PDA

View Full Version : Will the Real MVP Please Stand Up? - Chicago Tribune Article - 5/28/1994

Silver&Black Warrior
12-20-2015, 08:40 PM
Just thought I would take my fellow Silver and Black brethren on a trip back in time to the final days of the 1993 - 1994 season during one of the closest MVP races in NBA history between Hakeem and David. I don't think most people outside of San Antonio remember how dominant David was in 1994. It could be easily deemed the best season of his career even though he wins MVP in '95. Without further ado, lets remember 1994.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-03-28/sports/9403280103_1_mvp-award-david-robinson-shaquille-o-neal

Blue Duck
12-20-2015, 10:41 PM
Wow, what a blast from the past! I loved the nba then, so many personalities, and great parody. If memory serves me, our guys lost to the jazz in round 1 that year, but I was just happy that we could hang with the big dogs of the western conference at that time. The following year, Sean ****** returned, the taco cabana commercials started and the spurs went 62-20 before losing to the rockets in the WCF. Y'all remember that Sean was headed to Houston but there was some problem with his physical and the deal fell through. I'm sure it was related to his kidney problems looking back. But imagine? No memorial day miracle, no bill and Sean. Anyways, terrifically, awesome find, you took me back down memory lane with that one, thanks Silver&Black!

daslicer
12-21-2015, 01:36 AM
Wow, what a blast from the past! I loved the nba then, so many personalities, and great parody. If memory serves me, our guys lost to the jazz in round 1 that year, but I was just happy that we could hang with the big dogs of the western conference at that time. The following year, Sean ****** returned, the taco cabana commercials started and the spurs went 62-20 before losing to the rockets in the WCF. Y'all remember that Sean was headed to Houston but there was some problem with his physical and the deal fell through. I'm sure it was related to his kidney problems looking back. But imagine? No memorial day miracle, no bill and Sean. Anyways, terrifically, awesome find, you took me back down memory lane with that one, thanks Silver&Black!

Yes those were great times. That was the year I became a Spurs fan. As a kid I hated Shaq just couldn't stand him so one day I saw David Robinson kick his ass during a game on NBC and instantly became a fan of the Spurs.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-21-2015, 01:44 AM
I was too busy coming out of the womb that spring to care about basketball

Spurtacular
12-21-2015, 02:43 AM
I had forgotten how Pippen had come on as a serious MVP caliber player starting at the all star break. Maybe Kawhi will find yet another gear in that vein.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
12-21-2015, 08:25 AM
Just thought I would take my fellow Silver and Black brethren on a trip back in time to the final days of the 1993 - 1994 season during one of the closest MVP races in NBA history between Hakeem and David. I don't think most people outside of San Antonio remember how dominant David was in 1994. It could be easily deemed the best season of his career even though he wins MVP in '95. Without further ado, lets remember 1994.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1994-03-28/sports/9403280103_1_mvp-award-david-robinson-shaquille-o-neal

The NBA screwed up the MVP rewards. The year Hakeem won it, Robinson should have won it. And the year Robinson won it, Hakeem should have won it. They gave Robinson the MVP in 95 because they knew they snowed him in 94.

Chinook
12-21-2015, 08:36 AM
:lol at that article lambasting Shaq when he turned out to be the best of all of the players mentioned. But yeah, Prime Robinson was definitely a treat to see even in Youtube videos. He played in the wrong era; he's have a chance at being the GOAT if he played in today's fast-paced era that's rewarding to nice guys.

lefty
12-21-2015, 08:51 AM
So Hakeem fistfucked David in 95

Big deal

Russo21
12-21-2015, 10:27 AM
Sometimes they do give awards to players if they have a great season plus also feel they were so close to winning the award or possibly got snubbed the previous year. But Dave and Hakeem got 1 MVP each and 2 Championships each. Doesn't matter if the year they won their MVP awards in hindsight could be switched. Thing are a lot different in hindsight. (IMO Malone shouldn't have won MVP in 99 over Duncan and Mourning, maybe they thought he shoulda won in 98 over Jordan and gifted the 99 MVP to him to make up for it, It does happen) It must be hard to judge these awards. IMO Malone had a better season in 98 than he did in 99.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_1999.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_1998.html#mvp

Interesting stats to read there. I say Malone shoulda beat MJ in 98 and Duncan shoulda beat Malone in 99. But ultimately MJ and Duncan had the last laugh winning the championship and finals MVP's instead :)