PDA

View Full Version : Brett Brown...

spursistan
12-08-2015, 12:18 AM
you gotta feel for him, tbh..I mean Pop tried everything to give a competitive one to his buddy (resting 3 key players not on B2B), but they still got curb-stomped by 50 with our 3rd stringers logging the major minutes..

I do think Brett is a much better coach than someone like Vaughan even though both jumped too early on HC jobs..Hoping they get Ben Simmons in the draft and with Colangelo on board they should start a path toward respectability as soon as next season..Brett has made his bed by choosing to be part of Hinkie plan, and he isn't going to get another coaching opportunity unless he does something note with that group..

his post game press is just demoralizing stuff, tbh ..

http://www.nba.com/sixers/video/teams/sixers/2015/12/08/1449543179013-BrownPost12.07.15.mp4-158784

SAGirl
12-08-2015, 01:04 AM
I watched it. He's in a difficult situation bc not only does he have young inexperienced players, but also some of them are marginal as NBA players and would not be playing major minutes for any respectable team.

He basically admitted there was nothing to be gained from this game but push it aside. Nothing to teach his young guys out of this beat down. That is demoralizing. The only positive thing he mentioned was that they rallied around each other in the second half, and we know in the second half the beat down continued.

spursistan
12-08-2015, 01:15 AM
:cry

Silver&Black
12-08-2015, 02:36 AM
Yeah...you can obviously tell that Pop is kinda pissed off Brett Brown and the Sixers had to go through that.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs-team

He talks about how he's a "helluva coach", but it's "just not a fair fight."

Mnky
12-08-2015, 02:41 AM
He is a good coach. He has a horrible team talent wise, like most have stated, it's built to lose and half the team wouldn't make another roster. They have youth with potential but if they don't bring in some vets to teach them how to embrace a winning culture, I don't see those youth reaching their potential. You have to bring these guys up as winners, not losers, if you want those draft picks to be worth the work for them.

K...
12-08-2015, 08:48 AM
I think the end plan for Philly is to trade/cull half the players when they flip the switch, add veterans. That may include the coach too. Hard to say.

But I think everyone knows Brett is being set up by management to lose, unlike Jacque who made Orlando mediocre with good talent.

Since we don't know Hinkies end solution we don't what players brett is supposed to be developing.

Unlike the Lakers,, who only have 3-4 good prospects and nothing else, the Sixers have picks to trade and flexibility to trade all players

Old School 44
12-08-2015, 09:00 AM
The good thing for Brett is even if he's made the scapegoat and gets fired, he always has a job in SA with Pop, and maybe even with Bud in Atlanta.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Brett is a great development player coach. People forget the Sixers were actually only 4 games under .500 with Carter-Williams and Young and the Sixers management traded both players. You can't blame Brett. I think the Sixers will be looking for a wing or guard in next year's draft.

I doubt the Sixers fire Brown b/c their the ones that put him in this mess. You don't trade away your best players unless you are tanking on purpose.

GSH
12-08-2015, 09:41 AM
I doubt the Sixers fire Brown b/c their the ones that put him in this mess. You don't trade away your best players unless you are tanking on purpose.

I don't think they'll fire Brown because they just hired Colangelo to be Hinkie's keeper. If they hadn't done that, I think Brown might have walked. More to the point, I think he should have walked. (I also think Silver may have put pressure on the Sixers' owner to stop making a mockery of the damn league, and hire Colangelo to start the process of becoming a legitimate team again.) I think firing Brown would be a PR nightmare, at a time when they need to show some stability and purpose.

The Sixers (Hinkie) stockpiled all these draft picks, but if he had been left alone to decide, they would have pissed them all away. Guarantee it. That's been the scenario I've been dreading. Not because I care about the Sixers, but I just hate to see any players be part of a circus freak show. Not to mention what it would do to Brown.

If I were in Brown's shoes, and if I did have ANY leverage, I would throw whatever I had to at getting Chip Engelland away from the Spurs. With all the young players they are going to have coming onto the roster, hiring Engelland would be a top priority for me. And I would kick the owner's ass to let me offer whatever it would take to get him to say yes. I don't know if it would even be possible, but I would sure as hell try. So I sort of expect Brown to try.

SASdynasty!
12-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Yeah...you can obviously tell that Pop is kinda pissed off Brett Brown and the Sixers had to go through that.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs-team

He talks about how he's a "helluva coach", but it's "just not a fair fight."
Pop with the truth here. Shooting 7 airballs in the NBA is a sign if there ever was one of how lopsided the talent is.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Pop with the truth here. Shooting 7 airballs in the NBA is a sign if there ever was one of how lopsided the talent is.

Not one guard or wing player on the Sixers would even make it on the Spurs roster. Hell, some wouldn't even make the Spurs D-League roster.

Brett started off like 7-6 his first season with the Sixers. Then all of a sudden, he started cutting minutes of Carter-Williams and throwing out there cookie lineups. I remember at the time stating it was like the Sixers told Brett to STOP winning and Sixers lost like 14 straight.

Brown has proven he can coached. But it was painfully obvious to anyone that the Sixers FO didn't want him winning, well at least not right now. I think they get themselves a wing player like Simmons from LSU to play SG and a legitimate NBA PG via FA and actually start doing better next year. Embid will be back as well. Saric is coming over next year as well.

A starting lineup of Noel, Okafor, Saric, Simmons (possibly) and soon to be name PG would be a great lineup for Brown to develop. Consider Embid will be coming off the bench as well. Just imagine if Saric came over this year and Carter-Williams was still on the team. No way the Sixers would suck as bad as they do now.

cjw
12-08-2015, 10:13 AM
I saw articles on a contract extension yesterday, so doubt he's on the way out (unless by his own volition).

FromWayDowntown
12-08-2015, 10:14 AM
I don't have the sense that Brett is on the clock in Philly or that the league wide view of his coaching chops is really in question. It's interesting to me that with the move to bring in Colangelo, the only one in Philly who appears to be under fire is Hinkie; from all appearances and reports, it seems that Brett is relatively safe there -- likely because everyone knows that he's been set up to fail by a GM with a plan that is theoretically valid but might ultimately prove more damaging to the franchise than being mediocre would have been. He's basically been told to lose and then been given a roster full of guys who are there to ensure that happens as much as possible.

Even if Brett is ultimately a victim of Hinkie's poorly-executed plan, having Pop's continued and loud endorsement will be valuable to him and I doubt that Pop will withdraw that view of Brett anytime soon.

BackHome
12-08-2015, 10:25 AM
Not watch much of
phillys game but I didn't know they were that bad. It seems they gutted their team to get draft picks. I could honestly see a couple of D league teams being able to beat them. I stopped counting how many air balls they shot

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Not one guard or wing player on the Sixers would even make it on the Spurs roster. Hell, some wouldn't even make the Spurs D-League roster.

Brett started off like 7-6 his first season with the Sixers. Then all of a sudden, he started cutting minutes of Carter-Williams and throwing out there cookie lineups. I remember at the time stating it was like the Sixers told Brett to STOP winning and Sixers lost like 14 straight.

Brown has proven he can coached. But it was painfully obvious to anyone that the Sixers FO didn't want him winning, well at least not right now. I think they get themselves a wing player like Simmons from LSU to play SG and a legitimate NBA PG via FA and actually start doing better next year. Embid will be back as well. Saric is coming over next year as well.

A starting lineup of Noel, Okafor, Saric, Simmons (possibly) and soon to be name PG would be a great lineup for Brown to develop. Consider Embid will be coming off the bench as well. Just imagine if Saric came over this year and Carter-Williams was still on the team. No way the Sixers would suck as bad as they do now.

Saric won't go to Philly for one more year because he'd be bound to the rookie scale.

spursistan
12-08-2015, 11:09 AM
Since the summer of 2014, NBA owners have been lobbying the league's front office to step in with regard to the direction of the Philadelphia 76ers (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/phi/philadelphia-76ers), sources told ESPN.com on Monday night. It was that effort that helped lead to the hiring of Jerry Colangelo to a senior position earlier Monday, the sources said.
NBA commissioner Adam Silver was instrumental in forming the partnership between Colangelo and 76ers owner Joshua Harris, according to the sources.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14317233/nba-owners-lobbied-league-office-philadelphia-76ers-changes

From what have emerged, it does seem that Hinkie is the one whose position got weakened here..I don't think he can scapegoat Brett now..Pop/Colangelo have mended fences, so I expect Brown to be given full opportunity with better roster next season and his future will be decided from there..

Killakobe81
12-08-2015, 12:19 PM
I don't think they'll fire Brown because they just hired Colangelo to be Hinkie's keeper. If they hadn't done that, I think Brown might have walked. More to the point, I think he should have walked. (I also think Silver may have put pressure on the Sixers' owner to stop making a mockery of the damn league, and hire Colangelo to start the process of becoming a legitimate team again.) I think firing Brown would be a PR nightmare, at a time when they need to show some stability and purpose.

The Sixers (Hinkie) stockpiled all these draft picks, but if he had been left alone to decide, they would have pissed them all away. Guarantee it. That's been the scenario I've been dreading. Not because I care about the Sixers, but I just hate to see any players be part of a circus freak show. Not to mention what it would do to Brown.

If I were in Brown's shoes, and if I did have ANY leverage, I would throw whatever I had to at getting Chip Engelland away from the Spurs. With all the young players they are going to have coming onto the roster, hiring Engelland would be a top priority for me. And I would kick the owner's ass to let me offer whatever it would take to get him to say yes. I don't know if it would even be possible, but I would sure as hell try. So I sort of expect Brown to try.

great points was asking the lakers to do the same. there is no cap on coaches so we should have the best not the worst staff in the NBA ... ugggh

T_L_P
12-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Watching Pop and Colangelo was very awkward.

Ahyway, I think Brett is a good coach. He just has no talent on the team. Thankfully it seems the Sixers are keeping him off when they try getting competitive, so he'll have a chance to prove if he's good enough.

GSH
12-08-2015, 12:55 PM
great points was asking the lakers to do the same. there is no cap on coaches so we should have the best not the worst staff in the NBA ... ugggh

I know a number of teams have tried to hire Chip. I've been worried that one of them is going to succeed, sooner rather than later. Since Philly is obviously looking toward developing young players, and many of them will likely have questionable mechanics, Engelland would be a great addition for them. And Brown knows it.

Not being a Laker fan myself :p: I can't say that I am rooting for you to get your wish. But I can't deny your logic.

Since you are a Laker fan, I'm sure you know this. But Philly will get the Lakers' first round draft pick next year, if it falls out of the top 3. Which means that the Lakers aren't just tanking to try and get the most ping pong balls. They're tanking to at least get their first round (lottery) pick at all. They can't afford to finish anywhere out of the bottom three. There's your reason why they don't splurge on a better coaching staff.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-08-2015, 01:29 PM
I know a number of teams have tried to hire Chip. I've been worried that one of them is going to succeed, sooner rather than later. Since Philly is obviously looking toward developing young players, and many of them will likely have questionable mechanics, Engelland would be a great addition for them. And Brown knows it.

It's not happening. Chip had a interview a couple of years ago where he said he was happy in SA and that his family loves it there. A few of his kids are still in School. Plus he said that the influx of young Spurs players and talent keeps him busy and occupied.

TheDoctor
12-08-2015, 01:50 PM
I felt bad for BB last nite. Actually, I feel kinda depressed today. Glad the Spurs won't play the Sixers again.

Seventyniner
12-08-2015, 01:54 PM

Of course money's not everything. Remember all those capped-to-hell Mavs, Blazers, Knicks teams that were 2nd round fodder at best? And Prokhorov's experiment in Brooklyn...

Ownership sets the tone and unfortunately for you, the Lakers' ownership is one of the worst in the league.

DMC
12-08-2015, 02:50 PM
I call bullshit. You can take a college team and do better than that shit. Those guys act like they've never played ball in their lives. There's no sets, nothing that makes any sense at all. They don't need "veteran leadership", they need ownership that gives a shit about competing. It's not just about winning or losing. The team needs to put forth an effort, Utah Jazz level shit at least. You can go into Utah and you can win but you're going to get a game out of them. Not true in Philly, those fuckers are playing And-1.

I don't feel bad for Brett. He's getting paid a lot of money to coach a YMCA level squad that couldn't beat a good D-league team. It's not because they don't have the talent, they just don't have the leadership from ownership down and Brett is not an exception being basically a neophyte coach.

DMC
12-08-2015, 03:03 PM
The good thing for Brett is even if he's made the scapegoat and gets fired, he always has a job in SA with Pop, and maybe even with Bud in Atlanta.

Or with Doc or with George Karl or Steve Kerr or with damn near any coach in the league. Having an assistant who was trained under Pop is a positive thing. I cannot imagine Brett Brown looking too hard for an assistant coaching spot.

FuzzyLumpkins
12-08-2015, 03:11 PM
Brown's offense got that corner three open how many times? How many times did they air ball it? I've never seen anything like that in a pro game. Those guards should be in the d-league if that. They have Noel, Okafor, and Covington and that is it. They have no outside shooting. Just a terrible roster.

Old School 44
12-08-2015, 03:30 PM
Or with Doc or with George Karl or Steve Kerr or with damn near any coach in the league. Having an assistant who was trained under Pop is a positive thing. I cannot imagine Brett Brown looking too hard for an assistant coaching spot.
True, the Spurs influence extends a long way. I just think he'd end up back with guys he's probably closest to.

spursistan
12-08-2015, 03:34 PM
On Hinkie getting potentially undercut..

Here's Windhorst: "Despite Colangelo's affirming Hinkie will retain final say on personnel matters and Harris' saying this move was not a deviation from their plan, those who know Colangelo believe he will have major influence on significant decisions going forward.

"Here's USA Today's Jeff Zillgitt, who was the first to report that Silver was involved (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/sixers/2015/12/07/jerry-colangelo-hire-change-rebuilding-plan-sam-hinkie-76ers/76954620/?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GMIB%2012/8/2015&utm_term=NBA%20National%20Newsletter): "Don't mistake this as a PR move or a consultation role. The 76ers hired Colangelo to rebuild the team faster than Hinkie."

Here's Yahoo!'s Adrian Wojnarowski (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--despite-front-office-change--76ers-discussing-extension-for-coach-brett-brown-222754461.html): "Ownership short-circuited Hinkie's tanking process on Monday, inserting Colangelo, 76, as the special adviser to the managing general partner and chairman of basketball operations." Woj used the word "usurping" elsewhere.

This is not a PR stunt, y'all.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/12/8/9870742/philadelphia-76ers-jerry-colangelo-nba-owners-adam-silver

cd98
12-08-2015, 03:35 PM
I saw articles on a contract extension yesterday, so doubt he's on the way out (unless by his own volition).

Pretty crazy that his record warrants an extension.

DMC
12-08-2015, 03:41 PM
True, the Spurs influence extends a long way. I just think he'd end up back with guys he's probably closest to.
I cannot see a coach moving backwards to what he was doing before nor could I see Pop allowing it. Pop is about bringing in fresh blood and giving ex-players a try as assistant coach. Brett set out on his walkabout, he's not coming back.

spursistan
12-08-2015, 03:42 PM
From Woj article..

Despite the usurping of general manager Sam Hinkie’s authority with the hiring of Jerry Colangelo, coach Brett Brown remains firmly in the Philadelphia 76ers (https://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/phi/)' future plans, league sources told Yahoo Sports.Sixers ownership has already been discussing a contract extension for Brown, who has a year and a half left on his original four-year deal, league sources told Yahoo.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--despite-front-office-change--76ers-discussing-extension-for-coach-brett-brown-222754461.html

hater
12-08-2015, 03:42 PM
Oh yeah he is to blame as well. No franchise has such an abortion of a showing without each and every single employee fucking up. Screw him and swnd him back to kangarooland.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-08-2015, 03:43 PM
From Woj article..

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--despite-front-office-change--76ers-discussing-extension-for-coach-brett-brown-222754461.html

The Philly FO was the one who snow balled. He actually had a winning record his first year until Philly pulled the plug on him early in the season.

DMC
12-08-2015, 03:44 PM
Brown's offense got that corner three open how many times? How many times did they air ball it? I've never seen anything like that in a pro game. Those guards should be in the d-league if that. They have Noel, Okafor, and Covington and that is it. They have no outside shooting. Just a terrible roster.
They have Embiid if he ever walks again. If he comes back next year and they win 40 games for whatever reason, Brett will be a CotY candidate.

SAGirl
12-08-2015, 04:49 PM
Well anyone worth anything he's had to work with has been taken away. Hinkie treated players like trade chips. Anyone who showed any improvement and could be traded for something they gave out. Anyone helping win some games MCW, Young, they sent out and brought the worst they could find.

It's a hapless situation for any of those young players in there, and probably yes, the culture suffers. They are not motivated, they likely don't work very hard, and have all sorts of mishaps like Okafor and Embiid's diva attitude.

Pop said he wouldn't last there a month, with good reason. He would probably fire himself. :lol