PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Play to the damn buzzer!

Spurtacular
12-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Tired of watching the winning team get the ball with 22 seconds left in the game and then just take it up court and dribble out the clock. All because the other team is gonna get their feelings hurt if they score again? F that.

TrainOfThought5
12-16-2015, 10:58 PM
Sigh.... its tough being a fan of the classiest franchise in the league. But we have to be understanding of their exceptionally high level of professionalism, sportsmanship, and sports etiquette.

Almost every win is a boring blowout nowadays during a historic season... dig in, its gonna be a long season for us OP

Stalin
12-16-2015, 11:57 PM
It is annoying when they do that, tbqh.

DAF86
12-17-2015, 12:00 AM
Is a little crunch time ball for our team too much to ask? Smdh NBA. Even the Warriors get some of that every other game.

Reck
12-17-2015, 12:03 AM
What's the point of trying with 10 seconds on the clock and being down 20? All you can do is waste energy and possibly get injured on a hero play.

Know when you're beat. Nothing wrong with that.

Venti Quattro
12-17-2015, 12:05 AM
That's basically an unwritten rule even in rec leagues. I'm okay with it. There's no use in piling on two more points when you're up by 15+ when it still only counts as one win. There's also no use when you're down by 20+ since it's not going to make you win.

Well, unless you're chasing some quotient system -- then you actually have to shoot in that situation.

Silver&Black
12-17-2015, 12:11 AM
OP must have lost a lot of money because of this.

I can hear him now, "C'mon you fags!!! I need another point to beat the spread!!!"

William Hung
12-17-2015, 12:17 AM
https://s15-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.pandawhale.com%2F1 25399-karate-kid-no-mercy-gif-Imgur-dJ3u.gif&sp=644680234513c9abf257fa19674398ad

Venti Quattro
12-17-2015, 12:19 AM

I can hear him now, "C'mon you fags!!! I need another point to beat the spread!!!"

:lmao :lmao Touche

That has happened to me as well, but it's alright. Some things are more important than my bet

Kool Bob Love
12-17-2015, 12:22 AM

Parker is playing well and NOW you becoming a respectable poster. Go figure.

Stalin
12-17-2015, 12:29 AM
https://s15-us2.ixquick.com/cgi-bin/serveimage?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.pandawhale.com%2F1 25399-karate-kid-no-mercy-gif-Imgur-dJ3u.gif&sp=644680234513c9abf257fa19674398ad

Co sign

Joseph Kony
12-17-2015, 12:37 AM
No need to stat pad at that point tbh, it's sportsmanship. What I find to be incredibly annoying is when there is less than 3 seconds before the end of a quarter and a team inbounds the ball but the player just stands there without heaving the prayer to protect their percentages...gay as shit

DMC
12-17-2015, 01:09 AM
lol point spreads...

If Doc was coaching, the starters would still be in up 30 and still getting technical fouls like the game was on the line.

DMC
12-17-2015, 01:10 AM
No need to stat pad at that point tbh, it's sportsmanship. What I find to be incredibly annoying is when there is less than 3 seconds before the end of a quarter and a team inbounds the ball but the player just stands there without heaving the prayer to protect their percentages...gay as shit
I hate the stupid ass 28' heave to get the "two for one", and they give up a quick two at the other end and act like they broke even. Just play how you've been playing, fuck the 2 for one unless you have a good look.

Dex
12-17-2015, 01:41 AM
There is literally nothing good that can come from this type of stat padding.

If you make the shot, the other team will feel like you are rubbing it in their face and will have fuel to try to revenge the lack of sportsmanship.

If you miss, you just give the ball back to the opponent and then they can score a meaningless two points...so that kinda defeats the purpose.

Worst case scenario, a player gets injured on a pointless play that didn't need to be made in the first place.

None of those scenarios is worth winning by 21 instead of 19.

Spurtacular
12-17-2015, 04:05 AM
That's basically an unwritten rule even in rec leagues. I'm okay with it. There's no use in piling on two more points when you're up by 15+ when it still only counts as one win. There's also no use when you're down by 20+ since it's not going to make you win.

Well, unless you're chasing some quotient system -- then you actually have to shoot in that situation.

This BS only started only some short few years ago.

Mal
12-17-2015, 04:22 AM

Spread was way lower, Spurs easily beat it

Seventyniner
12-17-2015, 07:28 AM

This. Taking that shot can actually help your team win.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-17-2015, 08:40 AM

This. Taking that shot can actually help your team win.

While I certainly don't approve players who wouldn't try because it'd hurt their percentage, I think there's an easy fix for this - don't count missed beyond the half court heaves as a missed FG, just like a shot after a foul isn't counted unless it goes in. Don't see a problem with this, it would encourage players and we're likely to see some top 10 plays like that.