PDA

View Full Version : FEMA Was Broken Long Before Katrina

Nbadan
09-20-2005, 04:06 AM
SUN-SENTINEL INVESTIGATION
SPECIAL INVESTIGATION: FEMA's faults extend beyond handling of Hurricane Katrina (WB 39)
Sep 18, 2005

"PREVIOUS COVERAGE

Cashing in on distaster: Hurricane Frances hit 100 miles north of Miami-Dade County in 2004, but Sun-Sentinel reporters found that the federal government approved $28 million in storm claims there for new furniture, clothes and appliances.
Day two of the Special Investigation: Page 1 (PDF)
Sep 19, 2005

The handling of aid to victims of Hurricane Katrina is only the latest in a series of missteps and fraud that has plagued this tax-funded government agency. The Sun-Sentinel took a look at 20 recent disasters and found mismanagement and misallocation abound.

THE FEMA INVESTIGATION

This report is the latest in a series by the South Florida Sun-Sentinel examining the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s disaster assistance payments. The newspaper first revealed that FEMA paid $31 million in Miami-Dade County for Hurricane Frances, even though the Labor Day weekend storm made landfall 100 miles to the north. Subsequent reports detailed how FEMA inspectors receive little training; that the agency paid for funerals for deaths unrelated to the storm; and that some criminals were hired to inspect damage. The reports resulted in recommendations by a U.S. Senate committee and the inspector general of the Department of Homeland Security for widespread changes in the way the agency administers its program. FEMA announced last month that it was making some alterations in the way it awards aid. The U.S. attorney in Miami has charged 16 Miami-Dade aid recipients with fraud. Fourteen have pleaded guilty and one was found not guilty after trial.

Sun Sentinel (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-femareport,0,7651043.storygallery?coll=sfla-news-sfla)

Dos
09-20-2005, 06:47 AM
the great society rocks.... lol

Nbadan
09-20-2005, 01:09 PM
FEMA's frozen fiasco...

Frozen FEMA fiasco: Truckers stuck with ice meant for Gulf Coast

Hundreds of thousands of pounds of ice meant for the Gulf Coast arrived yesterday not in storm-ravaged New Orleans or Mississippi but in Gloucester, where almost two dozen tractor-trailers spent the day parked on Rogers Street with their engines running.

Hundreds of truck drivers from Minnesota, Alabama, Georgia and even Massachusetts have been crisscrossing the country since the beginning of September, moving loads of ice from storage facility to storage facility and earning big bucks from the federal government to do little more than sit in their cabs and not unload their precious cargo.

As 18 truckers waited on Rogers Street just before noontime yesterday, many wondered aloud why the shipments were coming here and not being sent to those in need after Hurricane Katrina along the Gulf Coast.

"I still don't understand what we're doing here," Ron Johnson said as he stood outside the AmeriCold Logistics storage facility, waiting to drop off 84,000 pounds of ice yesterday. "We're going around in circles."

Gloucester Times (http://www.gloucestertimes.com/)

Useruser666
09-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Kathy Cable, FEMA spokeswoman, said the trucks were redirected because too much ice was ordered for relief efforts since many of the devastated regions were evacuated.

"Sometimes we have more ice and water that was ordered than is necessary," she said. "The drivers are then redirected to various mobilization centers across the country. If these centers are full, which sometimes happens, they are sent to another storage facility. Unfortunately the truckers don't quite understand that. We know that they want to help."

Nbadan
09-20-2005, 01:54 PM
(Nothing, like most of his points

You would think that they would need ice in NO to hold all those cadavers instead of burying them in mass graves until they can be genetically linked to relatives.

Marcus Bryant
09-20-2005, 01:56 PM
I heard that the cadavers were being mixed with concrete to fortify the levees. Do I have a link? Fuck no, who needs a link?

SpursWoman
09-20-2005, 01:57 PM
:lmao

Useruser666
09-20-2005, 02:17 PM
I thought the cadavers had already been looted?

Marcus Bryant
09-20-2005, 02:17 PM
No, the cadavers were ordered by FEMA to blow up the levees.

Useruser666
09-20-2005, 02:18 PM
You would think that they would need ice in NO to hold all those cadavers instead of burying them in mass graves until they can be genetically linked to relatives.

What? You do remember they set up a large scale morgue outside of NO right?

Shelly
09-20-2005, 02:18 PM
I heard that the cadavers were being mixed with concrete to fortify the levees. Do I have a link? Fuck no, who needs a link?

If they cremate them, can't the body ashes be mixed with water and be used as mortar? Recycling at it's finest!

Useruser666
09-20-2005, 02:21 PM
FEMA set up a temporary morgue in the town of St. Gabriel, about 70 miles west of New Orleans.

Another temporary morgue is set up at the intersection of Interstates 10 and 610 inside the city, FEMA spokesman Bill Lehman said.

What? No ice needed? I guess they're going to store the bodies inside Slurpee machines until the next FEMA generated hurricane can wash them out to sea.

Shelly
09-20-2005, 02:23 PM
What? No ice needed? I guess they're going to store the bodies inside Slurpee machines until the next FEMA generated hurricane can wash them out to sea.

ewwwww!

SpursWoman
09-20-2005, 02:24 PM

I want one of those! After the bodies are at the bottom of the Gulf...I bet I could find one pretty cheap on ebay.

:smokin

Marcus Bryant
09-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Better yet, maybe some of the cadavers shot FEMA-provided anti-tank missles into the 17th street levee before leaving on FEMA-provided refrigerated trucks for New Hampshire? That would account for some reports of explosions for which I don't have a link and it would also explain the low body count in New Orleans so far.

Shelly
09-20-2005, 02:26 PM
I want one of those! After the bodies are at the bottom of the Gulf...I bet I could find one pretty cheap on ebay.

:smokin

eww! eww! eww!

Sick bastards!

:lol

Yonivore
09-20-2005, 02:29 PM
:vomit

Useruser666
09-20-2005, 02:53 PM
"Is that cherry or body flavor?"

Shelly
09-20-2005, 03:23 PM
"Is that cherry or body flavor?"

GROOSSSSSSSSSSSSS

and :lmao

SpursWoman
09-20-2005, 03:27 PM
"Chemical Burn Cola" or "Rasberry Blue Lips"

Shelly
09-20-2005, 03:30 PM
You two were made for each other. :throwupsp

:lol

Nbadan
09-20-2005, 03:36 PM
Last I heard there is a bar on Bourbon Street that never closed, I'm sure they could use some ice.

You gotta wonder how much it's costing FEMA to ship that ice around from town to town on 18 18-wheelers? Shhiitt..just sell that shit to the nearest raspa seller.

SpursWoman
09-20-2005, 03:39 PM
You gotta wonder how much it's costing FEMA to ship that ice around from town to town on 18 18-wheelers? Shhiitt..just sell that shit to the nearest raspa seller.

Rent a big old 'Rita machine & party at Dan's house. :drunk :lol

Nbadan
09-20-2005, 03:45 PM
Think about the mixed drinks on the rocks that will never get to get made if we let that ice go to waste - damn it!

:hat

Useruser666
09-20-2005, 04:43 PM
What should they do with the ice? How about get to NO just in time to float out when the storm surge from Rita recedes.

Nbadan
09-20-2005, 05:08 PM
There's an idea, dump the ice in the Gulf and hope you lower the water temperature enough to effect Hurricane Rita.

:hat