PDA

View Full Version : New York Times poll: First time since '95 majority of Americans oppose AWB

TheSanityAnnex
12-11-2015, 05:54 PM
New York Times run front page article proposing assault weapons ban, poll results not what they hoped for.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/12/10/us/politics/times-cbs-news-poll.html?_r=0

page 23 :makemyday

A New York Times poll released on Thursday found that a majority of Americans oppose a ban on “assault weapons” in the wake of a New York Times front page editorial championing the idea.
The poll (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/12/10/us/politics/times-cbs-news-poll.html), conducted among 1,275 adults between Dec. 4 and 8, found 50 percent of Americans now oppose a nationwide ban on “assault weapons” while 44 percent favor such a ban. The results represent the first time since the question began being asked in 1995 that more people oppose a ban than support it. Such a ban would outlaw the AR-15, the most popular rifle in the country, as well as other stylistically similar semi-automatic rifles.
A ban on such rifles, and their confiscation, was advocated for in a Dec. 4 editorial by the New York Times editorial board. “Certain kinds of weapons, like the slightly modified combat rifles used in California, and certain kinds of ammunition, must be outlawed for civilian ownership,” the editorial said (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/opinion/end-the-gun-epidemic-in-america.html). “It is possible to define those guns in a clear and effective way and, yes, it would require Americans who own those kinds of weapons to give them up for the good of their fellow citizens.”
The editorial was the first to be published on the front page of the paper since 1920 (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/05/us/gun-debate-yields-page-1-editorial.html). The 1920 New York Times editorial (http://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1920/06/13/96355493.html?pageNumber=1) lamented the nomination for president of Warren G. Harding by the Republican Party and described it as “the gift of a splendid opportunity” for the Democratic Party. Harding went on to win the election (http://www.270towin.com/1920_Election/) capturing 37 of 48 states and 404 of 531 electoral votes.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/majority-oppose-assault-weapons-ban-after-historic-new-york-times-editorial-supporting-it/

ChumpDumper
12-11-2015, 06:14 PM
If 20 dead elementary schoolkids wouldn't do the trick, nothing will.

boutons_deux
12-11-2015, 06:51 PM
America is fucked and unfuckable

mingus
12-11-2015, 07:08 PM
It's not the AR-15 or other assault weapons that are bad it's the magazine capacity. I understand that feral hog invasions are worse than they've ever been and nothing beats an AR or similarly styled weapons for controlling that. But, I think magazine capacity maximum should be set at 10 rounds. I think that's a fair compromise.

SupremeGuy
12-11-2015, 07:11 PM
If 20 dead elementary schoolkids wouldn't do the trick, nothing will.That's exactly how people feel about muslims, tbh. Extremists on both sides need to shut the fuck up. :toast

mingus
12-11-2015, 07:14 PM
That's exactly how people feel about muslims, tbh. Extremists on both sides need to shut the fuck up. :toast

Except for the small difference that Muslims are human.

tlongII
12-11-2015, 08:13 PM
Why anyone would oppose Average White Band is beyond me.

boutons_deux
12-11-2015, 08:18 PM
That's exactly how people feel about muslims, tbh. Extremists on both sides need to shut the fuck up. :toast

typically false equivalence by you racists.

All Muslims aren't killers, all guns exist to kill.

Ball Buster
12-11-2015, 08:19 PM
https://reviewingpokemon.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/sjvjo.gif?w=300&h=225

boutons_deux
12-11-2015, 08:36 PM
Americans ares such quivering chickenshits, so gullible to fall for the NRA/gun industry/right-wing-hate-media propaganda, fear-mongering, "ISIS gonna kill us all".

SupremeGuy
12-11-2015, 08:48 PM

All Muslims aren't killers, all guns exist to kill.A gun is an intimate object. It can't do anything by itself. Blaming a gun because of what a person does with it is stupid and illogical.

SupremeGuy
12-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Americans ares such quivering chickenshits, so gullible to fall for the NRA/gun industry/right-wing-hate-media propaganda, fear-mongering, "ISIS gonna kill us all".You want to talk about fear mongering? Check out how the liberal media is treating Trump. He's as much an extremist as obama, just opposite spectrum.

boutons_deux
12-11-2015, 09:08 PM
You want to talk about fear mongering? Check out how the liberal media is treating Trump. He's as much an extremist as obama, just opposite spectrum.

Trump, the other Repug Klown wannabes, Repugs at all levels, are, have been, a much bigger threat to Americans than all the Repug-created Muslim jihadists.

SupremeGuy
12-11-2015, 09:23 PM
Trump, the other Repug Klown wannabes, Repugs at all levels, are, have been, a much bigger threat to Americans than all the Repug-created Muslim jihadists.Honest question, is there anything you don't blame on "Repugs?"

FuzzyLumpkins
12-11-2015, 09:25 PM

All Muslims aren't killers, all guns exist to kill.

what a retarded version of existentialism.

boutons_deux
12-11-2015, 09:33 PM
Honest question, is there anything you don't blame on "Repugs?"

Repugs nominate themselves, self-select for my derision.

I've asked a few times for all the wonderful, positive stuff the Repugs have done since 1980, and Repug devotee TB :lol came up with ADA 25 years ago. :lol

I invite you to tell us what positive stuff the Repugs have done since 1980.

Wild Cobra
12-11-2015, 09:35 PM

Maybe this 50% realize that weapons are not a bad thing in the hands of law abiding citizens, and that criminals would get them anyway.

Wild Cobra
12-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Americans ares such quivering chickenshits, so gullible to fall for the NRA/gun industry/right-wing-hate-media propaganda, fear-mongering, "ISIS gonna kill us all".

Speak for yourself. We are not all chickenshits like you.

spurraider21
12-11-2015, 09:39 PM
you would know. you said you wouldn't change our gun laws either

ChumpDumper
12-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Maybe this 50% realize that weapons are not a bad thing in the hands of law abiding citizens, and that criminals would get them anyway.So unlimited nitrate fertilizer for all, right?

ChumpDumper
12-11-2015, 10:22 PM
you would know. you said you wouldn't change our gun laws eitherYep, nothing will make any difference now.

Fear won.

spurraider21
12-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Yep, nothing will make any difference now.

Fear won.
Yep. If 20 dead elementary students won't do the trick with you, nothing will.

ChumpDumper
12-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Yep. If 20 dead elementary students won't do the trick with you, nothing will.I came to my conclusion after nothing happened following Sandy Hook.

Let me know if you have trouble understanding that. I know simple concepts can be really difficult for you.

SupremeGuy
12-11-2015, 10:41 PM

I've asked a few times for all the wonderful, positive stuff the Repugs have done since 1980, and Repug devotee TB :lol came up with ADA 25 years ago. :lol

I invite you to tell us what positive stuff the Repugs have done since 1980.You didn't answer, boutons. I'm genuinely asking because every thread you post in you blame "repugs." I just want to know where you draw the line, tbh.

TeyshaBlue
12-11-2015, 11:11 PM

I invite you to tell us what positive stuff the Repugs have done since 1980.

'sup staker?

TeyshaBlue
12-11-2015, 11:12 PM
And TARP, and the auto bailout and the other actions that don't fit your retarded narrative. :lol

boutons_deux
12-12-2015, 12:02 AM
And TARP, and the auto bailout and the other actions that don't fit your retarded narrative. :lol

TARP? :lol EVERY nearly EVERY Repug voted against TARP, and Killed any possibility of badly need further stimulus. :lol

The Repugs were AGAINST the auto bailouts.

Holy shit, your head is further up your ass than usual.

TeyshaBlue
12-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Bush passed both. Try again shithead.

boutons_deux
12-12-2015, 12:29 AM
Bush passed both. Try again shithead.

TARP, 2009

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/111-2009/h26

TeyshaBlue
12-12-2015, 12:31 AM
"The Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) is a program of the United States government to purchase assets and equity from financial institutions to strengthen its financial sector that was signed into law by U.S. President George W. Bush on October 3, 2008.
Troubled Asset Relief Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia › wiki › Troubled_Asset_Reli...

boutons_deux
12-12-2015, 12:33 AM
G.O.P. Senators Oppose Auto Bailout
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/17/business/17auto.html

boutons_deux
12-12-2015, 12:34 AM
GM Bailout Saved Millions of Jobs and Republicans Hate it

http://www.alternet.org/newsandviews/article/340648/gm_bailout_saved_millions_of_jobs_and_republicans_ hate_it

TeyshaBlue
12-12-2015, 12:34 AM
2 Minutes Ago #30
TeyshaBlue
I play pretty, no?
My Team
Dallas Mavericks
Post Count
"The Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) is a program of the United States government to purchase assets and equity from financial institutions to strengthen its financial sector that was signed into law by U.S. President George W. Bush on October 3, 2008.

boutons_deux
12-12-2015, 12:39 AM
2 Minutes Ago #30
TeyshaBlue
I play pretty, no?
My Team
Dallas Mavericks
Post Count

Repugs bailout FAILED (MISgovernance), then OBama's rescue worked, over the vehement objections of the Repugs.

TeyshaBlue
12-12-2015, 09:15 AM
:lmao :lmao

sickdsm
12-13-2015, 10:52 AM
Retards arguing.not over.policies but.rather if their favourite.team implemented.said policies and if they were successful. Smh.

Semi related to the above but Bill Clinton's.awb was horse chit. I bought a saiga 5.45 5 years ago. An Americanized ak74 for those who are not familiar. Policiy dictates that certain things are illegall to import such as a rifle with a pistol grip,large capacity magazines,, and others. At the factory is Russia they stick extra money into castrating the gun down and for.me to legally have the same features that I can get on an AR15 at Wal-Mart, I have to buy triggers and other parts that are made in the USA and throw away perfectly good factory parts. I have to do that to 9 parts to make it legal. Now the same guns and illegal to import but I can still buy the same caliber in an AR.