PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionary US destroyer begins sea trial: Navy

RandomGuy
12-09-2015, 03:58 PM
Pretty sure it is on a 5 year mission....

http://media.defenceindustrydaily.com/images/SHIP_DDG-1000_Features_lg.jpg

Washington (AFP) - The largest US destroyer ever built headed for sea trials Monday, its angular radar-evading form cutting a distinctive figure on Maine's Kennebec River, the US Navy said.

The $4.3 billion USS Zumwalt is the first in a new line of revolutionary guided missile destroyers.

Hundreds of workers were on hand to cheer the ship as it departed the Bath Iron Works in Maine on Monday traveling down the Kennebec River to the sea, local media reported.

Pictures of the futuristic-looking ship, commanded by Captain James Kirk, were posted on Navy Twitter accounts.

"Zumwalt sails for the first time," the US Navy Sea Systems Command tweeted.

The ship is 600 feet (roughly 180 meters) long and weighs nearly 15,000 tonnes, making it the largest destroyer in the US fleet.

But thanks to its angled hull and deck house, it is designed to look no bigger than a fishing boat on radar.

Its motors are electric powered, driven by an innovative integrated power system that may one day also support an array of energy-intensive weapons like lasers and electromagnetic rail guns.

It is intended to be capable of operating in shallow coastal waters, laying down fire to support forces on shore, as well as conducting anti-aircraft and naval surface warfare.

Only three Zumwalt-class ships will be built, as Congress cut back funding for original plans for 32 ships, driving up the costs per ship.

DJR210
12-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Fuck Russia.. Stealth boats with railguns FTMFW

Mitch
12-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Rail guns will be a game changer when they start popping up on ships and other military installations.

TDMVPDPOY
12-09-2015, 08:22 PM
why did the govt stop the original order?

should just build the 32 since public debt is good debt...

DMX7
12-09-2015, 09:52 PM
Too bad the capt's middle name isn't Tiberius.

Avante
12-09-2015, 10:28 PM
My first ship was a destroyer, the USS John A. Bole. We decommisioned it at Hunters point it was that old. Talk about cramped spaces there it was. We slept 4 to a space, that was 4 hammocks about two feet above the one below. Our lockers were beneath the bottom hammock, yep, a huge hassle for everyone.

Destroyers are known as tin cans for a reason. Out on an angry sea we where tossed about like a can would be, many times dipping so dramatcally we were beneath water, only to bounce back like a rubber ducky in a bath tub.

We had to buckel ourselves in so we did come tumbling out of our bunks on nights like that. And it is crazy trying to steer a ship in a storm while being tossed around.

After a storm you'd find all kinds of weird ass fish on the decks, even the old salts would..."never seen one like that before". Will never forget this bright red one with a weird tail with spikes. A lot of flying fish also,they actually glide.

I was the the guy who blew the pipe and...

LIBERTY CALL LIBERTY CALL, liberty for all authorized personel, LIBERTY CALL

You will never see a sunset/sunrise like you will out at sea.

Never forget the first time we pulled into Hong Kong, I had the watch. So there I am looking through the binoculars knowing we were just a few miles away, when I see.....MCDONALDS....??? Ha!!!!!!!!

Yes, it is just like the movies, a whole community of sand pan boats surrounding the mainland, a floating city.