PDA

View Full Version : Jonathon Simmons is garbage defensively

dabom
12-25-2015, 10:46 PM
Please no more people call this guy a defensive player. FYI You make yourself look stupid.:lmao

timtonymanu
12-25-2015, 10:47 PM
Agreed. KA has been much better defensively. But Simmons is a better shooter.

cjw
12-25-2015, 10:48 PM
Yup. Anderson should have been out there in this game based on matchups / skill (Simmons CANNOT fight through screens), but Pop likely have Simmons the run as he's a Houston kid. He obviously doesn't care about the RS.

steeledl
12-25-2015, 10:49 PM
Please no more people call this guy a defensive player. FYI You make yourself look stupid.:lmao

He isn't garbage... He is the tools to be a good defender but he isn't there yet. I don't think most people think he is already an elite defender but that he can be really good with time and experience.

dabom
12-25-2015, 10:50 PM
He isn't garbage... He is the tools to be a good defender but he isn't there yet. I don't think most people think he is already an elite defender but that he can be really good with time and experience.

He doesn't have the tools though. Dude is flat footed. :lmao

100%duncan
12-25-2015, 10:56 PM
It gets even worse when he's playing with Manu's corpse. That line up sucks defensively. And offensively is manu is off like tonight.

100%duncan
12-25-2015, 10:56 PM
Simmons is still a gem though. Better than Anderson at least.

tholdren
12-25-2015, 10:57 PM
Lol discussion on defense in the nba.

dabom
12-25-2015, 10:58 PM
Simmons is still a gem though. Better than Anderson at least.
Yeah I still think he is better than KA.

100%duncan
12-25-2015, 11:00 PM
Yeah I still think he is better than KA.

We're amazed at how he's been actually good this season that we sometimes forget to lower the expectations. There is a reason why he's a 26 yr old rookie.

still.focused
12-25-2015, 11:01 PM
Defense is about effort
If he was half as determined to defend as he is to pass up open jumpers and slash toward an already congested lane he'd be starting
I recognize how uncommon Kawhi is
But Simmons could n should be salivating at Bein able to learn anything he can from him

ceperez
12-26-2015, 06:49 AM
He's good, but he needs to study the players he's defending. He got torched by Rockets veteran bench. Not happening come playoff time when there's more study time.

Defense requires not only talent, but a lot of discipline and study. You need to know a players tendencies and anticipate where he's going to go. You just can't play good defense against someone you are familiar with.

Raven
12-26-2015, 07:22 AM

indeed

Raven
12-26-2015, 07:23 AM
Agreed. KA has been much better defensively. But Simmons is a better shooter.

he-s not a better shooter either

Cklbmk
12-26-2015, 11:55 AM
I'm not concerned until I see the 2nd time he matches up with these players on defense.

He has all the tools and seems to have the right mentality in his interviews. I think Pop is just using this part of the season to get him experience in hopes for it all clicking by playoffs.

I think hes doing the same thing with Kawhi and closing games / late shot clock situations too.

Kuvai
12-26-2015, 12:32 PM
Simmons needs to make wide open shots instead of extra pass...

He looks indecesive when to take a shot..

LaMarcus Bryant
12-26-2015, 02:00 PM
I've never seen somebody have that much difficulty with screens

SAGirl
12-26-2015, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't say he's garbage, but Kyle has been much better defensively and he is only 22 years old, has real length, size, good hands and anticipation. Does a better job going under/over screens and contesting shots. Simmons athleticism only helps him in pressuring the ball. He also still plays out of control and falls down a whole lot leaving his guy open due to his out of control movement.

His best feature defensively is that he's quick enough to pressure the ball, but that is pointless when he gets screened so easily. Yesterday he gave up open 3s and direct drives to the rim after a simple high screen.

Raven
12-26-2015, 05:24 PM
I'm not concerned until I see the 2nd time he matches up with these players on defense.

He has all the tools and seems to have the right mentality in his interviews. I think Pop is just using this part of the season to get him experience in hopes for it all clicking by playoffs.

I think hes doing the same thing with Kawhi and closing games / late shot clock situations too.
No. Simmons will not be in the rotation in the play offs.

Raven
12-26-2015, 05:25 PM

you may want to google this guy called cancernelli

Raven
12-26-2015, 05:27 PM
Defense is about effort
If he was half as determined to defend as he is to pass up open jumpers and slash toward an already congested lane he'd be starting
I recognize how uncommon Kawhi is
But Simmons could n should be salivating at Bein able to learn anything he can from him

offense is much more about effort than defense. If you're dumb or can't contest someone's jumper, effort won't save you. I'm not saying that is simmons's case, just point out the obvious.

BackHome
12-26-2015, 06:49 PM
How many first year players actually play huge minutes or make a huge impact on offense or defense?

Kawhitstorm
12-26-2015, 06:55 PM

He doesn't seem to be sure what to do on rotations/switches, he is probably not comfortable w/ the skim/system. Considering his issues on the other end early in the season, he should get better defensively as he gets a hang of the skims.

dabom
12-26-2015, 08:28 PM
How many first year players actually play huge minutes or make a huge impact on offense or defense?

Only the true great ones do.

SAGirl
12-26-2015, 09:47 PM
He is older, and was 2 years in the dleague toiling away at his craft, so he's not your typical newbie rookie. It is still and adjustment. I root for him to get better, and he has improved a whole lot in a short amount of time. He seems to be hungry and taking advantage of every opportunity.

I am just very realistic in what I am watching. His biggest impact is offensively.

I hope he improves defensively though, Pop loves him and he's likely to continue as the 4th wing. (I think Anderson showed too much hesitation early and besides, right now for what the bench needs Simmons is great bc he allows the bench to really push the tempo.) He's not better defensively than Anderson though, that is a fact.

ElNono
12-26-2015, 11:29 PM
I like his activity... He's not a beast but he's way better than, say, Mills or Beli...

Even guys like Green have trouble with well set screens, communication is key there, it's not a deal break IMO...

We'll see if he can improve as he gains respect from the refs, etc, or if this is his ceiling

baseline bum
12-26-2015, 11:38 PM
The guy is a rookie, and rookies almost always cost you points. Rookies get destroyed defensively, I mean the guy has never seen players of this caliber before. But he's got talent and this coaching staff has shown a great ability to turn raw talent into solid players. What they have done with Malik Rose, Tony Parker, Stephen Jackson, Danny Green, and Kawhi Leonard has been incredible, and Simmons looks like another good project for this staff. No one should expect him to be shutting people down this year though, he's not checking NBDL talent any more.

Kawhitstorm
12-26-2015, 11:45 PM
The guy is a rookie, and rookies almost always cost you points. Rookies get destroyed defensively, I mean the guy has never seen players of this caliber before. But he's got talent and this coaching staff has shown a great ability to turn raw talent into solid players. What they have done with Malik Rose, Tony Parker, Stephen Jackson, Danny Green, and Kawhi Leonard has been incredible, and Simmons looks like another good project for this staff. No one should expect him to be shutting people down this year though, he's not checking NBDL talent any more.

He doesn't have the respect of the refs so he can't get away w/ things that Kawhi/Danny can on occasions nor is he going to get the benefit of the doubt. He had a clean block & they called a foul but the zebras were on some BS tonight.:lol

SAGirl
12-27-2015, 03:19 AM
He doesn't have the respect of the refs so he can't get away w/ things that Kawhi/Danny can on occasions nor is he going to get the benefit of the doubt. He had a clean block & they called a foul but the zebras were on some BS tonight.:lol

They do that with Anderson too. Has gotten several blocks he has not been credited for and clean strips that were called fouls. Overall though, Simms has a positive net impact.