PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Simmons is what we were hoping from James Anderson all along

UNT Eagles 2016
12-24-2015, 12:42 AM
Before the hamstring injuries and Jones fracture, though. That guy had raw potential but injuries derailed his career before it even had a chance.

That being said, I really think Simmons should be our full time 4th wing. He's better than Kyle Anderson and it's not even close.

ChumpDumper
12-24-2015, 12:44 AM
Not exactly.

UNT Eagles 2016
12-24-2015, 12:49 AM
Not exactly.

heh?

ChumpDumper
12-24-2015, 12:50 AM
heh?heh.

Kawhitstorm
12-24-2015, 12:50 AM
Anderson was strictly a shooter/scorer meanwhile Simmons is being groomed into a ball handler/slasher/defender who can hit the corner 3

UNT Eagles 2016
12-24-2015, 12:55 AM
Anderson was strictly a shooter/scorer meanwhile Simmons is being groomed into a ball handler/slasher/defender who can hit the corner 3

The former Anderson was a slasher who could get to the rim and draw fouls. He showed flashes of brilliance early in his rookie year, but then came the injuries. JA was also a good shooter when given the opportunity, and the best wing defender we had on those RJ/Neal/Manu/Anderson teams.

100%duncan
12-24-2015, 01:02 AM
Simmons>Anderson(both)

K...
12-24-2015, 01:05 AM
Anderson was drafted bc he could shoot. At the time he was drafted we didn't want a driving sg. We wanted Danny green....You know the guy who helped do much for the last three seasons? That guy?

So while I don't disagree with op that Simmons is a good pickup op is kind of forcing the comparison and skipping the obvious Anderson successor.

Ok try this..Simmons is the George hill we traded away..........

UNT Eagles 2016
12-24-2015, 01:06 AM
Anderson was drafted bc he could shoot. At the time he was drafted we didn't want a driving sg. We wanted Danny green....You know the guy who helped do much for the last three seasons? That guy?

So while I don't disagree with op that Simmons is a good pickup op is kind of forcing the comparison and skipping the obvious Anderson successor.

Simmons has like 4 inches of height, 16 inches of vertical and 8 shades of melanin on Hill.

ChumpDumper
12-24-2015, 01:10 AM
Simmons has like 4 inches of height, 16 inches of vertical and 8 shades of melanin on Hill.Not really.

dweaver99027
12-24-2015, 01:27 AM
The guy can play. If he can tighten up his ball handling, he'll be able to play in pressure situations.

Kawhitstorm
12-24-2015, 01:31 AM

Simmons game is similar to CoJo. George was a polished player, comfortable shooters, very good defender & wasn't much of a playmaker. Simmons is raw, a hesitant shooter, can make plays & his defense is more about energy than skill aka an oversized CoJo.

Mr. Body
12-24-2015, 01:35 AM
You were doing okay before pointlessly comparing him to KA.

TrainOfThought5
12-24-2015, 02:18 AM
Simmons has "Solid" potential. JA had "difference maker" potential. I say no.

HarlemHeat37
12-24-2015, 02:21 AM
:lol James Anderson, one of the shittiest players of the Duncan era, tbh..

DJR210
12-24-2015, 02:45 AM
:lol LDN ended Anderson's career

BG_Spurs_Fan
12-24-2015, 02:49 AM
Bad comparison tbh.

2centsworth
12-24-2015, 04:26 AM
JA had good potential, but what I remember distinctly was how out of shape he was his first game. He was breathing so hard I thought he was going to collapse.

TheGreatYacht
12-24-2015, 04:55 AM
James Anderson. Name brings back so many bad memories from The Dark Days

steeledl
12-24-2015, 05:29 AM
Before the hamstring injuries and Jones fracture, though. That guy had raw potential but injuries derailed his career before it even had a chance.

That being said, I really think Simmons should be our full time 4th wing. He's better than Kyle Anderson and it's not even close.

id like to see the Spurs move anderson for a draft pick to some desperate team who thinks he is worth a shit. The more we play him the more is value drops.

ceperez
12-24-2015, 06:28 AM
James Anderson was drafted because he was the best shooter that was available. However, he never had the basketball IQ or the defense demanded by the Spurs.

Simmons isn't a shooter, in fact his jump shot may be suspect. His mid range shot is non-existent. He has a decent set shot (3 point percentage at .467) and is a very good finisher. His quickness and length give him potential to be a good defender.

Pauleta14
12-24-2015, 06:45 AM
heh.

:lol You're one of my favorite posters on ST Chump, keep the good work! :toast

thiste
12-24-2015, 07:36 AM
I feel like Pop likes Simmons as a "Kawhi light" off the bench, keeping the defensive pressure up and hustling on offense. I see Kyle as a longer term project for Pop. Can't really compare those two even if it's tempting.

exstatic
12-24-2015, 10:51 AM
id like to see the Spurs move anderson for a draft pick to some desperate team who thinks he is worth a shit. The more we play him the more is value drops.

We get that you don't like him. It's pretty obvious, but the lies need to stop. The more he plays the better his numbers are. About the only area where I'm unhappy is FT%. His FG% is 45, and has 3G% is 40. He rebounds, passes, and gets steals and blocks based on length alone. You're going to be really unhappy hating on him going forward, because PATFO seem to really like the kid.

steeledl
12-24-2015, 11:48 AM
We get that you don't like him. It's pretty obvious, but the lies need to stop. The more he plays the better his numbers are. About the only area where I'm unhappy is FT%. His FG% is 45, and has 3G% is 40. He rebounds, passes, and gets steals and blocks based on length alone. You're going to be really unhappy hating on him going forward, because PATFO seem to really like the kid.

he played one decent game....... Now he is a part of the long term plans of this organization. How quickly everyone crawls out of their holes after 1 decent game.

this is maybe is 2nd decent NBA game in 2 seasons and you guys how think he is a part of the future..... That is pretty nuts. .

SAGirl
12-24-2015, 11:49 AM
Simmons game is similar to CoJo. George was a polished player, comfortable shooters, very good defender & wasn't much of a playmaker. Simmons is raw, a hesitant shooter, can make plays & his defense is more about energy than skill aka an oversized CoJo.

Good comparison offensively. He's obviously more explosive, taller and stronger, so he's more versatile defensively, can stick with some larger guys, and he's a better passer. Cojo has massively improved though and he's still younger than Simmons, but they do have some similarities. The basis of their game revolves around attacking the rim.

SAGirl
12-24-2015, 12:02 PM
I feel like Pop likes Simmons as a "Kawhi light" off the bench, keeping the defensive pressure up and hustling on offense. I see Kyle as a longer term project for Pop. Can't really compare those two even if it's tempting.

Very different players. Kyle is probably his own style of pkayer in the way you can't say Boris Diaw's game is exactly ike____ (fill in the blank). Dias is unique and has a unique skill set that cannot easily be replicated by another player. You won't find another Kyle anywhere either. He's also unique and when he breaks through for us no one else will be able to replicate exactly what he does.

People will compare both guys bc of one roster spot is being divided to develop both of them, but in the near future we will need both guys to play well. It is possible to like both, I do, even if you have a favorite.

SAGirl
12-24-2015, 12:09 PM

Steele will probably need to start following another team if he's going to keep on hating this young guy with such passion or he will get an aneurysm bc Kyle will play and will probably be around for at least the length of his rookie contract.

steeledl
12-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Steele will probably need to start following another team if he's going to keep on hating this young guy with such passion or he will get an aneurysm bc Kyle will play and will probably be around for at least the length of his rookie contract.

lol if he ever becomes good I'll like him.

T Park
12-24-2015, 03:51 PM

Someone who missed the game last night.

ceperez
12-24-2015, 06:12 PM
he played one decent game....... Now he is a part of the long term plans of this organization. How quickly everyone crawls out of their holes after 1 decent game.

this is maybe is 2nd decent NBA game in 2 seasons and you guys how think he is a part of the future..... That is pretty nuts. .

The haters are just ridiculous. Anderson already has more upside that other Spurs round picks.... Cojo, James Anderson, Livo Jean Charles. He was drafted later than all 3.

He's got better basketball IQ than all 3. He's got more length that all Cojo and James Anderson. He's performed better in SL than any of the 3. In fact he's done better than George Hill in SL. In fact, he's got higher upside than George Hill.

steeledl
12-24-2015, 07:37 PM
The haters are just ridiculous. Anderson already has more upside that other Spurs round picks.... Cojo, James Anderson, Livo Jean Charles. He was drafted later than all 3.

He's got better basketball IQ than all 3. He's got more length that all Cojo and James Anderson. He's performed better in SL than any of the 3. In fact he's done better than George Hill in SL. In fact, he's got higher upside than George Hill.

Its retarded to think he has more upside than hill but that is just a homer take like most of any positive takes on anderson.

elemento
12-24-2015, 07:45 PM
Nah

James was never so athletic and he was expected to be an elite shooter out of college (which he was). His failure was probably a mix of unlucky injuries, some laziness pos-injury and the fact that he is the shittiest ball-handler guard I've ever seen.

dabom
12-24-2015, 08:11 PM
KA more upside than Ghill. :lmao

SAGirl
12-24-2015, 08:36 PM

:tu:tu:toast

Agree. Steele is pure unadulterated subjective hate. You can't reason with him.

Probably will bust a nut and bandwagon with some really athletic team when Anderson starts to really blossom for the Spurs. He has indeed achieved more up to this point than all the other former Spurs you mention, who by the way, are really nice players themselves ( except LJC, right now he doesn't look like an NBA player, too raw).

koriwhat
12-24-2015, 09:13 PM
James Anderson. Name brings back so many bad memories from The Dark Days

The dark days? oh you mean back when portland fucked us every playoffs? dark days... lol

ElNono
12-24-2015, 09:15 PM
I don't even remember what we were hoping James Anderson to be...

jag
12-24-2015, 09:38 PM

A shooter/scorer and defender. I remember he couldn't dribble for shit. I think he was supposed to be what Danny Green turned into...before Danny turned into whatever the hell he is right now.

cutewizard
12-24-2015, 11:57 PM
Kyle rulessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss hehehehe

Sec24Row7
12-25-2015, 11:01 AM
Simmons is already better than Anderson in the system.

ceperez
12-25-2015, 11:05 AM

If I recall, he would be an athletic catch and shoot player. I guess a bigger Gary Neal.

cjw
12-25-2015, 01:40 PM
James Anderson, highest (earned) draft pick at #20 since Duncan. Pretty remarkable.

ceperez
12-25-2015, 02:33 PM
James Anderson, highest (earned) draft pick at #20 since Duncan. Pretty remarkable.

For Spurs, that is practically a draft bust.

Darkwaters
12-25-2015, 09:50 PM
The former Anderson was a slasher who could get to the rim and draw fouls. He showed flashes of brilliance early in his rookie year, but then came the injuries. JA was also a good shooter when given the opportunity, and the best wing defender we had on those RJ/Neal/Manu/Anderson teams.

James Anderson was nowhere near the athlete that Simmons is. Also, his defense was average to above average at best. Not a liability but not a major difference maker either. Anderson was definitely billed as the better shooter though (at least coming out of college). He also wasn't a creator or a slasher.

Darkwaters
12-25-2015, 10:00 PM

Basically a Michael Finley replacement. And I don't mean Mike in his prime....or Mike the PF. I mean a quality spot-up shooter that could drop 3's on people with consistency.

Unfortunately, Anderson broke his foot a few games into the season. Because of that we gave Gary Neal a chance and he showed that he had ice water in his veins and could drill from deep. We also brought in Danny Green that season (a couple of times actually) and by the next season he had stuck and was starting to make an impact. Anderson never really seemed to recover fully or develop and the better options that the Spurs found on the scrapheap straight up outplayed him.