PDA

View Full Version : Tonight is the best the Spurs have looked so far and its not even close

siraulo23
12-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Particularly offensively

a small preview of hopefully what we'll see in the POs :tu

Everyone on the floor live and a threat, recognizing mismatches and attacking the basket with purpose. Spurs decisive and quick to their sets, like they've been playing for years.

LMA has looked more and more comfortable in the offense the past 5 games or so but tonight especially there was no hesitation, the best LMA has looked in terms of when be aggressive and take shots, when to pass etc...

bic50
12-12-2015, 11:49 PM
Agreed. This is probably the first time the entire team played well. Green hit some shots, Kawhi looked like he did pre stomach issues, manu hit shots, patty went off, simmons was solid, Tim was tim, tony not bad either. And the defense was amazing. Spurs seem very close to playing to their potential.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-12-2015, 11:52 PM
Christ no..

Did you watch the game? :lol Or did you just skim the stat sheet and miss the little tidbit about us having 23 fucking turnovers? :lmao

Defense wasn't even that great, either. They missed a lot of open shots and the turd towers weren't even trying to guard guys like Millsap when they attacked the rim. Spurs were much more lucky than good tonight, but we did shoot pretty well when we did get opportunities and that helped. Still, as Sean suggested towards the end, Pop would probably be best to burn the tape.

siraulo23
12-12-2015, 11:53 PM
I thought parker was amazing tonight ^ good on defense, and ran the offense really well. He just made great decisions all night tbh

siraulo23
12-12-2015, 11:54 PM
Id rather they be aggressive and turn it over than be passive tbh. Thats the only way this team can get to the next level, and tonight i thought was a big leap to where this team wants to be come playoff time

bic50
12-12-2015, 11:57 PM
Forgot about the turnovers. Spurs had a ton of them. Need to cut down on those for sure.

siraulo23
12-12-2015, 11:59 PM
Christ no..

Did you watch the game? :lol Or did you just skim the stat sheet and miss the little tidbit about us having 23 fucking turnovers? :lmao

Defense wasn't even that great, either. They missed a lot of open shots and the turd towers weren't even trying to guard guys like Millsap when they attacked the rim. Spurs were much more lucky than good tonight, but we did shoot pretty well when we did get opportunities and that helped. Still, as Sean suggested towards the end, Pop would probably be best to burn the tape.

Duncan and aldridge were amazing on defense. On the pick and roll and protecting the rim. David West, i agree he did not do a good job on millsap

Stabula
12-13-2015, 12:01 AM
Agreed. He played like a real competitor who's tired of playing like shit the past season and a half. Glad to see him have such a strong start to the season considering his mileage.

YGWHI
12-13-2015, 12:13 AM
Duncan and aldridge were amazing on defense. On the pick and roll and protecting the rim. David West, i agree he did not do a good job on millsap
Spurs' D was really good. We know that Bobo and DWest contested very few shots but we can live with it if our shots are falling.

Asif Ali Zardari
12-13-2015, 12:14 AM
Spurs have literally had the easiest schedule in the NBA lol

vander
12-13-2015, 12:19 AM
2nd half was awful just awful

siraulo23
12-13-2015, 12:21 AM
Spurs arent gonna hold the hawks to 50 points tbh ^

FuzzyLumpkins
12-13-2015, 12:25 AM
Spacing, angles, and timing on offense still seem way off with the starters. Aldridge fucked up horns again. It takes too long to get into the offense and more postups being entered with 7 seconds on the clock and the like. Teams are still funneling the ball to Green helping off him early in the possession and he cannot make them pay. He is starting to get more open looks in the offense. I wish he had that midrange jumper like Kawhi.

We are milking the high low for a steady stream of layups though. LMA in particular has been great setting up and moving without the ball to get those looks.

YGWHI
12-13-2015, 12:34 AM
Like the last games, the Spurs were force-feed LMA in the first half, but this time it resulted in some bad passes and turned the ball over too much.
Danny's TO? Well, someone should tell him he isn't an offensive machine driving to the hoop

TampaDude
12-13-2015, 12:39 AM
We're gonna smash GS.

DMC
12-13-2015, 12:45 AM
Good defense, but they were way too lose on offense but didn't seem to care, probably knowing they could beat the Hawks at the other end.

Drachen
12-13-2015, 12:51 AM
I have to say this. Why the fuck did Duncan have 31 minutes?

GSH
12-13-2015, 01:01 AM
Spacing, angles, and timing on offense still seem way off with the starters. Aldridge fucked up horns again. It takes too long to get into the offense and more postups being entered with 7 seconds on the clock and the like. Teams are still funneling the ball to Green helping off him early in the possession and he cannot make them pay. He is starting to get more open looks in the offense. I wish he had that midrange jumper like Kawhi.

Being able to sag off Green also lets them fuck up more passing angles, force wider passes, and create more TO's. Plus it gives teams a place to hide a weak defender. And they're going to start doing it more and more, until Danny proves he can hurt them for it.

I think the Spurs got by with an awful lot tonight, because the Hawks were sloppy as hell. They (the Spurs) went without a score in the first half (not without a FG, but without even a FT) for over six minutes, and only lost 4 points of their lead. And it wasn't all because they played flawless defense. The Hawks just played almost as crappy as the Spurs did in that stretch.

If nothing else, people should have noticed that the Spurs had 23 freaking turnovers! That will lose the game about 90% of the time. If you turn the ball over 23 times and win in a blowout, it means the other team played like absolute shit. That's about all you can take from it.

Spurtacular
12-13-2015, 01:05 AM
I didn't catch the game til it was well in hand; but I'm happy to see the end of the bench guys playing well. That wasn't happening at all in the early going.

Chris
12-13-2015, 01:11 AM
Don't tell Sean Elliott that, he was very critical of the Spurs after the game saying it was one of the ugliest 25 point wins he's ever seen. I think he was just cranky from lack of sleep tbh

SAGirl
12-13-2015, 01:20 AM
I didn't catch the game til it was well in hand; but I'm happy to see the end of the bench guys playing well. That wasn't happening at all in the early going.
Props to this comment and I fully agree.

Pop had a super strict 8 man rotation that I thought would kill us in the long run.
Now he's using everyone depending on what he feels we need and what is encouraging is that those guys playing at the end sometimes are able to even expand leads.

The one area of concern remains the same as we have always had Diaw/West, and really WEst in particular. He's no rim protector, and what is worse for me, he doesnt box out and rebound. He's a veteran, I guess he is what he is and we will live with that for the RS. In the postseason, we probably won't see them together much.

Patty PnR D with D.West is terrible.

i agree with GSH WE played poorly for long stretches in this game, but ATL didn't show up until Millsap tried to rally their team in the 3rd and they made a run. Luckily for us everyone was on fire.

If this was one of those games where we don't make 3s like the Raptors game, forget it. Very different outcome.

bic50
12-13-2015, 01:26 AM

Lmao lakers

siraulo23
12-13-2015, 01:28 AM
Being able to sag off Green also lets them fuck up more passing angles, force wider passes, and create more TO's. Plus it gives teams a place to hide a weak defender. And they're going to start doing it more and more, until Danny proves he can hurt them for it.

I think the Spurs got by with an awful lot tonight, because the Hawks were sloppy as hell. They (the Spurs) went without a score in the first half (not without a FG, but without even a FT) for over six minutes, and only lost 4 points of their lead. And it wasn't all because they played flawless defense. The Hawks just played almost as crappy as the Spurs did in that stretch.

If nothing else, people should have noticed that the Spurs had 23 freaking turnovers! That will lose the game about 90% of the time. If you turn the ball over 23 times and win in a blowout, it means the other team played like absolute shit. That's about all you can take from it.

I agree 23 turnovers is way too much but i think this team needs to go through this stretch, be overaggressive and take advantage of mismatches. Force feed LMA, let kawhi go to work when has a smaller defender on him

I just liked how the whole team was aggressive tonight, no wasted motion, they were attacking the paint and kicking out to the open shooter and it seemed like everyone was on the same page in terms what they wanted to run. Now, was the execution flawless? no at all, but with i saw tonight i think they'll get there soon

siraulo23
12-13-2015, 01:29 AM
Don't tell Sean Elliott that, he was very critical of the Spurs after the game saying it was one of the ugliest 25 point wins he's ever seen. I think he was just cranky from lack of sleep tbh

I watched Hawks broadcast tbh :lol

Arcadian
12-13-2015, 02:05 AM
Sean Elliott: "This team is making mistakes and getting rewarded for it."

Spurtacular
12-13-2015, 03:56 AM
The one area of concern remains the same as we have always had Diaw/West, and really WEst in particular. He's no rim protector, and what is worse for me, he doesnt box out and rebound. He's a veteran, I guess he is what he is and we will live with that for the RS. In the postseason, we probably won't see them together much.

West is a use as needed guy come the playoffs. Tim and LMA will get the bulk of the minutes. Diaw and West won't play many minutes together.

Fireball
12-13-2015, 06:35 AM
I have to say this. Why the fuck did Duncan have 31 minutes?

Asked this myself ... big lead ... so you put Aldridge in there and not Timmy to finish the game

ceperez
12-13-2015, 06:46 AM

We are milking the high low for a steady stream of layups though. LMA in particular has been great setting up and moving without the ball to get those looks.

LMA just unfamiliar with the kind of attention to detail. Timing has to be near perfect.

ceperez
12-13-2015, 06:48 AM
One observation, Kyle Anderson didn't play until garbage time.

kobyz
12-13-2015, 07:23 AM
Lets just hope apalisoc will remain in quitting...

boutons_deux
12-13-2015, 07:42 AM
post-game, Sean disagreed, 23 TOs, throwing the ball all over the gym.

Spurs were lucky Hawks couldn't hit wide-open shots, layups, not because Spurs denied them wide-open shots and layups.

Spurs also lose when Spurs shoot 37%.

Robz4000
12-13-2015, 08:17 AM
:lol no, it was a terrible game outside Kawhi

Trueblood
12-13-2015, 09:00 AM
Missed the game, but if a 23 TO game is the best we've played we're looking at another first round exit.

r0drig0lac
12-13-2015, 09:56 AM
Hawks missed many open shots

Russo21
12-13-2015, 09:57 AM
Old man riverwalk just seems to enjoy basketball more and more. You saw the smiles and laughing when he was facing his old buddy Tiago. He just loves the game so much he could play another 10 years

GSH
12-13-2015, 10:01 AM
Missed the game, but if a 23 TO game is the best we've played we're looking at another first round exit.

And yet you get what a lot of those who did watch the game don't understand.

ceperez
12-13-2015, 10:02 AM
Hawks missed many open shots

I guess that similarly explains why Sixers just air balled many shots. Spurs seem lucky lately that their opponents offense seems to disappear. Amazing luck.

ElNono
12-13-2015, 10:06 AM
It was one of those nights where everything seems to work your way, even after mistakes, which we had many, especially on offense. We'll take the W.

ceperez
12-13-2015, 10:09 AM
I guess Spurs play well when Bobo doesn't need to score?

I didn't see the first part of the game, but I do know that Bobo only takes initiative when he needs to. Apparently in this game, he basically took a vacation.

ElNono
12-13-2015, 10:24 AM
I guess Spurs play well when Bobo doesn't need to score?

I didn't see the first part of the game, but I do know that Bobo only takes initiative when he needs to. Apparently in this game, he basically took a vacation.

It's one game. This stuff happens... luckily it happened to us on a back to back...

I watched the Hawks on their loss against OKC on the road 3 days ago, and they hit almost everything. Bazemore couldn't miss. Last night they couldn't hit shit, missed bunnies at the rim, etc. Some it's the Spurs defense, but some it's luck. You gotta take it and move on.

The reality is that we were careless at times, too many turnovers, and we were uninspired offensively to start the game and in the middle of the 3rd quarter. There's gonna be plenty of material there for Pop to show the team. But that's how you get better.

r0drig0lac
12-13-2015, 10:28 AM
I guess that similarly explains why Sixers just air balled many shots. Spurs seem lucky lately that their opponents offense seems to disappear. Amazing luck.

I did not understand the irony, but if you are comparing the Sixers with the hawks you are already losing

SAGirl
12-13-2015, 10:35 AM
One observation, Kyle Anderson didn't play until garbage time. Pop has given all of his time and some of Danny's time to Simmons. Actions speak louder than words and it seems Pop has fasttracked Simmons due to his obvious talent, combined with the need to find an answer to replace Danny's production. He's looking for answers at the SG position and may have found them.

Simmons has been playing really well so he deserves the minutes. At this point Kyle, Rasual, Bonner, are situational players. Kyle likely to play only when Manu rests or when there are injuries, Simmons former role.

Noteworthy that Rasual continues to play well in short minutes and Bonner still has his shot.

I would like to see Ray and Kyle back in the dleague for a short assignment. Kyle needs to regain his aggressiveness and his shot. That is really why he's not playing. He was fine everywhere else but kept passing out of shots and be a non entity offensively at times. Ray could use more repetitions in the system.

Sean Cagney
12-13-2015, 02:12 PM

Yeah, they did just play the Lakers come to think of it the other night :lol:lol