PDA

View Full Version : Rip picks Thunder to win the West

Trueblood
12-17-2015, 10:01 AM
Misleading headline because they really don't talk about the Spurs at all, but his take on the Thunder trying to force Curry to cover Westbrook and wear him down over the series is interesting.

Personally I think we can take either team, but if the playoffs started today the Warriors would only have to play us or the Thunder. I guess this implies he sees the Thunder beating us in the second even with our HCA. Thoughts?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25416481/rip-hamilton-on-the-thunder-im-picking-them-to-win-the-west

Mel_13
12-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Rip and Raja don't pick the Spurs. Shocking.

GSH
12-17-2015, 10:13 AM
Thoughts?

Thoughts? Other than, "Why would I bother to think about that?" Not so much.

SpursFan86
12-17-2015, 10:16 AM
They've been pretty great this season when KD has played. Him and Westbrook are both playing like top 5 players in the league. If he can stay healthy going forward, they'll definitely be a threat come April/May.

Luckily their new coach is just as bad (probably worse) as Brooks was, so I still don't see them going all the way.

Chinook
12-17-2015, 10:21 AM
OKC is a huge match-up issue for GS. I can honestly see the Thunder destroying the Warriors in a series. Forcing those teams to play in the second round would be a huge win for the Spurs.

Trueblood
12-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Totally agree. Why would someone join a sports forum to think about and discuss potential playoff match-ups? Good take

Trueblood
12-17-2015, 10:33 AM
Thoughts? Other than, "Why would I bother to think about that?" Not so much.

Totally agree. Why would someone join a sports forum to think about and discuss potential playoff match-ups? Good take

Fireball
12-17-2015, 10:37 AM
Without KDs injury the Thunder would have about the same record as the Spurs. Both Westbrook and Durant are really a handful ... I am really looking forward to tonight's Thunder/Cavs game ...

SPURt
12-17-2015, 11:10 AM
http://elpasoheraldpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/haterade.png

TheMulletMan3000
12-17-2015, 11:19 AM
0 chance.

spursistan
12-17-2015, 11:34 AM
a team that has two players with +30 PER should go and bury itself if they don't make WCF at least...can you imagine if the Thunder were in the hands of competent ownership/FO :lol..if they don't ring in the future, which is looking like it, we will look back at this OKC era as probably the most wasted/underachieving team of all times considering the pool of high echelon talent they had.....

The Thunder brass incapacity to provide two major elements of championship teams--elite coaching and niche/veteran role players around Russ/Durant all those years-- is simply baffling..

Leetonidas
12-17-2015, 11:44 AM

You didn't though, you started this thread to whine about someone picking OKC over SA tbh

Trueblood
12-17-2015, 11:51 AM
You didn't though, you started this thread to whine about someone picking OKC over SA tbh

Really? Cause I thought I said "Personally I think we can take either team, but if the playoffs started today the Warriors would only have to play us or the Thunder. I guess this implies he sees the Thunder beating us in the second even with our HCA. Thoughts?"

Seems like I was asking for peoples opinions on the Thunders chance against the Warriors in the playoffs and our chances over the Thunder in the second round. But if that sounds like whining to you, good on you.

Leetonidas
12-17-2015, 11:53 AM
:cry I wasn't whining :cry

houston spurs fan
12-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Rip Who??? Gives s f***. My neighbor picks the Heat to come out of the East

DAF86
12-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Curry won't be anywhere near Westbrook on the defensive end if these two teams meet. :lol

Warriors in 5, tbh.

Uriel
12-17-2015, 12:40 PM
OKC is a huge match-up issue for GS. I can honestly see the Thunder destroying the Warriors in a series. Forcing those teams to play in the second round would be a huge win for the Spurs.
Too bad it's not gonna happen.

spursistan
12-17-2015, 12:49 PM
our best case scenario would be Thunder/Clippers in 4/5 seed first round and the winner plays the Dubs..but i don't see it happening with collapse of Houston ..i think LAC/OKC will go to the wire for 3rd seed..

12-17-2015, 12:57 PM
Curry won't be anywhere near Westbrook on the defensive end if these two teams meet. :lol

Warriors in 5, tbh.
This lol I think OKC could stretch it to 6, maybe even 7 though. KD always plays well against them iirc

Cry Havoc
12-17-2015, 01:04 PM
The Warriors scare me more than the Thunder do. We already beat them, plus I don't see a team that gives a defensive sieve like Enes Kanter major minute being a serious threat to the title.

When the pace of game slows down and Westbrook reverts into his psychotic behavior, the Thunder will fail in the playoffs yet again.

buttsR4rebounding
12-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Too bad it's not gonna happen.

I have to laugh when people act like what's happening now will happen in the playoffs. GS is a top team, no doubt. Curry has been shooting lights out, but recently started to cool some. They've had only minor injuries for over a year. That's unlikely to continue. I can definitely see the Spurs taking the #1 seed. If GS has a 4 game lead still with 20 left to play that's another story, but with 60? Please.....

Godbama
12-17-2015, 01:40 PM
wow I sure am interested in the projections of noted basketball mind rip hamilton
might as well post jalen rose's opinions
I thought for a second CBS had a sportswriter named Rip but then I was like "lol even worse it's just some ex-nba players who cares what they think".

james evans
12-17-2015, 02:13 PM
of course because curry is gonna have to actually play some defense. he went the entire playoffs without having to play any until the finals when an unknown Delladova made a name for himself off the mvp.

Trueblood
12-17-2015, 02:35 PM
our best case scenario would be Thunder/Clippers in 4/5 seed first round and the winner plays the Dubs..but i don't see it happening with collapse of Houston ..i think LAC/OKC will go to the wire for 3rd seed..

This^

UNT Eagles 2016
12-17-2015, 03:55 PM
I seriously hope LAC gets the 3rd seed if we get the 2nd, because GSW/OKC needs to play each other so one of them can be eliminated. Ultimately I think we can beat the Warriors in a long 6 game series, but will lose to the Thunder even with HCA. OKC is a huge matchup problem for anyone they face because of their 2 combustible iso nukes but maybe the Warriors' firepower is enough? Maybe not. But we all know the refs have a butt buddy relationship with both Durant and Westbrook and that's what makes them nigh impossible to beat over the course of a long series when they're both healthy.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-17-2015, 03:59 PM
Again, the Warriors don't scare me too much. They're obviously a great team and might have the best offensive numbers ever, but their interior defense is suspect and we have 2 guys tailor made to slow down (not stop, but slow down) the Splash Brothers. Spurs in 6 if Pop doesn't do some stupid shit.

On the other hand, the Thunder cost me $75 for a new bedroom door in early June 2012. I fear and hate them more than I fear and hate ISIS. They are the devil, they have the refs in their pockets, and they are a determined force to be reckoned with. If their shooters outside of Durant/Westbrook make shots they are impossible to stop no matter who you have. In the 90s they would have had 5 championships by now. I fear them above all.

DenialTwist
12-17-2015, 06:19 PM
Ethan Strauss said today that the Warriors want to maintain the #1 seed, it's important for them because if San Antonio gets #2 then they will most likely play the Thunder first not the Warriors. I just think OKC is a bad matchup for the Spurs.

RD2191
12-17-2015, 06:25 PM
Gonna be tough for the Spurs to make it out of the west tbh. Looks they either play GS or OKC in the 2nd round if the standings stay somewhat the same.

RD2191
12-17-2015, 06:28 PM
I seriously hope LAC gets the 3rd seed if we get the 2nd, because GSW/OKC needs to play each other so one of them can be eliminated. Ultimately I think we can beat the Warriors in a long 6 game series, but will lose to the Thunder even with HCA. OKC is a huge matchup problem for anyone they face because of their 2 combustible iso nukes but maybe the Warriors' firepower is enough? Maybe not. But we all know the refs have a butt buddy relationship with both Durant and Westbrook and that's what makes them nigh impossible to beat over the course of a long series when they're both healthy.
Missed that, best we can hope for is that OKC falls to 4th.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-17-2015, 06:38 PM
Gonna be tough for the Spurs to make it out of the west tbh. Looks they either play GS or OKC in the 2nd round if the standings stay somewhat the same.

i'd almost rather tank and get the 4 seed to get GSW in the second round, but that almost assures that we'd have a worse record than Cleveland which would kill our ultimate end goal. Also there's no guarantee OKC would lose before the WCF in that case, so it's a dumb idea altogether.

Kool Bob Love
12-17-2015, 06:42 PM
RIP still bitter over 2005.

RD2191
12-17-2015, 06:55 PM
i'd almost rather tank and get the 4 seed to get GSW in the second round, but that almost assures that we'd have a worse record than Cleveland which would kill our ultimate end goal. Also there's no guarantee OKC would lose before the WCF in that case, so it's a dumb idea altogether.
Might be worth considering tbh. No way in hell we beat both OKC and GS. We'd be drained physically and mentally if we get past OKC.

Robz4000
12-17-2015, 07:16 PM
Not sure why any Spurs fan is afraid of the Thunder these days. The whole issue with that match up was Abaka scaring the shit out of Tony/Manu/the Spurs' drive-and-dish game. With the additions of LMA/West and the shift in offensive system the Spurs are no longer playing into his strengths. Defending Durant and Westchimp hasn't been much of a problem throughout the years.

exstatic
12-17-2015, 07:49 PM
Not sure why any Spurs fan is afraid of the Thunder these days. The whole issue with that match up was Abaka scaring the shit out of Tony/Manu/the Spurs' drive-and-dish game. With the additions of LMA/West and the shift in offensive system the Spurs are no longer playing into his strengths. Defending Durant and Westchimp hasn't been much of a problem throughout the years.

In spite of all the press, the Thunder are a shell of that 2012 team. They are short one Harden, replaced by NOTHING on their current roster, and their best post and wing defenders in Perk and Thabo.

RD2191
12-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Would the league rather have a GS/Spurs WCF or a GS/OKC WCF? That's the reason I fear the Thunder.

Robz4000
12-17-2015, 07:57 PM
Would the league rather have a GS/Spurs WCF or a GS/OKC WCF? That's the reason I fear the Thunder.

If both teams remain the clear two best teams, Dubs/Spurs.

Budkin
12-17-2015, 07:58 PM
The Thunder aren't winning shit... they don't even look as good as they were two years ago.

RD2191
12-17-2015, 07:58 PM
If both teams remain the clear two best teams, Dubs/Spurs.
Idk, OKC still has star power and I'm sure they'd draw more ratings.

100%duncan
12-17-2015, 08:02 PM
Non-issue

skulls138
12-17-2015, 08:09 PM
If what ex-NBA stars thought about the Spurs actually came true, we would literally have zero championships.....not FIVE!!!!

100%duncan
12-17-2015, 08:10 PM

Not really. Everyone, the media, the fans, are already hyping up a GS-Spurs some of the media even calling it a "dream match-up" plus you cant go wrong with the past 2 champions angle also, kawhi vs curry, best defense vs best offense.

SpursFan86
12-17-2015, 08:13 PM

Unfortunately both ways this could happen (Spurs getting 1st seed, OKC getting 4th/5th seed) look pretty unrealistic at the moment. Then again we're only halfway through December so who knows.

DenialTwist
12-17-2015, 09:53 PM
RIP still bitter over 2005.

So is Chauncey Billups. Billups admitted it on ESPN. He said he had a respectable hate for the Spurs after losing that year.

weeks
12-17-2015, 10:01 PM
that's why the best outcome is facing OKC in the semis, then facing us in the conference finals. ratings-wise imo

bic50
12-17-2015, 10:40 PM
So is Chauncey Billups. Billups admitted it on ESPN. He said he had a respectable hate for the Spurs after losing that year.

I always sensed Greg Anthony hated the spurs also. Memorial day miracle shot probably still gives him nightmares.

houston spurs fan
12-17-2015, 11:09 PM
I always sensed Greg Anthony hated the spurs also. Memorial day miracle shot probably still gives him nightmares.
Greg Anthony has other problems. Like forgetting it's illegal to solicit and pay for sex...

UNT Eagles 2016
12-17-2015, 11:10 PM
Might be worth considering tbh. No way in hell we beat both OKC and GS. We'd be drained physically and mentally if we get past OKC.

truth bomb

UNT Eagles 2016
12-17-2015, 11:12 PM
It's not a problem until you breathe on them and the whistle blows.

bic50
12-17-2015, 11:43 PM
Greg Anthony has other problems. Like forgetting it's illegal to solicit and pay for sex...

True :lol

cjw
12-17-2015, 11:44 PM
Richard Jefferson just killed the Thunder. Let that sink in.

RD2191
12-17-2015, 11:47 PM
Richard Jefferson just killed the Thunder. Let that sink in.
I haven't been keeping up with them lately but they looked like trash tonight. Iso after iso and stupid shots all night. KD and russ hate passing I guess. :lol

Kawhitstorm
12-17-2015, 11:48 PM

Roberson would get the Tony Allen treatment & Waiters will get destroyed by Klay. People forget that Reggie Jackson bailed out Durant/Westbrook against the Grizz back in the 2013 postseason when Ibaka was a 100% healthy in that series.

Besides, the Warriors only the Cavs are the main threat to the Spurs championship aspirations.

Kawhitstorm
12-17-2015, 11:53 PM

OKC's hope hinges on Dion Butters showing up in the playoffs.:lol If they still had Reggie Jackson then they would have been a real threat but Roberson/Dion Butters/Anus Kanters playing major minutes in the playoffs:lmao.

As long as the Spurs/Warriors are healthy they would smash both the Clips/OKC in a playoff series. Both OKC/Clips need to acquire a wing player to be a legit contender otherwise they will stay being pretenders.

SpursIndonesia
12-17-2015, 11:58 PM
OKC's hope hinges on Dion Butters showing up in the playoffs.:lol If they still had Reggie Jackson then they would have been a real threat but Roberson/Dion Butters/Anus Kanters playing major minutes in the playoffs:lmao.

As long as the Spurs/Warriors are healthy they would smash both the Clips/OKC in a playoff series. Both OKC/Clips need to acquire a wing player to be a legit contender otherwise they will stay being pretenders.

Yeah, Reggie is wreaking havoc in the east with the Pistons right now. How on earth a franchise thought Harden & Jackson doesn't deserve max money yet throwing exactly that toward Anus Cancer ?

Kawhitstorm
12-18-2015, 12:04 AM
Yeah, Reggie is wreaking havoc in the east with the Pistons right now. How on earth a franchise thought Harden & Jackson doesn't deserve max money yet throwing exactly that toward Anus Cancer ?

Both Reggie Jackson & Harden wanted their own team; they didn't want to play 2nd fiddle to Durant/Westbrook b/c they play 1-on-1. In any case, there is only one ball so Harden/Reggie would have never reached their full potential if they stayed in OKC.

Pako
12-18-2015, 12:52 AM
Billups said yesterday that his favorite player is Kawhi.. He was ready to expound his comments but was cut by other announcer because it was a different topic.

tmtcsc
12-18-2015, 01:24 AM
OKC ? Nah. That team is just a couple of chuckers who will be tired as fuck by the time the playoffs get here. Golden State is the only roadblock for the Spurs - good health being constant.

Sean Cagney
12-18-2015, 01:31 AM

Every commentator or announcer who seems to have a hate for the Spurs has some deep rooted issues against them and shows it. I always thought Reggie Miller did at times too but that could be because he never won a ring and is bitter. Jon Barry seemed to be a hater too at times and that probably stems from his team never winning crap and his brother getting 2 rings. GA did always have that stupid smirk on his face though when talking the Spurs it seemed like he wanted to say something bad.

Billups even said after those finals no disrespect to the Spurs but we let one get away and we know it, thought they should have won and said that right after the finals game 7. He was still in denial I think after that game 7 and thought they had it.

-21-
12-18-2015, 01:41 AM

Would you rather face the Clippers or the Thunder before GS?

cjw
12-18-2015, 09:40 AM
I haven't been keeping up with them lately but they looked like trash tonight. Iso after iso and stupid shots all night. KD and russ hate passing I guess. :lol

My favorite stretch was when Waiters had two wide open threes from the corner and bricked both. Cleveland fans LOVED it.