PDA

View Full Version : Warriors: Blueprint to beat Warriors: slow down the pace, pound the paint, hound Curry

UNT Eagles 2016
12-12-2015, 11:17 PM
Offense: You can't beat them with isoball and jacking up long shots without ball movement. It just doesn't happen. Allowing yourself to get in a track meet with them is as good as suicide. You have to pound the paint and punish them for playing smallball. Force them to commit to a double, and then and only then kick it out and make open 3's at a good clip. But you have to punish them in the paint, every single time down, no possessions off because the Warriors are too damn efficient on the other end for that. The Cavs did all of that perfectly through 3 games last Finals and would have definitely won if they had shot even a respectable NBA percentage from three point range (Irving going down didn't help, either).

Defense: Sticky glue to Curry. The other guys are decent shooters but they're not going to kill you like Curry. Have to make Iggy and Green beat you with jumpers. They're not a deep team so if you get the Warriors in foul trouble and they're trotting out guys like Barbosa, Ian Clark, Marreese Speights etc,. you have to make those guys beat you as well.

Bynumite
12-12-2015, 11:22 PM
My take: Play them on the 2nd night of back to back road games after a double OT :lol

LarryDavid
12-12-2015, 11:23 PM
...so if you get the Warriors in foul trouble and they're trotting out guys like Barbosa, Ian Clark, Marreese Speights etc,. you have to make those guys beat you as well.

Solid insights

UNT Eagles 2016
12-12-2015, 11:25 PM
My take: Play them on the 2nd night of back to back road games after a double OT :lol

Bucks played last night too. Granted, no double OT, but it's not THAT big of a difference and Klay Thompson was rested.

midnightpulp
12-12-2015, 11:25 PM

It's been proven that b2bs don't have any more or less influence on production than any other game. Warriors are still big favorites, though.

HemisfairArena
12-12-2015, 11:30 PM
As if other teams didn't think of this,,,,lmao. This Warriors team with Curry is like the Bulls sans the defense with Jordan. Everyone said slow down Jordan and win the game,,,easier said than done. Hence the Jordan rules,,,,everyone thinks that they can just shut down Curry easily,,,

UNT Eagles 2016
12-12-2015, 11:32 PM
Warriors now 9th in DRtg but a lowly 21st in oppPPG :lmao

Spurs with a comfortable lead on the rest of the NBA in both categories.

Bynumite
12-12-2015, 11:33 PM
It's been proven that b2bs don't have any more or less influence on production than any other game. Warriors are still big favorites, though.

Curry and Green played 47 and 50 minutes respectively last night but i'll believe the nerds who tell me that's irrelevant instead :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
12-12-2015, 11:38 PM
As if other teams didn't think of this,,,,lmao. This Warriors team with Curry is like the Bulls sans the defense with Jordan. Everyone said slow down Jordan and win the game,,,easier said than done. Hence the Jordan rules,,,,everyone thinks that they can just shut down Curry easily,,,

90s ball vs millennial ball, apples and oranges. They've relaxed the anti-zone and anti-pseudo double team rules since Jordan. To stop Jordan meant literally committing a second defender to him, which often meant someone had a guaranteed open jumper or layup. Also, the Bulls had a consistent go-to second weapon, while the Warriors don't and thus tend to get confused offensively when Curry is taken out of the game. Thompson is a nice player, but largely feeds off Curry and the system. He can't really create consistent quality shots for himself without some kind of help. Yeah they'll still score some, but they'll also miss and commit some turnovers along the way.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-12-2015, 11:39 PM
Curry and Green played 47 and 50 minutes respectively last night but i'll believe the nerds who tell me that's irrelevant instead :lol

Curry and Green aren't TOSBs, quit making excuses for them. Bucks were on a b2b as well and lost a close game so their guys played a lot as well. Worriers took the L, fair and square.

Reck
12-12-2015, 11:42 PM

Bullshit, cop out excuses.

These Warriors players are fucking young. They can take back to backs easier than say an ancient team could.

Just call it like it is, man. Curry and his mary band couldn't hit shots consistently. That has nothing to do with being tired.

Curry and Green dropped 28 and 24 points respectively.

So much for being tired.

Asif Ali Zardari
12-12-2015, 11:42 PM
lol Ive never seen a fanbase so happy that a team lost 1 game

They went from winning championships to celebrating regular season losses for the Dubs lmao

UNT Eagles 2016
12-12-2015, 11:45 PM
Bullshit, cop out excuses.

These Warriors players are fucking young. They can take back to backs easier than say an ancient team could.

Just call it like it is, man. Curry and his mary band couldn't hit shots consistently. That has nothing to do with being tired.

Curry and Green dropped 28 and 24 points respectively.

So much for being tired.

QFT, read my post above yours

LarryDavid
12-12-2015, 11:51 PM

What if the 2nd half of the b2b is also the 7th road game in row?

UNT Eagles 2016
12-12-2015, 11:55 PM

Bullshit, Spurs had a brutal Sunday day road game (9th road game in a row) after a Saturday night game (8th road game in a row; granted in the same state, but both games were against elite West contenders) at the end of a RRT in which we won the last 8 games and went 8–1 on the trip. And we weren't even that young that year, outside of Tim, Tony, Manu, Jackson and Claxton (who was still out injured). Eat that?

midnightpulp
12-12-2015, 11:56 PM

Iirc, the biggest production drop usually occurs on the 4th game of a 4 games in 5 nights situation.

LarryDavid
12-12-2015, 11:58 PM
Iirc, the biggest production drop usually occurs on the 4th game of a 4 games in 5 nights situation.

Thanks

https://datwinningdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/20121029_harden_mkp_05.jpg?w=1024&h=400&crop=1

DMC
12-13-2015, 12:18 AM
With Klay coming off an ankle injury after winning 24 in a row. Solid recipe, Ime is on it.

12-13-2015, 01:06 AM
Sample size of Warriors' losses; 1

daslicer
12-13-2015, 01:37 AM
The only thing out of this game you can get is they can't defend good post up players evident by Monroe going off on them. Duncan,LMA,Diaw will be able to post up and score whenever they want to against the Warriors.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-13-2015, 03:20 AM
Sample size of Warriors' losses; 1

Similar strategy employed by Cavs in games 1-3... where the Cavs went 2-1.

12-13-2015, 04:01 AM
You're implying the Cavs changed their game plan after game 3

TDMVPDPOY
12-13-2015, 04:21 AM
whats the point if ur team has a bunch of inefficiency shooters?

Spurtacular
12-13-2015, 06:09 AM

Klay had the night off; he somehow wasn't able to take over still.

JoeTait75
12-13-2015, 09:52 AM

Then the Warriors went small and the series was pretty much over after that. The Cavaliers pounded it inside to Mozgov almost at will late in the series and it didn't do them any good.

The way I see it you'd better have some kind of answer to Golden State's small lineups to have any sort of chance against them. Going big and going inside isn't the answer, imo.

Koolaid_Man
12-13-2015, 09:53 AM

:lmao

hater
12-13-2015, 10:09 AM

Pretty much.

Worriers ere tired. They were even trying to tank the Boston game but the Celtics and Isiah Thomas chuking prevented that :lmao

hater
12-13-2015, 10:10 AM
Taking anything from last nights loss is pretty dumb imo

DJR210
12-13-2015, 10:35 AM
I guess playing that grueling B2B was a.. blessing in disguise for the Bucks

TrainOfThought5
12-13-2015, 10:58 AM

Also that Grizz team that pushed them.

Jodelo
12-13-2015, 11:01 AM
One loss in the last game of a 7-game road trip. :lol People think they know how to beat them. :lmao

resistanze
12-13-2015, 12:04 PM
One loss in the last game of a 7-game road trip. :lol People think they know how to beat them. :lmao

Agreed, pretty fucking stupid. Definately the key to beating them wasn't revealed based on losing last night.

hitmanyr2k
12-13-2015, 12:47 PM
The key to beating run and gun teams has always been pretty simple. Control the pace of the game, control the boards and the game is there for the taking. Dumb, undisciplined teams that want to shoot a ton of threes play right into the Warriors hands. It makes for a scatter-brained game and that's what run and gun teams thrive on. Teams that have a good floor general and players with good/great post games slow down the pace, gets your team a better shot, puts your team in better position for rebounding and allows them to get back on defense. It's not rocket science.

~O~
12-13-2015, 01:46 PM
All this delusion in one thread is just...insufferable. I won't make excuses for the warriors.

I went to see what other fantasy opinions posters on youtube and facebook had of the Warriors. Of course it was all hatred They were mostly Cavs fans who are the original bandwagon fans and of course we all know how they are. Openly racist, unconsciously ignorant, and simple minded. We could say that about all fans around the NBA But the quality projects itself when its and abundant amount of fans that project these traits of emotions from a particular team. Their fans are probably filled with the most all around scornful hatred and delusion I've ever seen in sports fans.

Of course I expected these social networks to have no clear logic or rationale, with the exception of a finger digit count of posters. Just an assortment of misconstruction and fallacy which all points to why Golden State made their 25 game run in the first place.

------------------------
The Warriors lost this game to points of turnovers. They were also in need of a shoot around having shot under 30% from three for that game. At that point, I felt they were missing home court having been away for so long. They weren't exhausted but didn't care for the most part about that game. They came back 3 times from double digits to tie or close the game.

They proved their point to me in 20 games that they were the NBA's premier team and that will not stop from one loss. The loss doesn't impact them in ANY way as they remain still at their current position which is on an island on top of the league. They just had a two hour power outage for maintenance.

The extremely hyper sensitive opponent fan full of envy and jealousy when witnessing that success, that spotlight, that position. They called the Warriors success rigged, illegitimate, suspect; making up over simplified ways on containing the Warriors which the Warriors already deemed futile. They called them cocky...when the word is actually confident. They haven't talked shit at all about anyone but talked the truth; Draymond Green probably. The Warriors voiced their aspirations of going undefeated and that's easily something anyone would talk about being in that specific position.

Once again, they have my respect. Remember, Golden State is a young team and will only get better after winning this championship. You guys will have to deal with them for more than half a decade as well as the rest of the league.

JoeTait75
12-13-2015, 02:27 PM
The key to beating run and gun teams has always been pretty simple. Control the pace of the game, control the boards and the game is there for the taking. Dumb, undisciplined teams that want to shoot a ton of threes play right into the Warriors hands. It makes for a scatter-brained game and that's what run and gun teams thrive on. Teams that have a good floor general and players with good/great post games slow down the pace, gets your team a better shot, puts your team in better position for rebounding and allows them to get back on defense. It's not rocket science.

See, I think if you try to slow it down against the Warriors you're just going to limit yourself, while they still get theirs. It reminds me of when Indiana played UNLV in the 1987 Final Four and Bob Knight had the Hoosiers run with the Rebels when everyone thought they would try to slow the pace. When asked why he chose to play at UNLV's tempo Knight replied to the effect that if he tried to slow it down UNLV would still get its 90 points, but the Hoosiers would only get 60.

I really think to have any chance against Golden State you have to be able to do what they do best, and that's go small. Fight their fire with fire. What killed the Cavaliers in last year's Finals is that they didn't have the bodies to counter G-State's small rotations.

SupremeGuy
12-13-2015, 02:43 PM
lolaker fans with the shitty takes itt tbh :lol

mavsfan1000
12-13-2015, 03:34 PM
Warriors are done. Bucks exposed them. :D

DAF86
12-13-2015, 03:54 PM
All this delusion in one thread is just...insufferable. I won't make excuses for the warriors.

I went to see what other fantasy opinions posters on youtube and facebook had of the Warriors. Of course it was all hatred They were mostly Cavs fans who are the original bandwagon fans and of course we all know how they are. Openly racist, unconsciously ignorant, and simple minded. We could say that about all fans around the NBA But the quality projects itself when its and abundant amount of fans that project these traits of emotions from a particular team. Their fans are probably filled with the most all around scornful hatred and delusion I've ever seen in sports fans.

Of course I expected these social networks to have no clear logic or rationale, with the exception of a finger digit count of posters. Just an assortment of misconstruction and fallacy which all points to why Golden State made their 25 game run in the first place.

------------------------
The Warriors lost this game to points of turnovers. They were also in need of a shoot around having shot under 30% from three for that game. At that point, I felt they were missing home court having been away for so long. They weren't exhausted but didn't care for the most part about that game. They came back 3 times from double digits to tie or close the game.

They proved their point to me in 20 games that they were the NBA's premier team and that will not stop from one loss. The loss doesn't impact them in ANY way as they remain still at their current position which is on an island on top of the league. They just had a two hour power outage for maintenance.

The extremely hyper sensitive opponent fan full of envy and jealousy when witnessing that success, that spotlight, that position. They called the Warriors success rigged, illegitimate, suspect; making up over simplified ways on containing the Warriors which the Warriors already deemed futile. They called them cocky...when the word is actually confident. They haven't talked shit at all about anyone but talked the truth; Draymond Green probably. The Warriors voiced their aspirations of going undefeated and that's easily something anyone would talk about being in that specific position.

Once again, they have my respect. Remember, Golden State is a young team and will only get better after winning this championship. You guys will have to deal with them for more than half a decade as well as the rest of the league.

This guy talking about bandwagon fans. :lol

spursistan
12-13-2015, 04:11 PM
This guy talking about bandwagon fans. :lol
I'm not sure he is even aware of the extent of his own embarrasing sudden slurping of the Dubs :lol He says he is a Spur fan (with Magic logo), fwiw..I'm not sure what the hell is going on with that poster? and, by the way, i have no problem with posters proclaiming to be Warriors fans in this board..

DAF86
12-13-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm not sure he is even aware of the extent of his own embarrasing sudden slurping of the Dubs :lol He says he is a Spur fan (with Magic logo), fwiw..I'm not sure what the hell is going on with that poster? and, by the way, i have no problem with posters proclaiming to be Warriors fans in this board..

Everytime he talks about the Warriors (which is everytime he posts, tbh), he goes on these big walls of words that display a wider range of emotions than a teenage girl on her period.

ambchang
12-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Take out curry's ankles and break the knees of that shrek donkey.

Seriously, it's over for the rest of the league. Remind me of the 15 Hawks, 12 Spurs, 06 Pistons, 08 rox, 07 suns and 07 Mavs.

spurraider21
12-13-2015, 05:16 PM
warriors literally lose 1 game and suddenly they're "exposed"

SpursFan86
12-13-2015, 05:24 PM
Taking anything from last nights loss is pretty dumb imo

Taking anything from one regular season game period is usually a pretty dumb idea. Also, they're missing Barnes. While in a vacuum he's not a special player, he's important to the Warriors because he allows them to go small and play their best lineup of Curry/Klay/Iggy/Barnes/Draymond (net RTG of +66.5 in 65 minutes played this year).

That being said, I do agree somewhat with the OP in that the Spurs will need to punish them inside over the course of a series. LMA will have to be aggressive and take advantage of Draymond in the post, and Kawhi/Aldridge will have to crash the glass hard and win the battle on the boards.

TD 21
12-13-2015, 05:26 PM
Then the Warriors went small and the series was pretty much over after that. The Cavaliers pounded it inside to Mozgov almost at will late in the series and it didn't do them any good.

The way I see it you'd better have some kind of answer to Golden State's small lineups to have any sort of chance against them. Going big and going inside isn't the answer, imo.

For sure, you need to be match-up proof, not just against them, but in general to win the championship nowadays, but Mozgov and Thompson aren't Duncan, Aldridge and Diaw.

For all the closet Warriors fans pulling the "one loss" card, their expected record is now a whopping three games worse than their actual one, which is to say, they've gotten lucky to this point.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-14-2015, 04:47 AM
Exactly what I've been illustrating all along.

The only issue is that they're one of the first run and gun teams to actually care about defense, in other words closing out to shooters and making it harder for guards to penetrate and get to the rim, but if you stay disciplined offensively and force the ball into the paint you can score easily over their small defenders and if they double you've got open threes all night. Only reason the Warriors got back into the WCSF series last year and beat the Grizzlies was because they figured out that they could just leave Tony Allen out in the corner by himself and he'd clang threes all night. And once the Grizzlies were forced to take out Allen, their defense greatly suffered and inferior defenders like Courtney Lee and old Vinsanity were repeatedly murdered on the other end.

NameLess Scrub
12-14-2015, 11:49 AM

FWIW, I'm a Spurs/Magic fan too :lol

UNT Eagles 2016
12-14-2015, 07:49 PM

Any of the Warriors fans who have been around for awhile is fine with me... the alts are not, tbh.

K...
12-14-2015, 08:25 PM
What if we try that air conditioner trick again?

DAF86
12-14-2015, 08:28 PM

That wold be good, tbh. We have Tony, Mills, Manu, Diaw and Boban all with experience in playing professional ball without air conditioner.

sexinthatsx
12-15-2015, 04:17 AM
See, I think if you try to slow it down against the Warriors you're just going to limit yourself, while they still get theirs. It reminds me of when Indiana played UNLV in the 1987 Final Four and Bob Knight had the Hoosiers run with the Rebels when everyone thought they would try to slow the pace. When asked why he chose to play at UNLV's tempo Knight replied to the effect that if he tried to slow it down UNLV would still get its 90 points, but the Hoosiers would only get 60.

I really think to have any chance against Golden State you have to be able to do what they do best, and that's go small. Fight their fire with fire. What killed the Cavaliers in last year's Finals is that they didn't have the bodies to counter G-State's small rotations.

Honestly, the Spurs method works best... just stick the signature elite defender on the star. If he still goes off then hats off, but as long as the rest of the team shuts down Draymond, Klay, Igoudala and Barnes they'll be just fine. Everybody is sucking off how good Draymond Green is at defense, and while he has had his merit defending tall lanky forwards and jump shooting centers, he hasn't come across any legitimate post-scorers yet.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-15-2015, 04:42 AM
Curry melts, Green transforms into a wild beast with claws and jagged teeth