PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone catch the ESPN broadcast when they were talking about LMA adjusting?

freetiago
12-12-2015, 07:09 AM
I think it was sometime in the 2nd quarter. They talked to him and one thing he said he had a problem with is getting use to staying underneath the basket...So it sounds like Pop is actually telling one of the better pick and pop players to play like he's Tiago. Pop is sabotaging his game.

ceperez
12-12-2015, 07:29 AM
I think it was sometime in the 2nd quarter. They talked to him and one thing he said he had a problem with is getting use to staying underneath the basket...So it sounds like Pop is actually telling one of the better pick and pop players to play like he's Tiago. Pop is sabotaging his game.

Well Aldridge makes a lot of damage when he gets the pass right under the basket.

The pick and pop is nice, but it isn't as efficient as getting the ball under the basket. Honestly, he's got a lot of talent, but he chooses to play a very inefficient game.

freetiago
12-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Duncan is much better then Aldridge underneath the basket. His spacing creates lanes that Kawhi and Parker need. He should be floating on the perimeter a majority of the time.

Fireball
12-12-2015, 08:04 AM
I thought they were only talking about the Warriors 2OT game ...

Kikoluna
12-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Common man, we all know better than to watch spurs on espn. The level of disrespect we get from those guys is annoying. The broadcasters don't really know how things are going like Elliott and bill land. Fox sports all the way.

SAGirl
12-12-2015, 09:24 AM
What they said is the opposite of what you understood.They said that one of the things he said is that he has to resist the urge to camp underneath the basket for O boards and Oops. That he needs to move within the offense and relocate and find his spots as other guys are moving.I interpreted as LMA saying that he needs to learn how to move better without the ball to find spots where he might get the ball in a position to score.Its actually the opposite of what you thought.

TheGreatYacht
12-12-2015, 11:11 AM
Clogging up the paint with Lamarcus fucking Aldridge :lol

Lol Poop not utilizing one of the best mid range shooters in the game

hater
12-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Midrange shot is least efficient. Genius move tbqh

ElNono
12-12-2015, 11:46 AM
Was this before or after the Golden State Warriors game?

TheDoctor
12-12-2015, 11:52 AM
What they said is the opposite of what you understood.They said that one of the things he said is that he has to resist the urge to camp underneath the basket for O boards and Oops. That he needs to move within the offense and relocate and find his spots as other guys are moving.I interpreted as LMA saying that he needs to learn how to move better without the ball to find spots where he might get the ball in a position to score.Its actually the opposite of what you thought.

^ This actually. I thought it was pretty clear what they were explaining.

GSH
12-12-2015, 12:04 PM

Yep. And the Spurs under Pop have always been among the worst in the league at offensive rebounds, and among the best at defensive boards - by design. Pop wants them to get a high percentage shot, and get back on defense when they miss. Shoot a higher percentage than the other team, rake the defensive glass, and don't turn the ball over.

Every season or two, someone new here notices their poor ORB statistics, and starts bitching about it. It's never going to change, as long as Pop is coach. He doesn't want guys camping out, waiting for a chance at an offensive rebound. Aldridge gets a lot of put-backs, and I've gotten the impression that Pop is giving him a little slack to see how it works. But that has never been the Spurs' style of play in the Popovich era.

bklynspursfan
12-12-2015, 12:33 PM
You've got Duncan/Diaw/West who are all fine passers from the key area, and play the high/low very well. He got like 4-5 easy buckets off that a lone last night. He does damage in there and probably the best FT shooter of the 4. It helps to mix it up, but him being around the paint area occasionally is a strength of ours. Especially when he kicks out to our 3 point shooters when the D collapses on him

Mr Bones
12-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Yep. And the Spurs under Pop have always been among the worst in the league at offensive rebounds, and among the best at defensive boards - by design. Pop wants them to get a high percentage shot, and get back on defense when they miss. Shoot a higher percentage than the other team, rake the defensive glass, and don't turn the ball over.

Every season or two, someone new here notices their poor ORB statistics, and starts bitching about it. It's never going to change, as long as Pop is coach. He doesn't want guys camping out, waiting for a chance at an offensive rebound. Aldridge gets a lot of put-backs, and I've gotten the impression that Pop is giving him a little slack to see how it works. But that has never been the Spurs' style of play in the Popovich era.

:tu The Top ten offensive rebounders in the NBA are almost exclusively from teams that have no shot at a championship. That's often the case.

Leebrix
12-12-2015, 01:08 PM
Was this before or after the Golden State Warriors game?

Seriously, that shit was annoying. Calling the spurs game while they play the warriors full screen for both OT's and having to squint to see the spurs in the upper corner.

KDKSpurs24
12-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Seriously, that shit was annoying. Calling the spurs game while they play the warriors full screen for both OT's and having to squint to see the spurs in the upper corner.

I was pissed. I didn't mind it at first when they were going to show the last 20 seconds or so but when they went into OT and started showing the whole thing I was like WTF? They should have just put the Warriors game in the upper corner if they were going to do it.

sasaint
12-12-2015, 02:08 PM

:toast Wow, you've actually paid attention to Spurs games! Historically our shot goes up, and our guys are turning to get back on D. Odd that this forum needs this kind of reminder. LMA has been a much stronger force on the offensive glass than any Spur in recent memory. That is not by chance. You are absolutely right about Pop's giving LMA that latitude, or even encouraging him to hit the O boards. My guess is that LMA just has a better feel for offensive rebounding, and Pop is riding it.

BTW, I haven't checked LMA's stats to see what kind of offensive rebounder he has been throughout his career. Be interesting to know.

silverblackfan
12-12-2015, 02:39 PM
What they said is the opposite of what you understood.They said that one of the things he said is that he has to resist the urge to camp underneath the basket for O boards and Oops. That he needs to move within the offense and relocate and find his spots as other guys are moving.I interpreted as LMA saying that he needs to learn how to move better without the ball to find spots where he might get the ball in a position to score.Its actually the opposite of what you thought.This is what I heard too. That and a hell of a lot annoying GSW video and comments.

Raven
12-12-2015, 02:48 PM
there is no need for lamarcus t be taking mid range jumpers in the smallball era. he should punk an frontcourt in the league without ANY effort. And frankly, that's exactly what is going to happen.

tonight...you
12-12-2015, 02:57 PM
there is no need for lamarcus t be taking mid range jumpers in the smallball era. he should punk an frontcourt in the league without ANY effort. And frankly, that's exactly what is going to happen.
See, that's my first concern (besides how to defend) on facing the Warriors.
This team has all that height, power and savvy on the front line and I can just see everybody floating 10-15 feet away from the rim- giving their inherent advantage... no advantage.
I hope this team pounds the rock down their throats repeatedly when they go small ball during their confrontations.

I fear they won't.

DMC
12-12-2015, 03:08 PM
LMA wasn't hired for his Portland game, they never won shit. He was hired because of what he can do in SA with our trainers and our system.

DMC
12-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Duncan is much better then Aldridge underneath the basket. His spacing creates lanes that Kawhi and Parker need. He should be floating on the perimeter a majority of the time.
So you're saying the greatest power forward and probably top 5 player of all time, who's known as the "Big Fundamental" by the most dominant center since Wilt, has better post play than a guy who never made it to the conference finals?

Raven
12-12-2015, 03:21 PM
See, that's my first concern (besides how to defend) on facing the Warriors.
This team has all that height, power and savvy on the front line and I can just see everybody floating 10-15 feet away from the rim- giving their inherent advantage... no advantage.
I hope this team pounds the rock down their throats repeatedly when they go small ball during their confrontations.

I fear they won't.

that assumes leaving kawhi and green with space to shoot threes, which none would do no matter how bad is green playing. especially since it would give a high chance of offensive rebounding and a very low chance of transition offense.

tonight...you
12-12-2015, 03:30 PM
that assumes leaving kawhi and green with space to shoot threes, which none would do no matter how bad is green playing.
Exactly.
I've been thinking about the comments Harlem has been sharing with us about Green receiving passes from different angles, the timing being not as it was before being the contributing factors to Green's struggles.
I've seen comments on Green having a different shooting motion (which I haven't outright seen, but don't discount).

I don't knkow, but this team needs him to get his stroke back because the alternatives are not what makes for championship material.
Especially with a team like the Warriors looming (barring injuries to them) as the major obstacle.

Back on point though: This team simply cannot try to trade jumpers with the Dubs.
Ain't gonna work. This team has too many serious droughts.

They absolutely have to take tactical advantage of their strengths against smallball.
Establish premium position and ram it down. No floating and 18 footers.

They'll lose if they do that against the champs. Punish and get them to commit fouls. Even if they're trading baskets because the bigs can't necessarily guard the smalls.
Wear them down, put them in foul trouble, remain as efficient as possible. Then maybe you can establish an advantage in the waning, crucial moments of the game.

Like I said though: I still fear Kawhi settling for Kobe turnarounds, LMA staying out 18 ft and popping from there for his hit, or miss points and clanks from the outside as the Warriors do their thing.
Kawhi postups. LMA hitting the glass and pounding Draymond. Timmy punishing anyone small on him.
Then open it up for the open shooters. Who, I hope then hit.

YGWHI
12-12-2015, 05:53 PM
If LMA is camping under the basket Pop can't maximize the Parker-LMA PnR/pop...that's all.

LMA is highly involved on offense now, he has the highest FGA per 36 minutes. Kawhi, who was the leading scorer, has nearly half of attempts than LMA in the last games. Not sure how Pop has sabotaged his game...

lilbthebasedgod
12-12-2015, 05:56 PM
LMA's been great lately. I think he's doing fine.