and other than Rock of Ages, I didn't find a movie that I didn't enjoy.

HI-FI
12-06-2015, 02:12 AM
You're right. I just scrolled through IMDB to back up my "hit or miss" comment and other than Rock of Ages, I didn't find a movie that I didn't enjoy.
Cruise produces most of his own work and he's well known for his work ethic, so it's rare he's associated with unmotivated shit.

Edge of Tomorrow was really good, saw it in theaters and was surprised it didn't get more love. They should've just called it Live.Die.Repeat though imo.

Reck
12-06-2015, 02:18 AM
Damn, now you guys are making me wanna watch it again.

Might as well. Ain't got shit to do.

That or The Gladiator. lol

Xevious
12-06-2015, 03:36 AM
I actually really liked this flick.

spurraider21
12-06-2015, 04:39 AM
SPOILER

like i said, i really loved this movie, probably give it a solid 8.5 or 9 out of 10. super entertaining, great concept to take the groundhog day premise into a war/action plot. good acting.

but there were 2 things i never quite got over

1) why was the general such a dick in the opening scene? :lol... i've watched this movie a few times and i've never understood why he was so adamant

2) like any movie involving time travel type stuff, some things just never add up. at the very end, why did he get reset to an earlier time (when he was asleep on the chopper) instead of any other time? also, at the end, they report that the louvre had been blown up (due to the events they did earlier in the movie)... but how did the Louvre blow up BEFORE that time when cruise was asleep on the chopper. in the original timeline, they blew up the louvre the day after that

Trainwreck2100
12-06-2015, 01:38 PM
SPOILER

like i said, i really loved this movie, probably give it a solid 8.5 or 9 out of 10. super entertaining, great concept to take the groundhog day premise into a war/action plot. good acting.

but there were 2 things i never quite got over

1) why was the general such a dick in the opening scene? :lol... i've watched this movie a few times and i've never understood why he was so adamant

2) like any movie involving time travel type stuff, some things just never add up. at the very end, why did he get reset to an earlier time (when he was asleep on the chopper) instead of any other time? also, at the end, they report that the louvre had been blown up (due to the events they did earlier in the movie)... but how did the Louvre blow up BEFORE that time when cruise was asleep on the chopper. in the original timeline, they blew up the louvre the day after that

1) I just assumed the general wanted cruise to be the face of the war effort in case it all went south and ended up being the massacre that it was.
2) He absorbed the original aliens blood, that was the reason for the bigger jump, but not sure how they write off the alien being dead.

DMC
12-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Tom is good at picking his roles and his agent isn't a slouch either. I like the Jack Reacher series and hope there's another movie but I don't expect it.

Aztecfan03
12-06-2015, 05:44 PM

and for an action movie guy, cruised has aged really well. ghost protocol and rogue nation were pretty fucking great. i was also a pretty big fan of jack reacher

agree with this except im not so sure about looper. don't remember it much. She was good in the adjustment bureau, also.

Darius McCrary
12-06-2015, 09:42 PM
This movie rocked, Cruise nailed this movie.

Blake
12-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Groundhog Day on steroids. 8.5/10

DMX7
12-07-2015, 12:05 AM
I like most of Tom's movies, but I didn't like this one. The story just didn't do it for me.

Avante
12-07-2015, 12:49 AM
Jack Reacher is 6-5 250, how ya use Tom Cruise????

Own all the books but the new one.

spurraider21
12-07-2015, 12:57 AM

cruise did just fine in the movie

Avante
12-07-2015, 01:00 AM
cruise did just fine in the movie

So how many of Lee Childs Jack Reacher books have you read?

First off he's way too smAll and at no time did he ever show a love for them blues/music. Rememer KILLING FLOOR the first Reacher novel, what was he looking for?

ChumpDumper
12-07-2015, 01:04 AM
You use Tom Cruise to gross $220 million.

spurraider21
12-07-2015, 01:05 AM
So how many of Lee Childs Jack Reacher books have you read?
none. i didnt need to in order to enjoy the flick

i'm definitely going to catch next year's sequel too

Avante
12-07-2015, 01:07 AM

Just as I suspected, you have no idea who Jack Reacher is. Trust me, Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher.

If ya knew about the books you'd get what I mean.

Avante
12-07-2015, 01:11 AM

i'm definitely going to catch next year's sequel too

Sequel? None of the books had a sequel.

Reacher is a wandering x miliary cop who just roams around, all he owns is a tooth brush. When his clothes get dirty he walks into some thrift shop and buys new old ones. He's a big blues fan and one bad bad dude.

In the first Reacher novel KILLING FLOOR he's in Georgia looking for how Blind Blake died, a legit blues legend that just disappeared.

spurraider21
12-07-2015, 01:16 AM
Just as I suspected, you have no idea who Jack Reacher is. Trust me, Tom Cruise is not Jack Reacher.

If ya knew about the books you'd get what I mean.

Reacher is a wandering x miliary cop who just roams around, all he owns his a tooth brush. When his clothes get dirty he walks into some thrift shop and buys new old ones. He's a big blues fan and one bad bad dude.
tom cruise was jack reacher

and there is a sequel coming out in 2016

Aztecfan03
12-07-2015, 01:17 AM

Ummm... You don't know what sequel means?

Avante
12-07-2015, 01:18 AM
tom cruise was jack reacher

and there is a sequel coming out in 2016

How could he be, Reacher is 6-5 250 pounds? And, there might be another Reacher movie but it won't be a sequel, it will just be a whole other book. There are about 15 of them.

ChumpDumper
12-07-2015, 01:21 AM
What do you think a sequel is, Avante?

Avante
12-07-2015, 01:22 AM
Ummm... You don't know what sequel means?

Why try so hard?

I look at a sequal a little differently when it comes to books. Another book is just that ....another book. Now if it's like the Lord of the Ring saga, then we'd have a sequel.

ChumpDumper
12-07-2015, 01:24 AM
Why try so hard?It's a legitimate question at this point.

What do you think a sequel is?

HI-FI
12-07-2015, 01:25 AM

I've heard that complaint before but Cruise's production team bought the rights so it was his decision to make. Probably were actors who fit the physical profile better but then the film probably wouldn't have been made if not for Cruise.

Avante
12-07-2015, 01:31 AM
I've heard that complaint before but Cruise's production team bought the rights so it was his decision to make. Probably were actors who fit the physical profile better but then the film probably wouldn't have been made if not for Cruise.

When a movie is being done about a real life person or a literary character ya can't just do what ya want. You can't do a movie about Lincoln and use a guy 5-5. Reacher has a large following I'm guessing Cruise didn't know that. And in all of the books there's Reacher zoning out/chilling with some blues, music. We saw none of that.

ChumpDumper
12-07-2015, 01:32 AM
When a movie is being done about a real life person or a literary character ya can't just do what ya want. You can't do a movie about Lincoln and use a guy 5-5.Actually it's much easier to do what one wants with a fictional character. It's done all the time.
Reacher has a large following I'm guessing Cruise didn't know that.Of course Tom Cruise knew that. That's the whole reason movies based on books get made.

Avante
12-07-2015, 01:35 AM
A movie is going to be made about Samson, you want a guy nobody has ever seen before, so auditions are being held. Will a short fat guy get the part, how about a tall skinny cat?

ChumpDumper
12-07-2015, 01:36 AM
A movie is going to be made about Samson, you want a guy nobody has ever seen before, so auditions are being held. Will a short fat guy get the part, how about a tall skinning cat?That would be a boring movie tbh.

Avante
12-07-2015, 01:38 AM
Who out there would follow a guy around who has told....you suck so go away.....? Look at this freak, it this sad or what?

ChumpDumper
12-07-2015, 01:44 AM
Cruise is a character actor. He really gets into a role. He can understand the role. He can project the vibe. But the only real answer is go see the movie. I guarantee you will come out of it and you will think, “What was I worried about?”

http://entertainment.time.com/2012/09/19/lee-child-on-his-new-thriller-tom-cruise-as-jack-reacher-and-wandering-heroes/

Consider yourself shat upon by the author of Jack Reacher.

Reck
12-07-2015, 02:40 AM
When a movie is being done about a real life person or a literary character ya can't just do what ya want. You can't do a movie about Lincoln and use a guy 5-5. Reacher has a large following I'm guessing Cruise didn't know that. And in all of the books there's Reacher zoning out/chilling with some blues, music. We saw none of that.

When was the last tme you went to see a movie?

Most movies that get made from books, real life events etc often cast people who dont even come close to portraying said characters.

I dont have an issue with Tom Cruise playing a made up character from a book. But I do take issue when they cast Americans or English actors to portray spanish people. (The Impossible-Naomi Watts.)

DMC
12-07-2015, 09:29 AM
I like these type of movies because it's so much easier to suspend disbelief when the plot allows it through either time travel or this groundhog day effect. I find these things more enjoyable than just accepting that midget Cruise is some badass.

SpursforSix
12-07-2015, 10:53 AM
1) I just assumed the general wanted cruise to be the face of the war effort in case it all went south and ended up being the massacre that it was.
2) He absorbed the original aliens blood, that was the reason for the bigger jump, but not sure how they write off the alien being dead.

As someone mentioned, not worth poking holes in because it was a great movie. But the one thing that I wondered was:

When they go back to the General to get the mechanism, why didn't Cruise inject himself right there and then try to get the General on board with mass attaching the Omega with the military?
As opposed to leaving the office and then injecting himself in the middle of the car chase.
Or once they realized things were going bad, just shoot Cruise and reset.

UZER
12-07-2015, 03:06 PM
love repeat movies like edge of tomorrow and ground hog day.

Anyone have others suggestions?

Trainwreck2100
12-07-2015, 03:28 PM
honestly though, the fucking point where he drowns himself in like 3 feet of water was insane

Avante
12-07-2015, 03:49 PM
When was the last tme you went to see a movie?

Most movies that get made from books, real life events etc often cast people who dont even come close to portraying said characters.

I dont have an issue with Tom Cruise playing a made up character from a book. But I do take issue when they cast Americans or English actors to portray spanish people. (The Impossible-Naomi Watts.)

I've probably gone to the movies about 3/4 times a year since I was a kid. Yep, tons~~~~~~

So give me an example of what you are talking about.

In every Reacher book there is talk about his size, and usually some mention about how being this big guy....later on in all the books. The fact he is a big bad dude is a major factor in his story.

SpursforSix
12-07-2015, 04:01 PM
love repeat movies like edge of tomorrow and ground hog day.

Anyone have others suggestions?

not exactly the same but Primer is very good.

I thought they were going to make a movie of Ken Grimwood's, Replay novel but I don't see anything anymore.

SpursforSix
12-07-2015, 04:02 PM
honestly though, the fucking point where he drowns himself in like 3 feet of water was insane

It was three feet but wasn't he completely submerged?

ChumpDumper
12-07-2015, 04:16 PM
I've probably gone to the movies about 3/4 times a year since I was a kid. Yep, tons~~~~~~

So give me an example of what you are talking about.Well, Cruise himself played Claus von Stauffenberg, who in real life was 6'3".

Chris Hemsworth is 6'3" -- not the 6'6" that Thor is listed at in the Marvel wiki.

Hugh Jackman is a full foot taller than comic book Wolverine.

Nick Fury is (maybe was) white in the comics.

It's called acting, dude. Suspension of disbelief.

Trainwreck2100
12-07-2015, 04:53 PM
It was three feet but wasn't he completely submerged?

it was closer to a puddle than 3 feet tbqh

Trainwreck2100
12-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Well, Cruise himself played Claus von Stauffenberg, who in real life was 6'3".

Chris Hemsworth is 6'3" -- not the 6'6" that Thor is listed at in the Marvel wiki.

Hugh Jackman is a full foot taller than comic book Wolverine.

Nick Fury is (maybe was) white in the comics.

It's called acting, dude. Suspension of disbelief.

HNIC nick fury was in the comics continuity before iron man 1

SpursforSix
12-07-2015, 05:28 PM
it was closer to a puddle than 3 feet tbqh

sure...but I think it completely filled up the space he was in