PDA

View Full Version : Does the NBA need to change the rules for an even playing field, tbh?

HarlemHeat37
12-10-2015, 12:31 PM
The NBA has a precedent for changing rules to even the playing field when there's a completely dominant force in the league IIRC..

Wilt Chamberlain's dominance of the league forced them to widen the lane from 12 feet to 16 feet, because his presence was "unfair" for the competition IIRC..

The Warriors have maximized the value of 3-point shooting, to the point where they are virtually unstoppable and unbeatable, tbh..is it time for the NBA to widen the entire court and change the distance of the 3-point lines? This would open up more lanes for driving and attacking the rim, etc..

They have completely changed the concept of basketball, as Pop said yesterday..

Budkin
12-10-2015, 12:33 PM
No.

r0drig0lac
12-10-2015, 12:39 PM
if they change, Curry automatically becomes one of the five greatest players of all time

TheDoctor
12-10-2015, 12:47 PM
I don't know about that, but I have this conspiracy theory about the League leveling inter-league games through officiating. The NBA was getting too much heat from its Playoff format and not going with a fairer Best of 16 bracket. All of a sudden the EAST is the hardest (on paper) and more homogeneous conference.

NameLess Scrub
12-10-2015, 12:53 PM
They can remove the 3pt line and instantly turn Curry into an inefficient player :lol

ParadoxEN
12-10-2015, 01:00 PM
After Curry wins FMVP, IMO

BatManu20
12-10-2015, 01:16 PM
Should move the 3-point line from 23.9 feet to 25 feet tbh

GSH
12-10-2015, 01:18 PM
I don't know about that, but I have this conspiracy theory about the League leveling inter-league games through officiating. The NBA was getting too much heat from its Playoff format and not going with a fairer Best of 16 bracket. All of a sudden the EAST is the hardest (on paper) and more homogeneous conference.

The league has, and does, encourage certain styles of play, with the goal of making the game more exciting (and bringing in more money). I don't think it's designed to favor any team, conference, or anything else. It's marketing.

A few years ago, one particular NBA exec took things too far. He would send the refs "advisories", where he would encourage them to make certain calls more often. And his examples would be a half dozen clips of one player, doing whatever he wanted to stop. And afterwards, that one player would get hammered over and over again - as you would expect. That practice was stopped, and the exec was removed from being in charge of the referees. He should have been fired.

The 3P line has become a much bigger factor in the game, for sure. But teams always have the option of running a guy off the 3P line. The problem with doing that to Curry is that he will blow past you and get an easier shot, or make a perfect pass to get someone else a wide-open shot. He's a very good ball handler, he can create a shot for himself just about any time he wants it (because he only needs a crack of daylight), and right now he is shooting as well as anyone has ever shot the ball. The only way you could use the rules to stop that would be to make it legal for defenders to shit-hammer him, and only him. Probably not a good rule change.

Should move the 3-point line from 23.9 feet to 25 feet tbh

That would mean getting rid of the sideline 3's altogether. They could accomplish just about the same thing by getting rid of the short sideline 3P line, and extending the curved arc all the way to the sidelines.

I think they ought to make a 4 point shot from beyond mid-court.

daslicer
12-10-2015, 01:24 PM
You could always bring back handchecking to stop Curry. Imagine Kawhi being allowed to guard him with handchecking.

GSH
12-10-2015, 01:29 PM
You could always bring back handchecking to stop Curry. Imagine Kawhi being allowed to guard him with handchecking.

It would have to be for Curry only, because if you made it league-wide, the highlight reel plays would be cut in half.

HarlemHeat37
12-10-2015, 01:40 PM

A league with handchecking would be unwatchable without Michael Jordan, tbh..

They could change the rules for better competition, while maintaining the entertaining product the league has had for the past 4 years..

Horse
12-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Get the fuck out of hear they had one of the most fortunate playoff runs in history then struggled against LeBron and some bums he found in the parking garage.

HarlemHeat37
12-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Get the fuck out of hear they had one of the most fortunate playoff runs in history then struggled against LeBron and some bums he found in the parking garage.

They have won 106 games out of their last 126..that's just ridiculous, tbh, the best run I have ever seen from an NBA team..

FromWayDowntown
12-10-2015, 02:14 PM

I watch the officials pretty closely and I don't see anything to suggest that it's true.

The officials are evaluated pretty thoroughly these days and they are graded much more objectively than they once were, and those evaluations are tied much more directly to playoff assignments than in the past (when tenure and status had as much or more more to do with who worked late in the playoffs than actual game evaluations).

Unless you believe that the league has urged the officials' office to be less objective in its evaluations (to ignore obvious errors that benefit the East in East-West games), or that the officials are willing to sacrifice the prestige of playoff assignments to effectuate some broader league wide mandate to even things out -- and at the same time wholly discount the obvious improvement of the middle of the East -- I don't think there's much reason to think that officiating is driving parity.

I think there are a significant number of teams in the East (Miami, Indiana, Charlotte, Detroit, Orlando, to name a few) that have gotten better by virtue of improved personnel, either through good coaching hires or player personnel decisions or by virtue of players returning from injury. As the quality in the middle of the East has improved, the overall balance of the league has improved -- as would be expected.

Johnny RIngo
12-10-2015, 02:23 PM
Not yet but we might see some new rules if the Warriors continue this dominance for the next few years.

objective
12-10-2015, 02:27 PM
I'd rather see the rules change on defense to open up post play again. No more doubling guys without the ball. GS is dominant for their defense too where they can prevent post ups and still get back. NBA should choke off smallball by letting bigs be bigs again.

TheDoctor
12-10-2015, 02:57 PM
I watch the officials pretty closely and I don't see anything to suggest that it's true.

The officials are evaluated pretty thoroughly these days and they are graded much more objectively than they once were, and those evaluations are tied much more directly to playoff assignments than in the past (when tenure and status had as much or more more to do with who worked late in the playoffs than actual game evaluations).

Unless you believe that the league has urged the officials' office to be less objective in its evaluations (to ignore obvious errors that benefit the East in East-West games), or that the officials are willing to sacrifice the prestige of playoff assignments to effectuate some broader league wide mandate to even things out -- and at the same time wholly discount the obvious improvement of the middle of the East -- I don't think there's much reason to think that officiating is driving parity.

I think there are a significant number of teams in the East (Miami, Indiana, Charlotte, Detroit, Orlando, to name a few) that have gotten better by virtue of improved personnel, either through good coaching hires or player personnel decisions or by virtue of players returning from injury. As the quality in the middle of the East has improved, the overall balance of the league has improved -- as would be expected.

Of course, I mean, I didn't expect anyone to take that seriously tbh :lol

Old School 44
12-10-2015, 03:01 PM
No changes...more power to Curry and the Warriors if they continue to produce under the current rules. People act like Curry's Warriors have won 5+ titles or something.

I. Hustle
12-10-2015, 03:07 PM
No changes...more power to Curry and the Warriors if they continue to produce under the current rules. People act like Curry's Warriors have won 5+ titles or something.

1 ring. 1 damn ring and people are flipping the hell out. Dude is just on some next level shit. Why are Spurs fans shitting bricks? You really think we are going to win every year? We have a shot this year, no doubt. You guys are jumping ship and freaking out because of Curry's dominance. If they win, they win. Spurs over everything but I would rather Curry win over Kobe, Lebron, Melo, Harden or anyone else other than the Spurs.

steeledl
12-10-2015, 03:22 PM
The NBA has a precedent for changing rules to even the playing field when there's a completely dominant force in the league IIRC..

Wilt Chamberlain's dominance of the league forced them to widen the lane from 12 feet to 16 feet, because his presence was "unfair" for the competition IIRC..

The Warriors have maximized the value of 3-point shooting, to the point where they are virtually unstoppable and unbeatable, tbh..is it time for the NBA to widen the entire court and change the distance of the 3-point lines? This would open up more lanes for driving and attacking the rim, etc..

That at would be nice tbh. I want to beat them.

Chinook
12-10-2015, 03:24 PM
If they did that, Jimmer might get back in the league.

steeledl
12-10-2015, 03:28 PM
They have won 106 games out of their last 126..that's just ridiculous, tbh, the best run I have ever seen from an NBA team..

Holy fuck. Had not looked at that.... Absolutely disgusting.

DisAsTerBot
12-10-2015, 03:30 PM
where is apa9 to agree with everything harlem has said?

steeledl
12-10-2015, 03:32 PM
Cross post this to reddit NBA so I can lol at their responses please.

SuperCam
12-10-2015, 04:18 PM
this is almost as bad as the broncos are targeted by the refs take, tbh :lol

it's the same shot that's been available since they moved the line back twenty years ago, tbh. this wouldn't even be a thread if daniel green wasn't playing like a huge faggot his year. and never would have been posted when the spurs won 5 because they got hot from three for the playoffs :nope

spurstalk going to become more angsty when they realize supercurry and the lightskin nigga crew is going to keep tim in his last year from getting number 6..

HarlemHeat37
12-10-2015, 05:30 PM
this is almost as bad as the broncos are targeted by the refs take, tbh :lol

it's the same shot that's been available since they moved the line back twenty years ago, tbh. this wouldn't even be a thread if daniel green wasn't playing like a huge faggot his year. and never would have been posted when the spurs won 5 because they got hot from three for the playoffs :nope

spurstalk going to become more angsty when they realize supercurry and the lightskin nigga crew is going to keep tim in his last year from getting number 6..

Huh? The point of this thread is that the Warriors have changed the landscape of the NBA, and they have been way too good for the rest of the NBA for the past year and a half..they are so good that the league might have to change the rules to make it fair for the rest of the league, I'm not complaining about them having an unfair advantage(I don't know how you came to that conclusion:lol), I'm giving them credit for being the best team I've ever seen..

I just realized who your main account is, though, can't believe it took me this long:lol..

TD 21
12-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Maybe a few years down the road, if this continues, but right now they're still a mostly unaccomplished playoff team.

Nothing will even be considered until ratings and interest in general begins to wane and that's bound to happen if this continues long enough.

SuperCam
12-10-2015, 05:42 PM
An all time great team is good for the NBA. Look at the ratings from the bulls in the 90s. one player who is an anomaly surrounded by a stacked supporting cast that was kind of lucked in to. those ankles aren't gonna last for six titles though

GSH
12-10-2015, 05:46 PM
Huh? The point of this thread is that the Warriors have changed the landscape of the NBA, and they have been way too good for the rest of the NBA for the past year and a half..they are so good that the league might have to change the rules to make it fair for the rest of the league, I'm not complaining about them having an unfair advantage(I don't know how you came to that conclusion:lol), I'm giving them credit for being the best team I've ever seen..

I just realized who your main account is, though, can't believe it took me this long:lol..

A lot of people here bitching about the Spurs' play and record, solely because the Warriors are undefeated. I thought that might have been part of what you were doing. Mis-read you, I guess.

Do you really think widening the court wouldn't destroy the game as we know it? I'm seriously asking your opinion. I think the unintended consequences of anything like that would be a disaster. I can't think of anything they could really do that wouldn't slow the game to a crawl, and run off lots of fans.

I think that a lot of people like seeing the Warriors pile up points. And most of the people who are worried are fans of the few team who might actually contend, otherwise. Which short of brings things full circle.

Floyd Pacquiao
12-10-2015, 05:51 PM
If they go off on the spurs, thunder and the cavs then I'll consider it.

HarlemHeat37
12-10-2015, 05:52 PM
A lot of people here bitching about the Spurs' play and record, solely because the Warriors are undefeated. I thought that might have been part of what you were doing. Mis-read you, I guess.

Do you really think widening the court wouldn't destroy the game as we know it? I'm seriously asking your opinion. I think the unintended consequences of anything like that would be a disaster. I can't think of anything they could really do that wouldn't slow the game to a crawl, and run off lots of fans.

I think that a lot of people like seeing the Warriors pile up points. And most of the people who are worried are fans of the few team who might actually contend, otherwise. Which short of brings things full circle.

It depends on the target demographic, tbh..

As a younger man, I love watching the Warriors, although I dislike them as a team..I love 3-pointers, and I hate playing basketball without 2s on the street, but I do recognize that it's not a pure version of the game, as Pop said..

Most die-hard basketball fans over the age of 35 probably hate the Warriors style of play, at least from what I've heard from most old media and older fans..coaches hate it, former players hate it, etc, even if they find it somewhat entertaining..

The Warriors have maximized everything you can do with today's rules and court dimensions IMO..they are probably the best team we'll ever see..virtually the entire league is attempting to replicate them, but there has never been a player in league history like Steph Curry, and I can't remember a player like Draymond Green, either..

All Mighty Janitor
12-10-2015, 05:59 PM
If they moved the 3pt line back, it would hurt 3pt shooting as a whole, but the elite shooters would be even better. It would hurt the Warriors even less than other teams because they have 2 elite 3pt shooters; and specifically Curry would be even more unstoppable. I know they rely on the 3 more than other teams, but this rule change might help the Warriors more than it hurt them (in relation to other teams).

TD 21
12-10-2015, 06:05 PM
The Warriors have maximized everything you can do with today's rules and court dimensions IMO..they are probably the best team we'll ever see..virtually the entire league is attempting to replicate them, but there has never been a player in league history like Steph Curry, and I can't remember a player like Draymond Green, either..

Maybe regular season team. But I don't get how a supposed Spurs fan, who watched this team put on an all-time playoff and especially Finals performance a whole one and a half years ago, can say a team with one gift wrapped championship to it's credit, is "probably the best team we'll ever see"? If they cap it with a historical playoff run, then fine, but right now, it's premature and disrespectful to historically great teams.

HarlemHeat37
12-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Maybe regular season team. But I don't get how a supposed Spurs fan, who watched this team put on an all-time playoff and especially Finals performance a whole one and a half years ago, can say a team with one gift wrapped championship to it's credit, is "probably the best team we'll ever see"? If they cap it with a historical playoff run, then fine, but right now, it's premature and disrespectful to historically great teams.

The 2014 Spurs had the one of the best stretches of basketball I've ever seen, but they only did it for 17 games..the Warriors have been essentially doing that for 126 games, albeit mostly regular season, but it's not as if they weren't completely dominant in last year's playoffs, as well..

UNT Eagles 2016
12-10-2015, 06:12 PM
nah, that's communist. fuck communism

SAGirl
12-10-2015, 06:16 PM
3 pt shots should not be worth 3. It makes for too many fouls called on 3 pt shots and potential 4 points play.

And for that matter, why should a foul on someone behind a line be worth more than any other foul on anyone else attempting the shot.

I would just nerf the 3 pt shot to equalize it with all other shots.

TD 21
12-10-2015, 06:24 PM
The 2014 Spurs had the one of the best stretches of basketball I've ever seen, but they only did it for 17 games..the Warriors have been essentially doing that for 126 games, albeit mostly regular season, but it's not as if they weren't completely dominant in last year's playoffs, as well..

Fair enough, but they also had a lot of injuries, managed minutes to an unprecedented degree and clearly weren't consumed with making history or affirming their status. Also, that stretch came mostly against two historically great players, at the peak of their powers, in the Conference Finals and Finals.

:lol Last year's playoffs, where the Warriors became probably the first team in history to avoid playing a single other top five team (not counting the Cavs' skeleton crew) and faced nothing but injured (Holiday, Evans, Conley, Allen, Beverley, Motiejunas, Irving, Varejao), mediocre opponents, en route to a championship. Yeah, that was real impressive.

xtremesteven33
12-10-2015, 06:27 PM
Records are meant to be broken. Warriors are having a historic run that any basketball fan should be enjoying. Every game is bigger and the team that knocks them off will be praised and the game will be broken down and overanaylzed to the point that people will say they have the blueprint to beat them.

Warriors will not end the season undefeated. Bogut has been surprisingly healthy and so has the entire team. Again, I hope they remain healthy all year. The only rule I would like to see changed is the playoff seeding. A Spurs/Warriors NBA Finals would be one for the ages.

Beaverfuzz
12-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Put a hand in the guy's face, get up on him more, make him drive to the basket. It goes on and on and on. MAN UP AND PLAY DEFENSE!

GSH
12-10-2015, 06:30 PM
It depends on the target demographic, tbh..

As a younger man, I love watching the Warriors, although I dislike them as a team..I love 3-pointers, and I hate playing basketball without 2s on the street, but I do recognize that it's not a pure version of the game, as Pop said..

Most die-hard basketball fans over the age of 35 probably hate the Warriors style of play, at least from what I've heard from most old media and older fans..coaches hate it, former players hate it, etc, even if they find it somewhat entertaining..

Well that's damned well said.

I think they could help the balance of the game if they would clean up two things. First, all the contact off the ball in the paint. They let the bigs wrestle like an MMA match, position means nothing, and it has made the dominant big almost a thing of the past. Second, they also need to tighten up the travelling (and double-dribble) calls. A lot of the drive-and-kick that is getting these wide open 3's wouldn't be possible if they weren't allowed to carry the ball. Some of those cuts just aren't possible without it.

Years ago, when Tim was the dominant player in the league, teams started talking about "denying him the ball". Which, translated, meant beating the shit out of him off the ball, because they found out the refs just wouldn't call it. Now it's just a constant wrestling match in the paint. Not just for time, but for everyone. If you want to look at something that has distorted basketball, that's a good place to start.

Hoops Czar
12-10-2015, 06:33 PM
Huh? 1.)The point of this thread is that the Warriors have changed the landscape of the NBA, and they have been way too good for the rest of the NBA for the past year and a half..they are so good that the league might have to change the rules to make it fair for the rest of the league,2.) I'm not complaining about them having an unfair advantage(I don't know how you came to that conclusion:lol), I'm giving them credit for being the best team I've ever seen..

Sounds like a complaint to me. The Spurs set up the blueprint from 2012-14 and the Warriors mastered it to a tee. I don't recall you saying the league should make changes in 2014 when you said that you've never seen a team [Spurs] this good in all my years of watching NBA ball. That took all of one year to be topped :lol. Also, based on any advanced metric, you said this was the deepest title team in NBA history, doing something that has never been done before, win by utilizing depth, rather than star power. Granted, Curry is a star but, they still have an unbelievably productive supporting cast. Let's go through the checklist together....

3 great passing bigs/ Soft Check
GOAT coach/ Check
Parker and Ginobili to run pick&roll/ Curry, Iggy/ Check
2 great wing defenders that can shoot 3s/ Check
3 capable wing, ISO scorers/ Check
A ton of shooters/ Check
A great all-around defensive big and a great rim protecting big/ Check
Capable of playing both defensive grind basketball or run&gun offensive ball/ Check

You can't ask for the league to make changes because the Warriors are playing Spurs basketball better than the Spurs :lol. Besides, it's not up to the Warriors to adjust to the league, it's up to the league to adjust to the Warriors. The league is also suffering from mediocrity at the moment. Spurs aren't quite as good as their record would indicate; OKC's been very inconsistent; Clippers and Rockets have struggled; Memphis and Dallas are average; East is suprisingly better than the West, though not by much. It's easy to look this good when you're the only elite team in the league:lol.

Ice009
12-10-2015, 06:38 PM

What did Pop say exactly? And why was he talking about the Warriors yesterday?

HarlemHeat37
12-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Sounds like a complaint to me. The Spurs set up the blueprint from 2012-14 and the Warriors mastered it to a tee. I don't recall you saying the league should make changes in 2014 when you said that you've never seen a team [Spurs] this good in all my years of watching NBA ball. That took all of one year to be topped :lol. Also, based on any advanced metric, you said this was the deepest title team in NBA history, doing something that has never been done before, win by utilizing depth, rather than star power. Granted, Curry is a star but, they still have an unbelievably productive supporting cast. Let's go through the checklist together....

3 great passing bigs/ Soft Check
GOAT coach/ Check
Parker and Ginobili to run pick&roll/ Curry, Iggy/ Check
2 great wing defenders that can shoot 3s/ Check
3 capable wing, ISO scorers/ Check
A ton of shooters/ Check
A great all-around defensive big and a great rim protecting big/ Check
Capable of playing both defensive grind basketball or run&gun offensive ball/ Check

You can't ask for the league to make changes because the Warriors are playing Spurs basketball better than the Spurs :lol. Besides, it's not up to the Warriors to adjust to the league, it's up to the league to adjust to the Warriors. The league is also suffering from mediocrity at the moment. Spurs aren't quite as good as their record would indicate; OKC's been very inconsistent; Clippers and Rockets have struggled; Memphis and Dallas are average; East is suprisingly better than the West, though not by much. It's easy to look this good when you're the only elite team in the league:lol.

I didn't make a statement or give a final opinion, I asked a question that was on ESPN radio yesterday, it's not just me thinking about it:lol

And yes, the Spurs were the deepest team to win a title in league history, and still the most unconventional, since they had a historically dominant offensive run without a star..the Warriors are deep, too, but it's a pretty silly comparison when they have one of the 2 best PGs of all-time and the best guard since Jordan playing in his prime:lol..Klay Thompson was mostly a non-factor in the playoffs outside of a few games, yet they still completely dominated, I can only imagine what they do if he actually shows up for this year's run, for example, it will be ugly for the rest of the L..

HarlemHeat37
12-10-2015, 06:49 PM
What did Pop say exactly? And why was he talking about the Warriors yesterday?

He said something he has said in the past, which is that he hates the 3-point shot and that it cheapens basketball..

SuperCam
12-10-2015, 06:52 PM
Haven't heard a good explanation yet for why the 3 point shot isn't real basketball by these old timers. FFS dribbling was an added rule at one point too :lol

HarlemHeat37
12-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Haven't heard a good explanation yet for why the 3 point shot isn't real basketball by these old timers. FFS dribbling was an added rule at one point too :lol

Today's basketball is levels more entertaining than the hideous 90s ball, and the White American 80s ball:lol..

Hoops Czar
12-10-2015, 07:16 PM
I didn't make a statement or give a final opinion, I asked a question that was on ESPN radio yesterday, it's not just me thinking about it:lol

And yes, the Spurs were the deepest team to win a title in league history, and still the most unconventional, since they had a historically dominant offensive run without a star..the Warriors are deep, too, but it's a pretty silly comparison when they have one of the 2 best PGs of all-time and the best guard since Jordan playing in his prime:lol..Klay Thompson was mostly a non-factor in the playoffs outside of a few games, yet they still completely dominated, I can only imagine what they do if he actually shows up for this year's run, for example, it will be ugly for the rest of the L..

Did you mean popular stars? Both Leonard and Duncan, though not Curry historical greatness level :lol, are still stars and the Spurs would have been hard pressed to win a championship without their production. . Simple question for you Harlem... Would the 2013-14 Spurs be able to beat the 2015-16 Warriors?

Mikeanaro
12-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Hand checking.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-11-2015, 03:06 AM
I don't think the league should jump in with rule changes, although I like some of the proposed ones about helping out the post play a bit more, it's kinda dumb that you can push and hold a big but you can't even touch a shooter/penetrator.

The Warriors will eventually be figured out by the other teams. In this highly analytical era where everyone pays attention to the smallest of details playing a certain way will not last for as long, as it has been possible in the past. It's all about being able to change and evolve because of this. Look at Milwaukee and Utah from last season, for example - it took only half a season before other teams figured them out. The Spurs knew exactly what to do against the Heat in 2014, who were also dominant and Spurs didn't even have an elite player at the time. There's too much data and too many people looking at it, drawing conclusions and trying things now. Someone will come up with a formula to stop the Warriors and then they'd have to make changes. If they can sustain this and continue winning, then more power to them.

Godbama
12-11-2015, 03:22 AM
No.

NameLess Scrub
12-11-2015, 10:17 AM
The 3pt shooting, high scoring, wing player oriented NBA seems to be good for business. so it won't change soon.

Also, Curry won't last forever. He will slow down/get old soon enough.
He's 27.. could he keep this level of shooting for more than 5 years?

With that said, I like the idea of letting bigs be bigs. Or at least, doing a better job with the star calls, flopping, and uncalled pushing/moving screens/grabbing plays.

Also the traveling calls seem to change from game to game.

GSH
12-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Sean was just saying, "That right there is the reason Pop hates the 3 point shot. This used to be a big man's game. Now, so many bigs are dropping out to the 3 point line and shooting those shots, rather than using their size." (Not word for word - best I could remember.)

That's exactly what I was talking about. If they would start calling more of the ridiculous contact in the paint, and allow big men to play like big men, it would restore some balance. Minor operation, instead of major surgery. The problem is, these guys can put up TS% that are higher than Shaq used to get shooting chip-shots. It's all about points per attempt. The Warriors are just the best at it, but it's a reflection of the way they've allowed the game to be played. There was a time when a big would re-post closer to the basket. That's almost impossible now. Now, when a big gives up the ball, he immediately gets shoved from behind and pushed a couple of steps farther from the basket. If a guy has a legal position on the floor, another player is not supposed to be able to push him off of it.

So if you make the 3 less appealing, what else is there? There just aren't many players with a good mid-range game, so that's out. If teams start trying to force the ball inside all the time, the defenses will rule and the game will become un-watchable. The game needs more post play, and to get that they have to allow guys to operate in the post without getting mugged.

Kidd K
12-12-2015, 10:39 PM
The league is fine the way it is. If the Warriors are shitting on everyone, give them credit, not ask for rule changes. :\ It's not like they're bulldozing people over in the post and giving them FTAs instead of calling them for a foul (Shaq), or charging or traveling on every other drive uncalled (LeBron up til a couple years ago), or getting FTAs every time an opposing player merely dares to contest their shot (Durant/Westbrook when Stern was still the commish).

They're just shooting and passing well and playing proper basketball. It has nothing to do with the rules or the way it's being called. Props to Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry, and the Warriors for playing well imo.

GSH
12-12-2015, 10:47 PM
They're just shooting and passing well and playing proper basketball. It has nothing to do with the rules or the way it's being called. Props to Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry, and the Warriors for playing well imo.

Except that the whole league is using the 3 MUCH more, and the question is whether the long ball has taken over too much. (Even Sean was talking about it tonight.) I don't think anyone has failed to give the Warriors credit - just the opposite. So I don't really get your point.

Personally, I think the league would benefit from a little more post play, or it will start looking more and more like a run-and-gun All Star game. I'd think the same thing if it was the Spurs shooting 3's like Golden State, and undefeated because of it. I'm a Spurs fan, but I'm also a fan of the game.

cjw
12-12-2015, 10:59 PM
The league should start with calling illegal screens (Draymond) like the NFL has started calling offensive PI. Those moving screens guarantee shots for guys with such a quick release like Curry.

BillMc
12-12-2015, 11:10 PM
if they change, Curry automatically becomes one of the five greatest players of all time

They changed a ton of rules because of Mikan. Do you think he was a Top 5 player of all time? Or just the first to show a flaw in the game?

r0drig0lac
12-12-2015, 11:20 PM
The league should start with calling illegal screens (Draymond) like the NFL has started calling offensive PI. Those moving screens guarantee shots for guys with such a quick release like Curry.

that is all

r0drig0lac
12-12-2015, 11:25 PM
They changed a ton of rules because of Mikan. Do you think he was a Top 5 player of all time? Or just the first to show a flaw in the game?

I do not think the game before the clock for ranking purposes, but a change now would be the league saying that no one can beat them, it shows greatness, though I think the hand checking should never have been banned

Kidd K
12-13-2015, 07:33 AM
Except that the whole league is using the 3 MUCH more, and the question is whether the long ball has taken over too much. (Even Sean was talking about it tonight.) I don't think anyone has failed to give the Warriors credit - just the opposite. So I don't really get your point.

Personally, I think the league would benefit from a little more post play, or it will start looking more and more like a run-and-gun All Star game. I'd think the same thing if it was the Spurs shooting 3's like Golden State, and undefeated because of it. I'm a Spurs fan, but I'm also a fan of the game.

You seem to not understand my point.

I did not say the Warriors weren't getting credit around the league. Merely for people here to just give them props and leave it at that. No reason to ask for rule changes because they're passing and shooting too well.

GSH
12-13-2015, 09:53 AM
You seem to not understand my point.

I did not say the Warriors weren't getting credit around the league. Merely for people here to just give them props and leave it at that. No reason to ask for rule changes because they're passing and shooting too well.

Everyone this side of third grade got your point. The first time.

Give them props and leave it at that? So you're worried that the people on ST might actually change the rules of the NBA because Golden State is too good?