PDA

View Full Version : Best stat of the night: Spurs had 32 assists vs the 76ers

Mr Bones
12-07-2015, 09:39 PM
Every single player that saw floor time had at least one assist...

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400828192

UNT Eagles 2016
12-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Not the best stat of the night but I like it

Silver&Black
12-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Nice stat...but I prefer:

Nik Stauskas with the +/- of -43.

How the fck is that even possible?

tholdren
12-07-2015, 10:14 PM

The problem with that shit stat

tholdren
12-07-2015, 10:15 PM
32 assists and no leonard.... who would thought

Silver&Black
12-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Jesus Christ...

You can't say one thing about the +/- stat without someone coming in and talking shit about it. I know it's not the greatest stat, but gotdamnit they keep up with it in every boxscore. And when I see a -41 I'm going to :lol at the guy who did it.

tholdren
12-07-2015, 10:33 PM
Jesus Christ...

You can't say one thing about the +/- stat without someone coming in and talking shit about it. I know it's not the greatest stat, but gotdamnit they keep up with it in every boxscore. And when I see a -41 I'm going to :lol at the guy who did it.

Worst evidence ever is plus minus, it's such a terrible concept. Your guy had one of the best games for 76ers lowest pm. Boban best game of his career second lowest pm on team.... stop using shit numbers

Uriel
12-07-2015, 10:48 PM
The best stat of the night is that the Spurs won by 51, tbh.

BillMc
12-07-2015, 10:51 PM

Yeah, that's amazing. That can't happen very often.

vander
12-07-2015, 11:34 PM
+/- actually fucking happens, this ain't no BS stat like WS or PER. when that guy was on the court, the 76ers actually got outscored by 43 points, the very same points that are used to determine who wins the game! how many times does this have to be stated?

steeledl
12-07-2015, 11:40 PM
+/- actually fucking happens, this ain't no BS stat like WS or PER. when that guy was on the court, the 76ers actually got outscored by 43 points, the very same points that are used to determine who wins the game! how many times does this have to be stated?

It is a shitty stat when it is used to determine a players value because it doesn't account for many other variables. Too many stupid fans use it to try to win arguments.

Galileo
12-07-2015, 11:47 PM

and he only played 25 minutes!

:lmao

vander
12-07-2015, 11:59 PM
It is a shitty stat when it is used to determine a players value because it doesn't account for many other variables. Too many stupid fans use it to try to win arguments.

over the course of 82 games all variables are properly accounted for. no one watches this game and expects 18 ppg from Boban. no one watches this game and expects every game that Stauskas plays in to result in a 43 point loss

steeledl
12-08-2015, 12:02 AM
over the course of 82 games all variables are properly accounted for. no one watches this game and expects 18 ppg from Boban. no one watches this game and expects every game that Stauskas plays in to result in a 43 point loss

Hardly. A lot of the variables are determined by rotation and matchups.... for instance, Kawhi will be on the floor more when players like Durant are on the court. I mean.... just one simple example that skews the statistic but the list can go on forever.

vander
12-08-2015, 12:11 AM
Hardly. A lot of the variables are determined by rotation and matchups.... for instance, Kawhi will be on the floor more when players like Durant are on the court. I mean.... just one simple example that skews the statistic but the list can go on forever.

nope that's the only one: comparing starters to bench players, stars to role players, etc. +/- doesn't do any good comparing Kawhi to Boban, only kawhi to other starters, how worthless...

steeledl
12-08-2015, 12:18 AM
nope that's the only one: comparing starters to bench players, stars to role players, etc. +/- doesn't do any good comparing Kawhi to Boban, only kawhi to other starters, how worthless...

I can think of another one right off the top of my head... Tim Duncan is less likely to play against bad teams than (ex. tonight) than someone like Lamarcus Aldridge. Both starters.

Galileo
12-08-2015, 12:19 AM

Each of the 12 Spurs who played had at least 1 point and 1 rebound as well. This is not a record, however. The Spurs had a game about 2 years ago where all 13 players (the max) had at least one point, rebound, and assist).

steeledl
12-08-2015, 12:24 AM

Another variable would be depth at certain positions. More depth at PG= less minutes, more fresh.... less likely to have to play a lot of minutes against other elite point guards. Less depth at point guard and you can reverse all of those advantages.

vander
12-08-2015, 12:47 AM
I can think of another one right off the top of my head... Tim Duncan is less likely to play against bad teams than (ex. tonight) than someone like Lamarcus Aldridge. Both starters.

and if LMA can win (positive +/-) without TD, why shouldn't the stats reflect that in a positive way? fact is TD didn't play, LMA did, spurs won, stat reflects reality.

steeledl
12-08-2015, 12:54 AM
and if LMA can win (positive +/-) without TD, why shouldn't the stats reflect that in a positive way? fact is TD didn't play, LMA did, spurs won, stat reflects reality.

But the +/- being used as a metric to value to a player is skewed.

Mr Bones
12-08-2015, 12:55 AM
The best stat of the night is that the Spurs won by 51, tbh.

Yeah that's a pretty good one too!

vander
12-08-2015, 01:03 AM
But the +/- being used as a metric to value to a player is skewed.

every stat is skewed, what perfect stat are you comparing +/- to here? and it's not really even that skewed, if TD were to play those games against bad teams he would wear down and his +/- would suffer in other games...

steeledl
12-08-2015, 01:09 AM
every stat is skewed, what perfect stat are you comparing +/- to here? and it's not really even that skewed, if TD were to play those games against bad teams he would wear down and his +/- would suffer in other games...

I agree You insulated that the stat was without flaw... all statistics have their place.... but this isn't even that great of one.