PDA

View Full Version : Oberto attends Rookie Camp in NY

Solid D
09-21-2005, 12:49 AM
From Cordoba newspaper. Interesting comments that some players from Europe have been at the Practice Facility working out. Google translation is at bottom. According to Fabri and Googlefish, Tim is a workout Barbarian! :lol

http://www.lmcba.com.ar/2005/05-09-21/6_podio_13.htm
Mié : 21 Sep : 2005
Conociendo el fantástico mundo NBA

MARCELO CHAIJALE :: [email protected]

No empezó la nueva campaña, ni siquiera la pretemporada oficial, pero la NBA tiene todo organizado, principalmente paralos jugadores que llegan por primera vez a la Liga más importante del planeta. Uno de los que está conociendo el mundo NBA es el cordobés Fabricio Oberto, quien desde hace tres semanas está en San Antonio midiendo su nuevo traje, el del campeón Spurs.
Y está cumpliendo con la primera actividad oficial, el Rookie Transition Camp, en New York, junto a todos los jugadores debutantes en la Liga y no tanto, porque también están dos argentinos más, Andrés Nocioni (Chicago Bulls) y Carlos Delfino (Detroit Nocioni), quienes debutaron la temporada pasada y no realizaron el campus. Hoy terminará el pivote de Las Varillas regresará a San Antonio. Oberto cumplió su segundo día del evento, obligatorio de la NBA, pero no quiere perder tiempo y también estuvo entrenando en el gimnasio del hotel en «la gran manzana» y muy tarde, atiende a LA MAÑANA.
-¿De qué se trata este evento?
Te muestran todo la NBA. Específicamente dan charlas sobre la organización de la Liga, las reglas. También enseñan aspectos financieros. Todo es muy útil, te amplía la visión aún más. Es útil para los más jovenes, pero también para nosotros.
-¿Son todos novatos?
Todos los que jugarán su primer año en la Liga, es una regla de la NBA venir al camps. Pero también están Chapu (por Nocioni) y Carlitos (Delfino), porque no pudieron venir el año pasado.
-¿Cómo es la vida en la NBA?
El club es impresionante, todo funciona perfecto. No conozco el estadio de juego, el SBC Center, pero el campo de entrenamiento es fantástico, tremendo. Aún no estamos en la pretemporada, pero estoy entrenando muy duro, como a mí gusta y es muy lindo. Se entrena bien y duro.
-¿Qué estás haciendo en esta etapa, antes de la pretemporada?
Además del plan físico, estamos jugando muchos partidos con algunos de los jugadores del equipo con otros que viven en San Antonio y algunos de Europa que están en el ciudad. Se juega libre, picados, pero los Spurs lo hacemos juntos. Y (Gregg, el entrenador) Popovich está viendo las prácticas
-¿Estuviste con Duncan?
Sí, está entrenando. Tim (Duncan) es bárbaro.
-¿Y con Manu, cómo va?
Pasamos mucho tiempo juntos, me enseña muchas cosas y me ayuda muchísimo a adaptarme lo mejor posible. Me será muy útil tenerlo a Manu al lado.
-¿La gente en San Antonio ya te reconoce?
Sí, hay bastante gente que me reconoce, me hace pasar muy bien, me dieron mucho cariño. En San Antonio se vive mucho el básquetbol y estar en la NBA es un salto muy importante, en mi carrera y mi vida.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
English translator version

21 Sep : 2005

http://www.lmcba.com.ar/2005/05-09-21/img/Pod/p37-1.jpg
The Cordovan is in New York in an official activity for the novices.

Knowing fantastic world NBA

MARCELO CHAIJALE:: to [email protected]

The new campaign did not begin, not even the official preseason, but the NBA has everything organized, mainly paralos players who arrive for the first time at most important Liga of the planet. One that it is knowing world NBA is the Cordovan Fabricio Oberto, who for three weeks has been in San Antonio measuring his new suit, the one of the Spurs champion.
And it is fulfilling the first official activity, the Rookie Transition Camp, in New York, next to all the newcomer players in Liga and not as much, because also they are two Argentineans more, Andrés Nocioni (Chicago Bulls) and Carlos Delfino (Detroit Nocioni), who made debut the last season and they did not make the campus. Today the pivot of the Rods will finish will return to San Antonio. Oberto turned its second day of the event, obligatory of the NBA, but it does not want to waste time and also it was training in the gymnasium of the hotel in "the great apple" and very late, it takes care of the MORNING.
- what is east event?
They show all the NBA. to you Specifically give to char them on the organization of Liga, the rules. Also they teach financial aspects. Everything is very useful, extends the vision still more to you. Jovenes is useful for the pluses, but also for us.
- They are all novices?
All those that will play their first year in Liga, are a rule of the NBA to come to camps. But also they are Chapu (by Nocioni) and Carlitos (Delfino), because they could not come the last year.
- How it is the life in the NBA?
The club is impressive, everything works perfect. I do not know stage game, the SBC Center, but the training field is fantastic, tremendous. Not yet we are in the preseason, but I am training very hard, as to me it pleases and he is very pretty. One trains well and hard.
- What you are doing in this stage, before the preseason?
In addition to the physical plan, we are playing many parties with some of the players of the equipment with which live in San Antonio and some of Europe that is in the city. One gambles frees, mincemeats, but the Spurs we make it together. And (Gregg, the trainer) Popovich is seeing the practices
- You were with Duncan?
Yes, it is training. Tim (Duncan) is Barbarian.
- and with Manu, how it goes?
We spent long time together, it teaches many things to me and it helps me very many to adapt best the possible thing to me. He will be to me very useful to have it to Manu alongside.
- people in San Antonio already recognize to you?
Yes, there is the enough people who recognize to me, makes me happen very well, gave much affection me. In San Antonio básquetbol is lived much and to be in the NBA is a very important jump, in my race and my life.

alamo50
09-21-2005, 01:22 AM
I hope he will succeed.
I am already a fan of Obe.

xcoriate
09-21-2005, 02:23 AM
me too. Should really contend for minutes.

Dalamar_the_Dark
09-21-2005, 02:25 AM
- You were with Duncan?
Yes, it is training. Tim (Duncan) is Barbarian.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
09-21-2005, 07:43 AM
My translation:

Getting to know the NBA’s fantastic world.

The new campaign hasn’t begun yet, not even the official preseason, but the NBA has everything organized, specially for the players that arrive for the first time to the World’s most important league. One of those who is discovering the NBA world is the Cordoban Fabricio Oberto, who has been measuring his new uniform for three weeks in San Antonio, the Spurs champs uniform.

And he is fulfilling with the first official activity, the Rookie Transition Camp, in New York, with other rookies in the league, and not quite so, because there are other two Argentinians, Andrés Nocioni (Chicago Bulls) and Carlos Delfino (Detroit Pistons), who made their debuts last season but didn’t attend the camp. Today it will end and the Center from Las Varillas will return to San Antonio. Oberto attended his second day at the event, an NBA obligation, but he doesn’t want to spare time and he also was training in the hotel’s gym in “The Big Apple”, and very late he answers the call from LA MAÑANA (The Morning).

- What is this event about?

- They show you everything about the NBA. Specially they give talks about how the league is organized, the rules. They also teach financial aspects. Everything was very useful, it gives you a wider vision. It’s useful for the younger ones, but also for us.

- Are they all rookies?

- Everyone who is playing their first year in the league, it’s an NBA rule to attend the camp. But here also are Chapu (Nocioni) and Carlitos (Delfino), because they couldn’t attend last year.

- How is the life in the NBA?

- The franchise is amazing, everything works perfectly. I haven’t been to the Arena yet, the SBC Center, but the training facilities are fantastic, amazing. We haven’t started our preseason yet, but I’m training very hard, they way I like it, and it’s very nice. The training is good and hard.

- What are you doing in this stage, before preseason?

- Besides from the physical plan, we are playing many games with some of the players in the team, others that live in San Antonio and some of Europe that are in the city. It’s freestyle, but we the Spurs do it together. And (Gregg, the coach) Poppovich is watching the training.

- Were you with Duncan?

- Yes, he is training. Tim (Duncan) is *amazing, spectacular or nice*:lol

- And with Manu, how’s it going?

- We spend a lot of time together, he teaches me a lot of things and he is helping me a lot with my adaptation. It will be very helpful having Manu by my side.

- Do the people in San Antonio know who you are?

- Yes, there is plenty of people that recognizes me, it gives me a good time, they showed much affection to me. In San Antonio basketball is lived very much, and being in the NBA is a very important jump in my career and my life.

flyboy1979
09-21-2005, 07:51 AM
:depressed awww, left hand, why did you change it, I was getting to like Pop's new nickname: Gregg "the trainer" Popovich!

ObiwanGinobili
09-21-2005, 07:51 AM
I'm allready an Oberto fan... I love his attitude!! :tu

kolko
09-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Manu came back to Argentina last weekend. He was in Jujuy (north of Argentina) yesterday.

batman2883
09-21-2005, 08:13 AM
I am already a huge Oberto fan as well im praying to god he takes the second spot on the roster right away so that awful player Rasho rides the patella tendonitis bench all year long.....

Solid D
09-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Rasho is not an awful player. In a basketball sea of size-15 inch feet, sprained ankles are inevitible. A 7-footer with a good understanding of the Spurs' help defense and someone who can set excellent screens for the scorers should not be scorned. His salary is high for a role-player, but as long as he is an asset - it may turn out the Spurs really need him for a key stretch of games.

Summers
09-21-2005, 08:47 AM
Cool interview! Thanks for posting/translating!

batman2883
09-21-2005, 08:48 AM
Rasho may be a presence on defense but all i ask is for the man to be a little aggressive with the boards on the offensive side, i mean is that too hard to ask....when you play on a championship squad, you should play like a champion not half assed only playing a one dimensional game. Be aggressive thats all

Solid D
09-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Rasho may be a presence on defense but all i ask is for the man to be a little aggressive with the boards on the offensive side, i mean is that too hard to ask....when you play on a championship squad, you should play like a champion not half assed only playing a one dimensional game. Be aggressive thats all

I agree that Rasho should be more aggressive.

FromWayDowntown
09-21-2005, 12:45 PM
I'd agree, too, that Rasho should be more aggressive. But it's awfully hard to sell me on the idea that a guy like Nazr has more game than Rasho does.

Rasho is, by far, the superior defensive presence of the two -- he's a better positional defender, a better help defender, and a better shot blocker. Rasho is, also, a far more polished offensive player than Nazr. Look at the numbers Rasho puts up without Tim and you can see that the dude has the ability to be a top-10 center in the NBA.

What Rasho lacks (and can't ever seem to find) is the ability to put it all together and play with a little fire and maybe even a slight bit of selfishness.

I actually hope that having both Nazr and Oberto around for an entire season will cause Rasho to find some fire and play with some aggression just to get some minutes.

I don't know that anyone of us can say for certain who will start at center for the Spurs come opening night.

coopdogg3
09-21-2005, 01:22 PM
I have an itchy feeling that the center that starts for the Spurs, and the center that finishes the season (with an NBA Championship victory) could be two different people. I also predict the Spurs will be mentioned quite a bit when the trade deadline comes around. Should be a fun year.

coopdogg3

T Park
09-21-2005, 02:20 PM
What Rasho lacks (and can't ever seem to find) is the ability to put it all together and play with a little fire and maybe even a slight bit of selfishness

Part of that is what also makes him a great team player and what helped the Spurs win a ring in june, while not putting up a fuss.

FromWayDowntown
09-21-2005, 02:44 PM
Part of that is what also makes him a great team player and what helped the Spurs win a ring in june, while not putting up a fuss.

Well, it makes him a good teammate. Generally, you have to be on the floor to be a good team player. Rasho could have been such a bigger factor in that run, but you're right in saying that Rasho's lack of aggression probably plays a part in his willingness to not fuss about losing his playing time.

I think (hope) that Pop will use last season's playoff run as a spark to try to light a fire under Rasho. Having a motivated and inspired Rasho for 2005-06 would make the Spurs even better than most anticipate they will be.

LilMissSPURfect
09-22-2005, 12:58 AM
-¿Estuviste con Duncan?
Sí, está entrenando. Tim (Duncan) es bárbaro.

[/B]

:oops

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
09-22-2005, 01:04 AM
Hehehe,

bárbaro,-a
1 adjetivo HISTORIA barbarian.
2 adjetivo (cruel) barbaric, savage, cruel.
3 adjetivo (temerario) daring.
4 adjetivo familiar (grande) enormous, tremendous.
5 adjetivo familiar (espléndido) fantastic, terrific: nos dieron una comida bárbara, they gave us a fantastic lunch.
6 nombre masculino y femenino HISTORIA barbarian.
7 bárbaro, adverbio 0: lo pasamos bárbaro, we had a great time.

drivanroca
09-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Hehehe,

bárbaro,-a
1 adjetivo HISTORIA barbarian.
2 adjetivo (cruel) barbaric, savage, cruel.
3 adjetivo (temerario) daring.
4 adjetivo familiar (grande) enormous, tremendous.
5 adjetivo familiar (espléndido) fantastic, terrific: nos dieron una comida bárbara, they gave us a fantastic lunch.
6 nombre masculino y femenino HISTORIA barbarian.
7 bárbaro, adverbio 0: lo pasamos bárbaro, we had a great time.

:tu