PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Anderson?

Join'orDie
12-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Hey Spurstalk I don't post a ton here, but do like to lurk. Anyway I saw today that the Pelicans have put Ryan Anderson on the trade block, but I haven't seen anyone comment on that here and wanted to see other posters thoughts on the matter. Now if the Spurs were to trade for him it would have to be some kind of trade centered around Danny Green, who I believe the Spurs cannot even trade for another month.

I will admit I've never been a Green fan, despite the fact I recognize his value on the defensive end and on offense when he is hot. His hot and cold streaks have been to much for me to ever jump fully on his bandwagon. Now, NOP already have Evans and Gordon on the wings so idk if they would even have any interest in Green, however before this extended slump I would've said Danny was our most valuable trade piece due to his lower salary relative to potential production. Green was also one of the most sought after free-agents this off-season as an elite 3nD player.

Now I'm not hell bent on the Spurs making a change this year and honestly I see the chances of any kind of trade at about 1%, but the time to do it would be now when as the offense is still a work in progress as opposed to after its come together. That said I've always liked RA and feel he would fit well with the Spurs. What would be most intriguing about him is he could start at small forward and Leonard could move to the shooting guard where he would thrive even more than the at the 3.

With Ryan Anderson the Spurs staring lineup would be enormous. Teams would be forced to guard Leonard with their own 2 guards which he would destroy each and everyone in the league. Leonard's improved ball handling, passing, and three point percentage makes the move a natural one, as I expect Leonard to handle more of the offense as the season progresses (we've already seen more of him in the pick'n roll over the last few games). RA can also play small-ball four in a very exciting potential lineup with Simmons at the 2 and Leonard back at the 3.

Just a few of my thoughts. Sorry about the post length I'm a long-winded son of a bitch which is one of the reasons I don't post here too often. Anyways GSG.

ParadoxEN
12-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Lol

Join'orDie
12-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Lol

Ahh the other reason I don't post here nearly as often as I would like.

Brian Windhorst
12-12-2015, 03:01 PM
Trading him for Boris would be the only way to make the salary work, and we're not trading Boris Diaw to move laterally.

Brian Windhorst
12-12-2015, 03:05 PM
He's going to end up in Boston for Isaiah Thomas or Memphis for Jeff Green + a first.

Maybe Houston.

Join'orDie
12-12-2015, 03:13 PM
Trading him for Boris would be the only way to make the salary work, and we're not trading Boris Diaw to move laterally.

Green's $10 mil can't be traded for Anderson's 8.5? NOP could throw in some crap like Perkins that we could cut instantly. Danny could be part of a three team trade. I agree I wouldn't want to trade Boris. More a thought about trading high on Danny. And if we were to do so, which like I said about a 1% chance of that happening, Anderson is the type of player available to get in return.

DAF86
12-12-2015, 03:21 PM
Anderson isn't a SF, tbh.

DAF86
12-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Nor I would like to have it over LDN, tbh.

BatManu20
12-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Not happening.

Danny >> Anderson. In a few weeks after LDN breaks out of his shooting slump, ST will be right back to sobbing his knob tbh.

sasaint
12-12-2015, 03:46 PM

Don't let a "lol" deter you. As you know, it can be much worse. I like your thread, although I don't really agree with your take. I do agree that there is about a 1% of a trade happening. I really like Anderson, too, but he is not really a SF and cannot provide the defense we need there. Really just the wrong piece for us at the wrong time. We just need Danny to regain his form. If we didn't have DWest, Anderson would be a much better fit. But ain't no way we are trading West after he came specifically to the Spurs on a big discount. Plus, salaries wouldn't work. Bottom line is, we are still trying to integrate new pieces; I doubt Pop wants to add another new piece to complicate the team-building process.

tonight...you
12-12-2015, 03:49 PM
Don't let a "lol" deter you. As you know, it can be much worse. I like your thread, although I don't really agree with your take. I do agree that there is about a 1% of a trade happening. I really like Anderson, too, but he is not really a SF and cannot provide the defense we need there. Really just the wrong piece for us at the wrong time. We just need Danny to regain his form. If we didn't have DWest, Anderson would be a much better fit. But ain't no way we are trading West after he came specifically to the Spurs on a big discount. Plus, salaries wouldn't work. Bottom line is, we are still trying to integrate new pieces; I doubt Pop wants to add another new piece to complicate the team-building process.
Great post. I was typing a similar response (hence my bias towards your post) and you hit the nails on their heads.
You relegated me to needless redundancy so now I'm stuck with simple praise in your direction in it's stead.

Kudos.

GSH
12-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Green's $10 mil can't be traded for Anderson's 8.5? NOP could throw in some crap like Perkins that we could cut instantly. Danny could be part of a three team trade. I agree I wouldn't want to trade Boris. More a thought about trading high on Danny. And if we were to do so, which like I said about a 1% chance of that happening, Anderson is the type of player available to get in return.

I'm just curious - this shit happens here all the time. There's a player who you think sucks, and the Spurs need to dump him. Why do you guys always think another team wants to trade a player that you do like for him?

Seriously, do you guys fantasize about someone trading you a new Escalade for your shitty old Ford Focus? I just want to understand the thought process.

benefactor
12-12-2015, 03:54 PM
Isn't Anderson a huge playoff choker? A while back someone was talking about how terrible he was in the post season iirc.

timtonymanu
12-12-2015, 03:55 PM

Then don't make stupid threads like this.

spursistan
12-12-2015, 03:55 PM
Green has earned the benefit of the doubt at least for this season..If we die with him in the playoffs playing this way, only then i think PATFO will look to explore opportune deals in the summer..Nobody is untouchable on this Spurs roster bar Big 3 + Kawhi..even LMA hasn't earned his spurs in team hierarchy..

timtonymanu
12-12-2015, 03:56 PM
Isn't Anderson a huge playoff choker? A while back someone was talking about how terrible he was in the post season iirc.

Yep glorified Matt Bonner

tonight...you
12-12-2015, 03:58 PM
I'm just curious - this shit happens here all the time. There's a player who you think sucks, and the Spurs need to dump him. Why do you guys always think another team wants to trade a player that you do like for him?

Seriously, do you guys fantasize about someone trading you a new Escalade for your shitty old Ford Focus? I just want to understand the thought process.
You think cats with a Ford Focus don't fantasize about finding better vehicles for nothing?
You don't get that thinking? You, as well as I (because I reckon you as a very cogent individual) know we live in the microwave era. Instant gratification.
That extends now to all areas of our psyche. Especially now with the internet...
I don't want to necessarily argue, but... come on.

sasaint
12-12-2015, 04:12 PM
Great post. I was typing a similar response (hence my bias towards your post) and you hit the nails on their heads.
You relegated me to needless redundancy so now I'm stuck with simple praise in your direction in it's stead.

Kudos.

:toast A poster of your obvious insight should post more!!!

(Thanks)

Join'orDie
12-12-2015, 04:13 PM

I was more commenting on the person who "lol"ed me. If robdiaz had done it I would have taken it as a badge of honor. I guess I've always seen Anderson as more of a tweener PF/SF. Agree on the DWest point, Anderson would fit much better than West does, but as you said West might as well have a no-trade clause for this season. I was more thinking that if Simmons continues to perform well Anderson might be a more versatile offensive piece than Green. Though I certainly understand the defensive concerns. As I said just saw that he was available on the block today and as a player I always thought would fit in well here wanted to get some other opinions on the dude.

Uriel
12-12-2015, 04:25 PM

I understand and agree with your sentiment. But I could envision a scenario in which the Pelicans would be amenable to an Anderson-for-Green swap.

Anderson is an expiring contract, and the Pelicans are trying to trade him lest they lose him in free agency this summer for nothing. Acquiring Green, one of the better two-way guards in the league (when he's right) on a 3-year bargain deal would be a very tantalizing get.

If anything, the right question to ask isn't whether the Pelicans would be willing to do this, but if the Spurs would. And to that, I believe the answer is no.

Join'orDie
12-12-2015, 04:27 PM

I never said I thought Green sucked. In fact I said salary vs. potential production he was the Spurs most valuable trade piece before his recent slump. And as evidence by this off-season where I saw reports that multiple teams offered Green the same contract Wes Matthews got in Dallas it's clear other teams value the dude. I admitted I've never been a huge fan of his game, but I certainly recognize the value. This thread wasn't so much about trading Green as it was about Ryan Anderson who I had just seen was made available by NOP and Green was the only Spur (outside of Diaw) who would work salary wise. I certainly don't see RA as some great player, just a dude who's game (at least on offense) always looked like it would fit in great with the Spurs.

SAGirl
12-12-2015, 04:42 PM
He doesn't make sense for us this season since he would be hard pressed for playing time with our loaded frontcourt. We are not going to trade Danny because we need all our wings at the moment. Manu is old of course, but we also have two younger and inexperienced wings that will have up and downs in their development this season. We need whatever wing depth we currently have.

R.Anderson is also being traded bc he's expected to earn a max level offer in the offseason. Unless we are going to center our bench around his scoring ability and have him as a 6th man he would not make sense for us.

Overall, he's a nice player, but I think he doesn't fit with our current team and might not be a guy to build around moving forward.

There are other teams that can use a player like him and will offer picks and better incentives for a trade like Boston or even Suns with Morris situation.

Mnky
12-12-2015, 04:43 PM
I love the guy. Plays defense and has a wicked stroke. I don't see how he would get time with 4 pfs on the roster. He would have to take diaws time as the others play center sporadically and that won't happen.. Got Boban needed development time too, it's just a logjam right now for bigs. Unless he could play sf, I don't see it happening. Yes a spurs type of guy though.

RD2191
12-12-2015, 04:53 PM
I was more commenting on the person who "lol"ed me. If robdiaz had done it I would have taken it as a badge of honor. I guess I've always seen Anderson as more of a tweener PF/SF. Agree on the DWest point, Anderson would fit much better than West does, but as you said West might as well have a no-trade clause for this season. I was more thinking that if Simmons continues to perform well Anderson might be a more versatile offensive piece than Green. Though I certainly understand the defensive concerns. As I said just saw that he was available on the block today and as a player I always thought would fit in well here wanted to get some other opinions on the dude.
Rook poster bringing the goods. Bold this man.

Join'orDie
12-12-2015, 05:14 PM

:bobo

tonight...you
12-12-2015, 05:21 PM
I don't think gray names can demand Blackenings (is that racist?) upon other gray names...
Maybe I'm wrong.
I would think that you, of all posters here would be a gay, I mean a gray that gets taken seriously around these parts so all bets are off, but...

I'll say this: if he gets bolded- I'll...
Nah- I ain't gon' do nuthin' yet, my main man.
I still be Irie with me gray paint and my living in the clouds til otherwise be said.

WTF am I talking about?! I need to slow down on this sooper gud and Balvenie...

Richie
12-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Don't see us making the salaries work, I wouldn't give up Green or Diaw for him.

SpurPadre
12-12-2015, 05:34 PM
Yep glorified Matt Bonner

He was Michael Jordan last time he played against us, though, tbqh.

exstatic
12-12-2015, 05:36 PM
Green has earned the benefit of the doubt at least for this season..If we die with him in the playoffs playing this way, only then i think PATFO will look to explore opportune deals in the summer..Nobody is untouchable on this Spurs roster bar Big 3 + Kawhi..even LMA hasn't earned his spurs in team hierarchy..

RA is a FA this summer. One of the reasons they want to move him.

Kawhitstorm
12-12-2015, 05:37 PM
No reason to trade for Anderson when Kawhi/Diaw are on the roster. Even LMA/Diaw can stretch the floor so no need for an undersized PF. A team like the Rockets could use him since they are starting Howard/Capella together:lmao

SpurPadre
12-12-2015, 05:42 PM
I'd like to get Thabo but aside from Bud wanting to keep him, moneywise, we don't have the players worth giving up on our end to make such a deal work.

lilbthebasedgod
12-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Who would you want to give up? I think he's ok, but I'm not sure who they'd be willing to take and who we'd be willing to give.

SupremeGuy
12-12-2015, 05:52 PM

:bobohttp://www.troll.me/images/brick-tamland/damn-yall-niggas-gay.jpg

Kawhitstorm
12-12-2015, 05:58 PM
I'd like to get Thabo but aside from Bud wanting to keep him, moneywise, we don't have the players worth giving up on our end to make such a deal work.

Why would Bud give up Thabo when they are thin at the wing position? Their depth is the PG/PF spot.

YGWHI
12-12-2015, 06:02 PM
With Ryan Anderson the Spurs staring lineup would be enormous. Teams would be forced to guard Leonard with their own 2 guards which he would destroy each and everyone in the league.

I really like Anderson but we're fine with Boris.

However, the idea of play Kawhi at SG with Boris, LMA and Duncan against Thompson, Barnes, Green and Bogut isn't bad. Thompson can't defend Kawhi in the post, Boris is a mismatch nightmare for Barnes...

SpurPadre
12-12-2015, 06:11 PM
Why would Bud give up Thabo when they are thin at the wing position? Their depth is the PG/PF spot.

I know, it's a pipe dream but this is more sensible than asking for Ryan Anderson. Besides, Bud and Pop always seem to manage to hook each other up so it's not an impossible scenario, tbh. I'm not expecting it, of course.

RD2191
12-12-2015, 06:15 PM
I don't think gray names can demand Blackenings (is that racist?) upon other gray names...
Maybe I'm wrong.
I would think that you, of all posters here would be a gay, I mean a gray that gets taken seriously around these parts so all bets are off, but...

I'll say this: if he gets bolded- I'll...
Nah- I ain't gon' do nuthin' yet, my main man.
I still be Irie with me gray paint and my living in the clouds til otherwise be said.

WTF am I talking about?! I need to slow down on this sooper gud and Balvenie...
Son, I'm a legend around here.

Join'orDie
12-12-2015, 06:34 PM
I really like Anderson but we're fine with Boris.

However, the idea of play Kawhi at SG with Boris, LMA and Duncan against Thompson, Barnes, Green and Bogut isn't bad. Thompson can't defend Kawhi in the post, Boris is a mismatch nightmare for Barnes...

The idea Kawhi at the 2 has been something I've been mulling over this season. The only way it would work though is if you had a matchup problem taking his spot at 3, Kyle isn't there yet and Butler is strictly a bench guy. Which is why I liked the idea of Anderson if we were bringing him in to play the 3 (I know he mostly plays 4, but he can at least on offense play 3 sort of like Gallo or Hedo). I do like the idea of Boris playing 3 with Leonard, LMA, and TD on the floor. Other teams would be forced to have their 2 guards on Kawhi which would be almost comical. Kawhi would basically be the Lebron James of the shooting guard position at that point.

timtonymanu
12-12-2015, 06:37 PM
He was Michael Jordan last time he played against us, though, tbqh.

So was Matt Bonner against a couple of teams but when the playoffs rolled around, Anderson regressed.

tonight...you
12-12-2015, 06:37 PM
Son, I'm a legend around here.
Hence me saying that you, of all gray posters here would get the benefit of the doubt in my original post.

Now I'm beginning to figure out why you were made a joke out of being blacked, rather than actually being graced in that great, great thread.

Kawhitstorm
12-12-2015, 06:39 PM
I know, it's a pipe dream but this is more sensible than asking for Ryan Anderson. Besides, Bud and Pop always seem to manage to hook each other up so it's not an impossible scenario, tbh. I'm not expecting it, of course.

Bud might hookup Pop w/ Schroder in exchange for Kyle next summer. Kyle can be their Diaw & Schroder can be Manu's replacement then eventually become the starting PG by 2017-18 when Tony is on his last legs. It seems like Schroder is dischanted & might pull a Reggie Jackson if his role isn't elevated in the near future. Teague/Schroder will be free agents in the summer of 2017 so that will be D-Day for Bud.

SpurPadre
12-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Bud might hookup Pop w/ Schroder in exchange for Kyle next summer. Kyle can be their Diaw & Schroder can be Manu's replacement then eventually become the starting PG by 2017-18 when Tony is on his last legs. It seems like Schroder is dischanted & might pull a Reggie Jackson if his role isn't elevated in the near future. Teague/Schroder will be free agents in the summer of 2017 so that will be D-Day for Bud.

That would be a nice scenario too.

SAGirl
12-12-2015, 07:44 PM

For Bud to agree to that Kyle's stock would need to rise, but you are right ATL could be facing a potential Reggie Jackson situation with Schroder.

Let's say for whatever reason Kyle shows up in the postseason.... whatever it is, Bobo is sucking or someone else in small ball lineup is not cutting it, so Pop throws him to the fire and we see something nice there, his passing combined with maybe some clutch shots like we have seen him hit already.... and solid defense. Then at that point, he would become intriguing. Right now I don't think anyone would take Kyle/Schroder trade straight up.

However, being still a young guy, having the resume he's had, and showing potential in the post-season like that, I would think at that point he could become intriguing for Atlanta, maybe some other teams too, who knows? You have to look at how Batum has turned Charlotte's fortunes around. Having an a-positional SF type who is a playmaker and can shoot has a lot of value in the league.

Kyle would need to leap in shooting.... but Pop has him working strictly on defense and passing and not promoting any stat chasing.

Kawhitstorm
12-12-2015, 09:23 PM
For Bud to agree to that Kyle's stock would need to rise, but you are right ATL could be facing a potential Reggie Jackson situation with Schroder.

Schroder isn't lighting it up either & since salaries have to much he can't be traded for an established player. Bledsoe got traded for ReDick when he was an average role player & Reggie Jackson was traded for Waiters who was JR Smith status w/ the Cavs. Unless Schroder picks it up then it's not inconceivable that Kyle shows enough potential to warrant a swap if Schroder starts rocking the boat (might have to throw a late 1st rd pick to sweeten the pot).

SAGirl
12-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Schroder isn't lighting it up either & since salaries have to much he can't be traded for an established player. Bledsoe got traded for ReDick when he was an average role player & Reggie Jackson was traded for Waiters who was JR Smith status w/ the Cavs. Unless Schroder picks it up then it's not inconceivable that Kyle shows enough potential to warrant a swap if Schroder starts rocking the boat (might have to throw a late 1st rd pick to sweeten the pot).
Well he's scoring better than Kyle, and playing more. Kyle is probably viewed as a project. He's been displaced by Simmons with good reason, Schroder has had a set role for two seasons.

You are right though a 1st rounder could be needed. It is indeed a trade that could work for both teams.

GSH
12-12-2015, 10:33 PM
it's not inconceivable that Kyle shows enough potential to warrant a swap if Schroder starts rocking the boat (might have to throw a late 1st rd pick to sweeten the pot).

You are right though a 1st rounder could be needed. It is indeed a trade that could work for both teams.

All the Spurs' draft picks have been late-round for almost 20 years. Do you really think the Spurs would see Schroder as more valuable than Anderson PLUS whatever player they would get with the pick? (Think: Tony Parker, Beno Udrih, Ian Mahinmi, Tiago Splitter, George Hill, Cory Joseph.)

random21
12-12-2015, 10:42 PM
Good points op... Nice to bring it up, but no way it happens... He would fit pops system ala bonner replacement.. Just don't see green going anywhere, way too valuable

SAGirl
12-12-2015, 10:54 PM
All the Spurs' draft picks have been late-round for almost 20 years. Do you really think the Spurs would see Schroder as more valuable than Anderson PLUS whatever player they would get with the pick? (Think: Tony Parker, Beno Udrih, Ian Mahinmi, Tiago Splitter, George Hill, Cory Joseph.)

It depends on their plans for the future. As you know the Spurs are not averse to trades completely if they will improve the team... see G.Hill and Tiago. They traded a second rounder for Ray, a guy who was another second round player and who is not getting much playing time right now. So yes, while I see the Spurs as very careful managing their assets and players, they are not averse to a trade if it is required to improve the team moving forward.

I dont' see Schroder as a need right now, and it is questionable bc Tony and Patty are set for the future, but he's an intriguing developing young player who could be developed to replace Tony in the SL in the future. There are some egos there, as Tony wants to continue to be a PG for however many years, but who knows if he will reach that goal. Projecting our future PG situation is speculative at this point of course.

I also personally like Kyle a lot, and I would be reluctant to give up on him, but right now he's not getting playing time, as Simmons has emerged as a better option and as it stands, J.Simms is even eating into Danny's minutes. Kyle could really at this point find himself in a situation where he is not getting sufficient playing time bc there are better options ahead of him in the roster and not necessarily because he can't play.

He's had some nice games, but he's not had a constant set group or minutes to build up on whatever success he achieved early and thus, he's regressed. He looks unsure, lacking confidence and aggression out there. He might be better off in a different team that can really use his skillset (a passing SF/potential small ball 4) and we might get a nice piece to build up for the future as well.

Unless the Spurs are really dead set on seeing him as a piece of the future. Who knows?

Kawhitstorm
12-13-2015, 04:45 AM

If Simmons is the real deal then Kyle will be the odd man out for the wing rotation so it would basically be like trading a late 1st for Schroder as far as the Spurs are concerned even though the Hawks would also get Kyle who would be a rotation player b/c of their depth or lack-thereof at the wing position.