PDA

View Full Version : After 25 games, Is Parker a top 20 NBA player ?

Brazil
12-15-2015, 09:33 AM
Tony is playing a pretty sound basketball right now... I haven't checked his stats since the beginning of the year but after last night game I was interested to see per 36 what his stat looked like and was quite amazed to see that Parker production is actually fucking solid... He could have a case of MIP, after being a bottom 20 last year you can argue for him being this year a top 20,30 whatever but improvement is quite astonishing.

I mentionned top 20 to be a bit provocative but let's call that player with solid above average production.

Now I'm aware, Spurs record and production is helping him to get some nice metrics in particular on defense as this team is historically good at D but there was a time when team was fine and TP struggled on those metrics.

The pros:

- 4th in FG%, 1st guard of the list
- 5th in TS% (Kawhi 6th)
- 11th in Offensive rating at 119 (best of his career) - Kawhi is 7th at 121 :wow
- 15th in Defensive rating :wow (Danny 10th, Tim 3rd, Kawhi 2th)... Parker is playing much better defense than recent years but his 15th rank is more the product of Spurs destroying opponent with Kawhi and Tim than his production but still :tu
- 6th Win Shares per 48 but also 15th Win Shares

The cons:

- lowest mpg and usage of his career
- his VROP and BPM are average compared to the league but his actual BPM is best of his career except 06-07 and 12-13
- Assist per game at 4,9 is quite low like last year even though he is number 2 in hockey assist :lol

to name some stats and lines... At the end I'm pretty sure you can find 20 names you would rather have (not considering potential just production after 25 games) but coming from one worst starter of the league to being top 20 of the league on key metrics would probably deserve some MIP consideration tbh fwiw

Brazil
12-15-2015, 09:35 AM
my RIP thread made wonders on his karma... let's hope this thread won't jinx him

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-15-2015, 09:43 AM
Good thread, so before it turns into a Porker thread, I'd also add that his midrange shooting percentages must be some of the best in the NBA. Haven't checked the numbers, just going with the eye test. His defensive rating is also very well deserved, albeit bumped up by the team defense, but he's been really really good and locked in more than ever at this point of the season. Perhaps him not having to penetrate in order to initiate the Spurs offense is saving him more energy for the defensive end, but he's been good, consistent and improving in this area as the season progresses.

He seems to have fully accepted the grizzled vet role and is not pushing the issue at all, but he's also been able to find his spots and be more aggressive when the team have needed, for example at the begining of the Hawks game. He's been as good as anyone could have realistically expected him to be. My only concern is that by playoff time the team might need him to go back to attacking the rim more often and I hope he'll be able to do it when it matters. At least 7/8 times per game. This would be a great weapon.

NameLess Scrub
12-15-2015, 09:45 AM
Can only hope he can take this resurgence into the playoffs.

AFMadison
12-15-2015, 09:46 AM
Yes Parker has played solid all year, and if you haven't seen any games this season you could simply tell how great Parker is playing by the complete meltdown in this forum. The player fan crew has no idea how to react.

GSH
12-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Tony is playing a pretty sound basketball right now...

to name some stats and lines... At the end I'm pretty sure you can find 20 names you would rather have (not considering potential just production after 25 games) but coming from one worst starter of the league to being top 20 of the league on key metrics would probably deserve some MIP consideration tbh fwiw

You knew before you posted this that no amount of statistics or observations would change the responses you're going to get.

Yes, there are more than 20 players in the league that I would select (most people would select) before Parker, if for no other reason than they're young. There's still the question of whether Tony can keep this level of play up for a whole season. But the way he's playing right now, and with his knowledge of the system and the other players? There aren't many players who would be better for THIS team right now.

lefty
12-15-2015, 09:53 AM
my RIP thread made wonders on his karma... let's hope this thread won't jinx him
IMO he is the best PG in the NBA right now, and I'm 200% convinced he will be even better in the playoffs

BillMc
12-15-2015, 10:00 AM
I think Tony has been great. Both in his production when used and in accepting his slightly changed role. It's a mature player indeed who can do what he's doing, and almost Duncan-ian on how he has retooled his game around his changing body.

Major props to Tony. And to answer the OP's question, he's just on the cusp of Top 20 now. That shooting percentage is fantastic. (Wasn't there some troll on here who did a poll asking to predict Parker's shooting percentage, and didn't allow for an answer over 39%? Guess TP proved him wrong. )

SpursFan86
12-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Not top 20, but I think every Spurs fan has to be thrilled with how much better he's looked this season compared to last. He's taking less shots (9.3 FGA per game) and when he does shoot, he's being extremely efficient. Career low in TOs, and career high in TS%. As for his assists, the raw numbers look a bit low, but per 36 they're about in line with his career averages, which is fine.

But honestly, the biggest surprise has to be his defense. The past couple of years he was a complete liability on that end and I cringed every time he was guarding someone with the ball. This year though he's actually been incredibly solid (at least by Parker standards :lol ) defensively. Obviously it helps when you have Green/Kawhi/Aldridge/Duncan behind you helping out, but regardless, he deserves credit for making strides on that end.

I have doubts about him keeping this up all season, but if he can at least keep up the defensive effort without completely falling apart efficiency-wise (55-57 TS% would be good enough), I'll be ecstatic.

steeledl
12-15-2015, 10:04 AM
Um. Yes.

dunkman
12-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Top 20, not sure. But top 21, for sure!

Brazil
12-15-2015, 10:06 AM
IMO he is the best PG in the NBA right now, and I'm 200% convinced he will be even better in the playoffs

:lol fuck you

BillMc
12-15-2015, 10:08 AM
You knew before you posted this that no amount of statistics or observations would change the responses you're going to get.

Yes, there are more than 20 players in the league that I would select (most people would select) before Parker, if for no other reason than they're young. There's still the question of whether Tony can keep this level of play up for a whole season. But the way he's playing right now, and with his knowledge of the system and the other players? There aren't many players who would be better for THIS team right now.

Well said.

MultiTroll
12-15-2015, 10:15 AM
I mentionned top 20 to be a bit provocative but let's call that player with solid above average production.

Now I'm aware, Spurs record and production is helping him to get some nice metrics in particular on defense as this team is historically good at D but there was a time when team was fine and TP struggled on those metrics.

The pros:

- 4th in FG%, 1st guard of the list

- 15th in Defensive rating :wow (Danny 10th, Tim 3rd, Kawhi 2th)... Parker is playing much better defense than recent years but his 15th rank is more the product of Spurs destroying opponent with Kawhi and Tim than his production but still :tu

The cons:

- lowest mpg and usage of his career
- his VROP and BPM are average compared to the league but his actual BPM is best of his career except 06-07 and 12-13
- Assist per game at 4,9 is quite low like last year even though he is number 2 in hockey assist :lol
The parts i agree with.

On "cons" why do you have "lowest mpg"?

MultiTroll
12-15-2015, 10:16 AM
MIP player is another media award that always :lol when a player wins due to his suckage the year before.
No Parker should not win.
Yes it's extremely encouraging to see him putting team above self.

Brazil
12-15-2015, 10:19 AM
As I mentionned and others stated too, his defense metrics have to be taken with a grain of salt... He is playing with Tim who is having a DPOT contender kind of year and overall a starting five with ridiculous defensive numbers lead by Kawhi. Nevertheless Pop mentionned he was more than happy with his effort and it is quite visible he is defending his ass off down there.

I believe two factors are explaining this ressurgence:

1. He understood with his reduced role offensively he cannot afford the luxury to be a dead weight defensively tbh... low usage and offensive production coupled with blackhole in defense would mean bench and less playing time imo

2. I have no doubt in my mind that playing lowest minutes of his career plus a decreased work load offensively is saving his legs for defending

Question is obviously now if he can keep up the rest of the season but also POs... Pop cannot do a better job to put all chances in our side by limiting his minutes (blowing off teams is also helping) and resting him when needed.

Brazil
12-15-2015, 10:25 AM
The parts i agree with.

On "cons" why do you have "lowest mpg"?

cons in a sense of being or not top 20... with a low level of mpg and usage your production has obviously less impact on team overall results. Depending of the rest of the team performance but all things being considered equal you can argue it is better to have .500 FG% on 15 FGAs than .570 on 9 FGAs.

MultiTroll
12-15-2015, 10:30 AM
cons in a sense of being or not top 20... with a low level of mpg and usage your production has obviously less impact on team overall results. Depending of the rest of the team performance but all things being considered equal you can argue it is better to have .500 FG% on 15 FGAs than .570 on 9 FGAs.
You wrote:

In Parkers case it is better to have .510 on 9 FGAs then .390 on 15 FGAs.

Brazil
12-15-2015, 10:33 AM

You are right tbh... As I said top 20 is a bit to provoke a tad that's not what matters, what matters is you can argue a bit around that: top 20, 30 whatever... last year discussion was bottom 20,30... this gap is what matters.

Now I'm also aware Parker last year in November was looking pretty good too but offensively he was certainly less efficient and his defense was nowhere close to this year. You add the fact Parker almost did not play in December last year (he missed 14 games) and you start to like what's going on for him right now compared to last year.

Brazil
12-15-2015, 10:38 AM
You wrote:

In Parkers case it is better to have .510 on 9 FGAs then .390 on 15 FGAs.

Is .390 league average ? that sounds very low

In Parker case he never had a .390 on 15 FGAs so that's a moot point. My point is the number of minutes a player is capable to play per game is important obviously and it is a criteria to define a ranking... you have dudes with crazy metrics but that are seeing the floor 5 mpg, you don't consider them in that kind of conversation.

MultiTroll
12-15-2015, 10:44 AM
Is .390 league average ? that sounds very low

In Parker case he never had a .390 on 15 FGAs so that's a moot point.
.363 vs Clippers in 7 game playoff.

We are all in agreement that this years Parker is wayy better so far.

SpursFan86
12-15-2015, 10:53 AM
My point is the number of minutes a player is capable to play per game is important obviously and it is a criteria to define a ranking... you have dudes with crazy metrics but that are seeing the floor 5 mpg, you don't consider them in that kind of conversation.

Exactly. Manu is probably still a top 15-20 player when he's on the court, but considering he plays less than 20 mpg at this point, it'd be hard to make an argument for him over some guys who might be slightly worse but play 30+ mpg.

TXstbobcat
12-15-2015, 11:10 AM
Tony is playing better defense and has a great fg% so far this year. I definately think that tony has proved a lot of his haters wrong so far this year.

RD2191
12-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Who cares? As long as he keeps playing like he has been I'll be happy.

GSH
12-15-2015, 11:14 AM
You are right tbh... As I said top 20 is a bit to provoke a tad that's not what matters, what matters is you can argue a bit around that: top 20, 30 whatever... last year discussion was bottom 20,30... this gap is what matters.

Now I'm also aware Parker last year in November was looking pretty good too but offensively he was certainly less efficient and his defense was nowhere close to this year. You add the fact Parker almost did not play in December last year (he missed 14 games) and you start to like what's going on for him right now compared to last year.

I can't argue with that. The difference between this year and last is pretty significant.

I do think part of it may be related to Duncan's reduced offensive numbers, and the fact that Aldridge has a mid-range game. The Spurs' offense has opened a little bit more space in the paint for him to operate. Maybe Tony has lost a step, but he's still pretty damned good as long as the defense isn't able to totally pack the paint against him? So maybe part of this resurgence is him being healthy, and part is Pop doing some tweaking.

I know some people have been bitching that Kawhi isn't getting enough post-ups. But think what that does for Tony, having him pull the other team's best defender away from the paint.

Clipper Nation
12-15-2015, 11:14 AM
Yes, he's one of the top 20 fattest fucks in the league. Also, one of the top 20 choke artists and team cancers as well.

SpursFan86
12-15-2015, 11:15 AM
One thing to note: he's shooting almost 65% from 16-23 feet this year...which needless to say isn't going to hold (his career high from that distance is 45.9% in 2013). However from 10-16 feet he's shooting below his career averages, so he will probably see an increase there.

As I said, I'd be very surprised if he continues to shoot at a 60+ TS% clip this season. But even if that number falls in the 55-57 range, it'd be a massive improvement over where he was at last year...especially when you throw in his improved defense. I said going into the season that I'd be happy if he could at least get back to where he was during the 2013-2014 regular season, and that seems like a realistic possibility now :toast

G-Dawgg
12-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Put him on a different team and I guarantee you would see him shine. On the Spurs, he has to play a role. On another team, he'd be a killer....

Kikoluna
12-15-2015, 11:42 AM
Lol este vato. You mean Chubbs? Top 20? This has to get more fire than my kobe to spurs

houston spurs fan
12-15-2015, 11:52 AM
I really hate lists like this because it's all apples and oranges. Don't think you can compare him to other point guards or players. What I think we can all agree on is that TP is the right point guard for this veteran team, he is playing well, and is making smart decisions. We need him to be Jason Kidd this year, not TP 2007. He's orchestrating. You've got new guys, guys with new roles, and it's Tony's job (and Manu with the 2nd unit) to make it all go. He's doing a great job so far...

GSH
12-15-2015, 11:54 AM
One thing to note: he's shooting almost 65% from 16-23 feet this year...which needless to say isn't going to hold (his career high from that distance is 45.9% in 2013). However from 10-16 feet he's shooting below his career averages, so he will probably see an increase there.

The thing is, he doesn't shoot very many shots from that 10-16 foot distance. The last few seasons, he shot about 25% of his shots from 0-3 feet. This season he's shooting about 37 of his shots in the paint. That is a HUGE change. He's shooting a lot fewer 3's than last season, and a lot fewer from 3-10 feet. It's the fact that he is taking a lot more shots all the way to the rack is the reason his numbers look so much better.

SpursFan86
12-15-2015, 12:08 PM
The thing is, he doesn't shoot very many shots from that 10-16 foot distance. The last few seasons, he shot about 25% of his shots from 0-3 feet. This season he's shooting about 37 of his shots in the paint. That is a HUGE change. He's shooting a lot fewer 3's than last season, and a lot fewer from 3-10 feet. It's the fact that he is taking a lot more shots all the way to the rack is the reason his numbers look so much better.

Well my main point was that his mid-range shooting (shooting 65% from that 16-23 feet range, and over a quarter of his attempts come from there) won't hold up, so naturally his overall efficiency is due for a drop.

But you're right in that a larger % of his attempts are coming at the rim, and he's also finishing at the rim better compared to last year. Shooting around 63% there (career average is 65%), whereas last season he was just under 60%. I imagine some of that has to do with Aldridge providing more spacing than Splitter, as well as Parker just in general looking healthier and more like his old self this year.

TheMulletMan3000
12-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Who cares? As long as he keeps playing like he has been I'll be happy.

From Downtown
12-15-2015, 12:11 PM
Are you hater in disguise?

TheGreatYacht
12-15-2015, 12:20 PM
You POS :pctoss :madrun

Lostwingman
12-15-2015, 12:21 PM
I just hope he stays this productive through the playoffs. If we had this Parker last playoffs we probably repeat.

Spurtacular
12-15-2015, 12:22 PM
Basically, the question is if you had to draft a team (for a year), would you take Parker top 20? I don't think there'd be many takers.

K...
12-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Basically, the question is if you had to draft a team (for a year), would you take Parker top 20? I don't think there'd be many takers.

I would. Veteran leadership. No drama (compared to harden).

I mean he's obv ranked 20-30. You have curry above everyone, but now you get some pretty bad quality guards after the top ten.

I mean better than?

19. Deron Williams, Dallas Mavericks
18. Reggie Jackson, Detroit Pistons
17. Ricky Rubio, Minnesota Timberwolves
16. Ty Lawson, Houston Rockets
15. George Hill, Indiana Pacers
14. Jrue Holiday, New Orleans Pelicans
13. Jeff Teague, Atlanta Hawks

SpursFan86
12-15-2015, 12:55 PM
I would. Veteran leadership. No drama (compared to harden).

I mean he's obv ranked 20-30. You have curry above everyone, but now you get some pretty bad quality guards after the top ten.

I mean better than?

19. Deron Williams, Dallas Mavericks
18. Reggie Jackson, Detroit Pistons
17. Ricky Rubio, Minnesota Timberwolves
16. Ty Lawson, Houston Rockets
15. George Hill, Indiana Pacers
14. Jrue Holiday, New Orleans Pelicans
13. Jeff Teague, Atlanta Hawks

Well OP is talking about a top 20 player in the NBA, not just top 20 at the PG position. Obviously Parker has played like a top 20 (probably top 10) PG this year.

will_spurs
12-15-2015, 01:03 PM
Defensive metrics are one thing, and they're indeed probably overrated. But I don't think Tony's defensive stats were really outstanding even when playing with strong D. So one part of it is that his metrics improved, and the other part is the eye test and it's quite obvious his D is much improved.

Actually there's never been any reason for him to be a bad defender (and I'd say he's been underrated in terms of D over his career) but clearly having to shoulder less of the load on O means he can spend some energy on D. It's quite hard to be playing at top efficiency at both ends of the floor. Very few players manage that. Now his play is more balanced between O and D, and he's still incredibly efficient on O even when given few opportunities (another aspect that's underrated, he doesn't need to take 20+ shots a game like Westbrook for his presence to be felt or his shooting % to be so high).

Mr Bones
12-15-2015, 01:12 PM
The guy is doing everything an aging star should be doing. He's deferring to younger emerging leaders on the team, he's taking fewer shots, he's being incredibly efficient, he's focusing more on defense... Like Duncan, he is pretty much laying out the blueprint for how to age gracefully & successfully in the NBA.

J_Paco
12-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Put him on a different team and I guarantee you would see him shine. On the Spurs, he has to play a role. On another team, he'd be a killer....

I don't agree with this opinion, unfortunately. Last season proved that Tony's time as an elite PG is over and playing a more cerebral, veteran "role player" role is better for his body. He just can't hold physically to be a team's number 1 option and playing big minutes (34+ per game).

That being said, Tony is proving that he's smart, unselfish and savvy enough to play a great role player role at the deepest, hardest and most competitive position in the NBA. Now, we need to hope that his body holds up (no rolling your ankles, please) and he continues to pace himself.

He isn't a top 20 player, but definitely near or in the top 30 - 40 range of players, IMHO.

Solid D
12-15-2015, 01:21 PM
Tony has played a real balanced game at both ends, so far. The ranking of 4th in FG% that Brazil mentioned is listed in a sea of Bigs where the next best G or PG is Stephan Curry at 16th. That is just not really a category for Guards. But Tony does not loaf defensively. He's played an active part of the team defense which leads the NBA.

SnakeBoy
12-15-2015, 01:24 PM
The guy is doing everything an aging star should be doing. He's deferring to younger emerging leaders on the team, he's taking fewer shots, he's being incredibly efficient, he's focusing more on defense... Like Duncan, he is pretty much laying out the blueprint for how to age gracefully & successfully in the NBA.

This.

Tony has done an amazing job realizing he is no longer the head of the snake and instead focusing more energy on defense. On offense he has done a really solid job of knowing when the team needs him to be aggressive and deferring the rest of the time. Time will tell but he looks like he is now playing in a way that will allow his body to hold up over the course of the long season. I just hope he keeps it up when the playoffs come and doesn't start playing like he's having dreams of days gone by.

Brazil
12-15-2015, 01:57 PM
.363 vs Clippers in 7 game playoff.

We are all in agreement that this years Parker is wayy better so far.

was not talking over a 7 games span but ok

Spurtacular
12-15-2015, 02:09 PM
Defensive metrics are one thing, and they're indeed probably overrated. But I don't think Tony's defensive stats were really outstanding even when playing with strong D. So one part of it is that his metrics improved, and the other part is the eye test and it's quite obvious his D is much improved.

Actually there's never been any reason for him to be a bad defender (and I'd say he's been underrated in terms of D over his career) but clearly having to shoulder less of the load on O means he can spend some energy on D. It's quite hard to be playing at top efficiency at both ends of the floor. Very few players manage that. Now his play is more balanced between O and D, and he's still incredibly efficient on O even when given few opportunities (another aspect that's underrated, he doesn't need to take 20+ shots a game like Westbrook for his presence to be felt or his shooting % to be so high).

I disagree. I've seen Parker pick up his defense intensity in the waning moments of big games; but throughout a season or even a playoff series, his defense has never been better than average at best. Even when he was prime, this was the case. The reality is that he gives away something on defense. So, to take him top 20, one is saying he is that pivotal to an offense. I don't know that I see it that way. But given his resume, there's at least a case for it.

T_L_P
12-15-2015, 03:01 PM
So Kawhi, Duncan, Tony, Aldridge are all top 20 players to you?

Beaverfuzz
12-15-2015, 03:07 PM
weight loss has helped Parker immensely.

BD24
12-15-2015, 03:10 PM
Not top 20, but I think every Spurs fan has to be thrilled with how much better he's looked this season compared to last. He's taking less shots (9.3 FGA per game) and when he does shoot, he's being extremely efficient. Career low in TOs, and career high in TS%. As for his assists, the raw numbers look a bit low, but per 36 they're about in line with his career averages, which is fine.

But honestly, the biggest surprise has to be his defense. The past couple of years he was a complete liability on that end and I cringed every time he was guarding someone with the ball. This year though he's actually been incredibly solid (at least by Parker standards :lol ) defensively. Obviously it helps when you have Green/Kawhi/Aldridge/Duncan behind you helping out, but regardless, he deserves credit for making strides on that end.

I have doubts about him keeping this up all season, but if he can at least keep up the defensive effort without completely falling apart efficiency-wise (55-57 TS% would be good enough), I'll be ecstatic.
I agree with this. Particuarly the defense piece. He just seems to be putting forth much more effort on the defensive end. That is probably a result of him being less involved in the offense so he has more energy for defense. Have been really happy with his year and the Spurs so far.

If DG can ever start knocking the 3 down at a decent clip the league should watch out

YGWHI
12-15-2015, 03:51 PM
I know some people have been bitching that Kawhi isn't getting enough post-ups. But think what that does for Tony, having him pull the other team's best defender away from the paint.

Parker's efficiency has benefited from Kawhi's ability to draw the attention of defenses.

If you have to facilitate the offense of a player on your team, you would facilitate the offense of your best player, or the offense of your vet point guard? Kawhi is a great post up player, that's way people have been bitching that the Spurs don't feed him in the post or at least exploit his favorable matchups. Utah switched, Kawhi had Neto on him and nobody passed him the ball...

Brazil
12-15-2015, 03:52 PM
So Kawhi, Duncan, Tony, Aldridge are all top 20 players to you?

read OP you will surely have better questions

Mugen
12-15-2015, 03:56 PM
I'm just glad he's been able to run up and down the court so far. It was more of an enthusiastic waddle last season tbh.

letmk
12-15-2015, 04:01 PM
So far he plays solid. If he can play like a top 50 players during the playoffs, the Spurs would have great chance to win. Last year, he was like top 200 player or even worse, even though the raw numbers like points and assists were not that bad.

SpurSwag
12-15-2015, 04:05 PM
He's played better than I ever could have expected, and I'm not a parker hater in the slightest. I've always been a huge fan of his, but I didn't think he'd adjust his game so perfectly this quickly. I thought it might take some of this season or maybe the entirety of this season to figure out his role in being the bridge between the Duncan Manu era and the Kawhi Aldridge era, but it looks like he's balancing it perfectly. He knows he still needs to be our third best scorer most nights, but on nights where TD or Manu has it going, he seems content to just play his role, take 7 or 8 shots to keep the defense honest, and call it a night. Really happy with the team so far!

100%duncan
12-15-2015, 05:27 PM
Definitely not top 20. But we dont need him to be.

GSH
12-15-2015, 05:28 PM
Parker's efficiency has benefited from Kawhi's ability to draw the attention of defenses.

If you have to facilitate the offense of a player on your team, you would facilitate the offense of your best player, or the offense of your vet point guard? Kawhi is a great post up player, that's way people have been bitching that the Spurs don't feed him in the post or at least exploit his favorable matchups. Utah switched, Kawhi had Neto on him and nobody passed him the ball...

You're bitching that Kawhi didn't get a pass in a game the Spurs won by 37, and led by as much as 46? Fucking player fans.

Kawhi is shooting right at .500 from the 3P line. Maybe they should just let him shoot a 3 on every fucking possession, and score 120 a game. Offense solved.

spurraider21
12-15-2015, 10:05 PM
:lol no

dabom
12-15-2015, 10:45 PM
Wow OP. :rollin

YGWHI
12-16-2015, 10:28 AM
You're bitching that Kawhi didn't get a pass in a game the Spurs won by 37, and led by as much as 46? Fucking player fans.

Kawhi is shooting right at .500 from the 3P line. Maybe they should just let him shoot a 3 on every fucking possession, and score 120 a game. Offense solved.

:lol

No. I've said before the easiest way to score and win a game is exploiting matchups.

Ignoring Kawhi when he has a favorable matchup is not something you should be proud of.

If Parker or any other Spurs player ignore Kawhi against scrubs winning by 37 you can say it doesn't matter, but you won't say the same thing if Curry is guarding Kawhi in the post and nobody passes him the ball.

The team should create the habit of feeding him in favorable matchups situations.

You should to play your best player to his strengths, Kawhi's great post up player, you should give him more the ball in the post.

FromWayDowntown
12-16-2015, 10:50 AM

Brazil
12-16-2015, 03:08 PM
Wow OP. :rollin

what tbh ? :lol

As I said, top 20 is obviously a stretch but I'm not sure you will find 30 names better so far... yeah maybe but... again it is not really important 20,30,40... the evolution vs. LY is and it is quite nice to see... let's hope he keeps up

TrainOfThought5
12-16-2015, 05:30 PM

Bold ass claim right here considering Steph Curry is alive and breathing.

And playoffs?? If he continues to facilitate without turnovers and knockdown open midrange jumpers and not be a total turnstile on D, ill be ecstatic.

Seventyniner
12-16-2015, 05:32 PM
I disagree. I've seen Parker pick up his defense intensity in the waning moments of big games; but throughout a season or even a playoff series, his defense has never been better than average at best. Even when he was prime, this was the case. The reality is that he gives away something on defense. So, to take him top 20, one is saying he is that pivotal to an offense. I don't know that I see it that way. But given his resume, there's at least a case for it.

Defense can't matter that much if James Harden can finish in the top 5 in MVP voting.

Spurtacular
12-16-2015, 05:49 PM
Defense can't matter that much if James Harden can finish in the top 5 in MVP voting.

I see what you did there....

lefty
12-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Bold ass claim right here considering Steph Curry is alive and breathing.

And playoffs?? If he continues to facilitate without turnovers and knockdown open midrange jumpers and not be a total turnstile on D, ill be ecstatic.
Somebody explain him pls

TrainOfThought5
12-16-2015, 06:05 PM
Somebody explain him pls

LMAO cant believe i bit the hook. Damn you lefty :lol

Splits
12-16-2015, 06:43 PM
The player fan crew has no idea how to react.

Sure they do. They make up some ridiculous claim and quit.

SASdynasty!
12-16-2015, 08:40 PM
First the guy leads the league in scoring in the paint, then he leads the league in 3P% for like the first half of the season, now he is he best midrange shooter in the league. What doesn't this guy do?

100%duncan
12-16-2015, 09:52 PM
what tbh ? :lol

As I said, top 20 is obviously a stretch but I'm not sure you will find 30 names better so far... yeah maybe but... again it is not really important 20,30,40... the evolution vs. LY is and it is quite nice to see... let's hope he keeps up

He aint top 30 either but I love this version of parker tbh

FkLA
12-16-2015, 09:55 PM
He's been a really good role player but nowhere near Top 20. Borderline Top 100 imo which is still a huge upgrade from last season when he wasn't even Top 300 tbh.

TheGreatYacht
12-16-2015, 10:56 PM
10 dimes on his worst game of the season. MVParker :worthy:

Mr Bones
12-17-2015, 02:37 AM
He's been a really good role player but nowhere near Top 20. Borderline Top 100 imo which is still a huge upgrade from last season when he wasn't even Top 300 tbh.

Why do you think that is? How did he jump 200 spots?

gilmor
12-17-2015, 02:41 AM
who gives a fuck as long as Spurs is winning..

12-17-2015, 04:49 AM
10 dimes on his worst game of the season. MVParker :worthy:
:worthy:

Brazil
12-17-2015, 07:22 AM

give me that list of 100 :lol

:lol desperation mode

will_spurs
12-17-2015, 08:43 AM
Since there aren't even 300 NBA caliber players in the NBA, I'm going to go out on a limb and say Parker was easily a top 300 player last year :lol

RD2191
12-17-2015, 10:45 AM

dabom
12-17-2015, 10:52 AM
Tony is a good system player. Top role player for sure. :lol

TXstbobcat
12-17-2015, 10:56 AM
Tony is playing well and the Spurs are winning. I care about this more than what his ranking is.

dabom
12-17-2015, 11:01 AM
Tony is playing well and the Spurs are winning. I care about this more than what his ranking is.

Player fan. :lol

TXstbobcat
12-17-2015, 11:04 AM
Player fan. :lol

Why would wanting the Spurs to continue winning and not caring about what a player is ranked make me a player fan?????

Kikoluna
12-17-2015, 11:07 AM
who gives a fuck as long as Spurs is winning..

You mean "are" winning

SASdynasty!
12-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Solid take, per par

dabom
12-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Why would wanting the Spurs to continue winning and not caring about what a player is ranked make me a player fan?????

I was talking about OP but conversing with you.

spursistan
12-17-2015, 11:54 AM
he could have had career assist night against the Wiz instead of jacking up some extra bad shots which hurt is FG%..

FkLA
12-17-2015, 01:07 PM
give me that list of 100 :lol

:lol desperation mode

It was an educated guess, which wasn't that far off. Went through the rosters and he ended up being a borderline Top 80 player tbh.

LeBron
Irving
Love
Wade
Whiteside
Bosh
Dragic
Kawhi
LMA
Duncan
Ginobili
Curry
Draymond
Thompson
Barnes
Porzingis
Melo
Butler
MVPau
Noah
CP3
Griffin
Jordan
Reddick
Lowry
Derozan
Carrol
Harden
Dwert
Isiah Thomas
Avery Bradley
Durant
Alphabrook
Abaka
Dirk
Dwill
Drummond
Reggie Jackson
Okafor
Kemba Walker
Batum
Al Jefferson
MKG
Davis
Holiday
Evans
Cousins
Gay
Rondo
Wiggins
KAT
Horford
Millsap
Korver
Teague
Lopez
Paul George
CJ Miles
Wall
Beal
Gortat
Lillard
McCollum
Conley
Randolph
Gasol
Gobert
Hayward
Favors
Bledsoe
Knight
Oladipo
Vucevic
Elfrid Payton
Antetokounmpo
Monroe
Middleton
Faried
Gallinari

midnightpulp
12-17-2015, 01:26 PM
He's top 50 right now. 41st in PER, 69th in RPM, and watching him all season, I can find no complaints with how he is playing. Top 50 puts him in the top 10% of NBA players. Can't ask for anything more after his play last season.

Primary worries are:

- Health. We know a slight injury massively affects him.

- Trying to "prove something" to Stephen Curry if/when they match up in the post-season.

Other than that, I'm not too worried about him. It's 27 games in already, and he's got his role within this offense figured out. LMA has really opened up his lanes and creates more comfortable spots for him.

The last piece of the puzzle is Danny's positively regressing. If Danny can find his form (and he will need to, as I see GS hiding Curry on him and sicking Klay on Parker), we've got a good shot at dethroning those fucks.

Brazil
12-17-2015, 02:41 PM
He's top 50 right now. 41st in PER, 69th in RPM, and watching him all season, I can find no complaints with how he is playing. Top 50 puts him in the top 10% of NBA players. Can't ask for anything more after his play last season.

Primary worries are:

- Health. We know a slight injury massively affects him.

- Trying to "prove something" to Stephen Curry if/when they match up in the post-season.

Other than that, I'm not too worried about him. It's 27 games in already, and he's got his role within this offense figured out. LMA has really opened up his lanes and creates more comfortable spots for him.

The last piece of the puzzle is Danny's positively regressing. If Danny can find his form (and he will need to, as I see GS hiding Curry on him and sicking Klay on Parker), we've got a good shot at dethroning those fucks.

He is on the 30s on PIE once you get rid off of the 5 mpg guys I'd say 50 is a bit low but what matters is for sure his progression

Brazil
12-17-2015, 03:44 PM
It was an educated guess, which wasn't that far off. Went through the rosters and he ended up being a borderline Top 80 player tbh.

..... non sense list

Gallinari

Finishing your list with Gallinari is quite the cherry on the cake

too bad you can't be serious 2 minutes but whatever

FkLA
12-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Finishing your list with Gallinari is quite the cherry on the cake

too bad you can't be serious 2 minutes but whatever

:lol hes only averaging 12 and 5, is the 3rd/4th option on the team, and is still a bad defender

It's a huge upgrade relative to how he played last year but quit being a homer and acting like that's super impressive tbh.

TheGreatYacht
12-17-2015, 04:54 PM
:lol hes only averaging 12 and 5, is the 3rd/4th option on the team, and is still a bad defender

It's a huge upgrade relative to how he played last year but quit being a homer and acting like that's super impressive tbh.
What a chode :lol

Complains about wanting Parker to reduce his usage, then judges him off vanilla PPG and APG. If that's the case, Paul George >>>>>>>> Kiwi "ultimate 3&D player" Leonard

FkLA
12-17-2015, 05:24 PM
What a chode :lol

Complains about wanting Parker to reduce his usage, then judges him off vanilla PPG and APG. If that's the case, Paul George >>>>>>>> Kiwi "ultimate 3&D player" Leonard

Well, what else is there to judge him on? It's not like he's a superhuman defender like Kawhi.

He's accepted a lesser role, which is best for him and the team. If he was still out there trying to be a hero every game he'd be playing like he played for France in Eurobasket. Top 20 players are stars, 12 and 5 aren't star numbers. He's a good role player though.

Neurosis
12-17-2015, 06:24 PM
Top47.

Brazil
12-18-2015, 06:40 AM

Oh now raw stats matter 12 and 5 :rolleyes

As I said top 20 is for being a bit provocative... his progression vs. last year yes is super impressive dummy. He is on the 40s on PER, 30s in PIE, top 10 WS, top 20 net rating, best guard in shooting efficiency, he has not been a bad defenser this year

but yeah go ahead with your there is 100 nba players better than him this year with a list including galinari and barnes to name two... If you want to stick with your the schtick that made you famous on ST fine but this kind of posts does not help the small remaining credibility you had

still.focused
12-18-2015, 08:07 AM
No hes not top 20
But Im not sure we want him to be
We just need him to be efficient & fight around some screens & let the young boys do the work
He doesnt need to be the engine anymore, just man the wheel

romain.star
12-18-2015, 08:51 AM
Well, what else is there to judge him on? It's not like he's a superhuman defender like Kawhi.

He's accepted a lesser role, which is best for him and the team. If he was still out there trying to be a hero every game he'd be playing like he played for France in Eurobasket. Top 20 players are stars, 12 and 5 aren't star numbers. He's a good role player though.

Dude, for your own sake, you should only post when Parker plays shitty. Right now, just lay low and wait for the next opportunity

eric365
12-18-2015, 08:58 AM
Probably only top 50 which is already way better than last year
You can't take a per 36 basis alone for a ranking. He has low minutes becauses he can't handle more minutes anymore.

Tha same way Manu lost many All-Nba and All-Star selections his whole career because his body couldn't support more minutes

Brazil
12-18-2015, 09:10 AM
Probably only top 50 which is already way better than last year
You can't take a per 36 basis alone for a ranking. He has low minutes becauses he can't handle more minutes anymore.

Tha same way Manu lost many All-Nba and All-Star selections his whole career because his body couldn't support more minutes

:rolleyes nobody took only his per 36 for a ranking

I said in OP that his limited minutes is a con to consider him as a top player anyway

Brazil
12-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Also a dude like manu produces more wins and point differential with his limited minutes than most of NBA starters

bic50
12-18-2015, 09:13 AM
Not sure where he ranks as a player, but he's been great so far this season. His defense has been a pleasant surprise.

Richie
12-18-2015, 09:23 AM
Parker has been excellent so far this season, just goes to show his problems last season were certainly health related. We're a different team when he's healthy, putting pressure on the defense getting to the rim and making good decisions on when to pass or shoot.

FkLA
12-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Oh now raw stats matter 12 and 5 :rolleyes

As I said top 20 is for being a bit provocative... his progression vs. last year yes is super impressive dummy. He is on the 40s on PER, 30s in PIE, top 10 WS, top 20 net rating, best guard in shooting efficiency, he has not been a bad defenser this year

but yeah go ahead with your there is 100 nba players better than him this year with a list including galinari and barnes to name two... If you want to stick with your the schtick that made you famous on ST fine but this kind of posts does not help the small remaining credibility you had

Quit being a homer. The Top 25 or so players in the league are all-stars, then there's another good amount that are borderline all-stars. Enrique isn't in either of those lists. He's a role player, a pretty good one and a huge upgrade from how he played last year but still a role player nontheless. Unless you're actually enough of a homer to think he's still a star?

There's 80 names on that list. You can nitpick a name here or there, but the majority of them are indisputably better than Enrique. He's a lot closer to 80 than he is to your homer claim of 20 or 30 tbh.

Dude, for your own sake, you should only post when Parker plays shitty. Right now, just lay low and wait for the next opportunity

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/flags/France.gif

romain.star is a Spurs fan from France.

romain.star
12-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Quit being a homer. The Top 25 or so players in the league are all-stars, then there's another good amount that are borderline all-stars. Enrique isn't in either of those lists. He's a role player, a pretty good one and a huge upgrade from how he played last year but still a role player nontheless. Unless you're actually enough of a homer to think he's still a star?

There's 80 names on that list. You can nitpick a name here or there, but the majority of them are indisputably better than Enrique. He's a lot closer to 80 than he is to your homer claim of 20 or 30 tbh.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/flags/France.gif

romain.star is a Spurs fan from France.

A French Spurs fan from Germany since 1997 whose all time favorite Spur is DRob and current favorite is Diaw.

You mexican? You fan of Nájera, Pancho Villa and El Chapo?

ElNono
12-18-2015, 05:36 PM
No, but there's no shame in that. He's at a different stage of his career, and what he brings to the Spurs in his new role is still very important.

YGWHI
12-18-2015, 05:50 PM
So pathetic...Parker fans calling Kawhi "3&D player" :lol

Can't handle Kawhi's diversified offensive repertoire, can't deal with the fact that he's having a top-8 season in NBA history

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWiK1YPUAAA7Cwc.png:large

Brazil
12-18-2015, 10:39 PM
:lol FkLA

i hope nigga won't do anything stupid tonight tbh :depressed

spurraider21
12-18-2015, 10:54 PM

I might use the $100 I win from my bet to FedEx him Tony Parker fathead. He could put it on his bedroom ceiling so he can see tp every time he busts a nut

FkLA
12-18-2015, 10:58 PM

Consistency. Learn the meaning of it. Obviously if he played like this every game he'd be Top 20, but he doesn't.

Also I enjoyed his performance tonight. Helped us pull out the W.

Brazil
12-18-2015, 11:04 PM
Consistency. Learn the meaning of it. Obviously if he played like this every game he'd be Top 20, but he doesn't.

Also I enjoyed his performance tonight. Helped us pull out the W.

he has been consistent this year... Tonite he had a nice spike that helped Spurs get the win in the fourth, good for us

lefty
12-25-2015, 10:42 PM
lol they had all fkn quarter to get kawhi going, then all of sudden he hits 3...they decide to look for him for him on a final possesion, looking enrique dribbling around like a kent looking for kawhi to bail him out..

Fireball
01-06-2016, 02:19 AM
no ... I am sorry

hater
01-09-2016, 11:06 AM
Parker is beasting this season.

houston spurs fan
01-09-2016, 11:10 AM
He's deserving of an all star nod. If Draymond Green is, TP is.

TheGreatYacht
01-09-2016, 11:16 AM
38 games in and he still is

:tu

Diego20
01-09-2016, 11:50 AM

TP tard :lmao

houston spurs fan
01-09-2016, 01:59 PM
I'm a Spurs fan.

hater
01-09-2016, 05:07 PM

Re tard

100%duncan
01-09-2016, 08:50 PM

What the fuck? Draymond is a faggot and I hate the dude but he's having one hell of a season. Parker is having a good season but is nowhere near the faggot's level.

houston spurs fan
01-09-2016, 09:23 PM
What the fuck? Draymond is a faggot and I hate the dude but he's having one hell of a season. Parker is having a good season but is nowhere near the faggot's level.
I also hate Green. We are 32-6 and TP has played well. Maybe if someone gets hurt I could see him picked as an all star.

lilbthebasedgod
01-09-2016, 10:16 PM
Maybe? Borderline.

100%duncan
01-09-2016, 10:32 PM
I also hate Green. We are 32-6 and TP has played well. Maybe if someone gets hurt I could see him picked as an all star.

You make it sound like they are playing at the same level, they are not. That's fine, TP is still playing well but nowhere near Draymond

YGWHI
01-09-2016, 10:44 PM
#47 in PER
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

#88 in RPM
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/3/sort/RPM

Ascending spots! :bobo Between 45-90 NBA players, not more #300!

bic50
01-09-2016, 11:12 PM
#47 in PER
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

#88 in RPM
http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/3/sort/RPM

Ascending spots! :bobo Between 45-90 NBA players, not more #300!

:toast

Spurs_619
01-09-2016, 11:37 PM
Hes not even a top 10 PG.

dabom
01-09-2016, 11:43 PM
Hes not even a top 10 PG.

in2deep
01-12-2016, 10:14 PM
try top 10

Brazil
01-15-2016, 03:57 PM
getting close tbh

dabom
01-15-2016, 04:01 PM
Close to top 80.

Brazil
01-15-2016, 06:38 PM
Close to top 80.

Name those 80 tbh

dabom
01-15-2016, 06:54 PM
Name those 80 tbh

I'm not tbh.

thiste
01-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Who cares? All I know is, dude is still capable of giving us nights where he's going to play like a top 5 player in the league. That's all that matters. We don't need him to play at that level night in and night out. But it's important for us that he can still do it.

TheMulletMan3000
01-15-2016, 08:25 PM
getting close tbh

Brazil
01-16-2016, 07:39 AM
I'm not tbh.

:lol I bet you won't

100%duncan
01-16-2016, 09:08 AM
Top 40 for sure. 25 still too high imho tbh

TXstbobcat
01-16-2016, 12:53 PM
Don't care about his ranking. Tony is playing well and the Spurs are winning. :toast

dabom
01-26-2016, 12:48 AM
:lol