PDA

View Full Version : I'm not getting this "Flying under the radar" gimmick.

TheDoctor
12-11-2015, 12:29 PM
Yes, the Worriers are getting all the attention but at the same time, people are talking about the Spurs' great record. Furthermore, how they like to "fly under the radar" (FutR) in National papers. So, if the Spurs are FutR, but writers with a lot of followers are talking about how the Spurs like to FutR, that expression is canceling itself. The Spurs indeed are getting noticed. Not Golden Showers in-your-face level of exposure, but yeah, they're in the mix.

I think the Spurs are being underestimated more than they're Flying under the Radar tbh.

spursistan
12-11-2015, 12:31 PM
We have gotten off to great start on back of an easy schedule and elite D..This team O is way off from its ceiling especially on the road where we played a pretty average basketball, tbh....

DMC
12-11-2015, 12:36 PM
If the Spurs can still fly under the radar then the radar operator is a fucking retard.

K...
12-11-2015, 12:40 PM
Flying under the radar means we're not riding our best player to maximize short term wins.. It's a good thing if you think it won't bite us in the ass like last year.

SuperCam
12-11-2015, 12:40 PM
Can this team beat the Warriors on the road? Can they beat them 4 times out of 7? That's all that matters this season, tbh

Right now the answer is no

Russ
12-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Wait till Kobe Bryant makes the All-Star Team and Kawhi Leonard doesn't.

Now that's flying under the radar.

TheDoctor
12-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Flying under the radar means we're not riding our best player to maximize short term wins.. It's a good thing if you think it won't bite us in the ass like last year.

That's your own definition to the expression, and it's good. Actually its awesome. But it is not what the media and public in general is implying.

The public/fans in general are suggesting that the Spurs are playing under this invisibility cloak and nobody is noticing monster that is developing underneath.

ajh18
12-11-2015, 12:59 PM
That's your own definition to the expression, and it's good. Actually its awesome. But it is not what the media and public in general is implying.

The public/fans in general are suggesting that the Spurs are playing under this invisibility cloak and nobody is noticing monster that is developing underneath.

For what it's worth, my interpretation of "flying under the radar" is the media saying:

"most teams in other years/markets with this record/potential/talent would be getting more media coverage (stories written about them, interviews with players, etc.)"

And I don't think they count saying "the Spurs are flying under the radar" as an example of that kind of coverage.

Now, is this actually true for the Spurs this year? Who knows. You could probably actually analyze it by comparing stories and/or mentions for past teams with similar records and/or circumstances (adding a new star, emergence of a new star, etc.) and see how this Spurs team stacks up. But I think that's at least the assertion.

For Pop, I do think he likes it because that media coverage is both a distraction for him and his players, and can put a false sense of confidence in his team's mind.

GSH
12-11-2015, 01:03 PM
There is no fucking radar. The spurs need to keep the 2 seed until the end and prepare to match up with the dubs. That is all

Cry Havoc
12-11-2015, 01:42 PM
There is no fucking radar. The spurs need to keep the 2 seed until the end and prepare to match up with the dubs. That is all

Priorities:
1. Be/stay healthy.
2. Get the 2 seed or better (if Warriors get hurt).
3. Keep working on LMA integrating and getting our offense set.

That's it.

K...
12-11-2015, 01:59 PM
I actually think we've been covered appropriately. We've been winning, but without any special narrative. Leonard got tons of good press. Lma went into hiding so no one cares about him.

I bet all the sports writers have pre written the post spam/rodeo road trip article, I bet they've written there "Duncan shoe in for hof regardless of playoffs" "Leonard first time all star" what other stories are they supposed to highlight?

Mr Bones
12-11-2015, 02:08 PM
I don't understand labeling the situation as a "gimmick," as if the Spurs themselves are somehow controlling or masterminding it all. I'd say for the most part the management of the team and most of the players don't care, and even if they did it would be difficult to control. What sportscasters on Fox or TNT or in various newspapers and magazines say is pretty much ruled by what will catch the attention of viewers and advertisers... same reason a random slam dunk by someone on the losing team will make the highlight reel over a good pass or 16 foot shot by someone on the winning team.

SnakeBoy
12-11-2015, 02:46 PM
The media not calling the Spurs the hands down favorite = flying under the radar

which will equal :cry the Spurs get no respect :cry threads later in the season.

SPURt
12-11-2015, 03:03 PM
I agree with you Doc, it is more of an underestimation. It is assumed no one can beat this Warriors team, so the Spurs will be the underdog. Media covers the biggest stories and were the Spurs undefeated still the media attention would be endless. When you go out in the summer and sign the biggest free agent and Kawhi turns into a top 5 player in the league (last few games excluded) it's hard to go completely under the radar.

Also, the Warriors are at their peak or at least I don't think there is a next level for them to achieve. The Spurs have LMA and Green struggling to find themselves on offense, while the defense is saving games. I honestly am happy the Spurs aren't at peak levels now. It's hard to sustain that over 82 games a the playoffs. It's going to be fun to see all this play out as long as injury doesn't play a role for either team.

DeRozan m8
12-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Most people are to stupid and like shiney things...hence the Warriors obsession and the lack of Spurs understanding.

Mikeanaro
12-11-2015, 05:20 PM
Wait till Kobe Bryant makes the All-Star Team and Kawhi Leonard doesn't.

Now that's flying under the radar.
Fucking Agreed, people threw Tim under the bus for no reason while he was still producing, but Kobs will get a pass at expenses of Kawhi.

YGWHI
12-11-2015, 06:11 PM
Not sure if the media understimate the Spurs, they say "flying under the radar" is more about Spurs way.

"Spurs flying under the radar, just like they like it" by Sam Amick
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/spurs/2015/12/10/gregg-popovich-kawhi-leonard-tim-duncan-lamarcus-aldridge-tony-parker-spurs-bob-myers-warriors/77100494/

Russ
12-11-2015, 09:33 PM
Take a shot if you're playing the game --

Lakers pregame announcer just said "San Antonio is flying a little bit under the radar this year."

:flag:

Silver&Black
12-11-2015, 09:40 PM
10 seconds into the broadcast....already an "under the radar".

Dancelot
12-11-2015, 10:42 PM
:lol

DMC
12-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Can this team beat the Warriors on the road? Can they beat them 4 times out of 7? That's all that matters this season, tbh

Fuck no

GSH
12-11-2015, 11:19 PM

Fuck no

Not right now. But if there's a team that could get there by playoff time, the Spurs are it. But they have to get better than this to do it.

Too many good teams have learned that staying healthy is a main ingredient to the post-season, and you can't control it. There's a lot of season left.

TheDoctor
12-12-2015, 10:53 AM
Take a shot if you're playing the game --

Lakers pregame announcer just said "San Antonio is flying a little bit under the radar this year."

:flag:

See? Everyone knows, but they're FutR. Plus on National TV. :lol

Silver&Black
12-12-2015, 06:16 PM
See? Everyone knows, but they're FutR. Plus on National TV. :lol

Nothing is more "under the radar" than me watching the Spurs on 1/10 of my TV screen because ESPN would rather show the last 20 minutes of the GS/BOS game.

$pursDynasty
12-15-2015, 01:22 PM
Bump, I know believe that the Spurs are not flying under the radar, but now "The Spurs are flying under the radar" is just what everyone over at ESPN/TNT/NBA TV says when introducing the Spurs because I have noticed that since that magical mystery tour of the Dubs undefeated streak ended, I have been seeing a lot of Spurs articles/stories/tweets. Some are saying 'no they aren't in the Warrriors class' others are like 'wow I can't believe they are this good/they are the most credible treat to the Dubs.' It is just like the 'Old' Spurs or 'when is their window closing' San Antonio Spurs names before them. We went from one of the other teams not named GSW that got no coverage to, the flavor of the minute new option. In a way I don't mind but I would be more than happy when they move on their fav's the Thunderefs or Cavs before going back to the Dubs. Most Spurs fans don't care about the attention, in fact some enjoy the being ignored as a rallying cry, as long as we have a prominent role in the next Game of Zones, I will be happy.

$pursDynasty
12-15-2015, 05:01 PM
Latest under the radar comment, we are so under the radar people are cracking Draymond Green about us, lol. Saw this on ESPN site.
Draymond on the Spurs: "They're good, very good team. I'm not sure if we're supposed to cry, laugh, be sad or happy about it. It is what it is, they're a very good ball club. They have been for years, and nobody expected that to change. So, I don't have a reaction to it. I enjoy watching them play."

He does sound a little shook though (and a little pissed) :lol, you don't see many Spurs comments about the Dubs.

ceperez
12-15-2015, 05:40 PM
I don't think it is a gimmick. For the casual fan, you don't read or hear about some Spurs player scoring a ton of points. You rarely see the Spurs on the top 10 'play of the day'.

100%duncan
12-15-2015, 05:45 PM
Wgaf its all the same bullshit to me