PDA

View Full Version : Numbers Assigned

SENIORSPURSFAN
09-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Van Exel #31 and Marks #40. Your thoughts?

FromWayDowntown
09-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Gosh, what a surprise.

I just wonder who is manning the countdown to Don Harris leading the cavalry to have Van Exel stripped of that number so that the Spurs can retire the jersey of another average player.

Horry For 3!
09-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Oops, I just made a thread about this.

GoSpurs21
09-20-2005, 11:13 AM
I can just see don hairless ranting and raving about Malik and Willie Anderson and how their numbers will be retired after another average player #6 gets retired

what number did Marks were last year?

Horry For 3!
09-20-2005, 11:33 AM
I can just see don hairless ranting and raving about Malik and Willie Anderson and how their numbers will be retired after another average player #6 gets retired

what number did Marks were last year?
Sean Marks = #4 but that went to Finley so he added a 0 to the end of it. 40.

Kip Fanatic
09-20-2005, 11:36 AM
I don't see why the Spurs would want to retire Avery's number. He was great for our community and a great locker room guy, but he wasn't a D Rob or an Iceman.

travis2
09-20-2005, 11:37 AM
LJ et al. lower the boom in 5...4...3...2...

:lol

callo1
09-20-2005, 04:14 PM
I don't see why the Spurs would want to retire Avery's number. He was great for our community and a great locker room guy, but he wasn't a D Rob or an Iceman.

Hmmm...

There is no doubt that Avery was not an upper tier player at his position during his tenure in the league, but I think most fans would like to see him have his number retired for other (intangible) reasons.

A.J. connected to so many Spurs fans due to the fact that although he wasn't the most polished player at his position, he was one of the hardest workers. He was a player that never took the luxury his job afforded him for granted. Avery understood he wasn't the best, and worked his tail off to improve his game every year he was in the league.

While there is no doubt that any Spurs fan loves T.D. and D'Rob, there is just something different about Avery...we appreciate him for so many other reasons...we appreciate him on a different level. Most of us fans do not stand 7 feet tall or have 40" verticals, but rather we as fans sit and watch in awe the incredible physical specimens in sports and marvel at their athletic prowess...we appreciate what they can do, but we never really connect to them on the same level as we do the "common man", the underdog...the Avery Johnson.

In Avery we see ourselves. The weekend warrior that wasn't tall enough, or fast enough to make it to the "next level" in the sport that we love. We see the guy that got cut, but never gave up. The guy that beat the odds, perceivered and did what his peers (Damon Stoudamire) said he could not do... hit the game winning shot in the NBA Finals to propel his team to its first ever world championship.

In my opinion there should always be room in the rafters for players like Avery. Who knows, maybe in the future a late round pick will arrive to the Spurs training camp, see Avery's jersey and realize that with hard work and effort, he too may one day see his jersey hanging from the SBC rafters alongside #50, #32, #21 and #6.

T Park
09-20-2005, 04:20 PM
his number retired for other (intangible) reasons.

Bullshit.

Retiring numbers is based on play on the court.

Everything else is BS that isnt counted.

If we retired numbers for guys that were great guys in the community then youd have to retire every number of every guy of every year.

callo1
09-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Bullshit.

If we retired numbers for guys that were great guys in the community then youd have to retire every number of every guy of every year.

Hmmm, do me a favor...when you quote me, don't take it out of context.

I never said he should get his number retired based ONLY on his character or other intangible reasons. If you remember correctly, Avery was huge in the playoffs during the '99 Championship run.

If you think the stuff that "doesn't count" is "bullshit" then answer this:

Why aren't Terell Owens or Randy Moss still playing for the the teams that drafted them ?

They put up the "numbers" and did all the stuff that wasn't "bullshit" and "counted" right ?

I fervently await your masterful answer.

TOP-CHERRY
09-20-2005, 04:40 PM
don hairless

TOP-CHERRY
09-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Bullshit.

He speaketh the truth.

ChumpDumper
09-20-2005, 06:25 PM
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1996/debates/sights.sounds/1016/dole.jpg
Where's the outrage?

hussker
09-20-2005, 06:34 PM
The only number I think most of us really care about is "four", and not the number for the guy on the court, the number BANNER we should earn this season!

31 3+1 = 4
40 4+0 = 4
4=4

Coincidence? I think not!

FOUR..what is it good for? Absolutely SA!

Sense
09-20-2005, 09:06 PM
Who cares if they got those numbers, Malik Rose and Willis don't deserve to be retired in San Antonio, Willis' Jersey will be retired in ATL, Rose did nothing but be a good guy outside the court.

Cant_Be_Faded
09-20-2005, 09:09 PM
I miss Malik.

Solid D
09-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Nooooooo! Not #40. That was Kurt Nimphius' number. The outrage!!!

Marcus Bryant
09-20-2005, 09:27 PM
TPark's bagging again on the leader of the Spurs' first championship team. What an ungrateful fickle pussy.

You gave up on this team and you disparage those who never did? Get lost, Stay Puff.

angel_luv
09-20-2005, 09:58 PM
I would rather that Brent Barry had inherited his and Malik's old number since they were team mates, but I will trust Nick to wear it well. No complaints.

As for 40, if Sean likes it so do I.

samikeyp
09-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Bullshit.

in your opinion...not a fact or a rule.

The fact is that a franchise can retire any number for any reason it wants. Everyone always seems to forget that.

Personally, I think community involvement should be considered. Just my .02 though.

I will make this prediction..or actually, re-state it.....Avery Johnson's number will be retired. Some fans will love it, others will hate it and it will be debated forever but it will happen. Read this next part carefully....I am not saying that it should be or shouldn't be. For the record, I do not have a strong feeling one way or the other. I won't be bothered if it happens or if it doesn't.

My question is this...those of you who are against it...will it change your opinion of the Spurs? Will it piss you off but you will get over it or is it so blasphemous that your allegiance will waver?

samikeyp
09-20-2005, 10:20 PM
Nooooooo! Not #40. That was Kurt Nimphius' number. The outrage!!!

I was hoping it would be saved for Willie Anderson...actually a dollar sign in a red circle with a line through it should be for Willie on behalf of the child support he probably still owes! :lol

2centsworth
09-20-2005, 11:11 PM
The only number I think most of us really care about is "four", and not the number for the guy on the court, the number BANNER we should earn this season!

31 3+1 = 4
40 4+0 = 4
4=4

Coincidence? I think not!

FOUR..what is it good for? Absolutely SA!

YEEE HAAAA!

SequSpur
09-20-2005, 11:44 PM
If Avery gets his number retired so should Artis Gilmore, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Tim Duncan, Bruce Bowen, Robert Horry, Zarko Paspalj, Lloyd Daniels and the Coyote.

STFU.

Trainwreck2100
09-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Don't forget Antoine Carr

SequSpur
09-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Of course, Antoine, Jerome Kersey, Terry Porter, Mario Elie....

Retire all of them.

Trainwreck2100
09-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Dominique Wilkins. He didn't play well, but he's still nique.

j-6
09-20-2005, 11:56 PM
I personally don't give a shit if they retire Avery's jersey or not. If some fans and the front office want it done, be my guest.

I will say this, though. If you're planning on putting #6 up in the rafters, I'd like to see #12 up there one day.

Solid D
09-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Future numbers to retire:

2!

xcoriate
09-21-2005, 12:39 AM
I think no9 will too when its all said and done.

sprrs
09-21-2005, 01:26 AM
Tony's debatable, but in the end I think he will have had a big enough impact on the Spurs that he will have his jersey retired.

Manu seems like a given to me at this point though.

Sense
09-21-2005, 01:35 AM
Tony's debatable, but in the end I think he will have had a big enough impact on the Spurs that he will have his jersey retired.

Manu seems like a given to me at this point though.

If tony becomes an allstar and gets his shooting up, he'll get his jersey retired.

xcoriate
09-21-2005, 02:17 AM
Which over the course of his career is highly likely.

FromWayDowntown
09-21-2005, 01:10 PM
I'll say this -- unless something happens to drive Parker out of San Antonio, he'll likely leave here having surpassed AJ, Silas, and Moore in almost every conceivable category. And if he never makes an all-star team, Tony will have as many NBA All-Star appearances as AJ, Silas, and Moore combined. (to be fair, Silas did have 2 ABA All-Star appearances).

If those guys have their numbers retired, and Parker's numbers are better, and he was a stalwart on a team that won multiple championships, I'm curious about how retiring #9 is subject to any debate.

At the rate the Spurs retire jerseys, though, its going to be tough on those 2030-31 NBA Officials to signal fouls against players wearing 67, 78, 93, 59, and 105.

Marcus Bryant
09-21-2005, 01:28 PM
I don't see what has everyone's panties in a bunch. The requirement for a franchise to retire numbers does not rise to the same level as the Hall of Fame. Avery Johnson was integral to that 1st championship team. He, not DRob, not TD, not Pop was the leader of that team. AJ showed the way. Winning championships is about more than just having the talent on the court. You have to have the desire, the heart and the leadership.

The '99 Spurs have always been kind of an odd duck when it comes to NBA title teams because their most competitive player, their leader was not their franchise player. In some respects that hurt the Spurs from the early to mid 90s.

I'd support retiring Bruce's jersey one day because without his D, the Spurs don't win in '03 and '05, just like without AJ's leadership the Spurs don't make that 1st trip up the mountain.

Out of the DRob/TD era, if you retire

...that seems about right. For a franchise that will have won 3 (at least, we hope) championships over the course of 20 years and has one of the highest overall winning percentages in all of pro sport, that does not seem excessive.

samikeyp
09-21-2005, 02:00 PM
The problem is assuming that there are criteria for number retirement....there isn't.

Marcus Bryant
09-21-2005, 02:07 PM
The problem is assuming that there are criteria for number retirement....there isn't.

Ultimately there is some criteria. I think that either a player was a franchise player (Ice, DRob & TD), 2nd or 3rd star with All-Star level game (Elliott, Manu and, I project, TP) or essential role player in championship runs (AJ & Bruce). I'd also add that the 'key role players' be either a leader of those teams or someone who epitomizes those teams. Both AJ and Bruce fit that.

Overall, I'd say that longevity is another key factor and that the player was a starter. Though if Horry comes up big in another NBA Finals the case for retiring his Spurs' # will be fairly strong.

Swishy McJackass
09-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Whatever number Dwayne Schintzius wore should be in the rafters.

thispego
09-21-2005, 03:00 PM
I don't see what has everyone's panties in a bunch. The requirement for a franchise to retire numbers does not rise to the same level as the Hall of Fame. Avery Johnson was integral to that 1st championship team. He, not DRob, not TD, not Pop was the leader of that team. AJ showed the way. Winning championships is about more than just having the talent on the court. You have to have the desire, the heart and the leadership.

The '99 Spurs have always been kind of an odd duck when it comes to NBA title teams because their most competitive player, their leader was not their franchise player. In some respects that hurt the Spurs from the early to mid 90s.

I'd support retiring Bruce's jersey one day because without his D, the Spurs don't win in '03 and '05, just like without AJ's leadership the Spurs don't make that 1st trip up the mountain.

Out of the DRob/TD era, if you retire

...that seems about right. For a franchise that will have won 3 (at least, we hope) championships over the course of 20 years and has one of the highest overall winning percentages in all of pro sport, that does not seem excessive.
great post mb

anyone know Oberto's #?

thispego
09-21-2005, 03:02 PM

samikeyp
09-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Ultimately there is some criteria. I think that either a player was a franchise player (Ice, DRob & TD), 2nd or 3rd star with All-Star level game (Elliott, Manu and, I project, TP) or essential role player in championship runs (AJ & Bruce). I'd also add that the 'key role players' be either a leader of those teams or someone who epitomizes those teams. Both AJ and Bruce fit that.

That is your criteria....not neccessarily the teams. I happen to agree with you but you and I do not make that call. Its all subjective. If Holt wants to put Chuck Nevitt's 52 up there, he can. Basically, you can't break the rules if there are no rulesn to break.

drivanroca
09-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Future numbers to retire:

2!

:tu :tu :tu

spurschick
09-21-2005, 07:15 PM
I don't know if this question has been answered already...
When Horry goes in to the Hall of Fame, will it be as a Rocket, Laker or Spur?

hussker
09-21-2005, 07:36 PM
#14.....
No, not Beno...

Jaime Feick!

samikeyp
09-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Jaime Feick!

#23...no not Devin...

Tyrone Corbin! :p