PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Supreme Court Hears Texas Redistricting Case

FuzzyLumpkins
12-09-2015, 10:12 PM
He said that voters in seats where there is a large proportion of nonvoters — children, undocumented immigrants, felons, prisoners and those with mental disabilities — have outsized influence in the state government.

Justices Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor — all appointed by Democratic presidents — challenged Consovoy on this premise. Ginsberg, in particular, questioned the practicality of the eligible voter standard in the era before women's suffrage.

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/12/08/us-supreme-court-hears-texas-redistricting-casec/

boutons_deux
12-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Texas politicians and their voters fucking suck

boutons_deux
12-09-2015, 10:18 PM
then there's that stupid privileged TX bitch not smart enough to get into UT challenging affirmative action. Once a slave state, always a slave state.

rmt
12-10-2015, 12:19 AM
then there's that stupid privileged TX bitch not smart enough to get into UT challenging affirmative action. Once a slave state, always a slave state.

Let me tell you how it feels on the other side. My dd - 17 AP classes (all 5s), 2370 (out of 2400) SAT, salutatorian, all As with 1 semester B (AP English Language). She and the members (all Asians) of the #1 math team in the US were put on the waiting list at WashU while lesser (black and hispanic) students were accepted. This was so racially oriented and it pissed off the guidance counselors no end. So much for being a top-notch science school - rejecting all the members of the #1 math team in the nation to diversify your class. What do you tell your child when she asks what was the point of all that hard work?

That's how it feels to be rejected BECAUSE of the color of your skin and not judged by the merits of your work.

angrydude
12-10-2015, 01:53 AM
I have a good black friend who scored a 151 on the LSAT and got into UT Law. He knew what was up.

Not to say white people can't get in. The trick for them was to have your parents be active in the local republican club and get a state rep to write you a letter of recommendation.

spurraider21
12-10-2015, 04:46 AM
I have a good black friend who scored a 151 on the LSAT and got into UT Law. He knew what was up.

Not to say white people can't get in. The trick for them was to have your parents be active in the local republican club and get a state rep to write you a letter of recommendation.
thats literally insane. UT law has an acceptance rate around 25% and a 151 is essentially 50th percentile

i had a 170 lsat (albeit with a mediocre gpa)... i wonder what kinda potential i would have had with a darker complexion :lol

boutons_deux
12-10-2015, 08:19 AM
Let me tell you how it feels on the other side. My dd - 17 AP classes (all 5s), 2370 (out of 2400) SAT, salutatorian, all As with 1 semester B (AP English Language). She and the members (all Asians) of the #1 math team in the US were put on the waiting list at WashU while lesser (black and hispanic) students were accepted. This was so racially oriented and it pissed off the guidance counselors no end. So much for being a top-notch science school - rejecting all the members of the #1 math team in the nation to diversify your class. What do you tell your child when she asks what was the point of all that hard work?

That's how it feels to be rejected BECAUSE of the color of your skin and not judged by the merits of your work.

how do you know the non-white accepted students were "lesser"? or do you just assume that from racism?

baseline bum
12-10-2015, 08:25 AM
thats literally insane. UT law has an acceptance rate around 25% and a 151 is essentially 50th percentile

i had a 170 lsat (albeit with a mediocre gpa)... i wonder what kinda potential i would have had with a darker complexion :lol

Potential to be the defendant instead of the lawyer in court tbh?

pgardn
12-10-2015, 08:36 AM
There is also concern about automatic admission for the top 8% or whatever it is now. Some of these kids come from absolutely crappy H schools. They get overwhelmed and fail at UT. So how about a person of color who failed at UT suing for admitting them into a program way beyond their current capabilities... This would be interesting.

Or howsabout a kid attending a school with inflated GPAs transferring to a school with Normal grading practices thereby boosting the individuals standing in the class.

rmt
12-10-2015, 12:30 PM
how do you know the non-white accepted students were "lesser"? or do you just assume that from racism?

boutons, you know what I mean - as do the guidance counselors who had access to not just the test scores, grades, extra-curriculars, peer-tutoring hours (this math team peer tutored), etc. You don't win the national Mu Alpha Theta competition without being some seriously good students. And no, they were not only study bunnies but active in the community, school, etc.

boutons_deux
12-10-2015, 12:34 PM
boutons, you know what I mean - as do the guidance counselors who had access to not just the test scores, grades, extra-curriculars, peer-tutoring hours (this math team peer tutored), etc. You don't win the national Mu Alpha Theta competition without being some seriously good students. And no, they were not only study bunnies but active in the community, school, etc.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2015/12/10/9885594/scalia-affirmative-action-mismatch

btw, extrapolating from specific anecdotes to the general population is bullshit.

spurraider21
12-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Potential to be the defendant instead of the lawyer in court tbh?
:lol

angrydude
12-10-2015, 07:36 PM

Real talk. You know who affirmative action helps the most? Under achieving kids from middle class black families who grew up in white neighborhoods.

The poor ones, the ones whose families are on EBT, and are stuck in the cycle of poverty, (you know, the ones these programs were designed to lift out of poverty), still can't even open the door.