PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Poopovich pooping it up vs LAC per par

TheGreatYacht
12-18-2015, 10:16 PM
Doc > Pop. It's settled. Never seen a coach stop his team's own run with hack-a-player.... Cost the Spurs a game last series, and he wants to repeat the sequence again

TheMulletMan3000
12-18-2015, 10:17 PM
agree. pissed beyond belief

TheGreatYacht
12-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Spurs are up 8, 10-0 run in the fourth quarter.... And you didn't even let the clock run, just let them comeback why don't you. Worst thing about this is that he started hacking intentionally and the team wasn't even in the bonus yet :lol clear stage of being senile

objective
12-18-2015, 10:18 PM
Hacking when down and the other team is shredding the defense = good

Hacking when up = PURE IDIOCY

Wildcat67
12-18-2015, 10:58 PM
First he starts hacking when the Clips took out their starters, which is the point we should have been able to gain ground with our bench. Then when they take Jordan out and we play straight up the bench does what it was supposed to do the whole time for a short period going on a 10-0 run opening up an 8 point lead and gaining rhythm and playing good D for the first time in the game. Start of the 4th, all the momentum in the world, the crowd is into it, you immediatly start hacking stopping the clock, ruining our offensive rhythm making us go against a set defense every time. We lose half our lead, meaning by the time we stopped hacking the only accomplishments were;

1. Total loss of offensive rhythm
2. Clips in the bonus
3. Wasted minutes of our bench
4. Reduced lead
5. Clips had more time on the clock

How a man can be so brilliant most of the time and with one thing be so stubbornly stupid is mind boggling. The most infuriating part is this has been the result the last 3 times we have tried this, we lost the 3 seed last year cause of it and probably lost the Clips series last year because of it, yet he thought it was a good idea to do it again.

TheGreatYacht
12-18-2015, 11:11 PM
It worked this time, but you all saw LAC's record when Jordan takes 15+ free throws, they were undefeated before this game. Parker can't bail the team out with late shots every game... The bench was rolling to start the fourth and completely went dry during the Hacking sequence

Floyd Pacquiao
12-18-2015, 11:18 PM
Phil Jackson was right, Pock face and his staff are the simulator krew.

ajh18
12-18-2015, 11:24 PM
Hack-a-Jordan is the right strategy if you're a) behind and trying to catch up or b) trying to stop a run by the other team. I'm usually not against it because it plays the math, and it takes advantage of the other team not being to perform a fundamental skill in the game.

The problem in the 4th quarter today was that it stopped OUR momentum, was done with Chris Paul off the court (which lowers their expected value on a possession), and was done so early in the quarter that it gave their better free throw shooters more trips to the line throughout the quarter. Really poor timing on employing it I thought.

tmtcsc
12-18-2015, 11:29 PM
Its frustrating to watch that bullshit. It shows a total lack of confidence in your team when you resort to that nonsense. He abuses the tactic at the detriment of his own players. Total crap. I agree that his coaching cost the Spurs game 6 last year in the Clippers series.

SnakeBoy
12-18-2015, 11:31 PM
Did the Spurs lose?

Mr. Body
12-18-2015, 11:31 PM
I don't get why he's such a fucking idiot about this.

r0drig0lac
12-18-2015, 11:32 PM
lol wait until the hack ezeli/Bogut since the first quarter in the game gsw

steeledl
12-18-2015, 11:33 PM
Premature ejaculation... Pops method proved elite tbh.

RD2191
12-18-2015, 11:37 PM
For once, tbh. Clips were like 15-0 when Jordan would shoot 15+ ft's or some shit like that.

Wildcat67
12-18-2015, 11:40 PM

Uh....no. The only reason he stopped is cause they took him out of the game, which was just in time for the players to get back in rhythm and push the lead back up.

SAGirl
12-18-2015, 11:42 PM
It worked this time, but you all saw LAC's record when Jordan takes 15+ free throws, they were undefeated before this game. Parker can't bail the team out with late shots every game... The bench was rolling to start the fourth and completely went dry during the Hacking sequence
I would not say it worked this game.
It was really Tony getting super clutch and some TD putbacks and some shots made by LMA.
It had nothing to do with Pop.

Like someone in the thread said, in this particular game I think Pop did it bc the refs were screwing us up.

I remember last season Pop said that "if they are going to be calling fouls, then at least I choose who is going to be shooting those fouls."

I know in the playoffs he did it to stop fastbreaks and transition scoring. He said something to the effect of our transition defense being terrible in that series.

Still I agree with everyone else:

It kills our own momentum, our transition scoring opportunities, where Kawhi excels. Might I remind everyone that one of Simms baskets was the easiest dunk you will ever see out of a steal.

With all the hacking you prevent opportunities for defensive plays that kickstart us.

Still it is a win, but it was an ugly game, and I guess Pop can't help himself on hacking Jordan when we play Clippers.

:wakeup

UNT Eagles 2016
12-18-2015, 11:43 PM
Doc > Pop. It's settled. Never seen a coach stop his team's own run with hack-a-player.... Cost the Spurs a game last series, and he wants to repeat the sequence again
yep

DenialTwist
12-18-2015, 11:57 PM
Its frustrating to watch that bullshit. It shows a total lack of confidence in your team when you resort to that nonsense. He abuses the tactic at the detriment of his own players. Total crap. I agree that his coaching cost the Spurs game 6 last year in the Clippers series.

I agree. It shows a lack of confidence in your team and their defensive strategy. The Spurs winning despite the hack a jordan will only make Pop use the same tired method again.

ajh18
12-19-2015, 12:11 AM
I agree. It shows a lack of confidence in your team and their defensive strategy. The Spurs winning despite the hack a jordan will only make Pop use the same tired method again.

I don't really agree in the "lack of confidence" thing. To me, that kind of feels like arguing that a coach telling their team to "minimize their long-twos" equals him not having confidence in their shooting. It's not that, it's just playing the math. So is Hack-a-Jordan.

I think it just needs to be used situationally. As I said earlier, the use of it in the fourth tonight was awful. You don't use the strategy when your team has momentum, when Paul is off the court (which itself alters the math around expected value of a possession), or so early in a quarter that it increases the number of foul shots that much better fouls shooters get.

Horse
12-19-2015, 12:18 AM
As much as we have used it to our advantage and as much as that piece of shit should learn to shoot fts it needs to go. Unwatchable.

ajh18
12-19-2015, 12:32 AM
As much as we have used it to our advantage and as much as that piece of shit should learn to shoot fts it needs to go. Unwatchable.

See, I just don't get this. It's a basic basketball skill. If his being terrible at it is killing the game, the fault is on Doc for not pulling him out.

If a team wanted to play five big centers, but then it got really ugly because they couldn't dribble and other teams would full court press them, then CHANGE the lineup. Don't eliminate the full court press cause it's ugly when the team doesn't have the skills to break it!

Ibleedslvrnblk
12-19-2015, 09:02 AM
The game became so boring with Hack a Jordan I turned it off. After ten minutes of it I felt I didn`t care if the Spurs won. It clearly showed the Spurs got out of rhythm too. I hate it with a passion....

Bartleby
12-19-2015, 09:15 AM
What a bunch of whiny crybabies. Seriously.

Mel_13
12-19-2015, 09:22 AM
Doc > Pop.

:lmao

Solid D
12-19-2015, 09:24 AM
In doing so, he honored Don Nelson, old number 19, who was in attendance sitting with RC. Pop did him proud. As they say, it is an ugly baby...but it's his.

boutons_deux
12-19-2015, 09:30 AM
Did the Spurs lose?

won, in spite of Pop

did Spurs win first round 2015?

exstatic
12-19-2015, 09:30 AM

Clips shot 55% in the first half. I wouldn't have a lot of confidence in the Spurs defense, either. That version of 'horns' that they run with Paul, Griffin, and CLANK is almost unsolvable. You can't go under, or Paul shoots a 3 ball. If you go over and follow him, the big cannot contest or it's a lob dunk. It's almost like that play that OKC ran in 2012 where they had Harden feeding into a Durant/WB pick and roll, except we can STOP the LAC play by HACKING FUCKING JORDAN. Be glad that he's a shitty shooter.

hater
12-19-2015, 09:42 AM
It might have been the fact that Jordan was shooting much more horrible than usual tbh.

exstatic
12-19-2015, 09:46 AM
It might have been the fact that Jordan was shooting much more horrible than usual tbh.

His season FT% is 39%. He shot 8-20 last night, or 40%. He's had WAY worse nights at the line than last night.

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-19-2015, 09:48 AM
Clippers offense was unstoppable until hacking Jordan. Not so much in the 4th.

bic50
12-19-2015, 11:11 AM
Clippers offense was unstoppable until hacking Jordan. Not so much in the 4th.

DarrinS
12-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Did the Spurs lose?

houston spurs fan
12-19-2015, 11:23 AM
Idiots saying Doc is better than Pop... Wtf?

spursistan
12-19-2015, 11:42 AM
the Clippers were threatening to blow it open at the near end of 3rd Q when they went up 6..that's the only juncture i would give Pop credit for employing the hack strategy..but he got cute again after we went up 8 on a run at the opening of the fourth..He sould have ridden the offensive momentum of that unit as the Clipps bench went cold..we dodged that open 3 by Wesley Johnson at 101-105 and that basically saved Pop ass from Game 6 redux...I'm really not confident in his coaching vs this team and that's why would rather get OKC..