PDA

View Full Version : New Manu Article 12/18/2015

ElNono
12-18-2015, 01:51 AM
I'm playing better than I thought I could when the season started
by Manu Ginobili

I think it's pretty clear by now what are the strengths and weaknesses on the team. Taking into account the expectations or what we thought the team was going to look like, we're very good defensively, pretty strong. I think we're the top defensive team in the league, and if we're not, we're probably second or at most, third. We're a team that normally gets better as the months go by, but this time we started really well. That's what's earning us a lot of our wins and helping us having this kind of record (14-0 at home). Offensively I think we're a bit better, it took us a while to consolidate that aspect, not because we were playing badly, but because we were trying to find the right balance for the team. We added LaMarcus Aldridge, without the rest of the team feeling like they were losing their spot or importance. I think in the last few games, the starters are playing much better. And that allowed us to win four of our last five games by a wide margin. It helps when you're playing a lot of games, because if you look at the minutes played for our guys, it's probably rare that it was over 24. It was great to win in Atlanta by a big margin, same with Lakers, Philadelphia and Utah. They're games that we won by 30 points and it's just uncommon.

Within the last six games, we lost to Toronto, which was one of the poorest games we played lately, but even then, our record is 22-5. So I think it's very good. It's also true that we've not yet played against the Clippers, who we will play in a couple days, or against Cleveland or Golden State, who are the other couple of teams with solid records. We also have not played against Oklahoma City at home. We have to be cautious. A lot of times it's easy to lose against any team at home, but so far so good. We're doing well. It might sound unoriginal, but the reality is that we're calm, humble, and well aware this is just getting started. We don't have solutions to all the problems yet. We have a lot of room to improve. Heck, we're probably going to lose some games and improve at the same time, that's part of the equation. But taking a look at how everything is going right now, we've to be happy about it.

At a personal level, I feel great. I'm healthy, I'm shooting fairly well. Maybe in some game I get a bit too excited a shoot more than I should. I'm trying hard to limit the bad shots, but honestly sometimes I have like a flashback and I forget about that. But, in general, I'm satisfied with my performance so far, I'm playing better than I thought I could when the season started. And, on top of that, the team is full of optimism. So it's a great start. I've been feeling so good, I've even been attacking the basket, just in very limited occasions. I'm looking for the opportunity, and I don't do it as forcefully as I used to in my better years. It's also true that I have much more of a play maker role now, but that's because the second unit I'm part of is designed to be like that, with a point guard that's largely a shooter [Patty Mills] and we share that responsibility depending on the opponent and who's guarding us. He has a lot of trust in me, and I trust him a lot. That second unit is a well oiled machine. The only new guy in that group is David West, who's trying to adapt and figure out what's his role. We really have roles well distributed there, and we're happy with what everyone is doing.

We're aware that in this process we have to continue working on the structure so LaMarcus can keep growing game after game. We have to look for him more and more during games. He's key to our aspirations. He's a dominant player, and he has to be happy and feel useful. LaMarcus knows, or at least he has said so, that he didn't come here to score the 25 points per game he had in Portland, and that he's going to play less minutes because there's a lot of players, and because there's a rotation that Pop established and everyone respects. But Aldridge also knows that, in the long run, the main beneficiary will be himself, because he's going to have more energy during the games and his career will be longer. So we're trying to use him more and in better ways.

Kawhi Leonard is also important for us, because he does amazing things and you have to think: what a beast! We're enjoying his growth both on the court and as a leader on the team. He knows it and we let him know that too. You can see his hard work, his hunger and that he feels like he can do everything by himself all the time. It happened to me too, and also to Tim Duncan or Tony Parker, it's natural. When you're 23 years old you feel like you can tackle everything. But you also notice that he tries to insert that pause that both Pop and us continually tell him about, because of the tension it generates. We're thoroughly enjoying watching his talent. Besides of the 20, 22 points he's dropping every game, it's also amazing how much he limits the opponents. And that's not new because he was named the best defender in the league last year.

It's impossible not to talk about Stephen Curry because I think what he's doing is unique. Honestly, I haven't watched many Golden State games. I've been following the statistics more. But a player that hits five three pointers per game in almost all 26 games his team has played, is not normal at all. And if you consider he's shooting them at a 47% clip, in a team that was undefeated until a couple days ago and he's the top scorer in the NBA, at some point you have to start wondering if he should be taking every shot. Because the more he shoots the better the team is. He's shooting at such a high efficiency, with such a degree of difficulty and very important shots, that you feel every possesion has to go through his hands. I don't remember seeing such characteristics in another player. Curry is at a moment where you feel he can take and make any shot. It's amazing what he's doing. It's very peculiar, because his style of play is unique. I don't think I've seen a player so efficient off the dribble and so quick to release the shot. The world of basketball is enjoying him a lot.

In the last few days I was asked if it's more comfortable when the spotlight is somewhere else. The truth is that we're not the kind of team that's looking what's going on around us, we're pretty old and it's fairly clear to us how this whole situation works. We don't worry about the other teams much, or streaks and things like that. Obviously, it's impossible not to look at Golden State because they never lose, or, now, almost never. But I doubt being under or over the radar will affect us much. The last season, when we couldn't play too well, I don't think it was a matter of tension. We couldn't do it because of a lot of factors. The tension of being favorites didn't play against us last season, just like I don't think we're better now because the attention is somewhere else. I don't think it's a factor.

Without a doubt, last week was special because I was in a very nice situation a few days ago when, for the first time, I met face to face with a Ginobili. I knew there was one or two, but I never had one in front of me, so I was able to eventually put a face to the name. First name though, not last name like me. The kid is lovely. I asked him if they called him Gino or something like that, and he said they just call him Ginobili. So I told him that was alright and I though it was funny that he said that in such a natural way. I found out about the kid getting my name during my media apogee, back in the 2005 Finals, but since there was so much tension over the team and me, some of those things didn't really register. But 10 years later it feels somewhat strange, and I think in another 15 years it'll be even more strange. It's like starting to get a dimension of everything I lived through. It was pretty crazy to meet and finally put a face to the other Ginobili.

And these are also Agentinean days, of course. Because I was with Luis Scola in Toronto and in a couple of days I'll get together with Pablo Prigioni, who's coming to play with his Clippers. It's always nice to go dine with Luis, and I'm sure it will also be nice to do that with Pablo. It's a good way to recount what's happening to us. Respecting the tradition of sharing a moment, despite that we're always in contact. So I'm looking for a restaurant to take Pablo to dinner here in San Antonio. It's always nice to see them, because they're two very good friends.

---

Original article in Spanish:
http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1855222-estoy-jugando-mejor-de-lo-que-pense-al-inicio-de-la-temporada

As usual, excuse any typos and enjoy.

Vic Petro
12-18-2015, 02:16 AM
Thanks as always Nono :toast

Manu has been incredible this season. Like he took a dip in the Lazarus pits. Such a pleasure to watch him perform.

HI-FI
12-18-2015, 02:47 AM
Thanks Nono. What does Manu mean by "insert that pause"?

SPURt
12-18-2015, 03:12 AM
I was wondering the same thing reading that

TheMulletMan3000
12-18-2015, 03:35 AM
thanks nono :toast

dabom
12-18-2015, 03:55 AM
Some folks just name their kids after superstars. :lol

benefactor
12-18-2015, 07:02 AM
:toast

MultiTroll
12-18-2015, 07:06 AM
Great article.
Almost everything i wanted to hear.

ElNono, you sir have breakfast awaiting you at the Magnolia Pancake House.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-18-2015, 07:08 AM
Surprised Manu doesn't know the Spurs are No.1 defensively and by a huge margin, but he says he's following the Warriors stats.

MAxEric
12-18-2015, 08:05 AM
Don't know Why I have a feeling of hating that fucking scola!!!
We shouldn't lose the raptors!!

r0drig0lac
12-18-2015, 08:26 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/bobo.gif

weeks
12-18-2015, 09:03 AM
"LaMarcus knows, or at least he has said so, that he didn't come here to score the 25 points per game he had in Portland, and that he's going to play less minutes because there's a lot of players, and because there's a rotation that Pop established and everyone respects. But Aldridge also knows that, in the long run, the main beneficiary will be himself, because he's going to have more energy during the games and his career will be longer. So we're trying to use him more and in better ways."

hmmmmmm :stirpot:

TXstbobcat
12-18-2015, 10:50 AM
Thank you ElNono!!

ElNono
12-18-2015, 10:55 AM

I was wondering the same thing reading that

I think it means to slow down sometimes, survey the situation instead of trying to be a bull in a china shop every time. All the greats really have that, including our Big 3.

ElNono
12-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Great article.

I'll bring the Cinnamon cornflakes :toast

loveforthegame
12-18-2015, 11:03 AM
Good read as always. Thanks for posting. :tu

look_at_g_shred
12-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Thanks No!

RD2191
12-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Thanks OP, although I'm still pissed you didn't let patty know I thought he was trash.

K...
12-18-2015, 11:40 AM
[B]

Without a doubt, last week was special because I was in a very nice situation a few days ago when, for the first time, I met face to face with a Ginobili. I knew there was one or two, but I never had one in front of me, so I was able to eventually put a face to the name. First name though, not last name like me. The kid is lovely. I.

Are we sure he's not acknowledging his illegitimate kids? Just one or two Manu? C'mon......

el contusione
12-18-2015, 11:49 AM
Thank you.. Great read.. :worthy: MANU

From Downtown
12-18-2015, 12:33 PM
Thanks as always Nono

daledondale
12-18-2015, 01:18 PM
Thank you.. Great read.. :worthy: MANU

SAGirl
12-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Thanks for sharing. Manu is so candid!
Love that he said the team is not complacent and that it is still looking to improve.
He sounds so much better than he did last season mentally, and as healthy as he's ever been.

I also think the "pause" refers to surveying the situation, in reality Leonard feels like he could take the other team on without help,like all great athletes in their primes, but I guess Pop doesn't want him to go full kobesque out there and wants him to evaluate what is the best move. And he's been great in getting others involved as well as knowing when to take over. He's improved, bc in the beginning the SL was not playing with each other and was super stagnant.

ducks
12-18-2015, 03:41 PM
Maybe in some game I get a bit too excited a shoot more than I should. I'm trying hard to limit the bad shots, but honestly sometimes I have like a flashback and I forget about that.

Work on it

siraulo23
12-18-2015, 05:11 PM
:tu

Splits
12-18-2015, 05:29 PM
No mention of BOBAN? Hater.

EVAY
12-18-2015, 06:07 PM
Always love reading the articles from Manu. Thanks again, Nono.

wildbill2u
12-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Great article.

How do you get in there without a reservation? I heard about their corned beef hash and have tried to eat there every time I come to SA to visit my daughter--but the lines/waiting times are always so long I can't handle it at 75 y.0. Weekdays are just so busy I wouldn't even try during the weekends, eh?

I. Hustle
12-18-2015, 06:44 PM
How do you get in there without a reservation? I heard about their corned beef hash and have tried to eat there every time I come to SA to visit my daughter--but the lines/waiting times are always so long I can't handle it at 75 y.0. Weekdays are just so busy I wouldn't even try during the weekends, eh?

I use an app that lets you skip wait. It lets you enter your name and tells you the wait time.

ElNono
12-18-2015, 07:08 PM
I might have to check out that place, tbh