PDA

View Full Version : AP: Chicago's WNBA Franchise to Be Called Sky

boutons
09-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Chicago's WNBA Franchise to Be Called Sky
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 7:23 p.m. ET

CHICAGO (AP) -- With the city's famous skyline as a backdrop, Chicago's WNBA franchise announced Tuesday the new team will be called the Sky, with light blue and yellow as its colors.

The team has been without a moniker since February, when the league awarded real estate developer Michael Alter an expansion franchise to begin play next year.

The organization wanted a name that was distinctively Chicago and conveyed a sense of high energy, team CEO and president Margaret Stender said.

She joked that discarded choices included the Loopsters and the Deep Dishes, references to the business district and the city's preferred style of pizza. The group choosing the name wanted to avoid connections to the city's weather or the Great Chicago Fire, but struggled to come up with something appropriate.

''And then it dawned on us, there it is,'' Stender said, pointing to the skyline behind her. ''Everything that Chicago stands for. How it towers, how it inspires, its character, how it stands to face the world.''

The name, team colors and logo were revealed at a fan appreciation event held outside the Adler Planetarium, which sits on Lake Michigan just south of downtown. The Sky logo includes a basketball nestled in the clouds above a skyscraper that forms the letter ''K.''

NBA Hall of Famer Dave Cowens was previously named general manager and coach of the team, which will play at the UIC Pavilion. Located on the campus of the University of Illinois at Chicago, the building seats about 6,500 fans.

Stender said about 1,000 season tickets have already been sold, and the goal is to total 2,500 to 3,000 before play begins.

Audrey Reynolds, 23, of Long Grove, sported a Chicago 2006 WNBA shirt at the event. A fan of professional and college basketball, Reynolds said she has been waiting for Chicago to get a franchise since the league began play in 1997.

''The players are all really cool, they're really accessible. You can get really good seats to games. And the basketball is great,'' Reynolds said.

Scott Williams, 41, of Joliet, brought his daughter and her teammate on the basketball team he coaches to the announcement.

The girls were eager to participate in a basketball clinic following afterward the event. The clinic was conducted by several WNBA stars, including Diana Taurasi of the Phoenix Mercury.

Briana Williams, 13, said she likes the ''players and the sportsmanship'' in the WNBA.

Her father -- already a season ticket holder -- said he likes that the WNBA inspires his daughter and her friend to believe they could also play professional basketball someday.

Plus, going to the games, he said, ''creates family memories. ... The (WNBA's) emphasis is on families because it's affordable.''

Trainwreck2100
09-21-2005, 01:06 AM
WGAF

a

duncan_21
09-21-2005, 06:21 AM
wtf, when will this league die?

Rescueone
09-27-2005, 09:58 AM
wtf, when will this league die?

When women stop playing Basketball! It's not going to happen, so get use to it! The question to you is why do you want the league to go under?

MiNuS
09-27-2005, 11:37 AM
the whole WNBA season and playoffs went on without being noticed! When are people going to understand that women don't compete at the same level as men do and look stupid doing so.

FromWayDowntown
09-27-2005, 02:19 PM
the whole WNBA season and playoffs went on without being noticed! When are people going to understand that women don't compete at the same level as men do and look stupid doing so.

Why is it that some are so hostile to women's sports? Is it some inadequacy thing or is it just a need to rant against the world?

If some people want to spend money to put on women's athletics and others are willing to spend money to go see those events, what's the problem? They may be telling you it's out there, but they're not, by any means, making you watch it or pay for it.

Spurminator
09-27-2005, 02:26 PM
We're on the same wavelength again, FWD...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=495449&postcount=36

FromWayDowntown
09-27-2005, 03:41 PM
We're on the same wavelength again, FWD...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=495449&postcount=36

Well, I've just been following you around the board and stealing all of your takes. :hat

Actually, I'm happy to know that I'm not alone in thinking that way, spurm!!

duncan_21
09-27-2005, 04:43 PM
When women stop playing Basketball! It's not going to happen, so get use to it! The question to you is why do you want the league to go under?

The reason, which is the same with hockey is when I go to espn and try to get the score of sports I care about they got to go thru the womens bball and hockey. I hate waiting for that damn score to come up when all of what 2 people like wnba and hockey?

And I also hate hearing about it. Both sports don't bother me that much, I simply do what 99.99999999999% of the sports fans out there do, and turn the channel.

King
09-28-2005, 03:17 PM
The reason, which is the same with hockey is when I go to espn and try to get the score of sports I care about they got to go thru the womens bball and hockey. I hate waiting for that damn score to come up when all of what 2 people like wnba and hockey?

And I also hate hearing about it. Both sports don't bother me that much, I simply do what 99.99999999999% of the sports fans out there do, and turn the channel.

There's barely any coverage of WNBA, and honestly, NHL on Sportscenter and such. Maybe a play or two, and then the score. Don't act like you have to sit through 20 minutes of WNBA highlights, when in actuality, you sit through about one minute.

cheguevara
09-28-2005, 03:26 PM
thank God for women + sports. Or else we'd all be dating 300 pound elephants like minusplus

Marklar MM
09-28-2005, 03:37 PM
I doubt female sports will kick off until they get some "cha-ching" babes.

duncan_21
09-28-2005, 04:15 PM
There's barely any coverage of WNBA, and honestly, NHL on Sportscenter and such. Maybe a play or two, and then the score. Don't act like you have to sit through 20 minutes of WNBA highlights, when in actuality, you sit through about one minute.

I'm talking about the scores on the bottom of espnnews.