PDA

View Full Version : NBA.Com Ranks players 33 and older - Tony, Manu in the Top Ten. No Timmy!!!

BillMc
12-21-2015, 11:25 AM
http://www.nba.com/2015/news/12/19/old-school-power-rankings-week-5/?iref:nba:story_page:trending

The NBA.Com has an "Old School" Power Rankings which ranks players 33 and older. In the latest Top Ten you've got Tony and Manu, but no Timmy.....:( This is made worse by Kobe being ranked fairly high (4).

No Duncan? Blasphemy! Gotta think it was because Timmy rested a game last week (and this ranking is weighted towards recent production), and/or because he's not asked to score much anymore.

Still...:ihit

BatManu20
12-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Probably due to his pedestrian stat line this season, although it's due to us not needing him to score or play as much. But whatever, Timmy doesn't care. All bout winning #6.

EVAY
12-21-2015, 11:30 AM
http://www.nba.com/2015/news/12/19/old-school-power-rankings-week-5/?iref:nba:story_page:trending

The NBA.Com has an "Old School" Power Rankings which ranks players 33 and older. In the latest Top Ten you've got Tony and Manu, but no Timmy.....:( This is made worse by Kobe being ranked fairly high (4).

No Duncan? Blasphemy! Gotta think it was because Timmy rested a game last week (and this ranking is weighted towards recent production), and/or because he's not asked to score much anymore.

Agreed. I don't care what the reason is, and I don't care whether or not Tim cares...it is just wrong and confirms the bias in over-reliance on stats.

BillMc
12-21-2015, 11:34 AM
Agreed. I don't care what the reason is, and I don't care whether or not Tim cares...it is just wrong and confirms the bias in over-reliance on stats.

This. How many GM's would take this season's Kobe over this season's Duncan? Very few, I'd imagine.

EVAY
12-21-2015, 11:35 AM
This. How many GM's would take this season's Kobe over this season's Duncan? Very few, I'd imagine.

no shit.

FromWayDowntown
12-21-2015, 11:43 AM
It's probably just a ploy to gain readership. That list got more clicks because of Duncan's exclusion than it ever would have gotten.

Mission accomplished for the writer.

Chinook
12-21-2015, 11:45 AM
:lol Can't help putting Kobe over Tim one last time.

Chinook
12-21-2015, 11:47 AM
Just saw the Kobe dunk for the first time. You'd think it was Ginobili-over-Bosh the way it's been hyped.

Cry Havoc
12-21-2015, 12:17 PM
It's probably just a ploy to gain readership. That list got more clicks because of Duncan's exclusion than it ever would have gotten.

Fireball
12-21-2015, 01:24 PM
its the rankings for last week ... raw stats were not impressive and Timmy sat out a game ... so its understandable

hater
12-21-2015, 01:28 PM
:lol fireball dropping a bucket of cold water in the fire

SASdynasty!
12-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Tim's still a piece we can't win without (has been for many years). Still doesn't make him better than Tony at this point, no shame in it.

spursistan
12-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Pop should take a game to experiment with higher usage of Timmy to see what he has in him this season offensively..Still, I'm not worried TD always takes it up a notch in the playoffs and this preservation plan should help ..

Hoops Czar
12-21-2015, 01:54 PM

Of course, you'd have to actually click on the article to see Duncan wasn't included so I'm guessing probably not.

Mr Bones
12-21-2015, 02:24 PM
His traditional stat line of points & rebounds per game looks pedestrian, but he still has the highest Defensive Rating in the entire NBA (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM). I don't view that stat as infallible, but it's still pretty impressive that Tim leads by a pretty significant margin...

Mr Bones
12-21-2015, 02:28 PM
its the rankings for last week ... raw stats were not impressive and Timmy sat out a game ... so its understandable

Yeah, but it says this at the top of the article:

Notes: Statistics are through games of Dec. 17. Rankings are based on entire regular season with heavy emphasis on recent play.
Any player who turns 33 during the regular season can be added to the Old School Power Rankings

YGWHI
12-21-2015, 03:00 PM
His traditional stat line of points & rebounds per game looks pedestrian, but he still has the highest Defensive Rating in the entire NBA (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM). I don't view that stat as infallible, but it's still pretty impressive that Tim leads by a pretty significant margin...

39 years old leading the league in DRPM and DBPM, he's the Greatest Of All Time. :flag:

Mel_13
12-21-2015, 03:02 PM
Meh, let the Lakers fans have this one. They have so little in this holiday season.

Mr Bones
12-21-2015, 03:03 PM
Meh, let the Lakers fans have this one. They have so little in this holiday season.

:bobo:lol

Fireball
12-21-2015, 03:09 PM
Yeah, but it says this at the top of the article:

Notes: Statistics are through games of Dec. 17. Rankings are based on entire regular season with heavy emphasis on recent play.
Any player who turns 33 during the regular season can be added to the Old School Power Rankings

hmmm ... then these rankings are INACCEPTABLE!!! :pctoss

Mr Bones
12-21-2015, 03:15 PM
hmmm ... then these rankings are INACCEPTABLE!!! :pctoss

:lol

Spurtacular
12-21-2015, 05:04 PM
Kobe was shooting 32 FG last I checked. Maybe, it's ticked up a few points; but putting him over anyone is highly suspicious.

littlecoyotecoin
12-21-2015, 05:19 PM

Whoever they are, Jimmer's agent needs to get on the horn with them, stat!

Old School 44
12-21-2015, 05:22 PM

For the record, I had nothing to do with these!
:bobo

BillMc
12-21-2015, 05:24 PM

:lol That's a relief off my mind.

Mel_13
12-21-2015, 05:25 PM

:lol

FromWayDowntown
12-21-2015, 05:31 PM
Of course, you'd have to actually click on the article to see Duncan wasn't included so I'm guessing probably not.

Except that someone clicked on the article, noticed Duncan's omission, made a deal about it, and fans are now aware of the omission (and many have probably clicked through to see if there's some explanation). And it may draw some additional traffic on its next publication from those who are up in arms (or even amusedly surprised) at who wasn't on the list.

So, I'd be pretty confident that a list that most nobody had heard of a week ago has seen/will see a spike in traffic owing to the reaction from stories like the one that began this thread.

T_L_P
12-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Tim's still a piece we can't win without (has been for many years). Still doesn't make him better than Tony at this point, no shame in it.

2015-16 RPM: Duncan is 9th in the league with a 5.69, Parker is 64th with a 1.55

On/Off: Duncan leads Spurs starters with a +7.4, Parker is at a -1.4

Duncan/Parker split most box-score derived metrics this season (Parker is better in PER and WS, Duncan is better in Box +/- and WS/48).

And those box score stats don't take into account Duncan's defense or the fact that he is our leader.

Tony's comeback has been awesome. But you're lying to yourself if you think Parker is gonna be more valuable than Tim in a Playoff series, tbh.

GSH
12-21-2015, 07:10 PM

LOL! Oops.

Kawhitstorm
12-21-2015, 07:41 PM
It's pretty clear the NBA now caters to Chinese fans more so than those in the States

Russ
12-21-2015, 08:50 PM
Scola's on the list . . . :bobo

DMC
12-21-2015, 09:49 PM
Well how else do you expect writers to form those opinions? If rankings weren't based on stats, it would all be conjecture and would be pointless.

DMC
12-21-2015, 09:51 PM
Faulty reasoning easily debunked by videos that get millions of views. People aren't just browsing. Besides, these change weekly.

aal04
12-21-2015, 10:06 PM
This is probably the only week where Kobe has played decent.

Every other week Kobe would get WC player of the week if he sat on the bench.

SASdynasty!
12-22-2015, 11:01 AM
2015-16 RPM: Duncan is 9th in the league with a 5.69, Parker is 64th with a 1.55

On/Off: Duncan leads Spurs starters with a +7.4, Parker is at a -1.4

Duncan/Parker split most box-score derived metrics this season (Parker is better in PER and WS, Duncan is better in Box +/- and WS/48).

And those box score stats don't take into account Duncan's defense or the fact that he is our leader.

Tony's comeback has been awesome. But you're lying to yourself if you think Parker is gonna be more valuable than Tim in a Playoff series, tbh.
First of all, Duncan's not better in WS/48:

Parker: .228
Duncan: .197

Parker also has a better TS%:

Parker: .607
Duncan: .566

This is why I don't love getting into too many advanced metrics. There's too much overlap and people use like 3 or 4 selective ones to prove their points, while excluding 3 or 4 others that don't support their argument. The more advanced metrics you start throwing around, the easier it is to argue anything.

Russo21
12-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Fuckers!! Oh well in a few months they can rank players 40 years and over and we'll see who comes out on top then! Geez just reading that I can't believe how fucken good Duncan is approaching 40! Wow!

EVAY
12-22-2015, 11:23 PM
Well how else do you expect writers to form those opinions? If rankings weren't based on stats, it would all be conjecture and would be pointless.

I don't honestly 'expect' sports writers to do much of anything. But given the importance of Tim's contribution to this team, not always reflected in stats, I would think it possible that a thoughtful, unbiased observer of NBA team members over the age of 33 would recognize that Duncan is clearly one of the top ten.

It would not be conjecture. It would not be pointless.

It would be accurate.

DMC
12-22-2015, 11:48 PM
I don't honestly 'expect' sports writers to do much of anything. But given the importance of Tim's contribution to this team, not always reflected in stats, I would think it possible that a thoughtful, unbiased observer of NBA team members over the age of 33 would recognize that Duncan is clearly one of the top ten.

It would not be conjecture. It would not be pointless.

It would be accurate.
The only way that could happen would be for them to write an article about it, and unless their readers also love Tim Duncan and followed his every career move, he'll have to use stats to support his position.

gospursgojas
12-23-2015, 07:42 PM
They are holding out Tim for the 43 and older list.

emanueldavidginobili
12-23-2015, 07:51 PM
It's understandable it's based off every weeks and this week Tim sat out a game and averaged 8-5-2