PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte 2016 Second-Rounder Watch

Chinook
12-10-2015, 03:41 PM
So just like the Clippers pick in 2014, the Hornets have gone from bottom-feeder to potential top-five team (record-wise) in the span of a couple years. The Spurs own the Charlotte second (from the Theo Ratliff trade like forever ago) so long as the pick falls within the last five of the draft. The Hornets are holding serve at four right now.

What kind of miracle would it be for the team to actually pick up BOTH of those "throwaway" picks from those long-forgotten deals? Is the true way for a team to go from breadline to the pent house simply to trade a heavily protected second to the Spurs? Well, we'll see.

And yes, I say this assuming the Hornets will get passed up by at least two other teams. But hell, that Clippers pick thread was actually really exciting going down the stretch of the 2013-2014 season, even though the Spurs evidently didn't want the pick.

Seventyniner
12-10-2015, 10:48 PM
I differ with you in my definition of excitement, lol.

But yeah, there's no way the Hornets finish with a top 5 record. They would have to finish ahead of at least one of the Warriors, Spurs, Cavs, Thunder, Clippers. I expect the latter three teams to get better as the season progresses.

GSH
12-10-2015, 10:52 PM
LMAO - Top 25 Protected second-rounder. There's something you don't hear every day.

Chinook
12-11-2015, 05:05 AM
LMAO - Top 25 Protected second-rounder. There's something you don't hear every day.

It's one of the most commonly traded items, actually. The Spurs own the Hawks' top 55 protected 2017 second-rounder as well.

Uriel
12-12-2015, 12:21 AM
Didn't we give up our 2nd round pick this year in that Ray McCallum trade? Getting Charlotte's 2nd rounder to compensate for it would be nice.

GSH
12-12-2015, 12:28 AM
It's one of the most commonly traded items, actually. The Spurs own the Hawks' top 55 protected 2017 second-rounder as well.

LOL... yeah, but nobody talks about them. :)

I guess every now and then someone finds an Isaiah Thomas. I saw an article about how seldom a pick that late does anything in the NBA, and it's pretty thin. Now with the D-League, you actually get a chance to see those same guys perform first.