PDA

View Full Version : NBA: What lead to modern players having better handles than 50s-70s players?

12-08-2015, 05:51 PM
It's always been a pretty important aspect of the game, so surely it was focused on by players/coaches in practices, even back in the early days. Imo, it's how lenient refs have become with calling carrying violations. Virtually every marginally good ball handler today carries the ball, but it's rarely called, and when I have seen it called, it's on someone who isn't known as a good ball handler. I obviously wasn't alive in the 50s, 60s, or 70s to see how it was called then but it seems like the only explanation.

MI21
12-08-2015, 06:55 PM
I think Boban has better ball handling skills than Bob Cousy, tbh

apalisoc_9
12-08-2015, 07:04 PM
A 16 year old HS kid will be q superstar in yhe 60s

Kawhitstorm
12-08-2015, 07:46 PM
Back in the days, coaches frowned upon "ball stoppers" & the only way to play was to pass the ball or throw it to the big guy inside. You had guys like Pistol Pete/Earl Monroe in the 70s but it was the ABA-NBA merger & Isiah Thomas/Magic that popularized it in the early 80s. Even Jordan was handcuffed when he was in North Carolina & he looked like a totally different player during his rookie season in he NBA.

Basically, the short answer is "old white coaches" held back the players.

DMC
12-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Kids didn't grow up playing basketball. The rule was dribble to run, but nothing was said about the need to run.

TDMVPDPOY
12-08-2015, 09:57 PM
define modern player and what decade it started shifting with the masses, cause the 90s was still bullshit basketball

lol cant dribble with other hand
cant shoot with other hand
can only drive into lane direction of shooting hand

Seventyniner
12-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention.

Mitch
12-08-2015, 10:03 PM
define modern player and what decade it started shifting with the masses, cause the 90s was still bullshit basketball

lol cant dribble with other hand
cant shoot with other hand
can only drive into lane direction of shooting hand

Looks like you started going to your English classes.

Mr. Body
12-08-2015, 10:12 PM
Back in the day players hardly guarded each other. It was all mid-range and you'd still see guys sag off them. No reason to learn even basic ball handling moves back then.

12-08-2015, 10:23 PM
Looks like you started going to your English classes.
:lol

12-08-2015, 10:29 PM
So it wasn't a necessity and wasn't focused on like I assumed? So how can you rank any great guard/wing from that era with the great perimeter players of today? They weren't as skilled on offense and didn't see the tough defense of today.

Maddog
12-09-2015, 08:18 AM
Back in the day players hardly guarded each other. It was all mid-range and you'd still see guys sag off them. No reason to learn even basic ball handling moves back then.

This is definitely part of it.

Also the rules on turning the ball over have relaxed. In the early 60s many of today's players would have been called for carrying the ball. You had to have your hand right over the ball and not from the side.

lebomb
12-09-2015, 08:37 AM
One on one ball handling may be better now adays, but passing and ball movement was definitely better back in the day. Coaches besides, Kerr and Pop do not teach this anymore. That is why both franchises are so successful. Ball movement, not as much one on one play.

Koolaid_Man
12-09-2015, 08:41 AM
It's always been a pretty important aspect of the game, so surely it was focused on by players/coaches in practices, even back in the early days. Imo, it's how lenient refs have become with calling carrying violations. Virtually every marginally good ball handler today carries the ball, but it's rarely called, and when I have seen it called, it's on someone who isn't known as a good ball handler. I obviously wasn't alive in the 50s, 60s, or 70s to see how it was called then but it seems like the only explanation.

Ok...I see you're being serious which is rare these days so sit down and let me explain....

First off we know that Tim Duncan ain't got no fucking handles what-so-ever...so we can rule out him being the catalyst. The answer in short is MJ started it and Kobe refined it turned it into an art form...tricking the ball off your knee in traffic , freaking niggas every which way like MJ, breaking ankles and shit, splitting double and triple teams and doing all that smarty art fancy shit is courtesy of that Black Mamba nigga....

Here' s a good example of Kobe freaking niggas every which way like MJ:lol

https://youtube/9vaZ8kg72ng

lefty
12-09-2015, 09:05 AM
I think the reason is Eastern bloc training

hater
12-09-2015, 09:40 AM
I blame twitter

Kawhitstorm
12-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Here' s a good example of Kobe freaking niggas every which way like MJ:lol

https://youtube/9vaZ8kg72ng

Italian Jordan copying Chinese-American Jordan against Euro-league scrubs :lol

nRALXwr3rLM (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRALXwr3rLM)

DMC
12-09-2015, 04:18 PM
So it wasn't a necessity and wasn't focused on like I assumed? So how can you rank any great guard/wing from that are with the great perimeter players of today. They weren't as skilled on offense and didn't see the tough defense of today.
You have to rank players against their peers. The fantasy "what if MJ played against Lebron?" or "Russell vs Shaq" talk is just talk. It's basically a different game, but if you could send ANY sports team back in time that far they would probably stomp the shit out of any other sports team unless it's the modern day Lakers and any WNBA team from 5 years ago.

DD
12-09-2015, 04:18 PM
This is actually an interesting question...I remember seeing old clips of Havlicek and others trying to dribble and it was embarrassing to watch tbh

The Gemini Method
12-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Coco nut butter lotion.