PDA

View Full Version : Vote - Preference on Players playing during the Summer

50 cent
09-20-2005, 12:13 PM
Do you care more about the Spurs or the national teams well being?

spurs_fan_in_exile
09-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Well of course I would rather see the Spurs do well, but the foreign players have every right to play for their national teams in the offseason. Your boss doesn't tell you what you can't do on your vacation, right?

samikeyp
09-20-2005, 12:18 PM
I love for our national teams to do well, so I guess I am selfish but I picked the Spurs. Although it is still, IMO, a great honor to represent your country.

picnroll
09-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Wish you'd asked if you even want Spurs players playing on national teams. Since the beginning pre-Olympics I've been against it, including Duncan. Glad to see Duncan has said FU to national team play.

biggerspursfanthanu
09-20-2005, 12:20 PM
You know where i stand, spurs all the way. But at the risk of getting another verbal beating thats all i have to say.

nkdlunch
09-20-2005, 12:26 PM
If a country had chances of winning w/the help of an NBA star. And the star is willing to help, I'm all for them representing their country.

I beleive Manu values his gold medal more than his NBA championships. He won't admit it of course.

Slo spurs fan
09-20-2005, 12:39 PM
You know where i stand, spurs all the way. But at the risk of getting another verbal beating thats all i have to say.
:lol You are learning.

j/k

Slo spurs fan
09-20-2005, 12:40 PM
If a country had chances of winning w/the help of an NBA star. And the star is willing to help, I'm all for them representing their country.

I beleive Manu values his gold medal more than his NBA championships. He won't admit it of course.
Agreed

TDMVPDPOY
09-20-2005, 12:48 PM
If the player gets injured on international duty, i reckon the national team should pay for fees when players missed the regular season games, why should the owner pay for a player that gets injured on international duty just to sit on the bench or missed games. Its business.

Slomo
09-20-2005, 12:48 PM
It's not one or the other. The problem is that one should not exclude the other. I don't believe that the EC is so draining that it will destroy the players' NBA season. Even the Olympics that are much more taxing both in term of energy and time did not manage to do that.

As long as the national teams have the right to call upon their pro players it should be considered an honor (regardless of the country).

But if the EC would be happening during the NBA season (as it was the case in hockey for some time) then I would want the Spurs players to play for the Spurs and not their national teams. Quite honestly I don't think any player would even consider it seriously.

Slomo
09-20-2005, 12:54 PM
If the player gets injured on international duty, i reckon the national team should pay for fees when players missed the regular season games, why should the owner pay for a player that gets injured on international duty just to sit on the bench or missed games. Its business. The NBA is all about business that's why NBA players can only play for their national teams if they have a very expensive special insurance that covers exactly that problem. I remember cases where players did not play for their countries because their national federation could not come up with the money for the insurance.

And just for clarification I believe this is just and should remain the rule.

TDMVPDPOY
09-20-2005, 12:58 PM
^Same with soccer/euro football club for country policy

Slomo
09-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Exactly!

50 cent
09-20-2005, 01:03 PM
The NBA is all about business that's why NBA players can only play for their national teams if they have a very expensive special insurance that covers exactly that problem. I remember cases where players did not play for their countries because their national federation could not come up with the money for the insurance.

And just for clarification I believe this is just and should remain the rule.
Sure, that protects the financial aspect, but if Tim or Manu or Tony go down with a terrible injury, then you lose their talent which is much more valuable than just the contract insurance.

What's sad is that 1/3 of the people so far that have voted care more about the national teams than the Spurs and this is a Spurs message board.

RISE UP SPURS FANS!

picnroll
09-20-2005, 01:06 PM
insurance.

What's sad is that 1/3 of the people so far that have voted care more about the national teams than the Spurs and this is a Spurs message board.

RISE UP SPURS FANS!
If their player left the Spurs 90% of these guys would disappear the next day. They are Spurs fans of convenience as long as they have a countryman playing on the team.

Slo spurs fan
09-20-2005, 01:14 PM
If their player left the Spurs 90% of these guys would disappear the next day. They are Spurs fans of convenience as long as they have a countryman playing on the team.

I wonder for who will you cheer if ALL international Spurs players left Spurs.

nkdlunch
09-20-2005, 01:23 PM

So, when there was mass quitting of Spurs fans when we lost 2 to Detroit last finals, the quitters must all have been international fans right????

WRONG!!

The truth is that at that point the international Spurs fans were the most loyal.

picnroll
09-20-2005, 01:31 PM
I wonder for who will you cheer if ALL international Spurs players left Spurs.
The Spurs

picnroll
09-20-2005, 01:33 PM
So, when there was mass quitting of Spurs fans when we lost 2 to Detroit last finals, the quitters must all have been international fans right????

WRONG!!

The truth is that at that point the international Spurs fans were the most loyal.
Funny I still saw all the flags on cars, all the signs on businesses, all the people rooting for the Spurs. Some were worried but still rooting but nobody disappeared.

biggerspursfanthanu
09-20-2005, 01:34 PM
The Spurs

Agreed

Slo spurs fan
09-20-2005, 01:35 PM
The Spurs

That lottery team?

j/k

I respect your team.

biggerspursfanthanu
09-20-2005, 01:37 PM
I dont root for the spurs because of a couple of players, but because in a way like ur national team the spurs franchise rep my city and i have grown up only rooting for them. You would root for your international team regardless of who played for them but would u root for the spurs the same way. I would.

biggerspursfanthanu
09-20-2005, 01:39 PM
That lottery team?

j/k

I respect your team.

and despite lapses in my judgement i respect your country and any other international players country but that is not my concern, my city and my franchise is.

Slo spurs fan
09-20-2005, 01:42 PM
and despite lapses in my judgement i respect your country and any other international players country but that is not my concern, my city and my franchise is.

Yours franchise? Are you Peter Holt under cover? :lol

nkdlunch
09-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Funny I still saw all the flags on cars, all the signs on businesses, all the people rooting for the Spurs. Some were worried but still rooting but nobody disappeared.

u mean u never noticed the quitters on this forum???? for example, tpark, walton, etc,etc???

Slo spurs fan
09-20-2005, 01:45 PM
u mean u never noticed the quitters on this forum???? for example, tpark, walton, etc,etc???

Sequ?

biggerspursfanthanu
09-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Maybe. Na this is just my team, metaphorically speaking of course. I understand where the international guys are coming from but say you couldnt have it both ways.
You want the spurs or u want ur national play. Im sure youll say national play, so at the end of the day we are different fans of different sports.

Slo spurs fan
09-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Maybe. Na this is just my team, metaphorically speaking of course. I understand where the international guys are coming from but say you couldnt have it both ways.
You want the spurs or u want ur national play. Im sure youll say national play, so at the end of the day we are different fans of different sports.

I wanna BOTH!!!

picnroll
09-20-2005, 01:53 PM
I wanna BOTH!!!
One diminshes the possiblities of the other.

Slo spurs fan
09-20-2005, 01:59 PM
One diminshes the possiblities of the other.
I don't think so!
Signed: Manu

biggerspursfanthanu
09-20-2005, 02:04 PM
I think so.
Signed: Tim Duncans Ankles.

nkdlunch
09-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Duncan didn't hurt his ankles at Olympics. :rolleyes He barely played due to foul trouble.
get your shit straight.

picnroll
09-20-2005, 02:10 PM
I think so!
Signed: Beno's knee. Parker's mind and body. The minutes Manu was able to play, finishing on a wing and a prayer.

Slo spurs fan
09-20-2005, 02:13 PM
I think so!
Signed: Beno's knee. Parker's mind and body. The minutes Manu was able to play, finishing on a wing and a prayer.

He will play the same minutes this year.

biggerspursfanthanu
09-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Duncan didn't hurt his ankles at Olympics. :rolleyes He barely played due to foul trouble.
get your shit straight.

are you retarded the long season plus the olympics plus a super long season with no real rest most definately wore down his ankles. If he would have rested during the summer he wouldnt have been as likely to tweak his ankles.
Pay attention u foolish shit.

nkdlunch
09-20-2005, 02:15 PM
So maybe he should have rested the regular season too?? moron...

biggerspursfanthanu
09-20-2005, 02:20 PM
Im sorry i find it exhausting arguing with an idiot of your calibur. How do survive day by day life with such an obvious mental handicap. Maybe you should lay off the herbs there cheech.

nkdlunch
09-20-2005, 02:22 PM
Im sorry i find it exhausting arguing with an idiot of your calibur.

Yeah, it must be so exhausting for you to think and type at the same time. :lol

a spell check won't hurt either

picnroll
09-20-2005, 02:22 PM
He will play the same minutes this year.
Obviously Manu thought all the basketball play was wearing on him. Even before the Olympics he commented that he would be imiting his national team play in the future.

To argue that playing through the summer, particularly with a coach running two a days, not concerned about your physical well being so much as the teams success, thinking that not resting, building up strength in the off season is more beneficial to your play is a silly (I'm being generous with my word here) argument.

Slo spurs fan
09-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Obviously Manu thought all the basketball play was wearing on him. Even before the Olympics he commented that he would be imiting his national team play in the future.

And that was becouse his team is already qualified for olimpics.

picnroll
09-20-2005, 02:28 PM
And that was becouse his team is already qualified for olimpics.
No. He said it last year before the Athens Olympics, before they won the gold.

cheguevara
09-20-2005, 02:28 PM
The fact that Manu was able to win the Olympic Medal and the NBA championship contributing greatly to both teams should shut most critics up. The rest are not critics, they're whinners and can keep on whining, noone cares.

biggerspursfanthanu
09-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Trust me my man im no genius and im not gonna ever pretend to be one, but im not mentally handicapped either. U know im not the kind of person that knows he has no argument left so u check my spelling. here let me help you with that. yr as fuckuzun asz holes. spell check that poindexter.

cheguevara
09-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Trust me my man im no genius and im not gonna ever pretend to be one, but im not mentally handicapped either. U know im not the kind of person that knows he has no argument left so u check my spelling. here let me help you with that. yr as fuckuzun asz holes. spell check that poindexter.

guess someone is skipping middle school today.

biggerspursfanthanu
09-20-2005, 02:31 PM
The fact that Manu was able to win the Olympic Medal and the NBA championship contributing greatly to both teams should shut most critics up. The rest are not critics, they're whinners and can keep on whining, noone cares.

Look when it goes right its great but what do u think would have happened if it didnt turn out the way it did. there would be alot of upset people in these forums right now.

biggerspursfanthanu
09-20-2005, 02:32 PM
Ouch che that hurts. I thought we worked through this.

cheguevara
09-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Ouch che that hurts. I thought we worked through this.

but then you post brilliant posts like this...

biggerspursfanthanu
09-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Did you even read his responses. I give back what i get.

nkdlunch
09-20-2005, 03:38 PM

:tu :tu

TOP-CHERRY
09-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Tee-hee... We're so selfish. :D

darrenbatty
09-20-2005, 05:11 PM
Sure, that protects the financial aspect, but if Tim or Manu or Tony go down with a terrible injury, then you lose their talent which is much more valuable than just the contract insurance.

RISE UP SPURS FANS!

Do you feel the same way about pre-season games and the all-star game as well.... why risk an injury if the game is meaningless towards the final goal - a championship...

50 cent
09-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Do you feel the same way about pre-season games and the all-star game as well.... why risk an injury if the game is meaningless towards the final goal - a championship...

Absolutely feel that way about the All-Star game.

The pre-season is a necessary evil to develop plays and team cohesion and is a step towards the final goal of winning a Championship.

Marcus Bryant
09-20-2005, 05:50 PM
Who cares? Obviously management knows what it is doing. Who are we to question it?

What a lame thread.

ALVAREZ6
09-20-2005, 07:02 PM
I love the Spurs and want them to win badly, but I also want Argentina to win the gold and the world championships whenever they have the chance. I was extremely happy when Argentina won the gold.

Just look at it from my point of view. I was born in Argentina, I live in the US, and all of my friends are obviously American, and most like basketball. Now, Argentina isn't exactly known for being a powerhouse in the basketball world, or at least wasn't until now that a bunch of players are being recruited/considered for NBA teams. And when they beat the US, and won the gold, it was awesome.

For the Spurs, I was extremely happy when we won it in june, and the fact that it was a game 7 contributed to that. It was a matter of what I expected/predicted. From the beginning of the season, I thought that the Spurs were going to win the championship, no doubt in my mind.

ALVAREZ6
09-20-2005, 07:04 PM
I think so!
That's just his style of play. 100% bust your ass for every second the clock ticks.

How did Manu play when it counted in the finals?

50 cent
09-20-2005, 09:19 PM
Who cares? Obviously management knows what it is doing. Who are we to question it?

What a lame thread.
Yeah, this thread sucks. You should start your 1,000th thread on Devin not being matched. :rolleyes

Marcus Bryant
09-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Funny. You were in every Devin thread I didn't start with Holt's nuts on your chin.

NZHayden
09-20-2005, 09:34 PM
representing your nation is far more important than playing for your club, most of you posters would jump at the opportunity to play for your nation if you were asked

TOP-CHERRY
09-20-2005, 09:37 PM
representing your nation is far more important than playing for your club, most of you posters would jump at the opportunity to play for your nation if you were asked
...you'd be surprised.

angel_luv
09-20-2005, 09:52 PM
So long as the guys are physically able and desire to play both for their Spurs and their countries, I am all for it.

angel_luv
09-20-2005, 09:55 PM
I am all for national pride. It is one of the things I love about our guys.

But I must say...
You owe it to any employer to give your all to your job.

If, because of time restraints, risk of injury etc, a player gets to the point where he cannot play for two clubs, I think he has an obligation to both teams to chose just one of them.

50 cent
09-20-2005, 10:58 PM
Funny. You were in every Devin thread I didn't start with Holt's nuts on your chin.
You mean while you had Devin's nuts on your chin? At least I can confidently say, you had the bigger nuts massaging your chin.

:lmao

coopdogg3
09-21-2005, 12:02 AM
Hmmm, I have to admit, I am a little surprised at how close this vote is. I thought it would heavily favor the Spurs. I guess people are different :) .

coopdogg3

TMTTRIO
09-21-2005, 12:29 AM
Even before the Olympics he commented that he would be imiting his national team play in the future.
I don't think he quite said that. He did say that he was going to rest this summer and probably try to play at the WC. Anyways I think it's cool that they love to represent their country and to be successful. Pop is also great at controlling their minutes if they do play and making sure they are ready for the playoffs. Besides injuries can happen anytime during the season and the way that Manu plays, no matter if he plays during the summer or not, he's going to take a lot of hits anyways.

Kobayagi
09-21-2005, 03:56 PM
NBA star Pau Gasol has decided he will play in future tournaments for Spain after watching his country from the sidelines at EuroBasket.

Gasol, who chose to rest rather than take part in Serbia & Montenegro, has been commentating on the tournament as a television pundit, and the experience of being so close to the action made him realise exactly what he was missing.

"I'm finding it harder than I thought, although I am coping, it is very hard," Gasol told La Vanguardia.

"I prefer to be playing rather than watching. I miss it clearly, I miss the atmosphere in the team and the camaraderie.

"My aim is to be at the next championships. My plan is to go to the World Championships next year, and then the next European Championships - which will be at home here in Spain, and then after that the Olympic Games in Beijing.

"After 2008 we will see what happens. I hope that nothing gets in the way of me playing for the national team."

:king

nkdlunch
09-21-2005, 04:40 PM
wow, closer than I expected! this poll is resembling Bush' approval ratings :lol