PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Pursuit Of The 1 Seed

Spurtacular
12-13-2015, 12:55 AM
Warriors have been showing cracks for a while now. The Bucks loss crushes their aura of invincibility; and we could very well see a deluge of losses now. And just like that, the Spurs are 4 games back; and the pursuit of the 1 seed has intensified.

exstatic
12-13-2015, 09:29 AM
I don't know about a deluge, but you could easily see a 6-4 stretch at some point in the near future. They've been playing wildly over their heads to keep this going and now it's over.

Fireball
12-13-2015, 09:44 AM
yes, the Warriors will lose more games ... but they have shown less cracks with injuries than the Spurs and are able to win close games ... so no No.1 seed for the Spurs tbh

ceperez
12-13-2015, 09:45 AM
Spurs coast too often, not likely they win number 1 seed.

cjw
12-13-2015, 09:48 AM
I wouldn't necessarily call the streak them being able to win close games. Throw in a Clippers epic collapse because Austin Rivers gets minutes, a Nets' Brook Lopez blown layup, Boston trying to force bad shots with chances to win, and they all somehow went the Warriors' way (not to mention other close games, notably against the Raptors). Spurs got burned by Bradley Beal. Other games close too.

Spurs' execution down the stretch remains below average, but the Warriors will revert to the mean - or at least not win ever close game.

Russo21
12-13-2015, 09:49 AM
It must be disheartening to get off to an all time start to a season, then look at the standings and the Spurs are only 4 games back in the Loss column and only -0.9 in differential. GSW have the same team as last year. SA has struggled to get LMA adjusted and Danny Green is sucking balls. You'd think a 24 game win streak to start the season would have them more than 4 games ahead of number 2. I'd say they'd be a little bummed out about that and when LMA and Green get going the Spurs could catch them which would be crazy considering GSW started 24-0.

Some teams have an aura of invincibility about them during a massive run and then the cracks show. Houston a few years ago won 20 odd straight and then sucked, the Spurs won 20 straight a few years ago and then boom, lost 4 straight and were out of the playoffs. One loss definitely can bring a crack, give other teams hope and they have a huge target on their back. Will be an interesting few weeks to see how they respond to their first loss.

exstatic
12-13-2015, 09:51 AM
yes, the Warriors will lose more games ... but they have shown less cracks with injuries than the Spurs and are able to win close games ... so no No.1 seed for the Spurs tbh

That's a pretty dumb call with 4 games separating the two, and 57 games left. It's almost like you never see the Spurs in March.

ceperez
12-13-2015, 09:57 AM
It must be disheartening to get off to an all time start to a season, then look at the standings and the Spurs are only 4 games back in the Loss column and only -0.9 in differential. GSW have the same team as last year. SA has struggled to get LMA adjusted and Danny Green is sucking balls. You'd think a 24 game win streak to start the season would have them more than 4 games ahead of number 2. I'd say they'd be a little bummed out about that and when LMA and Green get going the Spurs could catch them which would be crazy considering GSW started 24-0.

Some teams have an aura of invincibility about them during a massive run and then the cracks show. Houston a few years ago won 20 odd straight and then sucked, the Spurs won 20 straight a few years ago and then boom, lost 4 straight and were out of the playoffs. One loss definitely can bring a crack, give other teams hope and they have a huge target on their back. Will be an interesting few weeks to see how they respond to their first loss.

Spurs are very scaring considering they are still adjusting and aren't even close to their peak. Add to that, Spurs have been resting players throughout the season. Now they are only less than a point differential from a historic GSW run. That's is absolutely crazy.

The way Spurs are also putting away opponents is scary. Spurs are just shutting down the opponents offense. GSW dares a team to shoot better than they do. Spurs by contrast just takes away the opponents offense. That's called imposing one's will on another team.

Russo21
12-13-2015, 10:00 AM
Spurs are very scaring considering they are still adjusting and aren't even close to their peak. Add to that, Spurs have been resting players throughout the season. Now they are only less than a point differential from a historic GSW run. That's is absolutely crazy.

The way Spurs are also putting away opponents is scary. Spurs are just shutting down the opponents offense. GSW dares a team to shoot better than they do. Spurs by contrast just takes away the opponents offense. That's called imposing one's will on another team. :toast

100%duncan
12-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Calm your titties

Raven
12-13-2015, 10:57 AM
warriors will have the #1 seed, we care about getting healthy to the post season. Let them make records, they are young and hungry and good.

Seventyniner
12-13-2015, 12:01 PM
Both the Spurs and Warriors have expected records (based on point differential) of 21-4. The Spurs' defense is now almost as far above league average as the Warriors' offense. And, as pointed out above, the Spurs have more room to improve than the Warriors.

Up until this week I thought the Warriors were a notch above the Spurs but not miles ahead. Now I think the two teams are fairly even, though I still give a small edge to the Warriors.

SAGirl
12-13-2015, 12:17 PM
You could make the case either way.

It is possible if our guys stay healthy and we don't have injuries through the season because with minutes management and rest for the right games, our team's incredible depth this year can help us to sustain wins while we rest the vets... so it is possible.

On the other hand, it is unlikely precisely bc we are older and we have been lucky to stay healthy ourselves. You point to LMA and D.Green's issues, but I will counter that we have been blessed with a healthy and awesome Manu, and a much-better-than-we-thought Tony.

GSW youth and depth will allow them to truck along better than we will, and we want to reach the postseason super healthy and playing well, and not wear out our guys too much in the process.

Ultimately though, it will depend on whether we continue to improve our record on the road, and how well we start handling close games. Our close game execution has been iffy, and that is where the GSW have excelled, winning many close games down the stretch.

Budkin
12-13-2015, 12:19 PM
I'm fine with the 2 seed. We can beat them.

spursistan
12-13-2015, 12:28 PM
Very unlikely IMO..only +2 weeks injury layoff to Curry or Draymond Green may give us shot..They are deep and have a much young core while seemingly aiming at the Bulls reg season record..on the other hand you have Pop and his +34 yo Big three..Even Kawhi's scratched toenail may yield him a DNP-rest :lol..

The Thunder are in our heels and improving lately, we will keep trying to win and secure 2nd seed at minimum.....

Having said that, the Dubs will deflate a bit now and those late game bounces won't go totally in their favor..

KDKSpurs24
12-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Umm.. There is still that possibility of their loss taking major weight off of their shoulders and making them even better. Now they don't have to focus on the pressure of the streak and can play loose again.

Hopefully it goes the other way though and it sticks in their mind a little bit and make them worse.

Both are possible. Time to see which.

houston spurs fan
12-13-2015, 12:46 PM
Not worried about a mid-2000's Phoenix team part deaux. Let them go 81-1. We just need to be healthy and I like our chances.

TXstbobcat
12-13-2015, 12:50 PM
Schedule has been easy so far and gets tougher later on in the season. If the Spurs end up with the 2 seed, I'm cool with that.

Trainwreck2100
12-13-2015, 01:03 PM
they're closer to the 3 seed than they are to the one seed

UNT Eagles 2016
12-13-2015, 02:50 PM
I'm fine with the 2 seed. We can beat them.

I don't want to play both OKC and then GSW... I'm not scared of the Clippers though.

spursistan
12-13-2015, 03:04 PM
say what you want about the Clippers mental midgetry, but they actually hang tough with Warriors most of times..they won't beat them, but 6 hard-fought game series in 2nd round isn't out of question..LAC is sitting at 4th seed even after this poor start, hopefully they stay in that seed zone and maybe late hot Rockets get the 5th seed and we have mostly a balanced bracket..

pookenstein
12-13-2015, 03:22 PM
I think it's more important to have a better record than the Cavs (or whoever finishes first in the East). I don't think HC will be the deciding factor between us or the Dubs.

soxxx
12-13-2015, 03:44 PM
The Warriors are try-hards. The Heat had a huge win streak in 2013 and if it wasnt for you know what, they were not going to be NBA Champions. Its not even Christmas, a Spurs-Warriors could go either way imo. We dont need home court.

Fireball
12-13-2015, 04:18 PM
That's a pretty dumb call with 4 games separating the two, and 57 games left. It's almost like you never see the Spurs in March.

it is just a gut feeling ... but thanks for calling it dumb ... see you in March!

DAF86
12-13-2015, 04:33 PM
I want the Warriors to break the Bulls record, tbh.

Pako
12-13-2015, 04:40 PM
Peaking at the right time is more important than having number 1 seed. We've been at different positions before whether number 1 to 8 but it always boils down to peaking at the right time. As mention above, we have more room to improve than the GSG. As long as we are healthy and our offense starts to gel, i am ok with 2 or 3. We will be kicking butt in the post season..

daledondale
12-13-2015, 04:43 PM
I want the Warriors to break the Bulls record, tbh.
Same here. They will be RS champions and in playoffs, i hope we break their asses down.

cjw
12-13-2015, 05:24 PM
Slightly off topic, but why the HELL did Draymond accept anything less than the max? It's not like the Warriors had a choice in the matter, or did his contract impact what other guys they could bring in.

SpursFan86
12-13-2015, 05:27 PM
Slightly off topic, but why the HELL did Draymond accept anything less than the max? It's not like the Warriors had a choice in the matter, or did his contract impact what other guys they could bring in.

I mean he got 5/$85 million, which is "only" $5 million less total ($1 million per year) than the max he could've gotten IIRC. Even after his impressive season last year, it's not like everyone was 100% confident he was some superstar caliber player going forward. It just looks bad now because he's looked even better this year and is playing like a legitimate top 10-15 player in the league so far.

Uriel
12-13-2015, 05:36 PM
Another thing to note is that the Spurs control their own destiny. If they beat the Warriors in all 4 of their regular season meetings, they can leapfrog them in the standings and get that #1 seed.

spurraider21
12-13-2015, 05:48 PM
spurs aren't getting the 1 seed

spurs10
12-14-2015, 03:25 AM
Another thing to note is that the Spurs control their own destiny. If they beat the Warriors in all 4 of their regular season meetings, they can leapfrog them in the standings and get that #1 seed. That's the spirit!

Kawhitstorm
12-14-2015, 03:47 AM
Another thing to note is that the Spurs control their own destiny. If they beat the Warriors in all 4 of their regular season meetings, they can leapfrog them in the standings and get that #1 seed.

Spurs only play the Warriors 3 times this season:depressed

phxspurfan
12-14-2015, 03:59 AM
Warriors are like the 07 Suns. Total reg season team. They will blow in the playoffs against good teams.

aal04
12-14-2015, 04:12 AM
GSW is a given. They will get number 1 seed, and i would back us to beat them.

Im more worried about OKC. WB and KD. thats 2 of the top 5 in the league in one fricken team.

Spurtacular
12-14-2015, 04:22 AM
I think it's more important to have a better record than the Cavs (or whoever finishes first in the East). I don't think HC will be the deciding factor between us or the Dubs.

Explain.

pookenstein
12-14-2015, 05:08 AM
I think both the Spurs and the Warriors are capable of winning on the others court. We've beaten them on their court quite regularly. Season 13/14 and 14/15 we won three of four games @GSW.

Going into that series healthy and clicking on all cylinders >>>> gunning for the #1 seed imo.

Trueblood
12-14-2015, 07:53 AM
I like the Spurs changes no matter the seeding, but people claiming GS is a regular season team that can't win in the playoffs seem to forget that they won the championship last year. Say what you want about their easy road and injuries to other teams helping them, but that's the game and they still won it. Respect your opponent

exstatic
12-14-2015, 08:19 AM

Four times:
January 25
March 19
April 7
April 10

cjw
12-14-2015, 11:09 AM
I mean he got 5/$85 million, which is "only" $5 million less total ($1 million per year) than the max he could've gotten IIRC. Even after his impressive season last year, it's not like everyone was 100% confident he was some superstar caliber player going forward. It just looks bad now because he's looked even better this year and is playing like a legitimate top 10-15 player in the league so far.

Yeah. "Only" $5 million is a 5-6% difference, but he was probably happy with the massive pay bump considering he was getting paid 2nd round money before.

And to think the Thunder and Harden were about that far apart on their contract. They ended up paying that, and then some, to Kanter because the Blazers forced their hand.

And (given the ownership group) to think oil prices were twice as high when the Harden debacle happened as when Kanter was resigned...

YGWHI
12-14-2015, 11:44 AM
Warriors are like the 07 Suns. Total reg season team. They will blow in the playoffs against good teams.

I wouldn't say the Warriors have a very strong defense but they're good enough to recognize individual matchups and rely on their overall defensive philosophy. On the Suns, except Raja and Marion, no one couldn't play D...

Embedded
12-14-2015, 04:01 PM
I think coasting is important. Lately the Worriers were playing every game like it was Game 7. I liked the streak, let them focus on it. We're still experimenting, using the 82-game season like a laboratory.

Uriel
12-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Even better. If they beat them all 3 times, they would tie them in the standings, but still own the tiebreaker by virtue of winning the season series.

exstatic
12-14-2015, 09:30 PM
Even better. If they beat them all 3 times, they would tie them in the standings, but still own the tiebreaker by virtue of winning the season series.

Four times:
January 25
March 19
April 7
April 10

spursistan
12-24-2015, 12:44 PM
there few signs of Curry cooling off a bit.. 8-28 from 3PT in the last 4 games..if we stay within reach from the Dubs (2-3 games) deep in March, we might see Pop making push for the Top seed especially if it looks like the Clippers are going to stay this discombobulated or worse....Tomorrow game vs Cavs is good litmus test of where the Warriors stand after that historic run..

Spurtacular
01-16-2016, 11:19 PM
The inevitable GS slide has started. Spurs going to be taking the one seed. We'll be having a Warriors-Thunder second round match-up. Spurs will likely get a rematch with the Clippers in the second round.

Spurtacular
01-16-2016, 11:30 PM
spurs aren't getting the 1 seed

:lmao

:lmao

Nice call, ChumpDumper

cjw
01-16-2016, 11:48 PM
The inevitable GS slide has started. Spurs going to be taking the one seed. We'll be having a Warriors-Thunder second round match-up. Spurs will likely get a rematch with the Clippers in the second round.

Be careful what you wish for, especially if they get useful pieces to fill out bench after they screwed it up again this summer. Paul-JJ-Blake-DJ is a matchup nightmare.

Spurtacular
01-16-2016, 11:51 PM
Be careful what you wish for, especially if they get useful pieces to fill out bench after they screwed it up again this summer. Paul-JJ-Blake-DJ is a matchup nightmare.

Perhaps. But what if the Clips choke in the first round and we get Houston or Dallas? Meanwhile, it'd be pretty much a given that OKC and GS face off.

Spurs 4 The Win
01-17-2016, 12:08 AM

I want revenge, fuck the clippers, we will have homecourt and we are much improved, they are worse than last year

Robz4000
01-17-2016, 12:11 AM
If there's any chance the Spurs can get the first seed, they need to take it regardless of who they get in the second round.

Spurtacular
01-17-2016, 12:24 AM
If there's any chance the Spurs can get the first seed, they need to take it regardless of who they get in the second round.

More than a chance. They're odds on favorites, imo. GS is very beatable. Meanwhile, Spurs have hit another level.

Uriel
01-17-2016, 12:27 AM
Would be a dream come true if we get that 1 seed and watch GS and OKC beat each other up in the 2nd round while all have to take care of are the fucking Clippers :lol

Mouth is Bleeding
01-17-2016, 12:51 AM
There is no reason we shouldn't go for the number one seed.

We have better point differential than GS which is predictive and we're deep enough that we can still rest players more and play fewer minutes during the race than the warriors.

Of course we should not risk anybody's health and Pop won't do that but we're in better position to not do that than GS while still winning at an historic rate.

Warriors heavy minutes will take its toll at various points during the season. They're still not sacrificing individual glory, numbers and minutes like the Spurs do and their stars keep playing when games are virtually over.

LarryDavid
01-17-2016, 01:22 AM
The last 5 games of the season will be all that matter.

Kawhitstorm
01-17-2016, 01:30 AM
There is no reason we shouldn't go for the number one seed.

We have better point differential than GS which is predictive and we're deep enough that we can still rest players more and play fewer minutes during the race than the warriors.

Of course we should not risk anybody's health and Pop won't do that but we're in better position to not do that than GS while still winning at an historic rate.

Warriors heavy minutes will take its toll at various points during the season. They're still not sacrificing individual glory, numbers and minutes like the Spurs do and their stars keep playing when games are virtually over.

The Worriers are falling apart like the 2013-14 Pacers after burning themselves out chasing the #1 seed with Barnes playing the Hibbert role & Draymond being Lance. Just need Klay to fuck Curry's wife. :lol

Spurtacular
01-17-2016, 06:18 AM
Spurs will be taking the one seed on or before January 25th, tbh.

Spurtacular
01-17-2016, 10:28 PM
Warriors gonna lose @ Cle tomorrow, tbh.

popdagreat
01-17-2016, 10:37 PM
Warriors gonna lose @ Cle tomorrow, tbh.

and loose @ chic (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19521)ago :frying:

Mr. Body
01-17-2016, 10:48 PM
Well, we're a different team at home. So, yeah, hopefully we push a little to get it. Contra Pop, playoff positioning matters.

01-18-2016, 01:18 AM
The Worriers are falling apart like the 2013-14 Pacers after burning themselves out chasing the #1 seed with Barnes playing the Hibbert role & Draymond being Lance. Just need Klay to fuck Curry's wife. :lol
They're 36-3(or 4?) and coming off a 67 win season where they also won the championship and only lost 3 games in the playoffs. I think it's a little premature to say they've fallen so far.

Kawhitstorm
01-18-2016, 01:24 AM
They're 36-3(or 4?) and coming off a 67 win season where they also won the championship and only lost 3 games in the playoffs. I think it's a little premature to say they've fallen so far.

They looked dejected during their post-game interview & Draymond has been whining about needing a rest but the troops not holding their end of the bargain thus having to suit up.:lol

It's not their record but the way they are playing that matters; teams can beat up on the Lakers even while they're coasting.

Spurs 4 The Win
01-18-2016, 02:35 AM

They lost 5 games in the playoffs, and they have 4 losses, get your facts straight

01-18-2016, 04:01 PM
They looked dejected during their post-game interview & Draymond has been whining about needing a rest but the troops not holding their end of the bargain thus having to suit up.:lol

It's not their record but the way they are playing that matters; teams can beat up on the Lakers even while they're coasting.
Well obviously they were going to regress to the mean, but they have proven they can beat top teams. While the Spurs have the higher point diff we've also lost to the likes of the Bulls, Toronto, OKC, etc I'm not saying they're a better team than us, I'm pretty confident we could beat them in a series, especially with home court, but it they're not some scrub team all of sudden :lol

01-18-2016, 04:03 PM
They lost 5 games in the playoffs, and they have 4 losses, get your facts straight
:wow only 9 losses in their last 62 games(2015-2016 regular season + 2015 playoffs)

you sure showed me

Kawhitstorm
01-18-2016, 04:04 PM
Well obviously they were going to regress to the mean, but they have proven they can beat top teams. While the Spurs have the higher point diff we've also lost to the likes of the Bulls, Toronto, OKC, etc I'm not saying they're a better team than us, I'm pretty confident we could beat them in a series, especially with home court, but it they're not some scrub team all of sudden :lol

2013-14 Pacers happened :lol but they're more like the 2005-06 Pistons who flamed out in the postseason & almost lost to a scrubby Cavs team before succumbing to the Heat after chasing the #1 seed fearing the Spurs.:toast

ajh18
01-18-2016, 04:13 PM
They actually remind me more of the 2009 Celtics. Defending champs, huge win streaks... we'll see if they can leave a better legacy than that team.

Spurtacular
01-18-2016, 04:34 PM
They actually remind me more of the 2009 Celtics. Defending champs, huge win streaks... we'll see if they can leave a better legacy than that team.

09 C's were dominant before KG went down with the knee injury.

Hoops Czar
01-18-2016, 04:39 PM
2013-14 Pacers happened :lol but they're more like the 2005-06 Pistons who flamed out in the postseason & almost lost to a scrubby Cavs team before succumbing to the Heat after chasing the #1 seed fearing the Spurs.:toast

Spurs were p'wned in both regular season matchups vs the Pistons that year including a 15 point drubbing in San Antonio where Spurs had won something like 71 out of their last 74 home games. I don't think they feared anyone.

Old School 44
01-18-2016, 04:45 PM
Off topic, but is there a chance the Spurs/Warriors game on Monday will move to "regular" national TV, meaning ABC/ESPN or TNT versus NBA TV? I'm in SA, so it doesn't really affect my viewing, but just curious if they ever moved a marquee game like this before.

Spurtacular
01-18-2016, 04:47 PM
Off topic, but is there a chance the Spurs/Warriors game on Monday will move to "regular" national TV, meaning ABC/ESPN or TNT versus NBA TV? I'm in SA, so it doesn't really affect my viewing, but just curious if they ever moved a marquee game like this before.

I thought it was weird that it wasn't on national TV in the first place. Maybe, it's in FS's contract that not all conference match-ups between two teams can be on national TV...

Hoops Czar
01-18-2016, 04:50 PM

It's a Monday night. ESPN and TNT don't televise games on Monday night's.

houston spurs fan
01-18-2016, 04:51 PM
Don't think so because of the day of the week it's on. I'm in H-town so it's all LP and Nbatv and they have been hyping up that they have the game for like 3 weeks now.

$pursDynasty
01-18-2016, 05:00 PM
A flaw in schedule make up how can you have a game between the last two champs be on anything other than a TNT night, Sunday during the day after NFL or the new Saturday night thing.

D-rob fan
01-18-2016, 05:08 PM

The only instance I recall this happening for was this season when Golden State was playing their 15th game (on a Sunday, picked up by ESPN) and 16th game (on a Tuesday, picked up by TNT) to tie and break the record for best start to the season. I really wish they would move this from NBATV to one of those two networks. I have NBA League Pass on Uverse in Dallas and the only games I don't get to see are NBATV (included on a more expensive tv plan) and Mavericks/Spurs Games (Must have Fox Sports Southwest). I'm not paying a couple hundred dollars more per year to get 5-6 extra games.

D-rob fan
01-18-2016, 05:11 PM
I wish they would allow you to purchase single games that are shown on NBATV. Unfortunately, it counts as a national game and cannot be purchased.

Kawhitstorm
01-18-2016, 05:28 PM
Spurs were p'wned in both regular season matchups vs the Pistons that year including a 15 point drubbing in San Antonio where Spurs had won something like 71 out of their last 74 home games. I don't think they feared anyone.

Bruh, they WANTED the home-court by all means necessary b/c of what happened in Gm 7 of the '05 Finals. Last I checked OKC drubbed the Spurs in 2014 & got blown the fuck out in ALL 3 games at San Antonio in the playoffs.:lol Not to mention the Pistons flamed out in the PLAYOFFS when they ran out of gas.

Obstructed_View
01-18-2016, 05:36 PM

Then the comparison to the Pacers is way off, because they went from 18-2 in the first month of the season to 12-18 in the last month. That's a big projection for a team that lost two out of three after the start they had.

Old School 44
01-18-2016, 05:41 PM
The only instance I recall this happening for was this season when Golden State was playing their 15th game (on a Sunday, picked up by ESPN) and 16th game (on a Tuesday, picked up by TNT) to tie and break the record for best start to the season. I really wish they would move this from NBATV to one of those two networks. I have NBA League Pass on Uverse in Dallas and the only games I don't get to see are NBATV (included on a more expensive tv plan) and Mavericks/Spurs Games (Must have Fox Sports Southwest). I'm not paying a couple hundred dollars more per year to get 5-6 extra games.

Don't know this for sure, but I think you may be able to purchase NBA TV or NBA League Pass games a la carte.

SpursIndonesia
01-18-2016, 05:42 PM
I thought it was weird that it wasn't on national TV in the first place. Maybe, it's in FS's contract that not all conference match-ups between two teams can be on national TV...

Great for me, that would most likely be a televised game for NBA TV Asia on cable that i got at home. No shitty streaming quality that looks so small on laptop screen or fudgy on LED TV screen, but rather FHD quality on 50" screen, nice. :D

NameLess Scrub
01-18-2016, 05:52 PM

I can't watch NBA TV games neither.

So... archived it is.

On the topic, we would all be miserable if the Spurs end up with the #1 seed just to be eliminated by the whine & flop crew again.
They need to make sure they get revenge this time.

Still half a season, but it's great this team has a real chance at HCA without burning out anybody.

dunkman
01-18-2016, 05:57 PM
Oops, wrong thread :D

Gutter92
01-18-2016, 06:00 PM
Duncan is the best by far, he's a top 5 all time player. Malone was good, no doubts about that, but he depended on Stock. When MJ or Pippen disrupted their offense, Malone wasn't great creating. For those that didn't saw Duncan in his first 7-8 seasons, he was by far the best Spur in 2013, when Manu and Pop throw away the 'ship in the dying seconds of the finals game 7.

It would make sense to have Dirk before Malone, since Dirk was able to get the job done. Kevin Garnett was never better then Duncan, not even during his MVP season. The 'Wolfs tended to pad his stats in blowouts and his game was less suited for playoffs.

Great contribution to the topic at hand.

dunkman
01-18-2016, 06:04 PM
Great contribution to the topic at hand.

Fixed! :tu

BillMc
01-18-2016, 08:08 PM
In pursuit of that 1 seed, I'm forced to root for the Cavs tonight. Not an easy thing to do, tbh.

ace3g
01-18-2016, 08:47 PM
Cavs aren't cooperating right now...

jhfenton
01-18-2016, 08:56 PM
In pursuit of that 1 seed, I'm forced to root for the Cavs tonight. Not an easy thing to do, tbh.

Maybe you should have pulled for Golden State.

Darius Bieber
01-18-2016, 08:58 PM
Lol Spurs... Struggled against the Cavs at home while the Warriors are up 30 at half IN CLEVELAND. No way the Spurs can handle the Warriors.

Agloco
01-18-2016, 09:00 PM
Abberant performances by both teams. Pretty lame thh.

spurs10
01-18-2016, 09:03 PM
It's really a shame that the WCF is going to be more important than the Finals. If Cavs lose by less than 25 it's a big success.

Horry Hipcheck
01-18-2016, 09:04 PM
So much for help from the Cavs :lol

We all better hope GS doesn't lose the game before they host the Spurs

NASpurs
01-18-2016, 09:05 PM
Lol Spurs... Struggled against the Cavs at home while the Warriors are up 30 at half IN CLEVELAND. No way the Spurs can handle the Warriors.

Spurs struggled against the Cavs? What game were you watching? After the Spurs came out like ass in the first quarter and the Cavs started missing, it was smooth sailing.

BillMc
01-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Maybe you should have pulled for Golden State.

Maybe. :lol

SpurPadre
01-18-2016, 09:07 PM

Styles make fights. Cavs match up better with us and we might match up better with the Dubs. We'll see what happens next Monday.

Nathan89
01-18-2016, 09:09 PM

Kinda like GSW vs the Cavs at home.

You act like you never seen an NBA game. Blowouts happen. The Pistons blew the Spurs out in games 3 and 4 of the 05 Finals but that didn't stop us from winning the series.

BatManu20
01-18-2016, 09:13 PM
Looks like the reports of Golden State's death were greatly exaggerated.

Spurtacular
01-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Hmmm. I ignored the bug in my mind that was telling me Cleveland would not show up for the game vs. GS. And I dunno if Noah-less Chicago will be up to the task.

01-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Solid take tbh

01-18-2016, 09:26 PM
Hmmm. I ignored the bug in my mind that was telling me Cleveland would not show up for the game vs. GS. And I dunno if Noah-less Chicago will be up to the task.
It's not a meter of them showing up, they're just not the better team

spurs10
01-18-2016, 09:28 PM
How 'bout those Cavs! They go this!

Spurtacular
01-18-2016, 09:28 PM
It's not a meter of them showing up, they're just not the better team

Well, nobody was claiming the Cavs were better than the Warriors.

spursistan
01-18-2016, 09:35 PM
at least the Dubs blew their load in this game not against us :lol

BillMc
01-18-2016, 09:42 PM
How 'bout those Cavs! They go this!
:lol

Budkin
01-18-2016, 09:50 PM
at least the Dubs blew their load in this game not against us :lol

I have a feeling they want to give us the same treatment. All the talk has been that the Spurs are playing better. If we have a slow start Monday it's going to be over fast.

SAGirl
01-18-2016, 09:57 PM

I have a feeling they want to give us the same treatment. All the talk has been that the Spurs are playing better. If we have a slow start Monday it's going to be over fast.

I think our team needs a little adversity b4 the playoffs. They will face it with GSW next week.

Kawhitstorm
01-18-2016, 10:14 PM
Solid take tbh

The Cavs got blown the fuck out by the Blazers.:wakeup

Kawhitstorm
01-18-2016, 10:17 PM

Noah airballing layups & Rose not playing was the reason they lost at the Oracle.:lol Bulls LOVE playing against Western conference contenders at home & they just beat the Pistons on the road.:toast

Can't trust a team like the Cavs that got run out of the gym by the lowly Blazers.:nope

Hoops Czar
01-18-2016, 10:49 PM
The Cavs got blown the fuck out by the Blazers.:wakeup

With Matthew Lollavedova running the point.

GSH
01-18-2016, 11:12 PM
We've all seen games when the Spurs could do no wrong. All the shots were falling, and the game just came to them. It's hard to follow a performance like that. I only remember one time in the last probably 12 years that they didn't have a HUGE letdown the next game. They lose most of those games, and you find yourself wondering how they can look so unstoppable one game, and then look so bad the next.

I know I always cringe when the Spurs have a night where the game seems almost too easy, because there's such a good chance that the next game is a loss. (I think guys come out and miss a few shots and start pressing, because they still feel like everything should be going in.) Tonight was one of those nights for the Warriors. They also knew that if they lost, they would be down to a 1 game lead on the Spurs. The real test, IMO, is what the Warriors do on Thursday night against the Bulls. Are they mere mortals, or can they kick it up into this gear and stay there a while? It's good that they are playing the Bulls, because they are good enough to at least test them, if they have a letdown. Chicago doesn't have to win, but if the Warriors blow them out, right on the heels of this game? You can probably forget all the talk about them not being as good as their record.

Kawhitstorm
01-18-2016, 11:27 PM

With Allen Crabbe starting for Lillard (two can play the game):lol

SAGirl
01-18-2016, 11:31 PM
Chicago doesn't have to win, but if the Warriors blow them out, right on the heels of this game? You can probably forget all the talk about them not being as good as their record.
How have the Bulls even been playing lately? Do they have injuries? They have had a lot of inconsistencies in lineups and many defensive issues. I think GSW wins against the Bulls and they are coming into their game with SA with a lot of confidence. Meanwhile we have two easy cupcake teams coming up. Pop probably resting some guys, letting Tony get that buttcheek healed up. The GSW will be a toss-up. For sure we need our best defensive game against them, and I hope we don't have one of our famous slow starts. I think we can win it, but that is probably my subjective opinion. Also, if we keep the game close, they can close that out.

We'll see. My money is on KLAW coming up with a few highlight worthy defensive plays though, and probably a few Simmons throwdowns as well.

GSH
01-18-2016, 11:40 PM
How have the Bulls even been playing lately? Do they have injuries? They have had a lot of inconsistencies in lineups and many defensive issues. I think GSW wins against the Bulls and they are coming into their game with SA with a lot of confidence. Meanwhile we have two easy cupcake teams coming up. Pop probably resting some guys, letting Tony get that buttcheek healed up. The GSW will be a toss-up. For sure we need our best defensive game against them, and I hope we don't have one of our famous slow starts. I think we can win it, but that is probably my subjective opinion. Also, if we keep the game close, they can close that out.

We'll see. My money is on KLAW coming up with a few highlight worthy defensive plays though, and probably a few Simmons throwdowns as well.

They just lost Noah, which isn't going to help. They've been in a bit of a slump, something like 6-4. It's really less about them, IMO, than about how the Dubs follow up after a night when they hit practically everything they looked at.

ceperez
01-19-2016, 05:38 AM

Best to lose now and make fixes rather than lose later and not be able to make adjustments.

ceperez
01-19-2016, 05:42 AM
They just lost Noah, which isn't going to help. They've been in a bit of a slump, something like 6-4. It's really less about them, IMO, than about how the Dubs follow up after a night when they hit practically everything they looked at.

Cavs are supposedly a good defensive team, unfortunately they were taken apart completely.

Bulls are also a good defensive team, let's see then how they hold up against the Dubs.

I am kind of looking for evidence that a good defensive team can stall their offense.

Fireball
01-19-2016, 05:43 AM
The Dubs Cavs game just showed that GS just played as good as they needed to in the NBA Finals ... they would have beaten Cleveland with Love and Irving in the lineup as well

TrainOfThought5
01-19-2016, 05:47 AM

Shouldve went with Matthew Delolvedova

Spurtacular
03-06-2016, 06:09 PM
Spurs within 2 again; 3 back in the loss column, though.

Like I've said, the key to beating the Warriors is taking away the open threes. They can't win on a steady diet of twos. It took the f'ing Lakers to show that.

SpursforSix
03-06-2016, 06:11 PM
Spurs within 2 again; 3 back in the loss column, though.

Like I've said, the key to beating the Warriors is taking away the open threes. They can't win on a steady diet of twos. It took the f'ing Lakers to show that.

The Lakers were wearing Kobe socks.

Spurtacular
03-06-2016, 06:53 PM
The Lakers were wearing Kobe socks.

I forgot to look. I'll have to see if I watch the replay.

gambit1990
03-06-2016, 07:03 PM
it would be awesome if the spurs end up with the #1 seed. especially after the media's been gushing about the warriors this the whole season.

DMC
03-06-2016, 09:11 PM
it would be awesome if the spurs end up with the #1 seed. especially after the media's been gushing about the warriors this the whole season.
It would mean exactly on game is played in SA instead of GS. If we lose it, then it makes absolutely no difference.

cjw
03-06-2016, 09:18 PM
It would mean exactly on game is played in SA instead of GS. If we lose it, then it makes absolutely no difference.

I think more importantly it gives you room for error at home. Without HCA, you drop one at home and you have to win 2 of 4 on the road (a Herculean task). With HCA, you drop one at home - albeit with four chances instead of three - and you just need 1 of 3 on the road. Against a juggernaut at home like GS, it matters.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-06-2016, 09:24 PM
I think more importantly it gives you room for error at home. Without HCA, you drop one at home and you have to win 2 of 4 on the road (a Herculean task). With HCA, you drop one at home - albeit with four chances instead of three - and you just need 1 of 3 on the road. Against a juggernaut at home like GS, it matters.
Didn't we win 2 of 3 in Oracle last time around?

PhoenixSpursFan
03-06-2016, 09:24 PM
47000 posts and thats your take on hca.... Wtf

cjw
03-06-2016, 09:28 PM

Yes, but Spurs did blow one of their first two home games. As soon as Spurs took one in GS as team with HCA, it changed the series. 2 of 3 at home in games 5-7 in a 2-2 series.

And you'd be crazy to think this GS team isn't leaps and bounds above the one the Spurs beat. Don't forget Curry had a bum ankle then too. No Draymond and no Iggy either.

Agloco
03-06-2016, 09:28 PM

They're just a slight bit better this time around, don't you think?

UNT Eagles 2016
03-06-2016, 09:32 PM
Yes, but Spurs did blow one of their first two home games. As soon as Spurs took one in GS as team with HCA, it changed the series. 2 of 3 at home in games 5-7 in a 2-2 series.

And you'd be crazy to think this GS team isn't leaps and bounds above the one the Spurs beat. Don't forget Curry had a bum ankle then too. No Draymond and no Iggy either.
No Draymond? The dude played over 30mpg in that series... he was their 6th man as GSW started a big lineup back then with Ezeli and Bogut starting together.

Only major difference was they have Iguodala now instead of David Lee, and Livingston instead of Jarrett Jack.

gospursgojas
03-06-2016, 09:33 PM

They had shrek at that time, he just never played. Rookie.

They're just a slight bit better this time around, don't you think?

No, way better coached- that GS team was coached by Mark Jackson with nothing but hyperbole and cliché sayings.

Jarred Jack was prob their 2nd best player that series.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-06-2016, 09:34 PM

He played 40 minutes in game 1... lol.

also, Kerr is overrated as a coach.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-06-2016, 09:36 PM
Sincerely... the Dublets are the most overrated team in the history of professional sports. A bunch of soft volume shooters with big mouths and a lot of regular season luck. We'll squash them and make them cry in the WCF, no doubt.

cjw
03-06-2016, 09:50 PM
No Draymond? The dude played over 30mpg in that series... he was their 6th man as GSW started a big lineup back then with Ezeli and Bogut starting together.

Only major difference was they have Iguodala now instead of David Lee, and Livingston instead of Jarrett Jack.

I meant not the current incarnation of Draymond. The one being held back by Mark Jackson. He probably would have played more that series if Lee didn't come back for 12 minutes a game by the final two.

And that Jarrett Jack performance makes some people from this board want to trade Patty for him. Livingston and Iggy, plus improvement by Steph, are enormous.

Agloco
03-06-2016, 09:50 PM

No, way better coached.....

Right, as I said.....they're better. You need HCA if you can get it from them.

Agloco
03-06-2016, 09:51 PM
Sincerely... the Dublets are the most overrated team in the history of professional sports.....

This begs the question: is this the worst the NBA has ever been as a whole?

gambit1990
03-06-2016, 10:09 PM
:lol do you know how seeding works in the nba playoffs?
http://www.interbasket.net/news/wp-content/uploads/basic-blank-NBA-playoff-bracket.jpg
if spurs get the #1 seed it means more than just having an extra home against golden state. it means golden state and okc would have to duke it out before playing us.

Ditty
03-06-2016, 10:16 PM
A very long shot but the Spurs can actually say they control their own destiny to the first seed if they win out.

Amuseddaysleeper
03-06-2016, 10:17 PM
Spurs won't beat GS more than once during the regular season if that. Spurs don't have the firepower to keep up with GS.

Spurtacular
03-06-2016, 10:19 PM
A very long shot but the Spurs can actually say they control their own destiny to the first seed if they win out.

Insanely long. Dubs have been almost unbeatable when at full strength (in the regular season). But maybe, they're going to start slumping. Today, for the first time all year, Curry just looked like sh**. He's the motor that makes them run.

99 Problems
03-06-2016, 10:28 PM
Time to prepare for 'Operation Golden Fake Warriors'.

FromWayDowntown
03-06-2016, 10:35 PM
Since game 25 for each team -- the point at which GST lost for the first time -- the Spurs have the better record:

GST started 24-0 and is now 55-6 (31-6 since Game 25)

SA started 19-5 and is now 53-9 (34-4 since Game 25)

Of course, they're 1-0 (and the Spurs are 0-1) where it counts the most.

gospursgojas
03-06-2016, 10:46 PM
He played 40 minutes in game 1... lol.

also, Kerr is overrated as a coach.

I agree on Kerr, but he at least created some semblance of an offense system. Mark pretty much just brought his "hand down man down, momma there goes that man, etc" stupid TV broadcast sayings to the huddle and called it coaching.

spursistan
03-06-2016, 11:06 PM
The Warriors have only 17th best Net rating in the NBA post-All Star break despite going 7-2 in that span...they have been squeaking out Ws relying on Curry heroics..Obviously the Blazers mega blowout inflates it, this still a pretty mediocre stretch from a team on +70 win pace..That's why it would be foolish for Pop wave the white flag this early on chasing them..Aside from Tony, almost all our key players got a an occasional rest or just playing low minutes anyway..

https://i.imgur.com/HyThKEs.jpg

Spurtacular
03-06-2016, 11:14 PM
The Warriors have only 17th best Net rating in the NBA post-All Star break despite going 7-2 in that span...they have been squeaking out Ws relying on Curry heroics..Obviously the Blazers mega blowout inflates it, this still a pretty mediocre stretch from a team on +70 win pace..That's why it would be foolish for Pop wave the white flag this early on chasing them..Aside from Tony, almost all our key players got a an occasional rest or just playing low minutes anyway..

106.9 Def rating is not good, tbh.

All Mighty Janitor
03-06-2016, 11:26 PM

:wow Woah. Good post. I haven't been following their games super close, but I know they have had above average competition over that span and have had some 3 point struggles (which is obviously their bread and butter). Have they had other notable problems over that span?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-06-2016, 11:28 PM
Keep in mind the Spurs only have 4 more games against sub-.500 teams (and only 1 at home). Warriors have 11, and 8 of those are at home.

Spurtacular
03-07-2016, 12:22 AM
Just spitballing here: Spurs are on a 8 game win streak. What if they were to extend it to 20 and counting while the GS losses creep up higher? All the sudden, the dialogue could change to the Spurs breaking the Bulls' record. :lol

Spurs 4 The Win
03-07-2016, 01:10 AM
Insanely long. Dubs have been almost unbeatable when at full strength (in the regular season). But maybe, they're going to start slumping. Today, for the first time all year, Curry just looked like sh**. He's the motor that makes them run.

Open your eyes, they have been slumping since the all star break, they are very beatable and have won several tightly contested games

Spurtacular
03-07-2016, 01:13 AM
Open your eyes, they have been slumping since the all star break, they are very beatable and have won several tightly contested games

They lucked out vs. OKC; but typically at full strength, they're still manhandling most teams.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-07-2016, 01:13 AM
Just spitballing here: Spurs are on a 8 game win streak. What if they were to extend it to 20 and counting while the GS losses creep up higher? All the sudden, the dialogue could change to the Spurs breaking the Bulls' record. :lol

I have thought of that, would be funny, but the odds are super long with the schedule we have. If we get through Golden State still on a win streak, then maybe we have a shot.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-07-2016, 01:14 AM
They lucked out vs. OKC; but typically at full strength, they're still manhandling most teams.

They got bodied by the Heat and snuck out a W. They got crushed by Portland and LA. They got lucky against Atlanta in OT. And squeaked by the Clippers by 3. And the OKC game wasnt convincing at Oracle until they pulled away late. Magic even kept it close for a large portion of the game.

Spurtacular
03-07-2016, 01:15 AM
They got bodied by the Heat and snuck out a W. They got crushed by Portland and LA. They got lucky against Atlanta in OT. And squeaked by the Clippers by 3. And the OKC game wasnt convincing at Oracle until they pulled away late.

Good points. We'll see if the trend continues.

Spurs 4 The Win
03-07-2016, 01:16 AM
Good points. We'll see if the trend continues.

I think it will, unless Green snaps out of his slump. Their percentages are down across the board and it all starts with him imo.

SpursIndonesia
03-07-2016, 01:19 AM

THIS ! The help came from a very unimaginative source, but we'll take it thank you, and the rest is just upon them selves now.

tmtcsc
03-07-2016, 02:41 AM
This begs the question: is this the worst the NBA has ever been as a whole?

I cant remember it being worse. I'm glad the Spurs are kicking ass in the W column but the opposition has been awful. No fault of the Spurs mind you, they come to play, but outside of 4 or 5 teams, the league has been terrible.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-07-2016, 02:56 AM
>Win out
>March 7th

lol... haha.

Ditty
03-07-2016, 04:02 AM
>Win out
>March 7th

lol... haha.

"Very long shot" "Actually" :lol

will_spurs
03-07-2016, 04:25 AM
The Warriors have only 17th best Net rating in the NBA post-All Star break despite going 7-2 in that span...

Good job finding that stat :tu

UNT Eagles 2016
03-07-2016, 06:09 AM
Good job finding that stat :tu
but look at their competition though.

will_spurs
03-07-2016, 06:22 AM
but look at their competition though.

You mean the Lakers? ;)

Seriously though, the Spurs Net Rating is stable before and after the ASB, whereas the Warriors Net Rtg crashed from +12 to 0. That can't only be due to strength of schedule.

TheDoctor
03-07-2016, 08:42 AM
I think it will, unless Green snaps out of his slump. Their percentages are down across the board and it all starts with him imo.

Maybe Raymond is under stress. Chasing history and the attention the media is putting on them is taking its toll. We all know how he crumbles under pressure.

UNT Eagles 2016
03-07-2016, 04:45 PM
You mean the Lakers? ;)

Seriously though, the Spurs Net Rating is stable before and after the ASB, whereas the Warriors Net Rtg crashed from +12 to 0. That can't only be due to strength of schedule.
They beat all the hard teams and lose to the shitass Lakers.