PDA

View Full Version : Boban is better than Splitter

Cklbmk
12-07-2015, 10:48 PM
and younger, bigger, and he's fucking Boban.

We;re set for the future.

Porker-Green-Leonard-Aldridge-Boban with Simmons Anderson Duncan off the bench

We're set. I wonder who our next great PG will be

Leetonidas
12-07-2015, 10:54 PM
Facepalm

Nathan89
12-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Facepalm

cd98
12-07-2015, 10:56 PM
This is a hilarious thread. Love the sarcasm about Boban being better than Splitter.

Silver&Black
12-07-2015, 10:56 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/lets_not_get_too_carried_away_button-rfd350051694c42608783643757e6ae51_x7j12_8byvr_512. jpg

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-07-2015, 10:57 PM
Facepalm

steeledl
12-07-2015, 11:01 PM
Facepalm

FkLA
12-07-2015, 11:04 PM
No. But I am starting to warm up to Boban. Initially I thought he was just a tall, slow stiff but I can actually see him turning into a rotation player now.

cjw
12-07-2015, 11:05 PM
Defense is half the battle

benefactor
12-07-2015, 11:09 PM
Facepalm

bic50
12-07-2015, 11:14 PM
We will need to see more. Remember 76ers are the worse team in the league, it was like d-league all over again for boban. Let's see how he does against better competition. But so far I like what I see.

Slutter McGee
12-07-2015, 11:20 PM
Its seems to me that when he tries to back down his man in the high post he has been turnover prone, even when he has a mismatch. When he receives the ball near the block he appears incredibly efficient. What concerns me is he doesn't seem like a very good defensive rebounder, but overall I think he can be a quality player if he plays smart. Him being foul prone is not that big of a deal with the minutes he will be playing, and I didn't think he defense was bad at all.

Of course that is just from watching spot minutes, 2 D-league games, and the Sixers, so who really knows.

Slutter McGee

Slutter McGee

Mikeanaro
12-07-2015, 11:23 PM
If we take their first season yes Bobs is better, in the long term... who knows?

BillMc
12-07-2015, 11:24 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/lets_not_get_too_carried_away_button-rfd350051694c42608783643757e6ae51_x7j12_8byvr_512. jpg

BillMc
12-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Given that we signed him as a complete undrafted FA, it was another major win by RC and Pop!:toast

tholdren
12-07-2015, 11:32 PM
10/10

100%duncan
12-07-2015, 11:38 PM
No. But I am starting to warm up to Boban. Initially I thought he was just a tall, slow stiff but I can actually see him turning into a rotation player now.

TrainOfThought5
12-08-2015, 12:13 AM
This is a reminder that we won a championship with splitter

Spur|n|Austin
12-08-2015, 12:16 AM
This is a reminder that we won a championship with splitter

and 2 w/ Bonner - your point?

testies
12-08-2015, 12:56 AM
splitter was a starter and key figure, your point?

dabom
12-08-2015, 01:01 AM
Some say splitter still has a sore vagina. :lmao

Proxy
12-08-2015, 01:07 AM
a little better than even Yao

Kawhitstorm
12-08-2015, 01:09 AM
He replaced Baynes, he's better than Baynes especially when it comes to rim protection:toast

Mr Bones
12-08-2015, 01:12 AM
If Boban can give the Spurs a legitimate 10-12 mpg while Aldridge gives 28-35 mpg that represents a huge improvement over Splitter's 20-24 mpg. That's all that matters.

BatManu20
12-08-2015, 01:21 AM
Splitter tore his ACL reading this.

AFMadison
12-08-2015, 01:37 AM
I'll take Boban over Splitter.
both have solid rim protection
splitter is quicker
both are great passers
boban has a better offensive game
Boban has a higher ceiling.
Splitter was a solid player but I'm ready to see Boban take over a game at night on TNT.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-08-2015, 01:39 AM
splitter is quicker
both are great passers
Splitter was a solid player but I'm ready to see Boban take over a game at night on TNT.

No.

sventhedog
12-08-2015, 01:52 AM
what the spurs need is a quicker defender to complement duncan or aldrige. an athletic pf.

also, my grandmother would've also dropped 18points vs the sixers. lol.

AFMadison
12-08-2015, 01:53 AM
No.
They don't? Which of these two don't you agree on?

Oh and I meant to say Boban is higher to the ceiling than Splitter, no but really, I think Boban is gonna be big for the Spurs down the road.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-08-2015, 02:02 AM
They don't? Which of these two don't you agree on?

Oh and I meant to say Boban is higher to the ceiling than Splitter, no but really, I think Boban is gonna be big for the Spurs down the road.

Boban is no rim protector, wasn't even in Europe. He's tall but he's not good defensively. His ceiling in Europe would be much higher than his ceiling in the NBA, but at best I see him as a 15 minutes per game off the bench 4th big. Splitter is a legitimate starter when healthy.

AFMadison
12-08-2015, 02:08 AM
Boban is no rim protector, wasn't even in Europe. He's tall but he's not good defensively. His ceiling in Europe would be much higher than his ceiling in the NBA, but at best I see him as a 15 minutes per game off the bench 4th big. Splitter is a legitimate starter when healthy.
Don't get me wrong I like Splitter, but if Boban can continue to grow and stay healthy, watch out

DJR210
12-08-2015, 02:20 AM
Boban seriously the most popular Spur thats for sure.

Silver&Black
12-08-2015, 02:28 AM
Boban seriously the most popular Spur thats for sure.

Do I go ahead and order my Boban jersey now?.....or should I wait till after Christmas?

Mr Bones
12-08-2015, 03:14 AM
I clearly remember Boban blocking a shot just before the game ended, but he wasn't credited with one in the box score.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400828192

SpursIndonesia
12-08-2015, 03:15 AM
I clearly remember Boban blocking a shot just before the game ended, but he wasn't credited with one in the box score.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=400828192

I think it was credited as a steal, he had two tonight, IIRC.

Mr Bones
12-08-2015, 03:17 AM
I think it was credited as a steal, he had two tonight, IIRC.

ah, thanks!

ceperez
12-08-2015, 04:13 AM
splitter is quicker
both are great passers

Splitter was very good as a big man in defending the perimeter. I don't know if Boban can learn that. However, you are right that Boban has a higher upside. You just can't teach length.

z0sa
12-08-2015, 05:41 AM
Facepalm

DJR210
12-08-2015, 05:52 AM
Do I go ahead and order my Boban jersey now?.....or should I wait till after Christmas?

Fuck that, get it now. Next day delivery.

Texas_Ranger
12-08-2015, 06:25 AM
His offense is way better, but on defense he just can't move as well as Tiago.

NameLess Scrub
12-08-2015, 08:47 AM
He's too big for basketball.

Also I'm pretty sure he's actually a cartoon among us, like in a Roger Rabbit movie.

But seriously, if he can play serviceable backup C, rest Timmy and Aldridge, and occasionally be a bigger contributor depending on the match up, that's all we can ask for.

Xevious
12-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Boban fouls too much, rebounds poorly for his size, and other than being big is not that great of a defender. He's not even close to Splitter (when healthy). Dropping 18 on a college team is not a barometer of skill.

cd98
12-08-2015, 09:04 AM

In the NBA, speed is a big deal. It can make your offense worthless in many ways.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-08-2015, 09:08 AM
Boban is Mark Eaton but on the offensive end. Boban is a decent defender but isn't close to be as good as Splitter. But offensively, Boban is way better than Splitter. I thought Splitter was the best passing bigman on the Spurs, but Boban is actually better. Probably the best passing Big the Spurs have ever had. For a big guy, he has such a soft touch. Boban will be a legitimate starting C in this league is a year or so.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-08-2015, 09:11 AM
In the NBA, speed is a big deal. It can make your offense worthless in many ways.

But how many guys have nearly a 10 ft standing reach. Boban is slightly faster, and I mean slightly, than Yao was, and Yao was unstoppable on some nights. Can't teach that length. Add a high BB IQ and amazing passing, speed doesn't become such a factor as players like Bird and Duncan have shown.

NASpurs
12-08-2015, 09:18 AM
Mugen must be spinning in his grave

MarCowMar
12-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Boban is an absolute joy to watch. His game is so different from Splitter's, I'm not sure you can say one or the other is better because you'd have to use them so differently. Splitter is a fleet footed big who can switch on pick and rolls, and is also great at rolling to the basket for a layup. Boban uses his strength and size, and is often pushing around other centers like dolls or just turning and shooting over them.

Boban has a solid jumper where Splitter had no shot. Boban can also hit his free throws.

Boban finishes easily on contested shots, where Splitter would frequently throw up a weak layup or get stuffed. Last night Boban stuffed it over two of Philly's bigs under heavy contact (which I thought looked like frustration fouls that could have been considered flagrants) like it was nothing.

I think Boban is a fine defensive rebounder, and also a great offensive rebounder--even while out of position. He reaches over the head of his defender and just tips the ball back out.

Splitter fouls a lot less.

Against a team like the Warriors, Splitter might be better, but I could see situations where Boban could cause some havoc and force the Warriors to change their lineup. I could also see situations where Boban is destroyed by good ball movement and picks.

BackHome
12-08-2015, 10:28 AM
On offense Yes on defense No

TimDunkem
12-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Offensively, he is certainly better.

daledondale
12-08-2015, 11:10 AM
Mugen (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=15519) must be spinning in his grave
:lol

ceperez
12-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Boban is an absolute joy to watch. His game is so different from Splitter's, I'm not sure you can say one or the other is better because you'd have to use them so differently. Splitter is a fleet footed big who can switch on pick and rolls, and is also great at rolling to the basket for a layup. Boban uses his strength and size, and is often pushing around other centers like dolls or just turning and shooting over them.

Boban has a solid jumper where Splitter had no shot. Boban can also hit his free throws.

Boban finishes easily on contested shots, where Splitter would frequently throw up a weak layup or get stuffed. Last night Boban stuffed it over two of Philly's bigs under heavy contact (which I thought looked like frustration fouls that could have been considered flagrants) like it was nothing.

I think Boban is a fine defensive rebounder, and also a great offensive rebounder--even while out of position. He reaches over the head of his defender and just tips the ball back out.

Splitter fouls a lot less.

Against a team like the Warriors, Splitter might be better, but I could see situations where Boban could cause some havoc and force the Warriors to change their lineup. I could also see situations where Boban is destroyed by good ball movement and picks.

Referees weren't calling fouls on Boban's defenders. He was getting mauled in the paint and that's the main reason he couldn't get to his spots. Despite that, he still shot 8-10!!!

There's a lot of promise here because he's shown that he can pass. Spurs just need to tweak plays so that he can improve his scoring opportunities (actually 8-10 in 17 minutes isn't bad at all!)

TheGreatYacht
12-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Aldridge is a better defender than Splitter, like it or not hipsters. Heat and Thunder were beating our ass until Splitter got his soft ass in the bench, and Boris saved the day.

Also, I see people calling out Boban's lack of blocks as if Tiago ever averaged over 0.8BPG :lol Tiago's defensive contribution gets overrated around these parts because of how much the team improved after ditching DEJUAN BLAIR & RICHARD JEFFERSON.... Doesn't take a genius to know that those players are bottom of the barrel defenders.

SpursIndonesia
12-08-2015, 12:34 PM
In the 90's, he will be at least a Rik Smith level of player, perhaps even better. Too bad in the current NBA, his ceiling would be as a back up center with a true superstar C playing in front of him, basically a 10-15 minutes player off the bench. Well, perhaps if Robin Lopez can be a starter, he might have a chance, just not in a contending team.

manufan10
12-08-2015, 01:46 PM
As long as Pop doesn't play him against the Clippers... I think Boban would get destroyed like Baynes did.

lefty
12-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Also better than Porker

ceperez
12-08-2015, 02:06 PM
As long as Pop doesn't play him against the Clippers... I think Boban would get destroyed like Baynes did.

I disagree here. Boban will do well against the Clippers because he can matchup well defensively against a player like Jordan that can't score from the outside.

SPURt
12-08-2015, 02:11 PM
I disagree here. Boban will do well against the Clippers because he can matchup well defensively against a player like Jordan that can't score from the outside.
If he gets yammed on by Blake or DeAndre it will be everywhere on a never ending loop. Every time there is an NBA commercial or promotional material it will be there, it will never die... It's going to be like Hulk Hogan body slamming Andre the Giant...

bic50
12-08-2015, 02:16 PM
If he gets yammed on by Blake or DeAndre it will be everywhere on a never ending loop. Every time there is an NBA commercial or promotional material it will be there, it will never die... It's going to be like Hulk Hogan body slamming Andre the Giant...

Similar to when lebron blocked splitter. That was everywhere

DJR210
12-08-2015, 03:00 PM
Does Boban's enormous vagina bruise as easily as Tiago's?

FuzzyLumpkins
12-08-2015, 03:01 PM
No.

Why not? Splitter might have quicker feet but Boban has intimidating size. Boban also has the hips, bend and footwork to deal with penetration either in help but more importantly against guys like Okafor like last night. Once he stops going for shot fakes he could be very very good there. He looks competent when switching onto guards.

Unlike Splitter Boban has the footwork, release point and touch that Splitter simply doesn't have in the post. Boban's hands were suspect but so were Splitter's particularly early.

Ultimately on defense Splitter is faster on the perimeter chasing todays NBA game but Boban's intimidation due to size is obvious. I love matching him up against opposing bench bigs. Watching hansborough and the guys in the league react to the Bobanator is fun to watch if nothing else. Whether he can deal with Griffin and the like remains to be seen. It's also a work in progress getting his angles and spacing right with the speed of the NBA game. He is already setting much better picks.

If he does those things though he will be better than Splitter by virtue of that jump shot and post game.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Does Boban's enormous vagina bruise as easily as Tiago's?

That fact that he played in the Serbian League Finals and was the best player despite having a Fractured Ankle, I would say NO.

Old School 44
12-08-2015, 03:02 PM
Yep...offense is way better and more versatile. I don't think I've ever seen Splitter successfully shoot an in-game 10-12 footer.
Defense, I think there's still room for improvement, but I think he's a lot faster/quicker than some people realize.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-08-2015, 03:06 PM
Yep...offense is way better and more versatile. I don't think I've ever seen Splitter successfully shoot an in-game 10-12 footer.
Defense, I think there's still room for improvement, but I think he's a lot faster/quicker than some people realize.

Yup watching him beat Noel and Okafor down the court, bury them, and score over and over again was hilarious.

SsKSpurs21
12-08-2015, 03:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hayfEqXHKk

DJR210
12-08-2015, 03:18 PM
That fact that he played in the Serbian League Finals and was the best player despite having a Fractured Ankle, I would say NO.

:lol Tiago

DNP - fingernail

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-08-2015, 03:18 PM
Why not? Splitter might have quicker feet but Boban has intimidating size. Boban also has the hips, bend and footwork to deal with penetration either in help but more importantly against guys like Okafor like last night. Once he stops going for shot fakes he could be very very good there. He looks competent when switching onto guards.

Unlike Splitter Boban has the footwork, release point and touch that Splitter simply doesn't have in the post. Boban's hands were suspect but so were Splitter's particularly early.

Ultimately on defense Splitter is faster on the perimeter chasing todays NBA game but Boban's intimidation due to size is obvious. I love matching him up against opposing bench bigs. Watching hansborough and the guys in the league react to the Bobanator is fun to watch if nothing else. Whether he can deal with Griffin and the like remains to be seen. It's also a work in progress getting his angles and spacing right with the speed of the NBA game. He is already setting much better picks.

If he does those things though he will be better than Splitter by virtue of that jump shot and post game.

You seem to have a really great opinion of him. I've no idea what it's based on. Have you watched him in Europe? Cause he couldn't do half of what you're describing defensively against european competition. I'd be thrilled if he turns out better against NBA players, but I find it incredibly unlikely.

I also don't agree with this perception that has suddenly appeared that his offense is better than Splitter's, but after last night's game I can see why it'd be difficult to argue at his moment.

lilbthebasedgod
12-08-2015, 04:00 PM

Splitter had bad footwork? Compared to Boban? I think he has a way higher ceiling than splitter but really, Boban needs to work on his footwork badly.

ceperez
12-08-2015, 04:16 PM

Splitter absolutely had better footwork, if anything that Splitter had, it was his footwork! He had no offensive skills but he had great footwork.

I kind of expect Boban to have good hands considering how big they are. Its like his has baseball mitts on. Players are just not passing to Boban at the right spots.

Unlike Splitter, Boban definitely has an intimidation factor in the paint. You can see people changing their shots and he's just standing there. All Boban needs to do is make like a tree... that's intimidating enough.

urunobili
12-08-2015, 04:26 PM
We'll see after he gets the (if ever) the kind of minutes and feature Splitter did... As it stands DWest is looking each time better and has the potential of being an enforcer type of player for this team and for Marjanovic to get that spot will take an injury or simply will only happen once TD and Manu are gone. It's looking good though it'll take him 2 years to get consistent minutes if he sticks with the team.

bigfan
12-08-2015, 04:28 PM
I like the guy a lot but he doesn't even come close to Splitters talent level. Maybe some day he will but right now, no way.

bic50
12-08-2015, 04:57 PM
I like the guy a lot but he doesn't even come close to Splitters talent level. Maybe some day he will but right now, no way.

Doesn't come close to splitter in talent? I disagree.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-08-2015, 05:34 PM
You seem to have a really great opinion of him. I've no idea what it's based on. Have you watched him in Europe? Cause he couldn't do half of what you're describing defensively against european competition. I'd be thrilled if he turns out better against NBA players, but I find it incredibly unlikely.

I also don't agree with this perception that has suddenly appeared that his offense is better than Splitter's, but after last night's game I can see why it'd be difficult to argue at his moment.

I've watched several entire games of him overseas when we signed him. It's not lost on me that I actually include basketball as it is played on the court in my posts.

The comments about him bending his knees and moving laterally were against Harsborough and Okafur. Him being able to keep up with all the moves and junk Okafur threw at him was pretty impressive. The 76ers guards and wings are godawful but Okafur isn't. He did beat Noel and Okafur down the floor. Sure they were demoralized and all that but he outweighs them by 50+ pounds.

I even qualified it saying that for him to be able to talk about Splitter defensively then he needs to be able to matchup with Blake Griffin and the NBA elite. Of course it's ceiling but for now in his first year his competition is going to be bench players and he is farther along in his transition compared to similar bigs we've brought in. He's farther along than Splitter who remains made of glass.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Splitter absolutely had better footwork, if anything that Splitter had, it was his footwork! He had no offensive skills but he had great footwork.

I kind of expect Boban to have good hands considering how big they are. Its like his has baseball mitts on. Players are just not passing to Boban at the right spots.

Unlike Splitter, Boban definitely has an intimidation factor in the paint. You can see people changing their shots and he's just standing there. All Boban needs to do is make like a tree... that's intimidating enough.

Splitter had the up and under on the left block. He could finish with either hand but his accuracy outside a few feet was awful. Boban is interesting in that he likes to work out of both blocks and prefers the right which is new territory. Boban also has the size advantage and is getting better and better at exploiting it as he learns the NBA. I have yet to see Boban lose his pivot as he buries guys in the paint.

I get that Splitter was on another level when it came to angles and spacing for Tony and Manu but that didn't really start coming about until his third year here. Recall Splitter had leg injuries and could not play on arrival.

Silver&Black
12-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Fuck that, get it now. Next day delivery.

Good call....

Kawhitstorm
12-08-2015, 07:12 PM
In the 90's, he will be at least a Rik Smith level of player, perhaps even better. Too bad in the current NBA, his ceiling would be as a back up center with a true superstar C playing in front of him, basically a 10-15 minutes player off the bench. Well, perhaps if Robin Lopez can be a starter, he might have a chance, just not in a contending team.

Brook Lopez is actually slower than Robin. Bogut isn't the most nimble guy is the league although he an elite rim protector; Hibbert might be done playing for a contender.

Agloco
12-08-2015, 07:38 PM
....... no but really, I think Boban is gonna be big for the Spurs down the road.

Like, do you think he's gonna get taller?

gospursgojas
12-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Without Splitter we dont stop Dirk in the first round of '14. Maybe lose to Mavs who took us to 7 games.

Would you ever....eeeeeevvvver be able to say that about Boban?

Cmon man.

ceperez
12-08-2015, 08:42 PM
Splitter had the up and under on the left block. He could finish with either hand but his accuracy outside a few feet was awful. Boban is interesting in that he likes to work out of both blocks and prefers the right which is new territory. Boban also has the size advantage and is getting better and better at exploiting it as he learns the NBA. I have yet to see Boban lose his pivot as he buries guys in the paint.

I get that Splitter was on another level when it came to angles and spacing for Tony and Manu but that didn't really start coming about until his third year here. Recall Splitter had leg injuries and could not play on arrival.

The primary reason Splitter was traded was because he was fragile. He was pretty good when he was healthy.

However, he didn't play much in his first year, even though the expectations were much higher. He was supposed to be a player that would be better than Scola. With Boban the expectations are much lower, but he's shown that he's got a more potent offensive game than Splitter. I doubt Splitter could have dunked the ball agains two defenders. In fact, against the Clippers last year, he couldn't even score under the basket. You aren't going to see that kind of weak play from Boban.

TheGreatYacht
12-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Without Splitter we dont stop Dirk in the first round of '14. Maybe lose to Mavs who took us to 7 games.

Would you ever....eeeeeevvvver be able to say that about Boban?

Cmon man.
With Splitter, Blake Griffin averaged a triple double last year and was such a bad offensive threat that he was always left open while Blake double teamed Parker & co.

Would Griffin leave Boban open by the rim? Cmon man. No

boutons_deux
12-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Boban is a project, a long way to go to play NBA ball, Spurs ball, but I'm pulling for him

barbacoataco
12-08-2015, 10:15 PM
I think my take is that fully healthy Splitter was a great player for the Spurs. But that wasn't very often. Kind of got old after awhile.

AFMadison
12-08-2015, 11:31 PM
Like, do you think he's gonna get taller?
Taller? No. Better? Yes

AFMadison
12-08-2015, 11:35 PM
Splitter was very good as a big man in defending the perimeter. I don't know if Boban can learn that. However, you are right that Boban has a higher upside. You just can't teach length.
All we really needed Splitter for was to guard Dirk and Aldridge. Dirk is not the same force he was, and well ya know we signed the other guy

Mugen
12-09-2015, 12:57 AM
Mugen (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=15519) must be spinning in his grave

Didn't wanna dignify this faggy thread with a response tbh.

DMC
12-09-2015, 04:46 PM
Boban isn't better than Splitter but he could be. He can do things Tiago could not do. Boban needs work, but he's got a shit ton of potential.

DMC
12-09-2015, 04:50 PM
http://dsz7vodgjx60a.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/500371714.jpg