PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi will win the MVP if....

Spurtacular
12-22-2015, 07:33 PM
Kawhi will win the MVP if Curry misses about 15 games or more.

lilbthebasedgod
12-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Still no

rasuo214
12-22-2015, 07:35 PM
If Kawhi can dominate Curry in the SA-GSW matchups he can certainly boost his chances. That's basically what won him DPOY.

spursistan
12-22-2015, 07:40 PM
(a) Curry out for +15 games + come down to earth right after.

or

(b) Spurs +65 wins + top seed (or close 2nd) + Kawhi outplaying Curry in their H2H..

Xevious
12-22-2015, 07:41 PM
Spurs would have to overtake GS for the top seed for that to even be a consideration.

Spurtacular
12-22-2015, 07:43 PM

or

(b) Spurs +65 wins + top seed + Kawhi outplaying Curry in their H2H..

Dunno that Kawhi has to outshine Curry by that much in H2H. Kawhi is a huge difference maker on both sides of the ball. Curry is just having an unprecedented offensive season though. I think if Kawhi marginally improves and Curry marginally decreases offensive output, the race could be much tighter than people expect.

100%duncan
12-22-2015, 07:45 PM

or

(b) Spurs +65 wins + top seed (or close 2nd) + Kawhi outplaying Curry in their H2H..

UNT Eagles 2016
12-22-2015, 07:53 PM

or

Probably the best bet, or

(c) in any event the Spurs get the 1 seed over GSW, Kawhi will get it.

urunobili
12-22-2015, 07:54 PM
I don't think it'd be outrageous if the voting committee starts taking into consideration both sides of the ball. But since there is not a "offensive player of the year" to counterpart the defensive one, the MVP is mostly about the best offensive player anyway.

SAGirl
12-22-2015, 08:06 PM
I don't think it'd be outrageous if the voting committee starts taking into consideration both sides of the ball. But since there is not a "offensive player of the year" to counterpart the defensive one, the MVP is mostly about the best offensive player anyway.
There is the scoring champion ... but Curry is more than just a scorer. The gravity he has is the center of GSW offense.

Kawhi is a very different player obviously, his offensive pull is not the epicenter of the Spurs. However, he's impactful in every sense of the game, and has been truly remarkable this season.

It will require Curry coming down to earth, and GSW to hit a skid, which may not happen. Curry has been historical this season...

lilbthebasedgod
12-22-2015, 08:11 PM
Kawhi's scoring average going up a bunch through the season + Curry's coming down a few + Spurs catching up to warriors is the only chance.

LarryDavid
12-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Spurs would have to overtake GS for the top seed for that to even be a consideration.

^^^

Kawhitstorm
12-22-2015, 08:32 PM
If the Spurs finish w/ a better record. That's how Rose won it over LeBron (2011), Kobe over Chris Paul (2008), Curry over Harden (2015), Nash over Kobe (2006) ...etc.

Kawhi's best hope is for it to unfold like the 2007-08 MVP race b/c Kobe/CP3 when the Lakers overtook the Hornets during the season finale after Chris Paul had been putting on a historic season & running away w/ the #1 seed before the Lakers traded for Pau. In reality Kawhi is more like KG on the 2007-08 Celtics as the best 2 way player in the league.

Bryant received 82-first-place votes and 1,105 points in the media vote. He was followed by New Orleans' Chris Paul (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3930) (28 and 889), Boston's Kevin Garnett (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3007) (15 and 670) and Cleveland's LeBron James (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3704) (1 and 438).

http://www.nba.com/features/player_rankings.html

baseline bum
12-22-2015, 09:34 PM
If Curry has unprotected sex with Magic and LeBron blows out his knee.

DJR210
12-23-2015, 04:01 AM

:lol

Fireball
12-23-2015, 05:20 AM
best record would give him a slight chance ... but we are still due for the annual injury bug where several Spurs are out with small injuries at the same time, so I doubt it heavily

gambit1990
12-23-2015, 05:33 AM
it's amazing tbh... if not for curry kawhi would be the #1 candidate.

i hate how some people on here and everyone on reddit say the spurs made kawhi. we helped a lot but you can't teach the drive/work ethic kawhi has.

romain.star
12-23-2015, 07:01 AM
it's amazing tbh... if not for curry kawhi would be the #1 candidate.

i hate how some people on here and everyone on reddit say the spurs made kawhi. we helped a lot but you can't teach the drive/work ethic kawhi has.

Ok but what have you done?

dabom
12-23-2015, 07:12 AM
He's a Spurs fan you stinky Frenchy.

aal04
12-23-2015, 07:22 AM
If curry continues his form, prime MJ wouldnt even win MVP.

Pako
12-23-2015, 08:01 AM
If Kawhi can dominate Curry in the SA-GSW matchups he can certainly boost his chances. That's basically what won him DPOY.
This. Specially if he can make it difficult for Curry to score just like what he did to KD, PG, CA, & LJ.

loveforthegame
12-23-2015, 12:37 PM
A lot of season left but it's petty incredible he's even being talked about as a candidate right now. Even crazier all the talk that he'd be #1 if it weren't for Curry.

SanAntonioSpurs23
12-23-2015, 12:43 PM

:lol

spursistan
12-23-2015, 12:47 PM
FWIW, Kawhi will get his chance at this award someday, finishing 2nd or 3rd will set him up greatly next season..he is still relatively very young. Curry won it out of nowhere at age 27, KL isn't even 25 yet..As long as the Pelicans aren't league juggernaut yet,and if AD keep missing games at his seasonal rate, Kawhi will be in the mix especially if he keeps developing this fast he will be a scary finished product by his peak time 27/28 yo......

FromWayDowntown
12-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Given all the acclaim this Warriors team has (rightfully) gotten, I'd think that if the Spurs somehow chased them down and ended up with the best record in the league AND if that came with Kawhi putting up big numbers while remaining a defensive jedi (as he has been so far), he'd at least have a reasonable chance. I don't think the first condition will occur, but if it does -- particularly without a significant injury to Curry (which I certainly am not hoping for) -- his case to win (and not just be considered) becomes very strong.

YGWHI
12-23-2015, 01:33 PM
A lot of season left but it's petty incredible he's even being talked about as a candidate right now. Even crazier all the talk that he'd be #1 if it weren't for Curry.
:tu

We would expect this MVP talk in three or four years when Kawhi reaches his prime, but it's amazing his high level of play so early in his career.

bic50
12-23-2015, 01:42 PM
:tu

We would expect this MVP talk in three or four years when Kawhi reaches his prime, but it's amazing his high level of play so early in his career.

The very fact that even before the season started kawhi was quoted saying he wanted to be an all star and play at mvp level this season and now will be an all star and in mvp discussion is pretty amazing.
Some here of course didn't like him saying that and said he was being selfish but you can't argue the results.

steeledl
12-23-2015, 02:41 PM
If the Spurs win the rest of their games.

Russ
12-23-2015, 02:46 PM
Kawhi's viability as an MVP candidate depends upon team success more than the others.

He will need about two-three titles as the unquestioned leader of his team to win MVP.

If that happens, he might win a lot.

Seventyniner
12-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Kawhi's viability as an MVP candidate depends upon team success more than the others.

He will need about two-three titles as the unquestioned leader of his team to win MVP.

If that happens, he might win a lot.

I disagree. Curry won MVP last year with a 67-15 record and no rings (at the time).

Aldridge is probably perceived to be a bigger star than any non-Curry Warriors player, but if Kawhi leads the Spurs to 67 wins and a 1 seed then he'll be the favorite for MVP. It could happen as early as this year.

AFMadison
12-23-2015, 06:02 PM
I know someone who knows Tonya Harding....

TheGreatYacht
12-23-2015, 06:55 PM
If curry continues his form, prime MJ wouldnt even win MVP.
He's actually coming back down to earth. Draymond has been their best player these last two weeks, and Klay has been catching fire.

Silver&Black
12-23-2015, 07:31 PM

Yep, that'll do it.

:lmao

YGWHI
12-23-2015, 10:43 PM
Can someone screen cap that stat of players who has shot at least 50, 50, 85?

Nash twice, Leonard and Curry.

http://i.imgur.com/JseXcFF.jpg

Kawhitstorm
12-24-2015, 01:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/JseXcFF.jpg

PPG:
Nash: 18+
Kawhi: 21+
Curry: 31+

UNT Eagles 2016
12-24-2015, 01:14 AM
they play in the easy pacific division though

Kawhitstorm
12-24-2015, 01:17 AM
He's actually coming back down to earth. Draymond has been their best player these last two weeks, and Klay has been catching fire.

He looks like he's exhausted, just doesn't have the pep in his step. We'll if he's playing possum when LeBron comes to town.

TheGreatYacht
12-24-2015, 02:48 AM
He looks like he's exhausted, just doesn't have the pep in his step. We'll if he's playing possum when LeBron comes to town.
Shot 5/14 today at home against Raul fucking Neto.

Overrated fag getting Jordan comparisons after a month of great basketball lmao. Easiest cupcake playoff run and early schedule in recent history tbh.

Kawhitstorm
12-24-2015, 02:56 AM

Overrated fag getting Jordan comparisons after a month of great basketball lmao. Easiest cupcake playoff run and early schedule in recent history tbh.

Raul Neto is a very good defender, that's the only reason he's in the league.:lol

TheGreatYacht
12-24-2015, 03:13 AM
Raul Neto is a very good defender, that's the only reason he's in the league.:lol
I don't watch the Jazz but I know that TP dropped 18 & 5 on 7/9 shooting in 21 minutes against Raul Neto :lol I'll take your word on this, just proves Parker is unstoppable atm :wow

Kawhitstorm
12-24-2015, 03:32 AM
I don't watch the Jazz but I know that TP dropped 18 & 5 on 7/9 shooting in 21 minutes against Raul Neto :lol I'll take your word on this, just proves Parker is unstoppable atm :wow

His defense is marginalized against teams that use a lot of picks (i.e. Spurs) just like Kawhi/Clippers. Curry couldn't shake him off when he tried his 1-on-1 shenanigans. In any case, he doesn't play much in the 4th quarter b/c he's a rookie.:lol

TheGreatYacht
12-24-2015, 03:40 AM
His defense is marginalized against teams that use a lot of picks (i.e. Spurs) just like Kawhi/Clippers. Curry couldn't shake him off when he tried his 1-on-1 shenanigans. In any case, he doesn't play much in the 4th quarter b/c he's a rookie.:lol
That vanilla midget will get exposed again on Christmas against Delly

Kyrie's gonna light that ass up too tbh.

Now having to do with the OP. If Kawhi wants a crack at MVP, he needs to check Harden from the first minute next game, and will have to repeat what he did to Curry. Mainstream media will be tuning in, especially every SA-GS game

Kawhitstorm
12-24-2015, 03:50 AM
That vanilla midget will get exposed again on Christmas against Delly

Kyrie's gonna light that ass up too tbh.

Now having to do with the OP. If Kawhi wants a crack at MVP, he needs to check Harden from the first minute next game, and will have to repeat what he did to Curry. Mainstream media will be tuning in, especially every SA-GS game

Harden is shooting 41% & got outplayed by Kirby:lol, I don't think anybody cares who he shuts down after what he did to Durant/Melo/PG unless it's LeBron/Curry. He's most likely going to be matched up against Klay "I"m the best SG in the league" Thompson until crunch time so he can outdo himself from last year by shutting down both Splash Bros in one game.:lol

Spurtacular
12-24-2015, 07:18 AM

Jordan lucked out at the puffy defenders he faced. Only when they played Seattle, McMillan and Payton did he really face a challenge.

Maddog
12-24-2015, 09:41 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/809909-12-nba-rookies-that-will-disappoint-and-prove-to-be-busts-in-2011-12/page/7