PDA

View Full Version : How in the hell does Kawhi have less FTAs than Mario Chalmers?

Kawhitstorm
12-14-2015, 02:27 AM
:lol

testies
12-14-2015, 02:28 AM
bad footwork and offensive instincts

gambit1990
12-14-2015, 02:35 AM
wow if true. his FTA would be higher if he bitched more. sucks he gets punished for not being a diva.

he's gone from not complaining at all about not getting calls (from about year 1 to year 3) to being somewhat more vocal this year to the refs. it's unfortunate that bitching will get you more calls than hard work.

Kawhitstorm
12-14-2015, 02:44 AM
wow if true. his FTA would be higher if he bitched more. sucks he gets punished for not being a diva.

he's gone from not complaining at all about not getting calls (from about year 1 to year 3) to being somewhat more vocal this year to the refs. it's unfortunate that bitching will get you more calls than hard work.

If he got as many FTAs as Jimmy Butler & Paul George he would be averaging close to 25 PPG.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-14-2015, 02:46 AM
He only attacks the rim in transition, otherwise he takes the midrange J or the three. If he can improve his dribbling more and attack the rim, drawing more fouls he'll be a beast offensively.

SAGirl
12-14-2015, 02:53 AM
If Simmons played as many minutes, he'd probably rack more bc he goes to the rim aggressive literally every time he can. He has no midrange game to speak of. Kawhi settles for jumpers too often and bails out his defenders.

Kool Bob Love
12-14-2015, 02:59 AM
Rio doesn't miss them when they count.

TheMulletMan3000
12-14-2015, 04:58 AM
If Simmons played as many minutes, he'd probably rack more bc he goes to the rim aggressive literally every time he can. He has no midrange game to speak of. Kawhi settles for jumpers too often and bails out his defenders.
Spurs are just being smart about it. If you look to draw fouls (contact) and dunk all the time you will likely get very tired at the midway through season and be prone to injuries (OKC last season for example). I remember when people used to rip on Blake Griffin because he stopped dunking and started taking jumpers and he said he couldn't walk after 30 games because he was so tired let alone play basketball. Simmons must show what he can do on a pro level with limited minutes. What Leonard does for now is enough because:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tsl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=team_totals&lg_id=NBA&year_min=1980&year_max=&franch_id=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=srs

Diego20
12-14-2015, 05:50 AM
Rio doesn't miss them when they count.

in b4 TGY agrees with you.

TheDoctor
12-14-2015, 08:49 AM
Kawhi does not drive as much. He needs to develop a good pump fake tbh. Last game he caught Korver off-guard, just need to keep doing it consistently.

ceperez
12-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Spurs are just being smart about it. If you look to draw fouls (contact) and dunk all the time you will likely get very tired at the midway through season and be prone to injuries (OKC last season for example). I remember when people used to rip on Blake Griffin because he stopped dunking and started taking jumpers and he said he couldn't walk after 30 games because he was so tired let alone play basketball. Simmons must show what he can do on a pro level with limited minutes. What Leonard does for now is enough because:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tsl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&type=team_totals&lg_id=NBA&year_min=1980&year_max=&franch_id=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=srs

Good point. Leonard needs to work at both ends of the floor. So if he takes it easy in offense by taking jump shots and 3 point shots, then that gives him more energy at the other end.

NameLess Scrub
12-14-2015, 10:57 AM
Does anybody dislike Chalmers?

I kind of do? Wonder if it's because of his past with the Heat... or if he's just douchy..

SpursFan86
12-14-2015, 11:04 AM
Porker constantly bitching to the refs makes them not want to give calls to our other players :bang

In all seriousness, I really would like to see Kawhi drive more instead of settling for jumpers. He's a great mid-range shooter, but sometimes he settles more often than I'd like.

YGWHI
12-14-2015, 11:11 AM

Agree. That's Spurs' way, they don't want their players to look to get contact and calls, if that means forcing the things.

Even Parker, who was one of the best guards in the league at driving to the rim, in his highest scoring seasons, 2009 and 2013, didn't draw as many foulds as he could have playing for other team, 5 FTA (Kawhi 3.7 FTA this season)

It's not a problem of Kawhi's dribbling or whatever, he has improved that area of his game but he won't become that type of player in the Spurs offensive system.

YGWHI
12-14-2015, 11:24 AM
in b4 TGY agrees with you.

:lol :tu

cjw
12-14-2015, 11:25 AM
He only attacks the rim in transition, otherwise he takes the midrange J or the three. If he can improve his dribbling more and attack the rim, drawing more fouls he'll be a beast offensively.

If he had the handles to take it to the rim at will, the offense would rise to a completely different level and the NBA (excluding GS, we'll see what happens there) would be f'd.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Spurs don't start playing physically until late Feb. There is no need for Kawhi to get hack 5-10 times a game because the Spurs ball movement gets most player open looks. Plus that shit takes it toll on the body. Save it for the end of the year and playoffs.

Simmons would get more fouls called b/c of his SPEED and Athleticism. When a guy is faster than you, you tend to tug and arm bar to prevent him for getting past you.

Do you really want Kawhi to have a lot of episodes like the 1st Portland game and that dunk on Plumlee.

DAF86
12-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Because he doesn't attack the rim as much as he should, tbh.

gambit1990
12-14-2015, 01:41 PM
Does anybody dislike Chalmers?

I kind of do? Wonder if it's because of his past with the Heat... or if he's just douchy..
i've always hated him. just one of those players i can't stand.

SupremeGuy
12-14-2015, 02:13 PM
bad footwork and offensive instinctshttp://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=44531&dateline=1430379855

Kawhitstorm
12-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Spurs don't start playing physically until late Feb. There is no need for Kawhi to get hack 5-10 times a game because the Spurs ball movement gets most player open looks. Plus that shit takes it toll on the body. Save it for the end of the year and playoffs.

My point is that Mario Chalmers isn't what you call a slasher, a high usage player or someone who commends the respect of the refs (he's actually more of a spot up shooter) yet averages more FTAs than Kawhi.

SAGirl
12-14-2015, 02:37 PM
My point is that Mario Chalmers isn't what you call a slasher, a high usage player or someone who commends the respect of the refs (he's actually more of a spot up shooter) yet averages more FTAs than Kawhi.
I only can go by the games he's played against us, but he has the role to carry the Grizz bench's offensive load. That makes him very aggressive driving. He's been a different player than he was in Miami. I don't like him, but him drawing fouls is not a fiction. He has just been a whole lot more aggressive apparently by design.

GSH
12-14-2015, 04:16 PM
If he got as many FTAs as Jimmy Butler & Paul George he would be averaging close to 25 PPG.

If you had a second hole in your ass you would be a tuba.

And it's not a conspiracy theory when it's so obvious that the league is out to screw their best player. I think you're really onto something with this.

All Mighty Janitor
12-14-2015, 05:36 PM
The offence doesn't draw fouls at a high rate in general. The Spurs offence doesn't work if you force the issue all the time. You need an initial action to compromise the defense, but once that happens it become all about generating an open shot away from the D. Other teams try to squeeze in between a small space, but the Spurs try to open up that space with ball movement and player movement to generate the best looks possible whether that's a clear driving lane, wide open shot, or quick pass though open space for a quick lay-up. Individual players are also discouraged from trying to force the issue at the beginning of the shotclock so that those players who can force the issue wont eat up the possessions; they may be able to consistently generate good shots on their own, but it's predictable and thus easier to stop (unless we are talking about a Lebron on Curry type player).

With all that being said, Kawhi is not a great driver. He is a good driver, but great in the post and with mid-range, so he settle for what hes great at. He would get more fouls on other teams where had to force the issue but, due to being in this motion offence that doesn't put the ball in his hands, his free throws suffer. Also, there are other people on the team who can drive and create better than Kawhi so they should do it more.

Proxy
12-14-2015, 09:51 PM
Good question.... I think there maybe some hidden variables in basketball that we don't see by glancing over stat sheets. You'd think that raw numbers would tell the entire story. I think we're on to something big here.

pgardn
12-14-2015, 10:24 PM
Well shit.

We have a good second unit and are blowing teams out.

But what the hell, let's worry about trivia. KL is also hitting 3s and jumpers, so sad...

SAGirl
12-15-2015, 12:23 AM
Well shit.

We have a good second unit and are blowing teams out.

But what the hell, let's worry about trivia. KL is also hitting 3s and jumpers, so sad...
It is always something or someone here.
:wakeup

spursistan
12-15-2015, 12:35 AM
yea, i hope Kawhi start going to the rack more specially on nights where it looks like is shot isn't falling..Hasn't been noted much, but KL has improved his FT shooting by a staggering 7 pct from 80% to 87% this year..he is slowly getting to that "automatic zone"..

Uriel
12-15-2015, 12:42 AM
Because he doesn't play enough minutes to rack up FTAs, given all the 4th quarters he's sat out.

Also, because the Spurs' offense encourages passing and ball movement over isolation plays and attacking the rim.

TDfan2007
12-15-2015, 02:50 AM
1) Kawhi doesn't flop, Chalmers does

2) Kawhi doesn't drive to the hoop very often. Most of his offense comes from 3s, mid-range pullups, and post-ups (you can get away with murder down low in the nba)

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-15-2015, 10:58 AM

Did you see the way Chalmers played against the Spurs. He drove to the basket like 10-15 times. It seems like Memphis is asking him to be more aggressive going to the basket. Based off his performance against the Spurs, this is not surprising at all